All reviews san jose coffee juice mexican hotel town square art galleries la paz pool area is beautiful pool swim up bar mexico baja paco landscaping poolside pesos servers
Reviewed August 9, 2015

I am a solo female traveler and I felt 100% respected, comfortable and welcome here. The room was perfect for me with a great bed (I'm picky on beds), clean well appointed bathroom, study desk, dining table with coffee maker and tasty coffee and good quality linens. It was a quick trip to the airport. I love that it is owned and fashioned in lovely courtyard garden Mexican style

I had lots of their fresh lemon water which they have available 24/7. The fan and AC kept me totally cool in the thicket of sweaty heat that is Cabo in August. The front desk reception chap was great about passing me messages from friends and giving me tips on the area.

Tropicana provided me with a very peaceful and private space for decompressing while giving me access to all the things I needed within two blocks; great restaurants, fine indigenous art for sale, bars and cafes, ATMs and all forms of transportation. A bonus is how near it is to the airport. Stay here your first and last night in Los Cabos. At sunset I floated in the super clean and warm pool and stared at the moon and stars as they came out- it was a high point.

Room Tip: You may want to be near the front desk to have access to the sweet parrot and parakeets and the lemon ice water.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank WanderfullLife
Reviewed August 8, 2015

Spent 5 days attending a wedding (ceremony arrangements, dinner, and party at hotel restaurant were very good). Short easy trip from airport with rental car and good parking. A couple of visits to the hub-bub of Cabo were fun, but we appreciated returning to San Jose as our base where we could stroll around the quiet, safe and clean streets to enjoy the local shopping and restaurants. We really enjoyed being in a real town and even stopped by a local festival in the town square Sunday night. Highly recommended for those not interested in big all-inclusives.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2015

Even thought the pet policy said no pets, when we asked, they said it was fine! Our dog liked laying by the pool, and there is a big parking lot next to the hotel that was good for her bathroom needs!

Room Tip: just not behind room 103, ice machine sounds like a train, we were warned, so we took another room and loved it!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2015

This is a hidden gem, beautiful decor, friendly staff, great food... We only stayed here one night but will be back.. Beautiful architecture, reminds you of an old "Hollywood" hotel.....Big wooden carved booths, tiered dining room, pictures painted on the walls..tons of plants and the pool is awesome....We booked thru Travelocity and "American Breakfast" was included....came with fresh fruit, 2 eggs and toast/tortillas, juice and coffee..Wish we had of stayed longer!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammy B
Reviewed July 12, 2015

Can you stay for 7 days in Baja without staying at an all-inclusive and still have a wonderful vacation?

Of course you can as long as you stay at the Tropicana Inn.

I wanted to spend a week in Baja Sur to take advantage of the strong US dollar. If you stay at an all-inclusive, you're not getting a bargain. You're paying in US dollars. But if you stay at the Tropicana, my room rate was in pesos and then converted into dollars PLUS any meals I ate outside of the hotel were also in pesos. Basically, I was eating and drinking for a fraction of what it really cost.

The Tropicana is in the perfect location to enjoy all of San Jose del Cabo. I could walk everywhere in the town from the hotel, including the OXXO, the bank and all of the restaurants. I even walked to the Mega. If you don't want to walk, taxis are normally parked right in front of the hotel every day. It's really a great location.

The Tropicana is an old school Mexican hotel with a lovely central courtyard. All of the rooms overlook the courtyard and pool. Because I was there during the "off-season" when it wasn't crowded, they put all of the people spending more than 1 night on the first floor.

Yes, I had one of the rooms right near the ice machine but it wasn't a problem for me because so few people were at the hotel not many people got ice. But in high season, be sure to ask for a room away from the machine. I was in Room #103.

The rooms are old school Mexico style with Mexican red tile floors and Mexican tiles in the bathroom, including the shower. I never had any trouble getting hot water. The shower was great.

There was a television with cable channels, only of which about 4 were in English. There is also an in-room refrigerator which was great. There is a new OXXO just 3 minutes away from the hotel where you can stock up on drinks and other goodies.

Two small bottles of water were in the room when I arrived and they were replaced every day by the cleaning staff.

The pool is hot and lovely. There were plenty of lounge chairs, but, again, this was the off-season. You can order drinks and food from the bar/restaurant at the pool and put it on your room.

I had breakfast included with my stay. It was in the restaurant and included a fruit plate as well as two eggs/bread and beans along with coffee or juice. I ate on the front patio every morning. The wait staff was great (be sure to tip even though the breakfast is included). I don't know if this is the breakfast you get in the high season as I saw something on line about it being a buffet outside of the reception desk.

The in-unit hair dryer worked great as did the air conditioning, which the cleaning staff always put down to freezing level but it was much appreciated in the heat.

If there were any flaws with the hotel it was that there weren't individual in-room safes. If you wanted to leave your electronics behind while you went on a tour, for instance, you had to leave them at the front desk. That was perfectly fine, and they were safe, but I think every hotel should have in-room safes these days.

What about wifi?

It is free but it was not reliable. Supposedly, the area by the pool was one of the strongest signal areas but it would kick me off after connecting after about 30 seconds. Yes, I could reconnect it again- but it just got annoying after awhile. I could get a signal in my room, but again, it would kick me off routinely.

I also felt like at the peak times, when there were more of us using it at the hotel, it was harder to get a connection. In high season, this would be a problem.

In order to get a really good connection, I went to the Starbucks by the Mega. I never once lost a signal there and could be on their strong connection for hours.

The courtyard vegetation was beautiful. You couldn't tell that there had been a major hurricane less than 9 months before. Bravo Tropicana and all of San Jose del Cabo. You have recovered beautifully.

The customers at the Tropicana are a mix of Americans and Europeans as well as Mexicans. There was a influx of people on the weekends because many stayed overnight to attend weddings at the lovely cathedral in town. They only stayed one night and then left. Kids are allowed and a few were there the week I was there.

The staff at the front desk all speak perfect English and are helpful at telling you how to get around town.

Would I stay here again if I wanted to stay in town? Definitely.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine which is on the first floor outside of Room #103.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo