“Hilly and Beautiful”

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Douglas, Michigan
“Hilly and Beautiful”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week at PB Sunset Beach. I must agree that the resort is extremely beautiful and very well maintained. The weather was nice, a little cool in the evenings but comfortable if you were out of the breeze. The room was gorgeous, though the bed was too soft and the sleep sofa was tricky to sit on as a couch.

The staff were attentive and helpful with the exception of the sales staff who were annoying even after we attented they're 60 minute, whoops 90 minute, oh you should have set aside 2 hours for the presentation...they continued to sell us things while trying to relax at one of the pools. We also had a bad experience at La Frida which is their award winning restaurant. We much preferred The Bistro restaurant next door and Cilantros at their PB Los Cabos resort or Fellinis at PB Rose which are a 20 minute free shuttle bus ride away on Medano Beach.

If you are okay riding in golf carts to the different buildings and pools this is a very beautiful and relaxing place to be.

Room Tip: I would prefer a room in one of the "teens" buildings. Building 24 had a lot of machine n...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,561)
  • Korean first
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is a beautiful, pristine resort. The staff is attentive, helpful and friendly. The food is amazing. We highly recommend the all inclusive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DawnFlower
San Diego
Reviewed 8 April 2012

OVERALL – It’s easy to see how this resort is rated “one of the best places in the world to stay” by Conde Naste and one of the “top 5 Mexico resorts for families” by Travel & Leisure. It is a beautiful, classy, well-done resort overlooking the crashing (unswimmable) waves of the Pacific Ocean where you can glimpse dolphins and whales jumping and spouting. While it is gorgeous, and it doesn’t seem right to complain, I have to say it was a bit too large, spread out and impersonal for our taste (and using the golf carts got annoying) – but we tend to enjoy the smaller, more intimate resorts. Food and drinks at the pool bars and restaurants were surprisingly good, although not very impressed by the buffets. Loved doing the all-inclusive for 3 days, and that we had privileges at the other 3 great Pueblo Bonito Resorts – Pacifica next door (adults only) and Blanco and Rose on Medano Beach. We were there for a week for Spring break w/ two young kids, their grandma, and the 2 of us, and everyone had a wonderful time; we were safe, happy, and didn’t want to leave.

THE ROOM - We were incredibly fortunate to get an RCI exchange into a top (9th) floor 2-bd, 2-bath, 1800 sq feet Presidential suite (Bldg 21), and it was Amazing – definitely the nicest timeshare room we’ve every stayed in (and we’ve been to dozens). It had beautiful tile floors, classy, but comfortable furnishings, in an upscale Mexican theme; everything well-made. For such a large room, it had a very small, limited kitchen; we would have preferred full kitchen. The master bathroom was massive, with Jacuzzi tub, beautiful tile shower, and lots of closet space/storage. But the BEST, was our own personal Jacuzzi on our huge deck (never had this before) with panoramic ocean view of the crashing waves below, where we were able to view dolphins, and even (this time of year) whales!

SERVICE – Service was very friendly and attentive; every time we called down for something, they brought it right up (and followed up w/ a phone call). Everyone was friendly, from the servers to the cart drivers.

POOLS/BEACH – there were, I think, a total of 8 pools, but we only made it to 2 of them. The one closest to us, the sky pool w/ above-it-all view and infinity pool and pool bar was spectacular and often had a cool party vibe going on. Main pool was also really nice – not a lot of chairs – so get there early if you want one. You’re not supposed to “save” them, but people definitely did. Also, the pools are really warm, which is nice when the breezes can be cool. The Pacific Ocean in front of the resort is beautiful, but completely unswimmable – people die there every year due to the dangerous rip-currents and waves. Of course you can take the shuttle to the Pueblo Bonito Blanco or Rose on Medano beach, but would be nice to be able to swim at the beach at your hotel.

SPA – wonderful, relaxing feel. It’s apparently rated the #1 hotel spa in Mexico. I liked the “wet room” w/ Jacuzzi and steam room (had chilled cucumbers and towels for the eyes, nice). My mom had a wonderful massage w/ Daisy; unfortunately mine w/ Lydia was just ok – felt more like a general rub-down, than an actual massage. Oh well, it was still a relaxing experience, and fortunately we went with free vouchers from taking a tour.

TIMESHARE TOUR – We didn’t intend to take one, but they offered us a “deal we couldn’t refuse” -- ($200 in food/drinks credit, all-inclusive plan for $59/day, down from the $89/day we paid in advance, half price dolphin experience ($88 each, down from $170 each) and $50 in spa credit, plus $200 in spa credit for my mom who toured w/ us). Javier, our guide, was very charming and a very smooth salesman, but I’m pretty sure a lot of what he told us was not entirely true -- i.e., no annual maintenance fees for 2-week “traveler’s package,” if you don’t use the weeks; no RCI fees, that you can exchange for both RCI and premium Interval resorts; that RCI is instituting a new rule of only 1 exchange to Cabo (or w/in 50 miles of exchange location) w/in 5 years. In any event, we declined. I love timeshares, but resale is the only way to buy. By the way, on check-out, they did properly apply our credit for the all-inclusive plan, and we actually received a refund!

FOOD AND DRINKS - the restaurants and pool bars were surprisingly good, especially considering the all-inclusive option; the buffets were not so good. Here’s a brief description of our take on the restaurants we visited:
MAIN POOL BAR - – wow! We had an excellent lunch here – fish cevice and shrimp cevice – wonderful; shared the “filet o fish” sandwich w/ my husband and it was incredible – no resemblance to the McD’s variety – it was a fresh grilled sea bass filet on a soft roll w/ fresh tartar sauce and lettuce. The thin crispy fries were great too. Burrito was excellent – chicken, beans, rice, lettuce, guacamole, pico de gallo, all in a homemade super thin tortilla. The drinks were all really good, too. The kids’ favorites were the fruit smoothies, lemonade, and chocolate shakes. I liked the mojitos and fresh margaritas; my husband took advantage of the nice tequila selection and some cervezas.
SKY POOL BAR – same menu, but for some reason, food was not as good. Tried the fish tacos (just ok); same burrito we had at the main pool (not nearly as good) shrimp salad in avocado (too mayonnaisey), although the shrimp artichoke pizza was very tasty.
BUFFETS – tried the Asian buffet at El Nao, the Carnival at Rose, Champagne brunch at El Nao, and pasta buffet at Blanco, and they really were not very good – not nearly as good as the lunches we got at the pool bar or lunch at Cilantro’s at PB Blanco.
EL NAO –Came for dinner one night and ordered off the menu and it was very god, but Asian buffet and Champagne brunch there were just ok (see above).
BISTRO - ate there twice – spinach goat cheese quesadillas were very good (they also made a plain cheese one for the kids which they liked); wood-fired pizza was very good; steak filet was good, but ordered medium rare, and came out too rare. Salad w/ strawberries and goat cheese was very tasty.
ROOM SERVICE – Great for breakfast (and included in the all-inclusive, pretty cool) – the kids liked the pancakes, even though they were pretty dense. I liked the huevos Pueblo Bonito w/ cactus and beans, although a little heavy; eggs benedict were pretty tasty too. For the kids menu, tried the chicken noodle soup (surprisingly delicious), mac and cheese (very tasty; rich, homemade white cheese sauce – not the Kraft variety), cheese sandwich (kids loved it), and turtle cheesecake (not great; didn’t really taste like cheesecake).

INTERNET – free in 2 locations on site -- at the Manila bar and Sunrise coffee. Otherwise, pretty extravagant -- $10/hour or $16/day, $80/week for ONE computer – another $50/per week for a second computer.

ACTIVITIES - For such a big resort, I was surprised that there weren’t more activities. Each day at Sunset, there were just a handful of activities – basically just a power or beach walk (and I think this was another timeshare-sale opp – I tried to bring my daughter and was told no kids were allowed due to the “marketing” aspect), beach volleyball, and water aerobics daily, and then once or twice a week they had things like Bingo, cooking class (extra fee), ping pong tourney or Texas Hold ‘em. I would have liked more activities, especially free ones, and especially for the kids. Also, there were some games to check out, but at the Activity Center which closed at 5 pm; would have made more sense to have these available in the Lobby 24/hrs.
Also, I thought the fee for the fitness center ($15/day, unless you’re on all-inclusive) was high. And even then, there was $20 extra for all fitness classes (pilates, spinning, abs, stretching and tae bo), even if you ARE on all-inclusive plan. I think this should be included w/ fitness center. I did do the yoga at the Pacifica next door on the beach one morning (walked down – about a 25-minute walk and took the shuttle back) and it was wonderful – just $15 extra.

COMPARISON: I always think it’s helpful when reviewers compare to other resorts. On this trip, I visited all 4 Pueblo Bonito resorts – Sunset, Pacifico (adults-only, holistic), Blanco (the first, smallest, Los Cabos), and Rose (next to Blanco, on Medano Beach), and I would have to say, while Sunset is beautiful, next time I come back to Cabo, I’d like to stay on Medano Beach, where I can swim in the ocean and be walking distance from the various beach bars and nightlife. I really liked the intimate feel (and great views) of Blanco, but it only has 1-bedrooms, so next time, I can see ourselves staying in a 2-bdrm (or 3-bdrm if we’re really lucky) at Rose, right on the beach. Although I’m sure I’ll take the free shuttle to do some yoga on the beach at Pacifico and spend at least one day living it up at the Sky pool at Pueblo Bonito Sunset.

SUMMARY – Pueblo Bonito Sunset is a magnificent resort. I feel ungrateful rating it less than 5 stars. On the other hand, it really was a bit spread out for me and wasn’t a big fan of the golf carts, and didn’t like the high fees for internet or fitness classes. If I could rate it partial stars, I might give it a 4.5 to 4.75, but it’s a great resort and so I’m rating it a full 5.

Room Tip: If you can get one, the Presidential suites w/ your own private jacuzzi are pretty incredible. Other...
12 Thank SDTraveler01
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Our family--middle aged mother and father and 10 year old son--spent a week at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach the first week of April 2012 and had a wonderful time.

A nice man always opened the door and greeted us and helped us with our bags. It was well maintained and had a nice smell. My mom said "it was impeccably clean".

We liked all of the pools, and we all liked the swim up bars, where we could all eat lunch together while in the water.

We signed up for a wave rider (jet ski) trip one day and a glass bottom boat and snorkeling trip another day. We were able to do this through the hotel, and then go into town for the excursion, and we got a discount for signing up through the hotel.

We liked the food, the room service, and the beach; however, you cannot swim at the beach at the hotel, and have to go into town to swim in the ocean. This is because of the dangerous waves and undertoad on the beach at the PB Sunset. However, it is a beautiful beach.

They have many pools, and it is easy to get around, either by walking or by carritos. Everybody there was nice, and spoke really good english. The exchange rates were good there, no "rip offs" changing money at the PB, unlike some other places.

Every room had a hot tub with a breath taking view of the ocean and we sat in the steaming thing every day ( I have no idea how my mom stayed in it so long).

The only bad day we had was when my father made us drive our car to La Paz and back for no good reason at all.

We had our own rental car, and drove to a lots of parts of town where there were no other tourists, or other Americans. We saw a movie (the Lorax) at the large shopping center/mall
on the north west side of town. However, we did not get to go ice skating because of the really long line to get in.

We did not go on the time share tour, and they did not pressure us to go.

It was a great place, and we'd love to go back one day.

Room Tip: Any room at all at the PB will be awesome.
4 Thank William F
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at PB Sunset Beach with three families the first week of April. The drinks, food and service were excellent. I have read other negative reviews so went to the resort a little guarded but experienced nothing but the best. We all purchased the all-inclusive package which was a great deal. Breakfast at the La Nao Restaurant every morning had great food and service. Lunch by the pools was always convenient, great and prompt. Drinks wherever you went were top notch. Dinner at the Bistro or La Nao was good. I heard some people complain about the silliest things so no wonder there are some negative reviews. Everything cannot be available whenever or wherever you wish - relax you are on vacation in a beautiful location. Suggestion to all - Tip $5 after every meal and they won't forget you when you return. When by the pool hand your main waiter $5 after your first order and he will be your friend all day. These people work hard so what's the harm in tipping $15 a day to get the best service. Everyone has a bad day so brush it off and find one of the other 1000 workers to help you out the next time. Rooms were large, the grounds are beautiful and we are returning again next year. Don't complain about time share sales if you choose to do the tour, get their welcome drinks or $200.00 credit. We were asked politely twice about doing the tour and we told them politely "Thanks, but we are owners already". Word to the wise, they never checked so go ahead and use our line. Enjoy this incredible place and have fun~

8 Thank Hawktravelsfrommn
Las Vegas
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We checked in at the PBSB on monday night 4/2 on an RCI exchange. As I waited to check in the clerk made a phone call. I thought there was a problem as she spoke quickly in spanish. She hung up the phone and asked if it would be ok if we were upgraded to a Villa in the Montecristo area of the PB resort. My wife and I agreed that we would take this upgrade at no additional cost. My 14 year old daughter was ecstatic. There are now three of us in this beautiful villa with 3 bedrooms, two stories, sleeps 10 and has its own pool and jacuzzi and almost 3000 square feet. Tonight we used the barbecue and grilled steaks and watched the sunset from the jacuzzi. The only negative is some of the furniture is old and not that comfortable. Also older televisions in the unit. But I am certainly not complaining.

Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed at PB Sunset Beach for two weeks in March 2012. Weather was fantastic, the humidity of the summer months hadn't come in yet. This resort is beautiful and so well maintained. There are flowering shrubs and flowers everywhere. The rooms are immaculate and very large. (Better than any other place I've stayed.) We were in a 2 bedroom 2 bath the first week and a one bedroom 2 bath the second week and both were very nice. Every unit has a balcony with a view of the Pacific ocean. The maids come in daily and clean your unit until it shines.
Service is a top priority. The staff is here to help you and make your vacation a great time. All the staff I encountered went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful!! The other thing about this resort is security! It is a gated resort and every vehicle in and out has to check in at the guard station. I never felt at risk here.
The resort is built on the side of a mountain and is very hilly. If you're in shape or want some exercise you can walk up and down the hills from your building to the main lobby area etc. OR you can call for a transport cart to take you to your destination. Just call from your room and by the time you get to the front of your building the cart is waiting to transport you. A few times we had to wait a minute or two for the cart but this was rare. I had stayed here several years ago and we waited a long time for the carts. PB has obviously improved the cart service and it is now a great feature.
There are pools (including one adult only pool) all around the reosrt (I think 9 pools) and you can use any of them. You CANNOT swim in the ocean at PB Sunset due to the strong ocean currents. (You can swim in the ocean at PB Rose, sister resort.) All have towel booths so you don't have to lug your big pool towels with you for the week. All the pools we went to had pool bars where you could order drinks, light snacks or lunch. Try going to the "Sky pool" at the highest spot in the resort that overlooks everything. Unbelievable view.
There is an "all inclusive" option that we tried for three days and it was very reasonable. We like to try other restaurants and eat at home some nights so we didn't want to do more than three days. It was a good value for the money, especially if you like to have a few cocktails which are included.
The resort is a bit far away from downtown Cabo but there is a shuttle, which runs once an hour, that goes to the sister resort, Pueblo Bonito Rose. You can walk to downtown and the marina area from there if you don't mind a little walking. If you don't want to or can't walk far you can still take the shuttle to the Rose and then take a cab downtown for about $6.00. A cab from PB Sunset to downtown cost us between $10.00 and $12.00 depending on where we went. To take the shuttle bus you do need a ticket (free) that you get in the main foyer area. The last return bus of the evening gets full sometimes so be sure to reserve your return spot when you get off the bus upon arrival at the Rose.
If you like to cook and plan on buying groceries take the shuttle to Rose and then take a cab to Walmart from there. Stock up for the week and take a cab from Walmart back to the Sunset. Prices are reasonable. You will not be able to take groceries on the shuttle bus between resorts. The cab fare from Walmart to Sunset was around $18.00. The prices at the small resort market are very expensive! There is also a Costco and Sams Club in the area but we didn't try either so I can't comment on them.
There are actvities at the resort but again, I didn't partake, so I can't comment.
It was just a great, relaxing vacation surrounding by a breathtakingly beautiful resort. I love it here!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and have an ocean view. Many people enjoy rooms closer to the ocean so...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends