“Great trip for Family with Young Adults 18 +”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This started out with a call from our travel agent who told us were were bumped from the Riu one day before we were to leave. We have two university aged children who were travelling with us, so we were all disappointed that we would be missing the activity of the Riu which is more in the hub of San Luca. Despite this, we all had a great time.
Food was terrific and it was nice not to have buffet. Since there are 5 Pueblo hotels, were were able to visit the ones in town through the shuttle. Great to see the different hotel atmospheres and experience the food somewhere else.
The beach staff were terrific (Miguel and Joshua) and we enjoyed daily volleyball and pool activities. They even had beer pong to appeal to the young adults.
Food was great at La Frida although they did run out of an entire page of seafood and many main entrees by the 9:00 seating. Go earlier to be sure you have a selection.
Golf courses were spectacular. We went to Cabos Real, Palmilla and Cabo del Sol. We rented a car and this made it very easy and about the same cost as a taxi there and back. It also gave us flexibility to drive to Cerritos beach where the family went Surfing on a very cool laid back beach where experts and beginners hang together. Well worth the drive although road is not marked well.
Be sure to visit Cabo Wabo. We were luck enough to be there when Sammy Hagar was there to give a 45 minute free concert with his very good back-up band. Good time had by all. Lots of other great bars; just not enough time to try them all.
Although Pacifica was quiet, here are the pluses:
No timeshare or vendors bugging you.
Your own virtual private beach
Whales swimming by everyday within 50 yards of shore
Fire and Ice Martini bar down by the beach
Small intimate bar which attracted new friends every night
Gorgeous pools and hot tub with wind shelter to block the wind
Friendly and helpful staff
Close to Pueblo Bonito Sunset where there were more things to do
It was great trip

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank WABToronto

Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was my second stay at Pacifica and it was even better than my first. I was there for four days with my best friend and it was heaven. We reserved a suite and had a slight mix up with our request for double beds. Martin took care of it immediately by having our king bed swapped for two doubles. The room was ready in no time and they were very pleasant about the change. We used the beach beds for two of the days we were there and it was so wonderful! Daniel was terrifc at taking care of us. The food was even better than last time and I was so happy to see that they expanded the main restaurant, Siempre, and moved the Sushi restaurant to the main buidling. The morning brunches were fantastic with made-to-order omlettes and mimosas! Sunday brunch was even more spectacular. You do not find this kind of food at a typical all-inclusive! We also took advantage of the new partnership with Sunset Beach and dined at Frida one evening. I wish I could say that it was as good as Pacifica, but it was not! The food was okay, not worth the hype. They only had two wines available on the all-inclusive plan. The staff was pleasant, but not anything like the people at Pacifica. We were happy to get back to our hotel! I have to give a shout out to Kanji and Fernando in the Siempre bar as well. Best margaritas EVER! I also have to thank Jaime for taking such good care of us during our stay. If you can splurge, I highly recommend getting a suite with butler service, if for no other reason than to meet people like Martin and Jaime, who should teach a class in hotel service. They go out of their way to make you happy. We felt like family by the time we left! If you want a very relaxing, elegant, adults-only all-inclusive experience, RUN TO PACIFICA! All the nightlife you can handle is a $12 cab ride away and you get to return to quiet ocean breezes and pampering by the entire staff. What more could anyone want from a Cabo experience? I will be returning again very soon!

PS The timeshare pressure was nonexistent this time around. We were asked once when getting our bracelets and that was it. Bravo to Pacifica for curtailing that!

Room Tip: Every room has an incredible view! Splurge on a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MSM93
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I had the best vacation ever here.The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Daniel and Hector were our favorites at the poolside bar.Our room was always taken care of, it seemed like each time we left we came back and it was cleaned with a cool towel creation, but we never saw our cleaning crew.The grounds are immaculate and the attention to detail at this resort is amazing.We loved the adults only aspect!!The food was always fresh and had a great number of options.Some people on here complained about the timeshare presentation, but we were only asked once when we got there and we said no and were never asked again, there was no pressure this place is completely relaxing.Again best vacation Ever!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank J_T0826
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This place is all about service, every staff member there wants to make your stay the best!Small, intimate resort. Perfect for couples.This is adults only. If your looking to relax this is the perfect place.
This was the best resort food we have experienced so far. Not a bad meal to be had. Not a lot of choices but just enough for our 5 day stay. Plus you do have the option of going to Bonita Sunset and their restaurants, which is only a 5 minute shuttle.
Bed was a little hard, put the pillow selection made up for it. Room not very big, but comfortable, Balcony was excellent for whale watching and hanging out, sipping coffee or a drink. Black out curtains for sleeping in, no problems with noise or something not working. Room service comes twice a day, once to clean up and then again later for turn down and fresh towels again if you need them. Small refrigerator in room stocked with water, soda and beer.
No live music, but the martini bar was nice and all the bartenders were generous with the alcohol.
I did not like to have to sign for a check after each meal, after all it is all-inclusive, but it did enable me to leave a tip if I forgot to bring cash with me.
DId not use the spa treatments so cannot speak to them.
Took the shuttle to Sunset and had dinner their one night. Easy shuttle service to use.
Taxi cab into town was $12 each way.
Came home feeling very relaxed!!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms on1st and 2nd floors do not have ocean views but all rooms face the same directio...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mhalverson
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is the second time I stay there (first time was my honeymoon), after a couple of days at Sunset Beach, we moved to Pacifica Holistic Retreat and the service is excellent, it is a place to relax and enjoy. We had the opportunity to see the breaking ground of the 18 holes golf course being built there, finally!!! We went and saw all the properties they sell there and they are a true breathtaking places.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jorgecortes
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed at this resort because we got an american express voucher for 7 nights free (which came with a cruise we went on a couple years ago). With that said we decided to pass on the all inclusive option because we love to eat all the delicious food in town. We didn't want to feel limited to the resort food. After it was all said and done, I am glad we did it that way. I read many reviews on this resort prior to our trip to get a clear picture of what to plan for. The following report are things I wish I would have known prior to coming. Here are the details...

Getting There: We rented a car and had a hard time finding Pacifica the first time because we didn't realize that we needed to follow the signs to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.

The RESORT: The Lobby was amazing! Very relaxing smell and sounds as you walked into this sanctuary. The resort was decorated in Desert Style. Cactus, rock, open areas, flowing water looking over to the ocean. It was nice to have open areas felt spacious. Although, I live in AZ around desert landscape and would have loved a more green, Mediterranean style resort. Just personal preference... We went up to Sunset Beach one day and that landscape was exactly what I loved.

The ROOMS: Pros: It was styled nicely, very modern and very clean. The shower was relaxing and nicely designed. (no bathtubs) Cons: It was a small hotel room with a balcony. When in Cabo I prefer to get a villa type room that has a mini kitchen & microwave. We had a few really great leftovers from the fabulous food we had in town but couldn't reheat it or even keep it cool.
We ended up going on a cold and windy week in February. It was hard to heat the room up. The heater ran all the time but blew cold air. Also it was very windy and as a previous review noted there was a whistle that came through the door about half the time. It wasn't terrible, just noteworthy.
With this nice of a resort I expected to have the basics of a hotel room in the US like free coffee and small refrigerator. It had a refrigerator but it didn't get cold the entire time we were there. It had a coffee pot you could make coffee in, but it would cost you about 6 bucks all said and done after they charge you for every little thing. And unless you like your coffee black that won't even work because there were no condiments provided. (like cream and sugar) I enjoy that many hotels are putting coffee makers in rooms now that use single cup pods. Such a nice touch I wish we would have had at Pacifica.

Timeshare Offer: We too were offered to attend a timeshare breakfast at arrival. We were offered $100 vouchers in food & $200 vouchers for anything at any PB resorts including food & Bottle of Tequila & $50 voucher for Spa. That made it worth attending the timeshare for us. It was harmless and not to bad pressure. I would do it again.

Food & Drinks: The resort food was just ok. I am glad we didn't have it every day/every meal. Some food was great, some food was horrible. Specifically, I loved all the drinks I ordered. Such as Mojitos, Margaritas, etc. We had the breakfast buffet a couple times but after the second time we preferred to go into town and enjoy some of the fabulous restaurants Trip Advisor Contributors recommended. Two things I ordered that stood out as being very bad were the eggs benedict for breakfast and the ceviche from the pool bar. It was really bad and I am a huge ceviche fan and look forward to coming to Cabo for the amazing way it is specially prepared down there. I could taste the fishy taste in my mouth an hour later after eating it. I likely would have gotten sick, but I only took a couple bites and was done. My other complaint is about the coffee. Consistently not very good at all! Granted, my standards are a little bit high growing up near Seattle area. But I will talk about the coffee more later.

Service: Pros: I thought the service was great overall. Such great people that work there. Seemed like there were always staff around if you ever had a question or needed anything. They serviced our room 2x daily which was so nice. Cons: When checking in they said if we used a American Express to secure the room it wouldn't hold the $600, just verify it and charge the final amount at check out. Vs. Visa or Mastercard would hold the funds until checkout. So we elected Amex and he was wrong. It held that amount plus when we checked out held the incidental charges as well. By the time I got to the airport to check my bags I was declined and had to contact Amex when I returned home to figure it all out.

Phone/Internet: The internet wifi was free here at the Pacifica. Although it was difficult to get a signal. You had to be near the lobby to get one. My biggest complaint of the whole trip: NO CELL SERVICE! Having kids and a business back home it is essential that I be able to call out using my cell phone. I have Verizon service and set up a Mexico plan but had to drive 10 minutes into town to use it. What a pain because when we were in town it was loud, busy and hard to talk to my kids. I enjoy calling them in the evening or morning when I can focus and have quiet for a few minutes. That would have been ideal at my resort. To call from the room it is .60 to call local into Cabo and 2.00 per minute to make calls internationally.

Pools: The smaller pool is heated warm. The larger pool with the swim up bar is very cold. But I enjoyed the set up up of the pools and loungers better than the the one we visited at Sunset Beach. That one seemed all crammed in and the one at Pacifica was spread out and more relaxing. Not as crowded. Never had to worry about not getting a bed for the 4 of us traveling together. Pacifica also had a nice hot tub design with loungers around that as well. It is all set next to the beach and easy to take a stroll and relax and watch the whales.

The SPA: This was a great experience! So relaxing and worth the $120 for a 50 minute massage. Although, as I mentioned earlier we had a $50 credit one of them. I learned later from some friends, they walked around the Monticristo (the resort up the way also owned by PB) and in the Fitness room there were half off coupons for massages and spa services that could also be used at Pacifica. I wish I would have known that before we paid full price for the 2nd one.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, primarily because of the small room size and lack of cell phone service. In years past I enjoyed being on the other side of Cabo San Lucas better. Specifically being in San Jose Del Cabo is what I loved. I would go back to San Jose next time. It just seems like a more classy town and much more safe and enjoyable to me.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lobby have better wifi connection
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank caprililac
Reviewed 17 February 2012

As a timeshare owner at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, guests can visit other Pueblo Bonito resorts in Cabo. Pacifica is adjacent to Sunset Beach and is a quick shuttle ride. It's an adult resort, making it quiet and peaceful.

I enjoyed the tranquility of Pacifica and the beautiful, uncrowded swimming pools. As a lap swimming, I found the extra large pool in front of the restaurant delectable. Although our timeshare is at Sunset Beach, (which is also an outstanding resort) I spent more days at Pacifica than at Sunset. The main reason was the swimming pool. But the other reason were the private yoga huts facing the ocean. I brought my mat and indulged in yoga while taking in the breathless views.

The pool wait staff and the restaurant were excellent. As was the free wireless access around the grounds and at the pool! Another bonus that Sunset Beach did not offer in 2011.

So if you are staying at Sunset Beach, make sure you treat yourself to a day or two at Pacifica. And if you are lucky enough to be staying at Pacifica, take the shuttle and explore Sunset Beach. Both resorts are truly spectacular!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple