All reviewssan josecoffee juicemexican hoteltown squareart galleriesla pazpool area isbeautiful poolswim up barmexicobajapacotilelandscapingpoolsidepesosservers
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I spent two wonderful days enjoying quiet San Jose after five days in Cabo San Lucas. The hotel is located behind the Tropicana restaurant and is a pleasant oasis with a beautiful courtyard and pool. The mood is mellow and it's a wonderful place to relax. The morning breakfasts at the restaurant were delicious with a large plate of fresh fruit, eggs, potatoes, salsa, toast, coffee and juice. On Saturday we enjoyed the local organic market (with lots of art too) and it was only a short walk from the hotel. We'll definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChiantiSoul
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I had a wonderful surprised when step into my spa treatment to found a romantic ambience candle light with rose petals all over the place, glasses or champaigne with chocolate and strawberry plus a delicious and involving roses scent in the room. The ladies: rossy and liz were amazingly good. Nothing but the best, very attentive, sweet but surprisingly strong at the same time. They took care of every single detail and deliver a wonderful couple massage experience for Valentines Day. Highly recomended!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatitoAngelito
Reviewed November 30, 2010

We have been staying at this hotel for possibly 10 years now. We love the place. The rooms are nice and clean and nicely decorated with nice linens and Mexican tiled bathrooms. The staff is abundant and eager to please in every way. Over the years we have experienced poolside happy hours with a swim up bar and free continental breakfasts at poolside with several juices, fruits, cereals, rolls, coffee and tea, etc. Sorrily they no longer offer that poolside, my guess is because of the general economy and fewer tourists. Now they have the free breakfast in the outdoor adjoining sidewalk restaurant each morning, probably to stimulate restaurant business at the same time. But no complaints with the full fruit plate, eggs, potatoes, juice and coffee. Notice that many of the reviews under the heading for the hotel are actually for the restaurant only, which I agree is lacking in service. Good food, but not good service and value. Don't let that deter you from a stay at the hotel which is a surprise quiet garden/pool setting behind the hotel. Our rate over Thanksgiving was lowered because we stayed 5 nights and was $110 a night PLUS taxes and a daily service fee. All totaled it was $132 a night. Love that it is right in the heart of town close to everything AND it has a secure parking lot; important since we were on a driving trip. The only downside was that the pool is not heated and too chilly to really enjoy much; a big factor for us. (76F degrees)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lovepalms
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Our flight got canceled and there were no available flights until the next day, so we had to quickly find a place to stay in town. We found the Tropicana because we were shopping along the streets and ate breakfast at the Tropicana restaurant. The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and even gave us a small discount off the regular rate. The hotel is very quaint and unique with a tropical feel. The beds are really comfortable and the room had everything we needed. There's even a nice pool and swim up bar. What we liked the best about this hotel was that there was free wi-fi in the hotel and the adjoining restaurant. We had stayed at the Hilton the week before where wi-fi is an additional cost and had so much trouble finding wi-fi anywhere else in the city. We got to catch up on our emails and use our iPhones. :)
We had a great one night stay at the Tropicana despite having our flight canceled. Thanks Tropicana!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ninerz82
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Tropicana for 3 nights last week and I was so pleased I felt I needed to write a review! The property has about 40 rooms (a bit larger than I usually prefer) but since it was "off season" we felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We had no issues with check-in or our reservation (a common issue in other reviews) and were put into the type of room we requested at the correct price. We were on the first floor right across from the pool and this was very convienient. All of the staff members were friendly and helpful.

The whole area around the hotel rooms is very well landscaped and quite attractive. We found oursleves hanging around the hotel much more often than we typically do & the super comfy outdoor furniture had something to do with this. I imagine that during "high season" it would be difficult to get a seat but for us it was perfect.

The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. The AC worked well and it was nice to have a fridge in the room.

Don't count on the complimentary "conntiential" breakfast being anything special--it is coffee (1 cup the only morning we went up for this), orange juice and plain white toast. I really don't care about this personally--just a "head's up"--coffee in the room is fine with me!

I look forward to staying at the Tropicana again when I visit SJD.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple