“Great Fishing Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Redrum Sportfishing

Redrum Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an American owned and operated charter company that has been operating with local crews for 15 years. From Pangas, to cruisers, to sportfishers, to luxury yachts, we have a boat for every budget. We were tourist anglers like you, and after many trips to Cabo we decided we had to come down and try to make a dream a reality. Being in your shoes for many years, we know what the our clients are looking for and expect when they come join us for a day on the water. If you've gotten this far in your research you know this sport isn't cheap. While we aren't the cheapest, nor the most expensive, we feel like we provide the absolute best value for your dollar. There are a lot of costs that come with trying to make sure you have a great day on the water and without top of line gear, electronics, and well kept boats you don't stand a chance out there. We are a small family operation and we enjoy getting to know our customers on a personal level. Come give us a shot and we'll show you the Team RedRum difference.
Northwest
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Fishing Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

First, there's Tiffany. What a great person! Funny, informative and very willing to help. Then the owner - hey, anyone from TCU has to be great. The captain and mate were excellent. My brother and I took a trip for blue marlin. On the way we caught 4 dorados and a wahoo, saw whales tail slap, breach and pectoral fin slap. All that in just the first two hours. We then raced to where it looked like a bait ball was forming. Some hits but no hooks. Sadly, never did hook a marlin but the day was great, the captain and mate very helpful and knowledgeable. The captain worked the area well. There were marlin out there - I saw one jump in the distance and spied a couple of tails surface. Boat was clean, well maintained, shade when you needed it, fast, crew helpful and spoke english well enough, they got us on top of the fish, were focused on getting fish in the boat and making it a memorable experience. As an added plus we had an extra deck hand - Mario, an intern with lots of experience, fluent english and great stories. (Redrum you need to find a place for this lad.) I'd definitely consider using Redrum again. And, I'd get the breakfast burrito Tiffany recommended too.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank PeowCat

Moraga, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Fishing Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

After speaking with a few different Sportsfishing companies (and one that had a particularly insane lady), I called Ryan at Redrum and made my reservation for a half-day of fishing the week of Thanksgiving. We arrived at 6:30am for our allotted time and was introduced to our captain Manuel and his first mate Edgar. We took a 28' boat out, picked up live bait and headed out to the open sea. Within the first 2 hours we caught 4 Mahi Mahi (also known as Dorado because of their golden color when they come out) which was our limit. Manuel, the captain, then said we were going for Marlin and they changed up the baits etc. These guys took us way out and we actually had 2 Marlin on the lines but lost them after a bit of a fight. I can tell you they worked very hard to try and give us the best experience. Manuel had these eagle eyes that would hone in on where he would see a marlin jump and he'd turn the boat in that direction to try and catch one. It actually felt like we were hunting fish! Edgar the first mate worked really hard and was running around the boat making sure everything was done right and clean. They were a great team. As an extra added bonus, we saw schools of dolphin that swam right next to the boat which was a lot of fun.

At the end of the half day, we got back around noon and I can say we were tired but very happy. We laughed because Edgar was feeding the pelicans the bait fish and a huge seal come onto the back of the boat begging for food like a dog would. I've never been that close to a seal but can say it was ridiculously cute. We took only 2 of the fish home with us and that alone was 35lbs of filets! We gave the other two to the captain as a thank you. For $3/fish you can get whatever you catch filleted and Ryan at Redrum will vacuum seal and freeze it for you to take with you on the airplane. We bought a cooler next door to them and just checked it as luggage when we left. It was easy as pie and we have our 30+ lbs of mahi in our freezer!

Redrum is not the cheapest nor the most expensive Sportsfishing company there in Cabo but I can tell you they are the best. They have a solid reputation and Ryan take great care of you. Next time we're back, we're going back out again with Redrum but will take the kids with us - they would have a blast! I would highly recommend Redrum Sportsfishing to anyone that wants the best of Cabo fishing!

Visited November 2011
3 Thank lololongan
Denair, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Avoid boat captain and helper begs for more tip money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Over all the captains helper is worthless he lost half of our bait by casting poorly, had lots of birds nest on the reel over spooled wasting time. Even he was a Crappy deck hand I tipped him then he starts asking for more money and wanted to take my fish. I was being harassed until one of the local shops owners ran him off. Over all the fishing experience was good the help was very poor recommend using another outfit called muncho loco these guys have great help.

Visited December 2011
22 Thank Tdelg00
RedRum_Sportfishing, Owner at Redrum Sportfishing, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
This doesn't quite sound like our guys, no Captain or Deckhand mentioned. I would love to know which boat you fished on and which one of my guys doesn't know how to cast bait without getting a birds nest. This one looks a little fishy to me.
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

There's lots of fishing charters available in Los Cabos, don't choose this one!
We booked a full day trip with Redrum partially based on Trip Advisor reviews and partially on the fishing reports posted on the Redrum website. The reviews sounded good and the fishing reports made it sound like all their boats were catching lots of fish. We even went into the Redrum office the day before and we told that fishing was great.
Well, to make a long story short...no fish! We didn't touch a rod all day. Now I know you can say "Well, that's fishing" but I've booked lots of charters before and there's usually an extra effort made to catch SOMETHING for the clients. But not at Redrum. You've paid in advance, that's it. When the charter time is up, home you go. I would have expected that for that amount of money the company would have said "lets stay out an extra hour" or "come back tomorrow and we'll give you a discounted rate". But at Redrum, it's "Goodbye".
But the worst part was yet to come. We checked the Redrum fishing report later, and for that day they had reported that other boats they operate had gone out, and guess what? Lots of fish. But not a word about our charter which caught nothing!
Now this little exclusion brings into question everything about Redrum. If you're considering a charter with them, ask yourself this:
If they aren't being entirely straightforward with their fishing reports, what else aren't they being straightforward about?
As customers, we need to trust the people we charter from. Why book with a company you can't trust? There are lots of fishing charter outfits in Los Cabos. I'd recommend booking with another one.

Visited November 2011
22 Thank PeterF53
Thanks for fishing with Redrum, sorry that you didn't have the day that you expected.

I would like to address your questioning of the integrity of our fish report though. The reason your name did not show up in our fish report had nothing to do with what you did or did not catch. It had more to do with the fact that you had our office manager, Tiffany, in tears when you left our office after fishing. She was on the verge of tears the following day, recounting the story to me. I imagine the last thing she wanted to do when writing the fish report was bring up your day. I imagine the second to last thing she wanted to do was offer you a discount for fishing the following day. The customer is always right, but doesn't have the right to be rude. You question the integrity and validity of our fish report, but you'll notice you are the first to do so in 5 years of reviews on Tripadvisor. It doesn't happen often, but when our boats don't have success we report it just like the rest of the great days we have.

100 boats can go out fishing and 99 may catch fish. It does happen. I have been there, many anglers have been there. It is not fun, and not fair, but it doesn't mean that anything was done wrong. Our crews work hard day in and day out to catch fish and they are some of the best in the business. Our guys make the extra effort to catch fish all day long, they don't need another hour to do so at the end of the day. I don't see a mention in your post that our crews didn't work hard throughout the 8 hours, didn't change lures, didn't try different techniques or areas. I don't see that in your post because it wouldn't be true.

Sometimes there isn't anyone to blame when things don't go the way you had expected, and that's OK.
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fishing in Cabo!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Had two days of fishing, and was very successful both days! Javier & Jesus were an awesome fishing crew..... Highly recommend a fishing trip on your visit to Cabo

1 Thank Rhon914