“Solmar 10/20/11-10/28/11”

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Olympia, Washington, United States
“Solmar 10/20/11-10/28/11”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Pros:
Quick flight from Seattle.
Nice smaller resort.
All Inclusive was pretty good, can't complain about Fillet every night (if you want it).
Very affordable.
We found the employees to be very kind and accommodating.
5 minute walk and you're in the marina and shops, 10 minutes to flea market (we enjoyed the location).
Quieter resort, but a $5 cab ride will get you to any bar you want to go for entertainment.
Not a cloud in the sky the whole time we were there. Literally perfect weather.
The room was just fine, had a nice balcony with a great view of the Pacific... we didn't go to Cabo to be in our room though.

Cons:
They tell you not to swim at the beach as it is very rough right there (but Lovers beach is very nice and you can swim there, it's a 5-10 minute walk over the granite cliffs... safe walk... I think. Or you can take a water taxi from the marina).
All inclusive liquor sucked (tipping goes a long way to change that, but the employees can get into trouble doing that... so be discreet!).

That's all I can think of. All things considered... For the price, quickness to get there and the location, I would recommend Solmar. We will be going back. Hope this helps, I know I value good reviews!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FITZCORE1252
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear FITZCORE1252

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Solmar Resort.

Certainly we are located at the pacific side in a secluded beach that provide privacy at the same time you can get to down town or the Medano beach (Cabo San Lucas bay) in a few minutes walking or driving. Through the concierge resort you might reserve many activities such as scuba diving, snorkeling or other tours close by.

Once again we appreciate your visit and hope to host you soon.

Best regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We went to the Solmar for three days to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, because it was close, and we got a good rate through Groupon (it was a package deal which included the room and all meals). While we've traveled worldwide, we've never stayed at a resort before, so keep that in mind when reading my review.

Solmar is flanked by its two sister resorts, the Solmar Grande, built after the Solmar, and the Solmar Playa, still being finished up now. That created a problem: noise. From morning to night, construction was going on hammer and tongs next door, with a large red crane grinding back and forth. At least the hotels are located around the point from Cabo, which protected you from the incessant party noise booming across the bay.

After viewing the two sister resorts on an interminable timeshare presentation (I know, I know, but we wanted to get that free snorkeling trip), I was glad we were at the Solmar. The rooms are nice and even modest compared to the Disneyland-esque aura of the others. We could see the ocean, even if we couldn't swim in it; a wicked undertow bars you from doing so. I couldn't complain about the food; it wasn't great, but it was serviceable and saved you the trek into town. The dining area even had handbag stands next to the tables for women's oversized beach totes/purses--a new one on me.

The staff was lovely, with no one crabby or brusque. One nice touch was that the name tags the dining staff wore bore the name of each person's place of origin in Mexico. But I always wonder what it is with the music in hotels and restaurants. Why not Mexican tunes rather than "I Left My Heart In San Francisco?" (At least it was better than "The Little Drummer Boy" in Chengdu, China.)

You can realistically walk into town if you don't mind the hike back up that hill. And you can take a shuttle to the Solmar Grande to share in some of their amenities (too bad; they moved the miniature golf course over there from the Solmar). Again, just beware of the timeshare hawks (we even got a pitch from the guy at Cactus Rent-A-Car).

Overall, I was glad to be at the Solmar with its calmer atmosphere rather than at either of the other resorts. But the whole experience left me feeling that I was now a crabby old lady (sans the large, glittery handbag). The truth is I prefer adventure travel, and you know? This really was an adventure in and unto itself.

Room Tip: You can't see the ocean from the ground floors.
1 Thank BerryFine
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear;

First of all we thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Solmar.

I am sorry you found your stay a little noisy at the same time I am glad to know you have enjoyed your room, the friendliness of our staff and the food. We´ll keep in mind the variety of music. You are right Solmar it is close to town within a walking distance nevertheless it is still peaceful due to it´s location by the pacific side.

Once we thank you for your comments and your visit, it will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to host you again and provide an even better experience at Solmar Resort.

Cordially

Management
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here two days before our week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset and really enjoyed the location on the beach and being close to town and being able to walk the whole marina each morning. The buildings, grounds and rooms ( a little aged) are well kept with nice large bathrooms and accommodations. The staff were very nice and helpful. The wine selection needs a step up or so but the food on the whole was very good. Enjoyed our stay!

3 Thank BonnieWhite
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Ms. White;

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Solmar.

We are glad to know you have enjoyed our Resort, the service and location. Certainly our location by the pacific side provide us privacy and at the same time keep us close to down town area at walking distance. We appreciate your comments regarding food and wine, we are working on it.

We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience at Solmar Resort.

Best regards!
Covina, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I decided to stay at Solmar this year since we are owners at its sister resort Grand Solmar every other year. We figured its all inclusive, its the sister resort, why not. It's the original Solmar so its not the nicest which is ok. I think the old buildings at character to the resort. What is not ok is the service.

What I think is happening here is that the great employees are all being sent to either Grand Solmar or Playa Grande. Both are newer resorts with great ratings amongst all other Mexican resorts. The employees here especially the women don't seem to be happy working here. It's very apparent in the way they speak to you.

I booked a private mini van for my wife, my son, and myself through Solmar. When your traveling to Mexico its always good to take precaution. I don't like drivers being switched out half way through our ride to the resort and I don't like sharing the cab with other strangers. The reservation was all done through email. Seemed like it went pretty smooth. Gave them my reservation number, flight number, etc.... I received a confirmation voucher from the Solmar Concierge and they told me i needed to provide that to the driver from Cape Travel that would be waiting for me at the airport. Made sense. Well, when we got there there was no driver waiting for us. We literally stood there waiting for 45 minutes for someone from Cape Travel to show up. One of the employees from a different agency offered to help us and got on the phone with Cape Travel. They told them they had someone waiting for them at the airport. They showed up a few minutes later apologizing for not picking us up. The driver from Cape Travel showed us his list of people for the day he was scheduled to pick up but we were not on there. He said Solmar had not notified them of our arrival. My 3 year old was hungry and fussy and my wife was expecting so she was not in a good mood to say the least. I spoke to the Solmar Concierge in the morning and while I explained what happened to us and how disappointed I was at the service she kept a straight face, apologized and said she emailed Cape Travel so she didnt know what happened. She said she would look into it. I gave her every detail of what happened and it almost seemed like she thought i was lying. Her expression still didnt change. Wow. Amazing. No accountability. If im being charged by Solmar for the transportation I expect better service and at least some sympathy for what happened. How about reducing the $90 charge? I received nothing.

Questions to the front desk were quick and seemed like the wanted to hang up as soon as they answered your question. You would hear a click right in the middle of you telling them Thank You.

This was a bad experience for me. It's Grand Solmar for me from now on. The service is consistently great there. All it takes is one bad apple to ruin an experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank dolivares44
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Mr. Olivares;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, as a valued guest your opinions are of great importance to us.

Please accept and extend my deep and sincere apologizes to you, your wife and your baby due of this issues. I really sorry you have experienced this atypical situation.

I have spoken with the transportation manager of the company whom provide us this service since this kind of failures misrepresent us. As you might know we do not own transportation units nevertheless the company we work with has been selected among others because the quality of vehicles, punctuality and over all the service. At the same time I met with my front desk manager and measures has been taken to meet our standards of service since Solmar Resort has been characterized by the friendliness and courteous of our personnel.

Once again I apologize for this atypical situation. As a time share member you are please let me know when you will return so personally I can oversee your stay and allow us to provide you an even better experience at Solmar Resort.

Cordially
The management
Hoquiam, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our first experience to stay a week at a resort, and it was wonderful! The accommodations were perfect and the all inclusive food and drinks were amazing. What made the experience great were the people who work at Solmar. We enjoyed Teresa, Xavier, Mateo, Jose, Raul, Christina, Alma, David, and many others as they took good care to make our stay the best. I definitely would recommend staying at Solmar.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room on the top floor of the building that has an elevator; the view...
3 Thank Betsycamel
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Betsycamel;
Thank you for taking your time to manifest your experience at Solmar Resort. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful time. I am sharing your comments with our chef, our food and beverage manager and all the staff from the front desk, they will be happy to know that they have
fulfilled your expectations.

We hope to see you soon to continue offering you the best of us like king and queen you are to us.

Warm regards
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Where the resort is located is the very best of all locations. You have the peace and quiet of no cruise ships and no mega amounts of tourists and no vendors selling their wares. The beach is great for taking walks, not crowded at all. It's a short hike/climb over the boulders to reach Lovers Beach if you want. I know you'll read a lot of reviews about the building of their sister resort on the premises, but really you don't notice. There were two very tall cranes working while we were there,but again didn't impede any enjoyment. I agree with another reviewer that if anything, it was interesting and entertaining to watch if you wanted. There wasn't any noise to speak of because the roar and pounding of the waves is what you hear. This is my second time visiting this resort. I chose it specifically for it's location, quaintness, humbleness, and traditional feel. I don't need or want a luxury resort that can be plopped down anywhere in the world. I appreciate having a place be more authentic to it's locale. It seems to becoming a lost art for North America. On another note, dining is expensive - VERY! So either plan on doing the all inclusive or shop and cook yourself or walk the ten minutes (very safe and easy even at night) into town and eat out.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank summer3025
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear summer3025

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your vacation at Solmar.

Certainly due to our location you can enjoy spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and its marine life, hardly there are strangers around the premises giving an atmosphere of privacy and yet we are within walking distance of the city. The style simple, austere but clean and comfortable is what has characterized Solmar over the time and we try to keep it in the best condition for our guests.

One more time we thank you for having stayed with us we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again.

Best Regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

Losing in all ways. The Grand Solmar has taken half of the Old grounds, and new invading construction continues. Owners are given no compensation and must spend many thousands to be at Grand Solmar. Beware of loud and long parties on the beach by locals. Cruise ships send guests to dominate the main pool during the day. We've lost our resort, TS owners! I had 9years to go yet.

Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Sue Z
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Sue Z;

Thank you for sharing your comments, as a valued guest your opinions are of great importance to us.

I understand how disappointing you are with the transition of the resort. I am sharing your comments with our customer services director of time share area so straight with you she can review your contract and find a mutual solution.

Regarding visitors, you will be happy to know that, as a result of guest feedback like yours, we have canceled all the relationship with the cruise ship companies since last January guarantee with this the exclusive use of the resort facilities to our guest.

If you have any questions or any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.