“A wonderful experience”
Review of Green Discovery

Green Discovery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The office in Nong Khiaw is currently closed. Feel free to visit our office in Luang Prabang or our website to book a tour in this region or in other cities in Laos.
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Contrary to other recent reviewers, my Wife and I have nothing but praise for Green Discovery. We booked a 2 day trip which included short visits to a number of villages, a trek to a waterfall, an overnight stay in a Hmong village, and kayaking. Our guide Lia was great - he spoke excellent English (way better than our attempts at the Lao language) and was very friendly and caring, with the eagerness and ability to tell us stories of his country, its beliefs and customs. Our overnight stay in the Hmong village was particularly special and authentic-it certainly had no modern conveniences, but the warmth of the welcome given to us was overwhelming. Being allowed to hold the family baby while sitting on the kitchen floor, and being told stories of their life was something that we felt privileged to be a part of.

All reviews
"dam"
"rapids"
"paddling"

Reviewed 21 November 2017

Our guide Jo spoke badly English. My Lao friend had to translate most of the (few) things he told me. Most of the time he was speaking Lao with my friend.
The visit to the Hmong village of Muang Ngoi is nothing special. Similar visits in Vietnam or Myanmar are much more interesting, as these village are still authentic and not overloaded with bars, guesthouses, free WiFi- and Happy-hours-signs.
The waterfall was nice, but nothing special and once again: there are better sites in the surrounding countries.
During the kayak-trip back to Nong Khiaw, Jo was speeding away, not waiting once to see if I was fine, alone in my kayak. If something had happened, he’d still be unaware of it to date.

Book elsewhere at an agency who knows how to look after their customers, paying quite a sum (US$ 62 p.p.)!

Reviewed 16 November 2017

I booked a day trip from nong khiaw to muang ngoi neua. The pickup from our accommodation was okay. However, i was very disconcerted to find that instead of catching the boat from the nong khiaw boat pier, we were driven to the other side of the river and told to walk down a dirt path (off the side of a dirt track) to the boat. The path was muddy, slippery and steep in parts. We had to climb over a small plank platform and boat that was there to get onto our boat.

Our guide (lia) was unwell. We only had brief commentary when we went out to muang ngoi neua on the boat. The tour took us through the town (i'd say that we were more "guided" here). This included a tour of a school.

Then we went to phanoi cave. The path up to the first cave was really terrible - steep, slippery and the hand rails were useless as they kept coming off. I am below average fitness and barely made it up to the first cave. After decent rains, the first cave has leeches, so be prepared for this. It had not rained for several days when i made my visit, so there were no leaches in the phanoi cave #1. There isn't much to see in the cave and it is slippery (but not like the path). You can only walk around 200 metres into the cave.

I could not go further and we headed back down to have our lunch. I slipped and fell twice and badly pulled my quad muscle - it was that slippery. The minute you put your foot down, you slipped. Had to hold onto the railing (which moved and fell down) for dear life. Unfortunately, my guide did not bother to check on me on the way down (and left me a bit bereft when i needed it and marched ahead of me), though he did provide assistance on the way up.

The lunch provided was a vegetarian meal, but we shared some with our boat driver and guide (who had their own food too). One good experience was the fresh pomelo we had from one of the surrounding trees.

It was only after that we got taken to ban sop jeam (the tour program said that we were to go in the morning). Our guide fell asleep on the boat on the way up and back from ban sop jeam. When we were in ban sop jeam, we didn't get much of a tour and were told to have a walk around the town by ourselves. To top things off, when we asked to go to toilet, we were taken to the guide's "friend's" place and asked to make a donation. (Fyi, was a little bit shocked about being brazenly asked for donations by children whilst walking through ban sop jeam).

When we got back to nong khiaw, instead of being let off at the boat pier, we were taken further up the river to a spot to disembark off the boat (closer to our hotel). Our guide told us that it was straight forward to get to the road and then walk to the hotel and left us to fend for ourselves. We got a bit lost plus we had to cross a very narrow and slippery bridge over the sewer (several feet underneath us) to get back to the main road. My travelling companion nearly slipped and fell into the sewer!

Our guide told me that he had too much to drink the night before and didn't sleep well. Whilst i appreciate the honesty, it has left me with a not so good impression of the professionalism of the staff at green discovery.

Muang ngoi neua and the cruise up the nam ou is worth paying a visit to, notwithstanding this.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed an amazing experience kayaking from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang over 3 days with our great guide Thong!
We stayed in wonderful little homestays in villages that had only seen westerners a couple of times and had the best experience with them.
The Kayaking was great, not too hard and Thong adapted the trip and lengths of days depending on how energetic we were feeling which was great!
The scenery was so stunning and I really feel we were able to see the real Laos. Highly recommend this experience to other travellers!!!!