“Don't support the exploitation of these children guides”
Review of Patok Cave

Reviewed December 4, 2017 via mobile

About 20 minute walk from the bridge. The cave is interesting and the views are nice. Although there is some kind of scam running there. I paid the 10k kip entrance fee after which 2 boys, each about 10 years old, started walking with me to the cave. They point their flashlights at some (often random) points in the cave. Afterwards they ask for a tip. I saw on my way there that the boys were with some adult (who just sits there smoking and looking pretty suspicious). They are obviously being used to get some money out of tourists. DON'T SUPPORT THIS. This doesn't help the children and has no good effects on the local people except that shady adult.

Date of experience: December 2017
in 8 reviews
"pha"
"parts"

Reviewed November 19, 2017

The cave was used as a secret hospital and munitions dump (good mix?) during the Vietnam War. An interesting view for those who don’t mind confined spaces from time to time (crawling only in parts). The cave runs into the hillside some 300m and 50 year old canned goods and supplies are still visible in the deepest part of the cave. It could be improved with improved access but if you want to work hard and go deep be prepared to get a bit grubby.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed November 6, 2017

From town, you'll have to cross the Nam Ou bridge and continue up the road for about 2 miles through the winding roads. You'll eventually see a sign for the caves on the right. Entrance fee is 10,000 kip per person. There isn't a whole lot to see, but the surrounding area is beautiful. The cave itself is bigger than I imagined, but they can be explored in a matter of minutes. This is not a must-do activity, but if you're passing through, I'd recommend stopping by. The history of the site is interesting enough.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed September 22, 2017

Its a lovely walk from town to the caves, and an interesting experience when you get there, and an important part of the history of the country. Not hugely exciting but a pleasant experience overall.

Date of experience: February 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed April 10, 2017

For historical value, this is a place you should visit. A shelter for the villagers during the secret war. It is a sobering though and you could imagine what people had to do to survive during those times. It is as a previous reviewer said, "a couple of rooms" in a cave. The off-putting part was the kid who was creeping me out by following us into every dark cave corner and turning on his flashlight. He didn't say a word but kept shadowing my husband when I tried to lose him. I turned around once and he was right behind me and I jumped! I heard of the kids who wanted money for a "tour." I don't fault him for trying to make some cash but I feel they should offer it up front and not try to hustle you when you're trying to see in a dark cave. When I came out to the entrance, I saw the same kid hanging out with the ticket guy. They're probably in cahoots.

Date of experience: April 2017