Review Highlights
Exploring Nong Khiaw

This review is long overdue. We spent 3 days in the village of Nong Khiaw . We booked a transport... read more

Reviewed January 10, 2017
Margaret037
Bern, Switzerland
Incredible kayaking adventure!!

Enjoyed an amazing experience kayaking from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang over 3 days with our great... read more

Reviewed April 28, 2017
Kirsten S
via mobile

All reviews muang ngoi day trip spoke excellent english kayak toilet customs commentary lia lao village guide waterfall trek
Reviewed November 21, 2017

Our guide Jo spoke badly English. My Lao friend had to translate most of the (few) things he told me. Most of the time he was speaking Lao with my friend.
The visit to the Hmong village of Muang Ngoi is nothing special. Similar visits in Vietnam or Myanmar are much more interesting, as these village are still authentic and not overloaded with bars, guesthouses, free WiFi- and Happy-hours-signs.
The waterfall was nice, but nothing special and once again: there are better sites in the surrounding countries.
During the kayak-trip back to Nong Khiaw, Jo was speeding away, not waiting once to see if I was fine, alone in my kayak. If something had happened, he’d still be unaware of it to date.

Book elsewhere at an agency who knows how to look after their customers, paying quite a sum (US$ 62 p.p.)!

1  Thank 2015w0rldtraveller
Reviewed November 16, 2017

I booked a day trip from nong khiaw to muang ngoi neua. The pickup from our accommodation was okay. However, i was very disconcerted to find that instead of catching the boat from the nong khiaw boat pier, we were driven to the other side of the river and told to walk down a dirt path (off the side of a dirt track) to the boat. The path was muddy, slippery and steep in parts. We had to climb over a small plank platform and boat that was there to get onto our boat.

Our guide (lia) was unwell. We only had brief commentary when we went out to muang ngoi neua on the boat. The tour took us through the town (i'd say that we were more "guided" here). This included a tour of a school.

Then we went to phanoi cave. The path up to the first cave was really terrible - steep, slippery and the hand rails were useless as they kept coming off. I am below average fitness and barely made it up to the first cave. After decent rains, the first cave has leeches, so be prepared for this. It had not rained for several days when i made my visit, so there were no leaches in the phanoi cave #1. There isn't much to see in the cave and it is slippery (but not like the path). You can only walk around 200 metres into the cave.

I could not go further and we headed back down to have our lunch. I slipped and fell twice and badly pulled my quad muscle - it was that slippery. The minute you put your foot down, you slipped. Had to hold onto the railing (which moved and fell down) for dear life. Unfortunately, my guide did not bother to check on me on the way down (and left me a bit bereft when i needed it and marched ahead of me), though he did provide assistance on the way up.

The lunch provided was a vegetarian meal, but we shared some with our boat driver and guide (who had their own food too). One good experience was the fresh pomelo we had from one of the surrounding trees.

It was only after that we got taken to ban sop jeam (the tour program said that we were to go in the morning). Our guide fell asleep on the boat on the way up and back from ban sop jeam. When we were in ban sop jeam, we didn't get much of a tour and were told to have a walk around the town by ourselves. To top things off, when we asked to go to toilet, we were taken to the guide's "friend's" place and asked to make a donation. (Fyi, was a little bit shocked about being brazenly asked for donations by children whilst walking through ban sop jeam).

When we got back to nong khiaw, instead of being let off at the boat pier, we were taken further up the river to a spot to disembark off the boat (closer to our hotel). Our guide told us that it was straight forward to get to the road and then walk to the hotel and left us to fend for ourselves. We got a bit lost plus we had to cross a very narrow and slippery bridge over the sewer (several feet underneath us) to get back to the main road. My travelling companion nearly slipped and fell into the sewer!

Our guide told me that he had too much to drink the night before and didn't sleep well. Whilst i appreciate the honesty, it has left me with a not so good impression of the professionalism of the staff at green discovery.

Muang ngoi neua and the cruise up the nam ou is worth paying a visit to, notwithstanding this.

Reviewed April 28, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed an amazing experience kayaking from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang over 3 days with our great guide Thong!
We stayed in wonderful little homestays in villages that had only seen westerners a couple of times and had the best experience with them.
The Kayaking was great, not too hard and Thong adapted the trip and lengths of days depending on how energetic we were feeling which was great!
The scenery was so stunning and I really feel we were able to see the real Laos. Highly recommend this experience to other travellers!!!!

Reviewed April 3, 2017

A beautiful one day trek to discover Mong and Khmou villages
Our guide P.I.G. Was excellent and extremely kind with a lot of interesting comments all along the day.
Highly recommanded!

Reviewed January 18, 2017

We have used Green Discovery elsewhere in Laos and found them to be professional, experienced and good value. That is why we chose to book a trip with them when we arrived in Nong Khiaw. We arranged a cycling trip which was advertised as taking place on pretty challenging terrain, and we were the only people on the trip. When we arrived at the office we were surprised to see the state of the bikes: the brakes didn't seem to be that effective on the ones we were given, but with some minor adjustment they seemed to work just about ok, so we set off hopefully nonetheless. Quite soon into the journey it was clear that the bikes were in pretty poor nick - very squeaky brakes that only worked when you really, really grabbed at them, gears that took forever to change etc. And then the gears on one of the bikes broke completely. We were told that the bikes were all quite old and I was then offered either the one with the broken brakes or the broken gears. I didn't fancy my chances on the bit of the trip which was going to be challenging, so we arranged to go back to the shop. It was all ok in terms of getting a refund etc., but we were really disappointed not to be able to do the trip that we'd booked. Back at the office we were told that they didn't really have any bikes, so they'd got these which they knew weren't really up to the journey. If we had been told this when booking the trip we would've gladly chosen a trekking one instead but, as it was, we were sent on a doomed trip and then left without any options. Very disappointing service. Our guide-to-be, Big, was lovely and really apologetic, but the seemingly more senior chap in the office made us feel like it was our fault for having wanted to go biking. If they don't have the right equipment then they should just be up front about it: if you book a trip with them you need to check that everything is in order. There are other gigs in town - perhaps it would be better to book with one of them instead.

1  Thank Ruderies