“Not all rooms are ocean view .....”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Not all rooms are ocean view .....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I don’t believe I have ever written a critique of a hotel but do admit that I read them thoroughly and often find the information to be most helpful when travelling, so I hope you find this helpful, especially first time visitors to Cabo. This was our third visit over the last six years. You can always depend on beautiful weather, friendly people, a safe environment and great food.
We always have elected to stay at the resorts located on the Pacific side. If you enjoy the spring break type crowds stay on the bay side. It is easy to walk or water taxi over to the other side.
For this trip we stayed one week at Playa’s “The Ridge” facility. Travelling to Cabo for us is an all-day event, thus when we arrived at the Resort we were tired. We had no issues with check-in and were told our room number was 3050 and pointed to go through a hallway. After about 20 minutes of wondering around and asking three different people, one individual knew where our room was located. I was in Building E (would have been nice if they told us this, but none of the buildings are marked anyway) and it would be helpful if they improved the signage or gave us something upon check-in showing how you need to go up and down to navigate around The Ridge. Several different websites I have printed off information indicate “all rooms have an ocean view”. This is not true. We walked into our room to find it overlooking the hotel parking lot, the street in which buses stop all day and night picking up locals and some buildings across the street. We could see the marina and the mountains which is also nice, but could not be enjoyed over the noise. We called the front desk, were promised we would be moved on Saturday, a promise they never followed through on. Unless you have a room on the same level as the Lobby plan on getting a good dose of daily exercise going up and down.
The room itself was wonderful, the bed comfortable. They have coffee for sale in the room, but NO COFFEE MAKER. They should also explain to you how the a/c unit and automatic electric control works. Since we had no view, we ended up spending all of our time out of the room. There always is a lot of chatter about individuals selling timeshares but we found if you just tell them you are not interested they leave you alone. Same is true for when you walk around the marina. The only other item to be advised on is to get up early and put your pool towel on a chair or you may end up without a place to sit at the Ridge pool. Individuals also do this at the Playa pool. It annoys many people as this seems to be a big topic of conversation around the pool. Also, there is a key operated gate that allows you to by-pass Playa’s Lobby and exit directly outside to the street from The Ridge. Why this gate is only open from Noon to midnight is beyond any explanation. It is so convenient it should be open 24 hours a day.
On a positive note, everything else was wonderful , the food at Alexander’s on the marina was wonderful, Senior Sweets is wonderful if you tired of Mexican or love gelato, but food at Ridge pool bar was also excellent.
We picked up a copy of our hotel bill the night before we checked out when we scheduled our shuttle back to the airport. Check it carefully, we found errors. I previously read that check-in and check-out took a long time, but we did not have any issues.
Lastly, the hotel arranged our shuttle back to the airport. The driver dropped us off at the terminal, never asked what airlines any of us were on. Turns out when they remodeled the airport they have some airlines departing at one building some at the other. Well, we were at the other one. Our driver had already left and we were told we would have to hire a taxi to get to the other terminal. We had time and it was about a six block walk. If you have not been to Cabo in a while, the new departure area is fantastic!

Room Tip: I think that the hotel should let you know where your room is going to be when you book it. I would...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Guests from Indianapolis, Indiana:

On behalf of The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande, we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
we really appreciate your comments, this is very important for us to understand our guests' experience and we use this feedback as an integral part of our evaluation and quality improvement cycles.
As a valued guest, your opinions are of great importance.
We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience at The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande.

Sincerely yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,140)
  • Turkish first
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I gave this a 1 bc i wanted ppl to read!. It is a beautiful place but we encountered too many issues. If you want to stay at the Playa Grande Luxury Villa's on the marina side plz know first that the Marina has a pen of dogs (we are not sure why, for cruise ship drug checking???) but they bark constantly. To the point we could not enjoy the huge patio and had to turn on the fan to drown them out. The fan stunk as if it needed changed. The walk to beach is a min of 10 min. the Beach isn't swimmable!! Its terribly windy and when we were there it was cold. 2nd week of feb. DO NOT DO THE TIME SHARE BREAKFAST TOUR! IT IS TOTAL BULL! THE COST IS AROUND 100K, YOU WOULD NEVER EVER MAKE THAT BACK AND IT WAS 4 HOURS LONG!!!!!!!
A COMPLETE WASTE OF OUR TIME! WE ARE TIRED OF NEGOTIATING FOR EVERY SINGLE THING IN MEXICO. ALSO WE got a massage at the beach, they cut our time in half and tried to charge us for the full time. However its very beautiful, food at restaurants is great, I would just look for a place that is on beach (not behind on cliff) and a beach you can actually use. we were not allowed on much of beach. rip tides...There were other issues but this is good enough. we will not return! 10 couples went. Cabo is great in feb if you want to Whale watch.

Room Tip: Do not stay on Marina side!! do not stay at luxury villas if you want to be near beach. Do not stay...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ruth G
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guests:

The comments you have made describing the experience you have encountered during your stay at Playa Grande Resort and Grand Spa, came to my attention. Please accept my apologies.

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, we need to know when problems occur so the appropriate action can be taken.

Concerning your comments with the barking dogs I want to inform you that we have been reporting this subject with the corresponding authorities to try to resolve this situation.
I also held a meeting with our Spa therapist involved in the Spa massage and measures have been taken to avoid this situation happen again in the future.

We value your patronage and hope that you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate that your past experience with Playa Grande is not characteristic of our performance, but an unpleasant exception.

As an attempt to regain your trust, we would like to ask you to please visit us again in the near future and allow us the opportunity to pamper you as intended.

Salem, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife adn I stayed at Playa Grande in the Ridge section for the first time during our last trip. This is our 5th time to Cabo and first time staying at Playa Grande. We rented our week there off of Redweek and asked the owner of the unit to request the Ridge. We stayed in room 3141 which is in the eastern most building on the second floor. First off the good. The room was nicely appointed, we stayed in a master suite, which is a one bedroom. The maid service was great, they will even do your dirty dishes. We had a view of the marina and Medano beach/bay from our room. The kitchen is full size with a full size refrigerator, dishes and a stove top. If you want to shop and make your own food it's nice to have. The showers were nice with good water pressure and hot water that didn't run out. There is a pool on the Ridge that only guests in that section have access to. It was a really nice two tiered pool with the upper tier being adults only. We usually didn't have any problem finding a chair at the upper section. Since we were there during whale season we got to see whales from our pool chair. The marina is a 5 minute walk and downtown is a 10 minute walk. Ok now the bad. There is a kennel of some sort nearby with dogs that never seem to stop barking. It made it nearly impossible to leave the doors to the deck open. We were close to the road so we got the noise of vehicles passing by. This didn't bother me much, but the barking dogs were quite annoying. There is street access from the Ridge side, but the doors are only open from noon to midnight. Not sure what that is about. There are several up and down sections that require a hike. If you have someone in your group that isn't moderately fit it could be a problem. The walls of the units seem to need better sound proofing. There were a couple of days we were able to hear the people above us having a good time. If you want to go to the main pool section of the resort it is also a hike. The drink prices at the pool bar are ridiculous, so be prepared to pay a lot for a drink. We only bought when it was happy hour, which is from 3 to 5 pm. All in all it was an average stay for us. After seeing the main section of the resort we felt we would be happier over there, better views and NO BARKING DOGS! If we return to Playa Grande we will stay in the main section and avoid the Ridge.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buzzbydoodle
Dear Guests from Salem, OR :

Concerning your comments with the barking dogs I want to inform you that we already reported this situation with the authorities and we sincerely hope to see a good resolution very soon.

San Leandro, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have to say that in these dire economic times, especially for myself, I am not sorry that I bought into Playa Grande timeshare. I stayed there the first time on the hotel rack rate, which was quite high, but I was making more money then. I purchase for every other year and I went back in October 2011. The spa is still awesome and this time I had the beach massage - those women have magic fingers! I would not take the small villages tour again since they take you to this horrific small zoo where the animals are truly suffering. If they cut that part out, the tour would be OK. I stayed one night in the Ridge section where the villas are larger, but the pool was out and my room was so very far away that I moved back to the oceanside and was glad I did. Every night I left my patio door open so I could hear the sound of the ocean. Then there was the baby turtles. Mexico now passed a law for sea turtle conservation, so since Playa Grande is on the ocean-side of Cabo, they protect the hatchlings and release them into the ocean at 7 am and 7 pm every day. This was the most thrilling experience! Save the sea turtles!!

Ah yes and the staff is great as is the location. No need for a car and there are taxis and walking to downtown and the mall is quick and easy. Weather is hot in October, but I love the dry heat here. Much more tolerable than Cozumel.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side unless you are a honeymooner and don't want to leave your room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dear Guests from San Leandro, California :

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
It was truly our pleasure to serve you. In order to maintain the high standards of service excellence for which we strive, it is very important to listen to every client.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Wishing you a world of happiness,

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

After a prior booking at the Playa Grande Resort, this time a suite in the Ridge portion was booked for my six nights in Cabo. The accommodations and solitude of the mountaintop Ridge pools and bar was outstanding. In stark contrast to the units below, pools here were uncrowded, tranquil, and blessed with infinity pool views of harbor and breaching whales offshore in the Pacific. Service at the Ridge pool side was completely superior in all aspects compared to experiences below in the main pool and bars. While advertised as an adults only pool, there is a lower Ridge pool that was utilized by screaming kids on a water slide that requires them to come to the upper level to board the slide. Not a problem but be prepared.

The suite faced the marina with a world class view of the yachts and activity. Furnishings were top notch, with copious stone and marble throughout the unit. Housekeeping was surgical and meticulous, with turndown service. The TVs need an update though there was a small iPod docking clock radio. Below the suite was a restaurant with an extremely loud air-conditioning and ventilation blower, so loud that patio conversation was difficult and even disturbing inside the suite with doors closed. However this issue is not constant and limited to a few lower units facing the marina.

Room Tip: Simply book a suite as high up in the Ridge portion of Playa Grande.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guests from Austin, Texas :

We thank you very much for your lovely comments and for choosing The Ridge at Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa in Cabo San Lucas.
We are glad that your experience with us was a very pleasant one and we hope that we can be of service to you again soon.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
Wishing you a world of happiness we all send you our best regards.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Cabo itself is beautiful, walk across the sandy beaches and enjoy wonderful activities such as walking along the beaches, swimming with dolphins, etc. But the best part was the resort we stayed at: playa grande. Beautiful pools, palm trees, swim in bar, buffets, mariachi bands, aka paradise.
Lovely place

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank marie78970
Dear Mary:

We thank you very much for your lovely comment “Best vacation I have ever had!”

Come back anytime to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!
Hoping to see you soon we all send you our best regards.
Poulsbo, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We spent a week at the wonderful Playa Grande in Cabo San Lucas. The resort is beautiful, the staff is friendly and accomodating, and it's a close walk to the Cabo marina for shopping, dining, excursions, and just plain fun.
We enjoyed a Mexican Fiesta at the resort. The activites for adults and kids were plentiful and the food and ambiance were top notch. The pools are beautiful and the grounds are immaculate.
The Playa Grande is a jewel of a resort if you're planning on Cabo this year.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a Pacific Ocean view, but the higher floors are the best. We stayed on the 3rd f...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Wayne:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We are glad that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time!

We sincerely appreciate your comment “Excellent vacation destination in Cabo”

For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you.

Hoping to see you again soon we all send you our best regards from Playa Grande and Sunny Cabo San Lucas.