“Great for sun and sand, but not much else” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Diego, CA
“Great for sun and sand, but not much else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

The Westin is in a beautiful oceanside location and is architecturally pleasing to the eye, but if sunning on the beach or alongside the pool is your primary interest, why travel to Mexico to do it? We did play golf at a couple very nice courses, but none that would outshine those in our own hometown (San Diego). We've literally been all over Mexico and enjoy the people and their culture, but to do that with the Westin as your base required a $60 round trip in a cab to visit downtown Cabo San Lucas or a $30 round trip to tiny San Jose del Cabo. No hotel shuttle is provided. If we return to Cabo, next time we'll pick a nice hotel downtown. Also, this was an all-inclusive trip, meaning all meals and beverages were free or, more accurately, paid for in advance. The Westin claims to offer a casual restaurant (La Cascada) that only serves a buffet meal that is mediocre at best and a fancier restaurant (Arrecifies) where you can order from a menu. In reality, however, reservations for all-inclusive guests at Arrecifies are rationed and were fully booked for the week within a few hours of our arrival. Visits to Arrecifies on two occasions for cocktails before dinner at La Cascada, however, revealed numerous unoccupied tables that had been reserved in hopes that guests who hadn't paid in advance would fill them. Out of embarrassment perhaps, we were seated at one of the empty tables one evening but found the food to be pretty bad at the fancy restaurant too. On the positive side, the daily breakfast buffet was quite good and lunch on the beach at La Playa was very nice as well.

Room Tip: Our view from our room's balcony was of buildings housing time-share condos that largely blocked...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank retiredtraveler22
TM1087, Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our F & B quality and the way we manage our All Inclusive plan, your comments have been taken seriously along with our Executive Chef i/c Food & Beverage, regarding the surroundings, besides the taxis we feature a car rental desk in the lobby, were you can find a variety of prices and models, finally thank you for your comments about the hotel architecture.

The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We spent 5 days here in March 2012 - family of 6. We had a truly wonderful time. The photos of this place don't do it justice - it is gloriously beautiful there.

The hotel staff is very friendly and extremely accommodating.

So relaxing and peaceful here. Having breakfast on the balcony while watching the sun come up over the sea is a religious experience.

You will not regret staying at the Westin.

Room Tip: Get a room with a full ocean view, you'll not regret it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DeltaSkyKing
Dear Guest,

Thank you for all your nice comments about the resort, but furthermore for our Staff, I am very happy to know you had a relaxing experience with us, we will be very pleased to host you back in the future.

hilton head island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The views alone are magnificent, during whale season you can sit on your balcony and watch them jump! The pools are gorgeous, the rooms very comfortable. I will say the food is a little expensive, but that being said it is very good! I've stayed at several at least 5 high end resorts in Cabo. The Westin is right up up there in one of the best. you will have to have a car because it's not within walking distance to anything, and I will admit the spa isn't the best but it isn't the worst. I've always had a great time when staying at the Westin in Cabo and I'm always sad to go home.

Room Tip: Almost all of the rooms have great views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments about the views, pools, the rooms and the F & B quality, I agree with you that renting a car is a good option in order to explore either San Jose del Cabo & Cabo San Lucas. On the other hand I thank you for your feedback about the SPA, we are currently working in the details that makes the difference.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Our stay was for three nights. We had high expectations, we were not disappointed. We stayed in room 1720, Royal Beach Club. It was wonderful. We had an amazing view over the adult pool and put-put course, ocean front. We saw whales and dolphins playing every morning from our balcony. Our room was very nice, just a couple hitches, .. we had 3 phones , the desk phone didnt work at all, the phone by the bed only worked from speaker phone and its cordless unit was inoperable, we never used the one in the bathroom. The water pressure fluctuates as does the hot water. But besides that our room was nice. The view was great, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious. We had both bath tub and shower . The shower is big and the tub has a window over it looking back to the bedroom. We had breakfast every morning at the Royal Beach Club lounge, the food was good and plentiful, the service was impeccable and the view was remarkable. We spent most of our time at the adult pool. The pool bar staff was attentive and friendly. The pina colodas were fantastic. The pool staff was very helpful. They provided beach towels and even brought an umbrella to our chairs. It is disturbing that some people have to get up at 6am to camp out their pool spot and not show back up till late morning or later. There needs to be a hotel pool policy regarding this. However, the pool staff was very helpful with chairs and umbrellas. We rented a car so we did not eat at the hotel restaurants much, we had a lunch at the pool bar, the ceviche was very good as was the cheeseburgers, We also had room service one night, Our food arrived promptly and was presented wonderfully by our waiter. We used the spa every morning. The spa staff was awesome. We purchased a 5 treatment package for $400, I got a hot stone treatment and a body wrap, my girlfriend recieved a swedish massage and body wrap as well as mani/pedi .. it was all excellent and a very good value. The $400 included unlimited spa use, set up fees and a 15% service fee. The mens locker room was very clean and very spacious, they have a steam room and a dry sauna. The hotel staff was very good, the bellman were great and greeted us with margaritas. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The grounds were spread out but we knew this before we book this hotel an therefore wasn't an issue to us. I will say they need a restroom closer to the pool bar. There is one by the kiddy pool at the restaurant. The closest one to the adult pool and pool bar is quite a hike, especially when the pina coladas reappear. All in all I would say this is an excellent resort. We enjoyed our stay very much and look forward to staying there again. Its remote location was especially appealing for us. I would recommend this hotel highly. We felt we received an excellent value and were extremely pleased.

Room Tip: Stay in Royal Beach Club. Its an excellent deal. Great breakfast and cocktails in the afternoon. Exc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your complete description about the room, F & B, SPA, facilities and the Staff, we have taken actions in the opportunity areas you mention (thank you for that!!) I am very happy to know you really enjoyed your stay with us and most importantly that you felt you received and excellent value… that has always been our main goal!! .

Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Ok, so this hotel tries but doesn't get it. When we travel we want to experience a feeling that we can only get during that vacation. Some memories that are created on our trips. This hotel does not deliver neither. It felt like we were in California. Lots of potential but the General Manager needs to make some immediate changes. If I was the owner of this property I would have my GM do the following ASAP:
1. NO more coffee paper cups in the pool area. Who wants their frozen margaritas served in a paper cup with an actual print of a steaming coffee cup and coffee beans by the pool? Order some nice white plastic cups with the Westin Cabo logo on them.
2. CHANGE THE MUSIC. People come to Mexico to experience MEXICO! If the gringos wanted to hear some tacky 90s music we can just go to Miami or California. Get some soothing tunes and change them as the day progresses. Upbeat on the day, and more soothing as the evening arrives.
3. WARM the rooms! Who thought of using high gloss paints inside the rooms? It makes the guest feel like they are staying in a huge bathroom! Get some softer flat paints and some more native art in the rooms! Remember, create an experience for the guest. We come to Mexico to feel like we are in Mexico!
4. REDO the menus. Your menu options are very unattractive and lazy. They lack personality and are very common. The dessert options are awful: Chocolate lava cake, cheesecake or apple pie for dessert? Are you kidding me? Ill just go to applebees next time! Get some churros, how about something with Cajeta or a tres leches? Remember Mexico experience!
5. Train the restaurant staff properly. To put someone in a server uniform, does not make that person a server. Training is essential in the hospitality industry! They have to try the food to recommend it! When we asked our servers about the food they couldnt answer cause they had not tried it!
6. Fruit juices from a box and instant coffee? Are you serious? I thought i was staying at the Westin not at the Holiday Inn. I understand all too good about food costs, but when you are charging what you are charging and in Mexico, you should have fresh fruit juices and very good quality coffee. You'll be surprised but guests remember things as such. "I remember that awesome coffee the Westin Cabo served, I cant wait to go back and have some more"
After staying at your hotel for 3 nights , all I remember was how little we were impressed with your hotel. It was sad, we had great expectations and your staff does try to deliver a good experience. Unfortunately their are changes that the Management has to do.
7. Your spa is a joke. As a beach resort your spa is very disappointing. The mens room smelled and the spanish shower was clogged and hardly worked.
8. Resort fees and internet fees??? Get with the program. In the condition your hotel is in, you should ad more value to your guest's stay and include these features at no cost.
This is an older hotel and it needs some upkeep. This area has been hit by the recession, but the changes above do not require capital investments, just some changes. I hope they take these advices as they come from someone that has been in the industry for a very long time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RonBoss
beat_meier, General Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for all your feedback, due to your comments I can clearly see that unfortunately you did not like our Hotel with an unique and spectacular architecture situated directly in front of the sea were most rooms have direct and beautiful sea view.

We have taken these comments serious and all issues which do apply to our operation have been addressed to our Executive Team in order to take corrective action.

We always listen to all our guest comments and we pay extra attention to their satisfaction & feedbacks, this is the reason our property has one of highest returning guests to Los Cabos (source: Trip Advisor reviews).

Allow me to clarify, just for your information as off May 2012 we will have finished our renovation in all rooms, and recently we renovated La Playa restaurant and the Royal Beach Club Lounge (just to mention a few examples), we are always keeping our resort in a good shape.

Even in difficult times with global recession, our property stayed focused with high spirit and commitment in order to offer quality service to all our guests.

Stay well,

Beat Meier
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Westin Los Cabos was an amazingly relaxing vacation for our family. The resort is beautifully built into the mountains. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool and beach, while the kids swam and built sandcastles. The kids made many new friends with the other families staying there. The breakfast buffet is out of this world delicious! We enjoyed whale watching each day. The weather was a perfect 80*F and a nice dry heat. We explored around San Jose and Los Cabos. We were glad we had chose to stay out of town in a more secluded area and have the option to go into town when we liked. We will definitely be returning to this resort!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ally13M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments about the pools and the breakfast, I am very happy to know you had a very good time with your family while you stayed with us. We will be very happy to welcome you all back again in the future.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Were recently in Los Cabos in March and had outstanding stay.
I must complement the staff (especially Edward Burgos, the reservations manager) for their excellent service. I was there on a promotional rate, and I was supposed to receive a gift (sunglasses) upon my arrival. Unfortunately, there was an omission and my gift was not there when I arrived. Mr Burgos spent approximately one hour with me at the front desk resolving the issue during the middle of the day AND then emailed me after I returned home with further information on my gift.
My entire stay was excellent, and I will return to this location when I come back to Los cabos in the future.

Room Tip: Beach Club Rooms were good value considering breakfast and evening ammenities.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jes9922
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding your last stay with us, Mr. Edward Burgos is very happy to know he could create such a nice memory in your vacations, the management team have congratulated him too!! Please let us know when you come back, we will be very happy to welcome you in your home away from home!!