“The centre of cabo” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
“The centre of cabo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have been going to Marina Fiesta for close to twenty years and it remains a favorite place to stay in Cabo. It is close and convenient to everything. We tend to explore Cabo so we do not take the all inclusive option and prefer to find eateries all over town. The Restaurants around the marina tend to be expensive but there's lots to choose from away from the waterfront. The "diamond club" card saves us a lot on activities. The staff are the best in Mexico, always friendly and ready to help. We will be back next year and I am confident the staff will remember us and treat us like family as the have always done.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Marc J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
Bedford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

After pouring over these boards and fretting about my choice in hotels, I have to stay I was over the moon about my trip. Maybe expecting the worst helps your outlook. Anyway, used TRanscabo airport transfers that I had booked a few days earlier for $68 one way only. Took an hour to get to hotel b/c we dropped others off first. Check-in was somewhat confusing. There is a concierge and various trip/timeshare sales promoters in the lobby, so it's hard to know where to go. Our reservation wasn't on the list, so I proceeded to front desk where I showed my confirmation. I had emailed a request for upper level with view and asked again at check in. I was told there were no luxury suites available with that and since it was only 1pm, rooms weren't ready, but she would continue to look. We got our bracelets and had lunch at Prestos on the marina. Probably my least favorite. (pasta & pizza) Once we got back they had given us room 119, which was bottom floor, right by pool and older room. Nothing I requested. They showed me a non-luxury suite on the 3rd floor that was renovated and we took it. I guess "luxury" is considered to have the full kitchen and pull out couch, but the newer room was definitely better and it was equipped with micro and mini fridge. Shower much nicer as well. And a beautiful view. I blame this more on Travelocity though, b/c my booking didn't up. Otherwise, I may have gotten my room request to start with. Whatever. Check-in day is always stressful and nerves are shot. From then on, it was wonderful. Who can't be happy with clear blue skies, palm trees, and unlimited tequila?
All-Inclusive: REally though, the all-inclusive was better than expected. I was preparing myself for bad food and limited choices, but the bartender and waiters were there to accomodate. Sangrias, Mimosas, Pina Coladas, My Thais, Ticket to Fly, Bahama Mamas,rum & coke, margaritas,...hotel breakfast buffet was adequate. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, some Mexican dishes, french toast, pancakes, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, and of course, salsa. We would hit Jack's on some days. Great french toast and shrimp omelettes.
We loved the Tequila Museum for our daily fix at 3pm of chips, salsa, and guacomole. We had dinner there the last night as well. TAco salad was huge and someone in our group got shrimp & chorizo fondita that came out in a giant sizzling pig crock. And more sangrias. We had lunch at Imomo one day for California rolls and noodle dishes. Not bad. We also ate at Jacks for dinner where the rib-eye was good and they had surprisingly good cheese sticks. The brownie/ice cream combo wasn't so much. Very dry and bland. Desserts don't seem to be their thing, though the hotel dinner buffett had a decent coconut flan cake one night.
Baja Lobster was a little disappointing in the choices. We knew the lobster would be $40 extra, but on top of that, the waiter told us all-inclusive had it's own menu and proceeded to point out an item from each category that we could choose. A specific salad, a choice of 2 entrees, and a dessert. But the food was excellent that we did get. Also, the ticket signing was no big deal to us, just like signing for a credit card receipt and often, they would let it go at the bar. The service could be considered a bit slow, but I think it's more they don't rush you out. INstead, you have to tell them you're ready for the ticket and they promptly get it to you. I loved the open air and outdoor seating, unlike the Midwest where every building is frozen in air-conditioning. AI is definitely worth it for someone like me who wouldn't be buying fruity cocktails or spluring on mid-day snacks if I hadn't already paid for it. Plus, if you plan on buying lots of drinks, you're money ahead.
Room: Tile floor, decent beds, small built in couch. Flat screen TV and newer furniture. A glass table and chairs near balcony. A newer, small kitchenette area and full length mirror that my daughter used as her getting ready area. With all-inclusive, there's no need for a full kitchen. The fridge was stocked daily with Cokes, beer, and waters and it's free for all inclusive. Bathroom has decent sized closet, then separate shower/toilet area. Big, all tile shower and rainhead faucet with glass door. Water stayed hot too. It was a little noisy. 3rd floor had to be better than first, but you could still hear alot. People running, yelling, etc...no loud music though. And it was Spring Break.
The Marina: Beautiful and fun to stroll around. Yes, lots of vendors, even children coming up to you with a basket of small toys, but just say no thank you and keep moving. It's part of the culture. No high pressure. I actually bought a silver bracelet for $10 and gave a child a dollar. Didn't anger me at all. The mall is nice. There is Johnny Rockets, Ruths Chris, Harley shop, Lacoste, Nike and some others. If you're looking to watch American sports, the Mango Cantina has big screens and covered the NCAA games. Lots of cool outdoor restaurants/bars.
Downtown: A few blocks walk and you're there. The teens like the clubs that sit in a row. Squid Roe, The TAvern, Baja something. There are drink specials and the staff does everything possible to get people in there. Squid Roe is the dance place though, with 2 floors and hip hop hits. Lots of Pit Bull, being Cuban. Many pharmacies throughout and I got a tube of .01 Retin A (the strongest) and a bottle of Amoxicillin for $49. The prices were all similar to other pharmacies and this guy wasn't going to come down. Instead he split the 2 pack of Amoxicillin so I could afford it. We also watched some games at Desperados and had sopapillas. Although a little seedy from the marina to the main town strip, it isn't far and there are so many people, you don't really feel uneasy. A few blocks down from the main action and it's kind of dirty and sketchy.
Pesos: We didn't use them much. I did exchange $20 for 4 50 pesos, so I could tip the maid every day, but other than that, it didn't seem to matter. Don't think I would have came out ahead for as little extra money as we spent. We just tipped $1 for every drink or two and left ones or fives for the meals. Didn't want to come back with a bunch of pesos I couldn't use.
The Beach: We walked behind the hotel, up the sidwalk and down an alley to get to the beach. As soon as you hit the sand, you're accosted by vendors. It's worse here than anywhere. They're selling boat tours, jet ski rental, parasailing, jewelry, hats, dishes, etc...You can hardly go 5 yards down the beach. I wouldn't have wanted to stay on the beach all week. There is a string of bars/restaurants with lots of partiers. Being spring break, it was to be expected. They had a push up contest and a booty shak'n contest when we were there. They also had $1.50 hot dog with fixings bar. Staff are quick to pull you into a table, put a lanyard over your head, slap a bracelet on you and serve you a drink just to get you in there.
Lands End (the arc) We did the glass bottom boat tour for $8/each and it was awesome. The arch is alot closer to the beach than I realized, just a short jaunt over there, but the sights are amazing and the guides tell you all the inside facts and superstitions. They dropped us off at Lover's Beach and picked up another group, then came back for us, giving us time to take pictures. People were snorkeling from a nearby cruise ship and a few were climbing on the rock formations projecting from the sea. Our guy gave us bread so we could feed the amazing colorful fish that are there. We also saw napping sea lions lounging on the rocks. A must-do excursion.
Pool: Get up early to reserve chairs, like 8am. I would get a towel and then eat breakfast. You snooze you loose, what can you do? People who get up early to get a prime chair deserve it. Now holding it all day while you're in your room is another thing, but by afternoon, many chairs were available anyway, as the early risers move on to something else by then.For spring break, it was still a mixed crowd. Some frat guys taking shots at bar and middle aged couples lying in lounge chairs. Not really that crowded.And it's pretty dark and quiet in the evening. Pool was nice and clean and refreshing. I could spend every afternoon with my book, sangria, blue skies and the palms overhead.
Checkout: We had no room charge discrepancies. Just watch for others in your party charing tips on the slip. Stick to cash tips only and there shouldn't be a problem. And you'll quickly learn what drinks are included. A group of college kids in front of us had all kinds of problems, but I think that came from having individuals trying to split the bill, not remembering who charged what, and no one wanting to pay. We booked transfer back for $18 each from the concierge and all went fine there.
There weren't any other hotels near us so I would definitely stay there again. You can't beat the location. We could go to the beach, walk the marina, or head downtown. And the view is fantastic.So much to do and see from this place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank sunlovinmama
Oxnard, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My boyfiend and I went for a short vacation in September 2011. The hotel location was the best for us as everything you needed was nearby. We did not do the all inclusive deal and we were glad, because on the first afternoon of our arrival we tried to eat at the poolside restaurant and it took forever. Instead, we just left and got good recommendations from the concierge of a local restaurant el pollo dorado. The rooms are small, but we liked the balcony and view to the pool and marina.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Delila13
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 May 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just returned from a 6 night stay with my husband at the Marina Fiesta. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the hotel. We would stay here again. There were pros and cons to the resort but overall the pros outweigh the cons.

We booked an all-inclusive room through travelocity and were were told we would have a view of the pool or marina. When we arrived we were given room 148 which had a view of an empty lot. The room was clean and nice (also very loud) but not what we paid for. We spoke with Alfredo the manager and were told the hotel was booked today but we could change room the following day. We went to the front desk in the morning and were able to switch rooms by 2 pm. In the meantime they stored our luggage for us. We were given room 218 which had a smaller bed but a better view, we were very happy and Alfredo was very helpful. The rooms were very clean and well-maintained. They are a little dated but that has never been a big deal us we, we don't spend a lot of time in the room. The in room mini-bar was part of the all-inclusive which was a nice added bonus.

The all-inclusive was great deal. Service was very slow but the food was good at the hotel and great outside of the hotel. The italian restaurant was our favorite. It was not difficult for us to get reservations for dinner although we could see that this could be tough for larger parties. We did not mind signing the check each time out at the restaurants but found it very cumbersone while in the hotel. We have to wear a bracelet, why sign for your food/drinks in the hotel? You do have to write you bracelet number on each check or it would end up on your bill. Also it was interesting that even though my husband and I were together, we both had to sign a check everytime we ordered something. A recommendation to the hotel would be to limit the paperwork, especially within the hotel.

The pool was beautiful. By 9 am 90% of the chairs by the pool would have towels on them "reserving them" and some people would not come back to the chairs until late in the afternoon. The hotel information says they discourage this but nothing was done about it by hotel employees. If you wanted a spot at the pool you also needed to get up early and "reserve" a chair. We thought this was quite unfair and most chairs went unused for a good portion of the day. Service at the pool bar was very slow. Employees will walk around to take your order but it would sometimes be over an hour before they would come by again so that you could have another drink/get your check. Nevertheless we went to the pool every day and enjoyed our selves.

We were not bothered by anyone wanting to sell us a timeshare. We explained up front that we were uninterested and the staff was understanding. They even helped us book some of our activities. The time share presentation was not brought up to us again and they even went out of there way to check in with us to see if we had a good time on our dinner cruise.

The beach is short walk away. We spend less time at the beach (spring break crowd) then at the pool but enjoyed how close it was. The best part of the hotel is the location, you can walk anywhere! Despite it being spring break the marina never seemed overcrowded.

Another wish we have is for the hotel to update the gym. The gym location is really cool on the 7th floor overlooking the ocean and marina. However, there is no cardio equipment in the gym except for one stationary bike which didn't work and limited weight. There was supposed to be a cardio room near the spa but when we went to use it the light was broken and no one seemed in a rush to fix it.

We would return to Cabo and stay at Marina Fiesta again. The hotel very nice and the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view and on a higher floor.
9 Thank mich4230
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2016
Dear Guest,

We apreciate your comments, Thank you

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I must say that I found all of the staff at the Marina Fiesta amongst the best I've had in Mexico. Food was good if you stuck with the a la cartes. La Palapa was so so but bounce down to the marina walk and there is a lot of fine food to be had. Jacks and Baja Lobster were our two favorites. Alfredo took excellent care of our room requests and housekeeping did a spot on job. I will go back and probably the only thing that management may have to change is the aggressive attitude of the timeshare staff. Please remember, people are there for a vacation, not to be harrassed at every turn for a timeshare. Once a guest says "no" that should be the end of it and it cost you a perfect score from my trip and when I do come back, if it happens again, it will be my last trip there. Daniel, Javier, Carlos and Alfredo, look forward to seeing you next year! Tip: All inclusive will save you a bundle unless you head into the town area daily. Mango bar on Medano charged us $10usd a piece for crappy margaritas, biggest rip off in town, avoid it.

Room Tip: Make sure if you pay for an upgraded room, you get an upgraded room
3 Thank Ccrider68
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

CHECKIN - Check in went very smoothly and then we were told to go see the welcome hostess who eventually got around to asking us to sign up for the Genesis Collection--which was really a timeshare. We went the following morning and it wasn't a hard sell--2 hours. We requested a renovated room and got one on the second floor--223--very large balcony overlooking pool and partial marina view. No problem with noise--everything seemed to close down at 8:00p.m. except Lobby Bar closed at 10:00 pm.

POOL - Very beautiful--sort of like a little boutique hotel. There is another pool on the other side of the second building which is real quiet. People play the towel game here so if you wanted a prime chair you would have to do this game. We never had a problem finding a place to camp out around 2:00 p.m. On the 5th floor there are two hot tubs and a nice area to sit and great views. The hot tubs also close at 8:00 p.m.--kind of early.

LOCATION - great location but it is not on the beach--the beach is easily accessible - 2 blocks away. It is easy to get any kind of whale watching, water taxi or fishing trips--all the guys are on the boardwalk asking if you want to take a trip. Only two blocks from Medano beach and the flea markets. We personally didn't care for the beach as we thought the sand was very soft and hard to walk in and also it was on a slant.

DRINKS - When you check in they should give you a list of the various kinds of drinks and alcohol brands you can have--do not deviate from this list or you will end up paying for those drinks. When you receive your bill to sign make sure what you had is correct and is on the all inclusive list.

SIGN YOUR CHECKS - You have to sign for everything--when you sign make sure that it is what you had and that it is covered under your all-inclusive. You will have to print your name, write your room # and bracelet # and then sign. There is also a place for a gratiuity on the bill but we always drew a line in there and gave cash. Tippings is not necessary but they really appreciate it.

RESTAURANTS - You can order anything on the menu at the six different restaurants. Only one restaurant is not included --one of the mexican restauants. At the Baja Lobster Restaurant you cannot order lobster--you will pay extra. We especially enjoyed the Sushi restuarant--Imomo--great tempura shrimp--at Presto Italian--lemon chicken was excellent --Jack's we had great grilled & breaded shrimp. We really enjoyed all the restaurants and thought this was great food! Breakfast is served buffet style at the pool or at Jack's--a sit down breakfast. Do not be in a hurry--service is very slow--remember, you are in Mexico! Relax!

CONCLUSION - We have been to five other all inclusives and we thought this was a great place, very relaxing, and the food was outstanding. All the waiters, waitresses, maids, and various cleaning people were very friendly and competent. Very quiet and low-key all inclusive--middle aged crowd. We would highly recommend this resort. If you want further information please feel free to email us.

Room Tip: The higher up the better and try to face the pool for the best views. Looked at another couples roo...
12 Thank BAFeller
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We just spent 5 nights at marina fiesta and found the staff to be very welcoming and helpful during our entire stay. location location location. this resort gave us the option to relax by the pool or spend the day at medano beach and shop all within the same area. We were booked to stay at Hacienda Encantada (their sister resort) but found out they were over booked during our dates. :( we made the best of it and ended up really enjoying our vacation.

3 Thank karen12Jones