“Relaxation with no worries”

Hotel Mar de Cortez
Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We arrived with a warm welcome from the front desk. Loved the charming, garden feel as we walked to our room after a long day of travel.

Our inital thought of the room was... Hummm.
After a good nights sleep, breakfast at Baja Peppers (2 eggs, 2 bacon,potatoes and fruit all for only $3.50 US) and exploring our new neighborhood, this place quickly grew on me!

We quickly learned that there were many repeat travlers who come at that time of year (Christmas) and stay for weeks at a time. They all knew each other and made us feel welcome the days we spent at the pool.(chilly but refreshing)

Our room was cleaned daily,our water pitcher was filled daily by the mai. Amdthere was no problem asking for anything extra.

Would I go back? Heck ya. For me it made my experience in Cabo that much better than staying at a BIG resort. This was my 4th time in Cabo and my most enjoyable/memorable

Room Tip: cant go wrong with any room I would guess.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunseeeker
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mar de Cortez

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We go to Cabo twice a year just about every year. We own a timeshare and stay at it for one week. All other times , we stay at this hotel. If we need extra days from our timeshare week or our other trip in the winter , we don't look anywhere else. Most guest have been coming to this hotel for years. We have made all kinds of friends from being here. The value is incredible and the rooms are very clean. The poolside rooms are dark but the pool is right there. The gardenview rooms on the second floor are bright , have private patios , and give you a good view of the area. You are only a couple of blocks from Cabo Wabo and the Gigglin Marlin. It's a 5 min. walk to the marina and about 15-20 to Medano beach. This place is the heart of Cabo and we highly reccomend it to anyone wanting a great place to stay at a great price.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are very bright and have private balconies
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Honestly not much to say that hasn't been said...after being reminded on a thursday after a couple of soul crushing years that I pile of vacation on the books I had uncharacteristically simply neglected (ok thats where the poor me im single again sobstory ends)i said I'm outta here punched in Cabo for a week
Into orbitz I think and this was the lowest price item so i
looked @ trip advisor expecting some amusing horror stories before I went up the pricescale
But all I read were glowing reports and since
I was bailing solo if it was awful there wouldn't be anybody 2 whine
about my choice...also a week in Cabo in January with air from Oakland for 7 bones? On 3 days notice?
Fuhgeddaboutit
Anyway the place is clean the food is awesome (I only did maro's once in a week in
Favor of eating here even tho maro's is only a 5 minute walk
Oh everything is a five minute walk
Pretty much crept the beach there u hafta walk 5 minutes to a water taxi and then endure a 10 minute boat ride with a beer in your hand and a Montecristo in your mouth with all those crappy blue pacific waves crashing on those lousy majestic rocks I mean it's the worst thing ever. Anyway the people are cool the foods awesome there are no TV's In the rooms and I plan on making Paola the bartender my next
Ex-wife....ok the souvenir guys are all
Over you at first cause you're right on their turf but buy some cheap crapola it won't kill ya then theyre cool

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank studebaker2
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Mar de Cortez during the last week in January. I reserved ahead and my room was waiting upon my arrival. We had a nice ground floor unit which, like most of the rooms, overlooked the pool and courtyard. Our room was clean and the daily maid service was exceptional and included the tile floors being cleaned, too. The location was ideal.....one block from the popular Marina district and very close to some great restaurants that we discovered. We had many breakfasts at the hotel restaurant, Baja Peppers, and enjoyed the odd happy hour sipping on mango margaritas. Front end staff was helpful and very friendly. The free WiFI was a bonus. We discovered that many people come here on an annual basis and stay for months....can't say that I would disagree!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry A
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I recommend the room I am in currently, #404 - good view of pool area, a bit away from the crowd, second floor and quiet. Great value.

Room Tip: Second floor is quieter, avoid near the restaurant or away from pool (first is noisy, second is bori...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 86,868,888
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I are not high-rise/resort people by any means. We like to eat and drink where the locals do, sight-see and lounge around in equal proportions, and just generally chill out and forget about our obligations back home. When we vacation, budget is a strong consideration for us. And Hotel Mar de Cortez delivers in all these areas and then some! It's safe, secure, clean and central to everything Cabo San Lucas has to offer. After a night out of partying, this is the perfect hotel, because you can stumble right back to your room and it's not far from where all the partying takes place.

Every time we visit Cabo San Lucas this is the place we stay at. The rooms are huge and spacious. Beds comfy and cozy. The balcony areas are a nice place to chill and have a cup of coffee while watching the goings-on and people lounging about the pool area. This place seems to have a steady and loyal customer base and cult following. It has a restaurant and bar that serves a great and very cheap breakfast. The dinners aren't bad either, but we prefer the street side taco stands. The restaurant has been re-modified and spruced up since we last visited. They changed the name from "Spencer's" to "Baja Peppers." There were a lot more people at the hotel bar this time than the last time we were there. The staff is very nice and helpful. The pool is also a nice addition. With Playa el Medano and Playa del Amor (Lover's Beach), so close though, we prefer to swim there, but the pool is always full of people who seem to like swimming in that better. The hotels prices can't be beat for Cabo, and unbelievably they have not raised their prices in over seven years and counting. There's not much else positive I can say about this place that hasn't already been said. Mar de Cortez is a winner!

Room Tip: Try to reserve ahead of time. Rooms fill quickly.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My first visit to Cabo was a true vacation. A good friend Jan had stayed here before and recommended it to me. I contacted Nat at both ---- and -----. She promptly returned my voice mail and booked me a room. It was very pleasurable since dining and activities are all within walking distance. I rode in from La Paz with my Offroad motorcycle, I was in need of a place where I could store my bike securely but yet still be close to restaurants, etc. The room was nice and clean and I had a garden view with nice pool. The restaurant (peppers) was very good and I was greeted by very nice staff. This was one of my best New Years eve stays, I highly recommend Hotel Mar de Cortez!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms with Garden View from my experience appear to be best. Most are good. For the price a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends