We went to the Solmar for three days to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, because it was close, and we got a good rate through Groupon (it was a package deal which included the room and all meals). While we've traveled worldwide, we've never stayed at a resort before, so keep that in mind when reading my review.
Solmar is flanked by its two sister resorts, the Solmar Grande, built after the Solmar, and the Solmar Playa, still being finished up now. That created a problem: noise. From morning to night, construction was going on hammer and tongs next door, with a large red crane grinding back and forth. At least the hotels are located around the point from Cabo, which protected you from the incessant party noise booming across the bay.
After viewing the two sister resorts on an interminable timeshare presentation (I know, I know, but we wanted to get that free snorkeling trip), I was glad we were at the Solmar. The rooms are nice and even modest compared to the Disneyland-esque aura of the others. We could see the ocean, even if we couldn't swim in it; a wicked undertow bars you from doing so. I couldn't complain about the food; it wasn't great, but it was serviceable and saved you the trek into town. The dining area even had handbag stands next to the tables for women's oversized beach totes/purses--a new one on me.
The staff was lovely, with no one crabby or brusque. One nice touch was that the name tags the dining staff wore bore the name of each person's place of origin in Mexico. But I always wonder what it is with the music in hotels and restaurants. Why not Mexican tunes rather than "I Left My Heart In San Francisco?" (At least it was better than "The Little Drummer Boy" in Chengdu, China.)
You can realistically walk into town if you don't mind the hike back up that hill. And you can take a shuttle to the Solmar Grande to share in some of their amenities (too bad; they moved the miniature golf course over there from the Solmar). Again, just beware of the timeshare hawks (we even got a pitch from the guy at Cactus Rent-A-Car).
Overall, I was glad to be at the Solmar with its calmer atmosphere rather than at either of the other resorts. But the whole experience left me feeling that I was now a crabby old lady (sans the large, glittery handbag). The truth is I prefer adventure travel, and you know? This really was an adventure in and unto itself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate Oceanfront Resort is blessed by one of the most enchanting and romantic locations in Baja California. Granite cliffs hide the property from the outside world, yet the sights and sounds of Cabo San Lucas are but a 10 minute stroll away. You can spread your towel on the white sands of Solmar beach and soak up the sun in private comfort, grab a snorkel, a fishing pole or chose from a long list of other activities the Pacific Ocean has to offer, or shop, dine, then dance the night away at one of the many hotspots in Cabo San Lucas. Solmar Resort truly offers the best of both of worlds - unmatched privacy in an extraordinary natural setting. In every sense, it is the most Cabo Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Like all properties in the Solmar Hotel & Resort collection, the Solmar Resort is exclusively suites with kitchen facilities, private balconies, marble floors, granite countertops and fine linens. Solmar Resort offers the option of Bed & Breakfast plan and all inclusive package as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Solmar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort And Beach Club
- Solmar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Solmar Hotel
- Solmar Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos