“Great vacation and a nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here with friends, April 11-18th. Our group consisted of 13 adults from the Midwest and Florida. Last year our friends stayed here and told us we must come along this year.

We decided not to upgrade our room, but the gave us a great room, which was located on the four floor overlooking the main pool in building number 3. The room was so clean you would have thought it was new. *Note only building number 7 has an elevator, number 7 is closest to the ocean.

The staff was all very friendly and if you needed any thing, all you had to do was ask.

The pools were all very cold, unless you are from the far north, you were not in the pool. Even our friends from the Midwest avoided getting in the pools.

We found the food to be very good at the buffets and you could always find something good to eat. Lots of fish, steaks, pork and my favorite guacamole. The beer on tap is Dos Equis, which gets pretty old after three or four days. Also the white wine is really bad and I decided to skip all together.

We did try out three their restaurants that needed reservations. The ones we tried were Mexican, Chinese and Italian. Let me say I have been at many all Inclusive resorts and normally I would say make reservations and you will enjoy it. But these were the worst meals we ate the whole time we were at the resort. Really bad food, bad service, eat at the buffet.

The free internet is a joke, you cannot even spend and receive email. I tried to run a speedtest and it failed to run at all. After fighting trying to get email for a few days, I broke down and bought the paid version. It costs $15.00 for one day, $39.00 for three days or $70.00 for the week. The speed was fast and it would work in your room or at the pool.

After a few days I decided to venture out and for just $1.00 you can take a ride on a bus to Walmart. Normally I would not be seen in Walmart, but we needed a few supplies, so what the heck.

What I found was a great selection of wine and beer. I bought some light beer for my friends and a nice bottle of wine for myself.

For adventure we went to lovers beach and on my last day I went paralleling.

Normally I like to snorkel, but the ocean water this time of year is just cold. Also unless you go north a couple of hours, you will not find good snorkeling.

To be honest if you are looking to lay by the pool and drink and eat, great place. If you are looking for adventure and things to do, it is really not the place to go.

I will upload some photos in a few days.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gregbooras
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I just got back from a 8 night stay with my Fiance :). We went there with a large group of family and friends ranging between the ages of 8 months and 78 years!! My Fiance and I are in our late 20's, we do enjoy some quiet nights alone but also LOVE to party, and this was the PERFECT resort for us. We already made an ageement that when we do visit Cabo again we will not even look at other resort options.
-Amazing infinity pools with amaing views of the ocean,beach, and lands end!!
-Friendly staff
-Great food (the same things get a litte tiring after 8 days, so be sure to get up early and make resevations for Dinner)
-Great night life (and Cabo Wabo & Squid Roe are only a 12$ taxi ride away..sooo much fun!!)
-Room was Average....bed a little hard, but I am not gonna write a bad review because of it
-Easy/Fast check-in
-The one thing that we did complain about a few times was the noise. The walls must be paper thin. We were on the 1st floor which meant it was a high traffic area, and it was so loud that if someone was in the hallway it sounded like they were in our room. So there will definately be nights of broken sleep, but it didnt bother us THAT much.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lorib18
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I went to Cabo in Mid April to the Riu Santa Fe simply because it was a cheap vacation whose cost wouldn't affect our real vacation later in the year. I'd not big on relaxing vacation or resorts. I was bored to death with Cabo itself (seriously, what's the point? There's more authentic culture anywhere. This entire town just caters to tourists. Why do I have to fly for 8 hours to do it?)

But I'm not reviewing Cabo, I'm review the Riu Santa Fe!

1. Rooms: The rooms were spacious, cleaned everyday and the bed suited me just fine. As a big pillow hog, we had to call downstairs for extras as they only put three on the bed. They brought it up, no questions asked. There is of course an in room safe that is incredibly tiny and a lovely balcony. We were in building 1 and it was very quiet. You could hear some echos in the halls and I can understand how this could be a nuisance. But do to either luck or location, our building was quiet and we never had a problem at all.

2. Booze: The drinks are re-stocked every other day, which really isn't enough as I drink a lot of water and soda. Just call and request a restocking on your offday in the morning. The in room liquor it Cuervo and some really awful local rot-gut. If you're low class like me, you won't notice. If you have a taste for finer liquor, best skip your in room dispenser! They restock with Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and 7 Up (a Dr. Pepper found it's way in their once, but never again). If you want more Diet Pepsi's instead of regular, just tell the front desk and they'll make sure it happens. The bars give you very small glasses of watered down booze. This includes the beers which I discovered after having a dozen or so and not being dead from alcohol poisoning. I know why they do it (don't think cheap, think uber-drunk 18 year-olds who tend to vomit), but it's still very annoying.

3. Pools: I stuck to the pool in the middle of the resort. That area (which is much larger than the hip area around building 7) is quiet, calm and the pool is warm. We cruised by building 7 a few times and its infinity pools. It appears loud, obnoxious and full of drunken morons. If that's your thing, have at it. If you want quiet, go to the middle section.

4. Food: It's pretty bad and I eat just about anything! It you pick, you'll find stuff you like and I was okay by the end of the week. The desserts are misleading, they look good but are just flavorless. That's the biggest issue, the food isn't so much gross as just tasteless. We mostly stuck to the buffets, but did the Mexican one night...which just kind of tasted like the buffets with a smaller selection. Go figure. But, food is everywhere and you won't starve. Breakfast was the best because it's kind of hard to screw up breakfast.

5. Gym: A few treadmills, exercise bikes, yoga mats and weight machines. It's pretty small and was pretty empty every day that I went. There are no towels there, so be prepared to wipe down the machine with paper towels when you are done.

6. Chairs: Yeah, there are plenty of empty ones covered in towels. On the upside, there were always tons of available chairs on the beach.

Overall, I had a fine time. Beautiful facilities, great weather and kind of gross food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Atom H
Reviewed 25 April 2012

First thing I have to say is: When travelling to a 'developing country' like Mexico you have to keep in mind that things are going to be DIFFERENT. Ex: food, drinks, service, accommodations. It annoys me to read all the negative reviews about how the beds were "hard", the food was horrible, the coffee was bland..all the simple things people expect to be the same as home. You can not expect it to be like staying at a resort in Canada or the US! Keep an open mind when travelling afar!

This resort was amazing. I really do not have anything negative to say about it. The staff were incredibly friendly and understood English just fine. The grounds were well mantained and the rooms were always clean. Fridge was always stocked with lots of pop, beer and large bottles of water.

Buffet and a la cartes were all really good (as good as you could get in Mexico). Don't expect a lot of variety from the buffets - but that's what the a la cartes are for, to switch it up for you. If you want something different, go into Cabo for a meal. I recommend going to Mango Deck (maybe not family friendly as they have a 'booty shaking' contest during the afternoon, lol) but the food is great and 2 for 1 drinks! I would also recommend going into San Jose (about a 25 minute cab ride) and hitting up the Baja Brewery. Amazing beer and AMAZING pizza. By far the best meal we had down there.

I travelled to this resort April 14-21 with 3 other girlfriends (we are all 26) and I would have to say this is more of a party resort. There were a few families here BUT if you are looking for a more quiet/relaxing resort I would suggest the Riu Palace (which is right next door AND you can use the facilities of the Riu Sante Fe if you wanted). The pools near the ocean (swim up bars) are where it's at, of course! Always lots of action and partying.

There is lots to do at this resort and it's so close to Cabo if you need a change of scenery. I would recommend taking a water taxi across the bay to Lover's Beach. It is absolutely gorgeous there. Definitely pack some snacks, lots of sunscreen and water as there are no amenities over there. But it is a must see!

We went into Cabo a few nights and hit up Squid Roe, Pink Kitty, Cabo Wabo and Mandela. The bars don't get going until much later in the evening, but we had the most fun at Mandela and Squid Roe! Cabo Wabo seemed to be an older crowd and was never really busy (it was completely dead on a Friday evening..).

If you are considering going to Cabo you probably have already heard that the ocean can be dangerous to swim in. We did go in quite a few times but you just have to be careful it's not rough and be careful getting in and out (go with the tide) and do not go in the ocean when drinking... (made that mistake and will never do that again! lol). But the water is beautiful. If you want to swim in the ocean there is a beach nearby where you can swim and you can also swim at Lover's Beach.

All in all, this was a fantastic trip. I would definitely go back to Cabo and would stay at the Riu Sante Fe again!

Room Tip: Building 7 is closest to the beach.. But you can't go wrong with any of the buildings. The beach...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank SunGoddess85
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

We just got back from a week at the Riu Santa Fe. Going in I knew what to expect somewhat. Let's start with the room. We stayed in building 7 not sure you would call our room a ocean view or not. If you had to bend way over the rail you could catch a view of the ocean. The room was small compared to other rooms I have stayed in, smaller then the average US hotel room. The bed was 2 twin beds put together to make 1 bed. The bed was the hardest thing I have ever slept on ever. You woke up every morning with the worst back ache it sucked. Just based on the bed there is no way I would ever stay here again. I have slept on floors that are softer. The room over all was clean. Now the food. They had 2 buffets for breakfast and lunch with the same food everyday it gets old real fast. The food was usually cold and not very good. For dinner they have 4 restaurants to choose from and the big buffet. They also had some Mexican food out in the theater area every night. The Italian restaurant was ok not great ok. The Asian place don't waste your time the buffet is better. The Mexican place was decent not a lot of choices but decent food. The steakhouse was pry the best place to eat pretty good ribeye. The desserts everywhere at the resort suck. The dinner buffet may be the best place to eat every night we ate there once the food was pretty good and the service there was great. . Now for the reason I love all inclusives the pool bars. The drinks in a word: terrible. Everything was so bad everything. If you are like us and just wanna go chill for a whole in the pool bar go somewhere else. The bartenders were good just the alcohol they had to work with was real bad. They have 3 pool bars 2 are just a small pool by the ocean the other 1 is connected to a larger pool in the middle of the resort. The water there was much warmer. Pool water is cold. Very cold. There was a mix of people at the resort from families to groups of college guys. There seemed to be a lot of college kids for this time of year. They got very annoying very drunk and loud at times. The resort staff all try very hard they are all friendly and willing to help except your reservation people. I will never stay at another Riu property just based on its not adults only the beds a awful cant explain how uncomfortable the beds are and the food sucks and the drinks suck.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Brian5982
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My best girlfriend and I went to the Riu Sante Fe last year in June and absolutely fell in love with it! The resort was so beautiful and the staff was so accomodating and friendly. Evertything was immaculate and the grounds were gorgeous! The pools go forever and the first two days we actually hung out at the main relaxing pool and swim up bar, without realizing there was two whole more pools and swim up bars off the beach!!! You could totally choose if you wanted the wild, fun pool, or the relaxing, family pools. The food at all of the restaurants was delicious and the rooms were amazing! I can say nothing but good things and we are planning our next trip there with our husbands for next year!!

Room Tip: i personally liked all of the rooms. I would say first floor...no elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sunshyne31
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I took my 18 yr old daughter and 2 of her girlfriends as a birthday/graduation gift.We stayed from March 26-April 2, 2012. I've stayed at lots of all inclusives and always read the reviews ahead of time just to give me an idea of what to expect. The Riu Sante Fe was what I expected and we had a wonderful week there. It is one of the closest all inclusive resorts down the beach from Cabo. It's in a great location.
We stayed in building 4 and we were very happy there. It was about half way between the lobby and beach. We found that by being in building 4 and not in building 7 we got to see more of the property and ate at all of the restaurants instead of just staying at the pools and restaurant by building 7. We were on the top floor(4th) and it was a hike up with no elevator but we needed it after all the drinks and food over the week. It also meant that we had no noise on the tile floor from other floors.

Ask for top shelf liquor eg. Bacardi, Smirnoff etc.and you will get it. Miami vice, Bahama Mamma, Mango Dacquiri ,Purple Rain were some of our favorite drinks. The fridge in the room was stocked every second day with bottled water, pop and beer. If you needed it restocked sooner and requested it at the front desk they would bring it. There was no coffee maker in the rooms and the coffee in the restaurants was bad-instant coffee in large quantities.

The food was ok.Lots of it. We ate at the buffets as well as the Asian, Italian and Mexican al a carte restaurants. We had no trouble booking them. We loved all the fruit and smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Can't beat eating a meal on the patio over looking the beach every day. Lunch usually had us enjoying a big plate of nachos, fresh salsa and guacamole. Lunch at the pools by the beach also had the grill out with hot dogs and hamburgers. Out by the lobby bar and restaurant in the evening they had make your own tacos with beef or pork and they were great.
There is a computer in the lobby. There was often a long line up to use it though. If you bring your own laptop there is wi fi in the lobby area. I had 3-18 yr old girls that were off of their electronics for an entire week. Way to go Cabo!! ;-D
If you walk to the highway and cross it, you can get the bus for $1 into Cabo.It's a very safe ride and we took the bus back and forth into Cabo 2 different days. It's a short 10ish minute ride. A taxi is $3 pp or the water taxi from the beach is $5.
We did alot while we were in Cabo. We swam with the dolphins and did the zip lines with Cabo Adventures. The staff at both of those excursions were really wonderful. This mom was more than a tad scared about doing the zip lines. The staff were so patient and encouraging and I was able to do all of the zip lines...... without having a heart attack.They were also a lot of fun. I would highly recommend Cabo Adventures.
The girls did a triple parasail and I had a massage on the beach(soooooo relaxing!), both of those were great too. We took a water taxi over to Lover's Beach (bring towels, snacks and water bottles with you) and had a family of sea lions playing within 20 feet of our boat. They let us watch and take a lot of pictures. There were also a few whales out there that we got to see.
The girls played beach volleyball and we met a lot of great people. There is a Walmart and Costco a short distance from the resort if you forgot to bring anything from home.
There was a wedding on the beach that we all got to see from the railing at the pool. It was beautiful and then the bride and her wedding party were hanging out at the lobby bar later that night visiting with everyone. The Michael Jackson show on Monday night and the Grease show on Tuesday night were the most fun to watch at the resort.
We went into Cabo a couple of times and wandered the shops ("almost free for you today") lol and had lunch and margaritas at the marina.
The girls wanted to experience Cabo at night so we went to Cabo Wabo, Pink Kitty and Skid Roe one night. It was an experience. lol
The vendors are on the beach but don't bother you unless you show some interest in what they're selling.
The Riu was everything we were looking for. Friendly service, close to Cabo, and had everything we needed to have a wonderful week relaxing in Cabo on the gorgeous beach. As the tshirt says "No Bad Days in Paradise"

Room Tip: Building 4 is right in the middle of the property and is in a great location to either go to the lob...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
2.5 km away
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
26.6 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
25.8 km away
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!