“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nanaimo, Canada
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Just returned from a fantastic vacation at the Villa Del Palmar. This is a time share resort so be prepared for the sales pitch. We simply said no thanks and that was the end of it so there is no need to be concerned with that. The view from this hotel is stunning. You couldn't ask for a better location. It is a short 15 minute walk to town or Walmart or a quick bus ride. 9.5 pesos.

The food and drinks at this resort are fantastic. Go for the all inclusive, it is a small price to pay for the convenience of not having to worry about the huge prices they charge for things at this resort. Keep in mind this is a condo type resort so all the food and drinks are top notch and pricey. No watered down drinks here. They require you to sign off on your bill which I must admit is a bit of a pain but you get used to it. Even if you wanted to go into town and eat it is worth getting the upgrade to all inclusive. For breakfast your main choice is at a fantastic restaurant right on the beach. You have your choice of the buffet or the menu. For lunch you can go to the main lobby bar or the beach bar which serves great pizzas. They also have waiters go around the resort and the beach catering to your every whim. For dinner you have your choice of the main resort which at night has a buffet (with theme nights) as well as the al a carte menu which I stated earlier is available for lunch, or you can enjoy the resort on the beach which has a Itailian style menu.

If I had to down grade the resort for anything I would say in my opinion the entertainment was lacking. It was no fault of the staff I have just been to other resorts with way more options and better shows.

Don't hesitate to go to this hotel and enjoy your vacation.

11 Thank WildWildWild

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
West Lawn, PA
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Our family just got back from Villa del Palmar, Cabo, Mexico yesterday. It was my husband, my daughter, my son, and myself that traveled. We had a blast at this resort!!! What made it special...first and foremost the entertainment crew, they were amazing and really involved the audience at all times. My kids attached to them and didn't want to leave because of all the fun they were having. They actually knew each and every entertainer by name. We will treasure the memories of the whale slide pool, going snorkeling at Lover's Beach, parasailing, whale watching, and swimming with the dolphins. The two wonderful restaurants: Bella California which has you eating right on a balcony viewing the Sea, and La Tortugas which has beautiful decor and delicious foods everynight had us gaining 10 pounds!! Try the all natural smoothies at Bella California. Our room was a junior suite and it was very spacious for the four of us. We didn't need the kitchen because we had an all inclusive package, which is a great way to go!!! The staff and waitors were all top of the line and very very friendly; we LOVED Jose; the one waitor at Tortugas. This was our first time in Mexico and we definitely want to go back. I almost cried walking out of the resort doors. Til we visit again...Adios Cabo, you will be missed but never forgotten!!! Love, Emilia, Gaspare, Nadia, and Matteo!! Ciao!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Emilia T
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at this resort last year and although we had a good time, I didn't think we would go back. My mom, who went with us last year and this year, really liked it and wanted to go back. Honestly, I was really surprised that we had an even better time than last year!

Knowing exactly what to expect (and not expect) made it really easy to enjoy. We did the All Inclusive again. I really recommend this if you're traveling with children (mine range from mid-teen to nine years old). It's so easy to let everyone eat what and when they want, and the margaritas just kept coming to my beach chair!

I can't give the resort 5 stars just because a couple of things are lacking: 1) the beds are too small 2) I really hate the theme nights 3) little things here and there where the hotel misses the boat. I wish instead of stupid (and pretty tacky) entertainment, they would just serve the various buffets. The food is surprisingly good, and especially when it's fresh off the grill.

However, I also realize that this resort is a TREMENDOUS deal for what you get and that I'm not paying 5 star resort prices. I think it's a great deal and certainly for families. I still feel that I wouldn't stay here if I were on vacation with my husband or with another couple. But for families with kids, you can't beat it.

Also, they've really upgraded the extras at the Towel Service desk. In addition to snorkeling equipment, you can borrow boogie boards, pool noodles and stand up paddle boards (that was really fun!!). We didn't have any trouble borrowing these items, sometimes we had to check back, but eventually we were able to borrow anything we needed. They are also super friendly with the towel exchange - never hassling you if you need a dry towel.

The beach waiters/waitresses are fabulous!! We tipped one dollar each time they brought our order, and between the six of us, they were quite frequent visitors to our beach chairs. The beach staff were also really nice about getting us umbrellas if we go to the chairs and the umbrellas were all taken.

The kids enjoyed the pool and the beach. We would set up at the beach in the morning after breakfast (really good, and tons of choice and selection for both the heavy eater and the light eater) and the kids would alternate back and forth between the pool and the ocean. They loved the whale slide.

Check in was easy and check out as well. The front desk was very accommodating about giving us a couple of extra hours beyond scheduled check out so that we could still swim and have time to come back and shower and change before catching the shuttle to the airport.

Overall, it's a great value and a great choice with kids.

Room Tip: We were in 2414 and 2416. Those rooms had a fabulous view of the bay and the cliffs. The only downsi...
Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank WorldTraveler201194
Z
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We bought a few years ago and nothing is as we were told. Wish I had read this article before I purchased.

When we purchased a membership in the villa group we were told by a salesperson named Christina that as a member we could use the pool at both the Arco and del palmar. And for a few years we did. Yesterday we were asked to leave the pool. Today, a timeshare salesperson named Bill told us that some sales people are over zealous when trying to sell and stretch it a bit...we were advised to read the fine print...But for only 10,000 we could upgrade our membership and then we could use the pool!! I don't think so Bill!

Room Tip: Stay away from the timeshare sharks!
6 Thank ZZZAAA
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed a week at this resort. The staff are all very friendly and the whole resort is very clean. It's a very tropical setting with lots of palm trees. It's only a 15 minute walk to downtown Cabo. We did not do the all-inclusive so only ate one breakfast and one dinner at the hotel. The food was OK. It's a good hotel for families and is nice that it's on the beach. Timeshare people are very aggressive but you find that all over. Our room was very comfortable and nice to have the kitchenette. We kept our patio doors open every night and could hear the ocean. We made our own drinks and took beer in plastic cups down to the beach/pool area. The downside is having to pay for Internet on a daily basis and it's not for your room. Each person has to pay for their own Internet. It was our first trip to Cabo so it was a good starting point. Next time we will stay at a more private rental though.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better ocean view. Ours was partially blocked by palm trees on the fourth floo...
2 Thank Lynsky931
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Berenice is the most efficient and excellent person for solving any problems and keeping things in excellent condition at this hotel. Daniela the mesera (food server) is most excellent in every field. Highly recommend and happy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bob r
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The villa del palmar was a good place to stay overall! The rooms were clean and nice, service was great! The food was not super but good price if you do an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet is great! Lots of variety! The lunch at the pizza bar is awesome! Skip the dinner buffet, go out downtown or to the medano beach club for dinner! Yummy! It was a great place because they have a nice super market, an ice cream parlour, and deli across the parking lot. If you do the time share package deal presentation, be prepared to spend 2 to 3 hours, not 90 minutes! We met our presenter at 8:45 a.m and were done at 12 noon and we did not buy the deal. They take you to a nice buffet breakfast and talk to you while you eat, then take youover to the del arco resort to tour. After that, you will be asked if you are interested and they will then proceed to show you the deal of the day. In my opinion I am glad I went through the presentation. It was a pretty great deal, but not good timing for me and my husband. I learned a lot and they were not that pushy, just persistent. Lay on the beach! Go to lovers beach for only 12 dollars! They take dollars and pesos in most of cabo!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends