“Diamond member staying for first and probably last time”

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I am writing this on the 4th day of our 6 day stay. I have to say I had high hopes for the hotel after reading so many great reviews. We stayed at the Westin in March 2011 and loved it but thought we would try the Hilton since we are Diamond members and have so many points to use up. Maybe that is the problem...we are staying here on points but it shouldn't mean you get second class treatment.
Let me summarize 1) no upgrades available at check in even though they still have them available on the Hilton website and I offered to pay for one when I received my comfirmation. So we got stuck on the second floor (2059) in the back mostly facing the resort next door. We listen to their generators and refrigeration units instead of the ocean at night. 2) the concierge was helpful but twice the reservations we made were not there when we went to check in. One was for tennis and one was for dinner. 3) no coffee pot in the room so you can't make tea or have a quick cup of coffee without waiting in line. 4) the process of reserving a place to sit by the pools is ridiculous. I am not up for getting up at 5 am to reserve a space so for 3 days we have been stuck sitting at a slant or almost behind the building 5) the web site says there are slippers provided...not true. 7) the sushi from the pool bar is supermarket grade at best. Really, I have had better from Safeway.

I can deal with all the kids. That is what you expect at this time of year but some of the rest of it I can't. The service is actually pretty good considering how busy this place is. If we had been given a decent room I think I could overlook some of the negatives but I am not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank John S
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thank you for taking time to review your stay and for your valuable feedback. I'm distressed to hear about the frustrating experiences you have had during your stay, and I hope you will allow me this opportunity to reply. I can assure you that our goal is that all guests receive the same level of superior service and that no guest receives "second class" service at our resort for any reason. As you likely noticed while reading our reviews, many of them reference our gracious and courteous customer service, and it's something we take pride in. I'm unable to explain the difficulties with your reservations, and can only say that this is not indicative of the guest experience we aim to deliver, and that I hope our concierge was able to assist you quickly and without complication. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me by requesting Tim Booth at Enjoy.LosCabos@Hilton.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,488)

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed at Hilton Los Cabos in May 2011 for my anniversary and we definitely had a great time there! As a diamond member, I was upgraded to a spacious suite, along with amenities.

The staff at this hotel always go above and beyond to satisfy my needs. During my 5-night stay, as picky as I am, I simply couldn't recall there is anything negative about the service and the benefits I received from this hotel.

Of all HHonors properties I've stayed (>500), this hotel is top notch and absolutely at top 1 percentile of HHonors portfolio.

In sum, I am stunned, extremely satisfied, and overwhelmed by this property, will definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Wende L
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you so much for this wonderful "better late than never" review and also for being a Hilton HHonors Diamond member. It is an honor to have you as our guest, especially for your anniversary vacation. We are thrilled to have such an experienced traveler set our resort apart as one of the very best. That's certainly what we strive for every day. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We can't say enough good things about the los cabos property! Our room location was excellent, perfect view, clean, beautiful decor. Every staff person we encountered across the board was friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed the room decorations for the birthday we were celebrating, was a very nice personal touch. The concierge service was really on point, extremely good with helping us book our excusions A+++. The way that check in was handled was very personal and again A+++. Loved the layout of the hotel, thought the bar area was gorgeous and very inviting. Swim bars were awesome, if the pool was a tad warmer I think we would have enjoyed these areas more.

We stayed at the property for 4 nights then moved into cabo to be closer to town.

The only negatives which would create pause for rebooking in the future were the following.

We stayed over the Christmas holiday, during that time we might choose a property that was a little more geared to couples as there were a lot of families with children during our stay. This would be fine except when it came to usage of some of the pool areas, we wished there had been designated adult/ kids areas when it came to the pools. There were kids unattended in the hot tubs & pools that made it difficult to enjoy.

Additionally another reason we decided to move to another property in town was there was no free shuttle service. I think that because the property is so isolated, if there were some type of free or low cost shuttle we would be more excited to stay. Instead each time we wanted to go into town it was costing us $60 round trip just to have dinner, which for 2 people is high.

We did enjoy and make use of on the last day the national car rental service that was located in the hotel and enjoyed the convenient location of this but again, knowing one has to drive back through the corridor at night hampers ones ability to enjoy a night out. Once again, providing some type of consistant free or lower cost shuttle van for guests at designated pick up and drop off times would really be a selling point for us on a return visit.

Overall however we really really enjoyed the resort and would absolutely stay there again!

Room Tip: We had a corner oceanview room which had the most amazing view! The only downside at all would be t...
2  Thank chromegoddess
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We are family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids. Hilton Honor Diamond member, stay in Hilton Cabos Dec25-28, room 2027.
- No welcome amenities for HH Diamond member, no room upgrade, no kids welcome amenities. Only continental breakfast for 2 adults.
- During our last day of breakfast. We were given outside table right under the sun. We did not realize how hot and uncomfortable it could be until we sat down. So when I saw there were few empty tables nearby, I just asked the waiter if we could switch the table. I asked at least twice at two different table, the answer I got from the waiter was "No". eventually I asked him, do you think is it possible we could change table, he told us "it is impossible". I gave up and complaint to the front hostess, she helped us to change table right away. But after we sat down in the new table, the new waiter keep rushing us to sign the bill, at least 3 times he stopped by our table to check if we signed the bill or not.
- When we made our reservation, only king size bed available, so I put in the comment and request section for 2 queen beds. When we checked in on the 25th, the front desk lady had no idea we need 2 queen beds room. She also told us all the 2 beds room are sold out Dec 25-28, but she will inform us if there is anything available. When I stayed in hotel, I can see about 25% rooms are vacant and when you search on their reservation website, 2 beds room still available. They just did not want to give to us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Emilie_Tang
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Thank you for your feedback and for spending your holiday family vacation with us. I'm very sorry to hear about the frustrating experiences you describe in your review. As I have said many times before, and as you can discover reading our past reviews, excellent customer service is the highest priority of our resort. Your experiences in the restaurant and at the front desk are not indicative of the service attitude we take pride in delivering to our guests every day. We will investigate both of these situations to ensure that every team member fulfills our promise of putting the guest first and doing our best to make any request a reality. If I can be of additional assistance or if you wish to discuss further, please contact me by requesting Tim Booth at Enjoy.LosCabos@Hilton.com. Thank you again for your review and for choosing our resort.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

I went here the week before Christmas for 7 days / 6 nights for my wedding anniversary with my wife. After doing tons of research on where to stay and debating between resorts like Riu, Pueblo Bonito, etc. I felt the Hilton offered the best combination of amenities, affordability and service.

Upon my request, the hotel changed my room to a higher floor suite, and considering it was my anniversary, a compliementary treat awaited me on arrival. It was a very good bottle of wine accompanied with an assortment of cheeses. It was a wonderful surprise, and I'm so glad they didn't do anything tacky like heart-shaped balloons, etc.

The room was splendid. Very comfortable, spacious, with all the amenities you would expect, including iron, fridge/mini-bar, satellite TV with HBO channels, multiple phones, sofas, dresser, baloconi with seating, a comfortable bed, two sink bathroom with a tub, a spacious shower, etc. We loved spending time in our room.

The pools are spectacular. Two separate pools, one that is by the beach an in the center of the resort, and one secluded dolphin pool on the left side of the resort. The resort also has two jacuzzis, one which is very large, enough for 20 adults.

The food at the resort was very good. From sushi (i know, i found it strange, but it was some of the best sushi i've had), to pizza and burgers, to mexican, to italian... you have plenty of options. And the hotel has plenty of full-service bars throughout the property including the beach, that serve excellent cocktails. Food is typically $15-20 per entree poolside. The two restaurants and the bar offer different entrees that can be more. But we found the food to be similar in price to what you would pay in the states, and we were satisfied as overall, it was very tasty and there was a large variety.

This resort is not any busier than others. Do not confuse chairs with a towel on them as being occupied. The staff lays out towels for all guests... so unless there is any personal item on a chair, it is not reserved and free to use. The cabans are amazing, but yes, you do have to get up early to get one.

The service at this hotel is amazing... the staff literally goes out of its way all the time to please you. And they do not rest until you are happy. Every experience I had left me in awe of the level of service you receive at this resort.

Considering its Christams, you can expect more families and kids around the pool, but the resort is big enough for everyone to have some space.

This resort is a true gem, and no wonder many of the people we met there were return travelers. It is between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas, and is a drive to either town... but the bus is right outside the hotel, and is cheap and safe. Cabs are readily availabe as well. But the location is splendid as you have a beach that you can actually use, and you are away from all the hustle and bustle of the main towns. Plus, we only left the resort for one day, as we were so happy to just spend our time at the resort. And in case you want to book any excursions, all supply transportation to and from the hotel.

Lastly, the gym was great and the best thing of all was readily available wifi throughout the property. I could be at the pool watching movies on my iPad, or in my room, or at a restaurant... the wifi is amazing and its very easy to log on.

This is a true gem in the Hilton collection. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The hotel is 6 floors. The lobby is on the 3rd floor. The pools are on the 1st floor. The 1st floo...
5  Thank amchuu
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I am writing this review while I am sitting next to the pool... we have 3 more days here until we check out. I wanted to write this review while this is fresh in my mind....

So, my husband and I are newlyweds and wanted to celebrate our anniversary. Now, as you can tell by the title of my review we are diamond hilton members. So, naturally, we try to stay at Hilton hotels to continue our patronage. And we stayed here about 2 years ago during the 4th of July and that trip was great, so we decided to return....

Fastforward to present day: this Hilton definitely turned into a family hotel. Literally, every group here has at least one child... babies, young children, teenagers... every kind. I love children but when I'm laying out by the pool, it really gets aggravating when little kids are screaming while swimming or they're throwing footballs/soccerballs and yelling "heads up". Or when I am trying to enjoy my breakfast, little kids running through the restaurant and running a muck is a little much. And the hottubs are taken over by all the tweens. I think it's even more family/children rampant because it is the holidays and families are getting together for their annual x-mas get together.

Another wonderful added side benefit of some may families and kids - I had to wake up today at 7 AM and come down to try and get some chairs by the pool because people wake up so bloody early and "reserve" their chairs. It was a struggle to find chairs to lay out in yesterday afternoon at 1 PM. So today, I did the deed and woke up early. When i got down here, there were people taking over 5 chairs at a time for their entire family... laying out their towels and mags. and it's 11 AM now...as i am sitting here right now looking out, the chairs are more than 70% empty... no people, just their towels to hold their chairs.

Unless you have children, I really wouldnt recommend staying here. Even as a diamond member, I would forgo getting points and the perks and go somewhere else. It is not the hotel's fault... the staff is really nice, the property is well kept up, and the rooms are good. But there are way too many little kids running around. But their demographic has turned into a family hotel... no longer appropriate for young adults without kids.

FYI - as a diamond member, we did not receive an upgrade or any type of HH welcome gift (as we typically are accustomed to). You do get breakfast vouchers though.. and breakfast is decent. But at over $500/night... we definitely wish we went somewhere else... even if we had to pay extra. I don't think we'll be back until we have children...

11  Thank supah_sug
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2011

Thank you for your comments and for spending your holiday and anniversary vacation with us. It is an honor and our pleasure to have you with us. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with your stay. The holidays and around Easter are traditional family travel times for us , so we do tend to have many more children than usual at the resort. For this reason, we also feature additional family activities at these times. However as you hopefully discovered on your previous visit, our resort offers a calm and relaxing atmosphere, and our staff is dedicated to making your vacation the best it can be. If you should return anytime outside of the holiday and Easter seasons, I think you will discover that we are still the resort you came to love, if not even better. Thank you so much for your feedback, and I do hope we see you again. If I can be of additional assistance or if you wish to discuss further, please contact me by requesting Tim Booth at Enjoy.LosCabos@Hilton.com. Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

We spent a pleasant 10 days at the Hilton Los Cabos Beach and Golf resort mid November 2011. The weather was great and the hotel was just what we needed.Our room was upgraded and we had a ground floor room with its own terrace and garden overlooking the sea. I wouldn't say the rooms were opulent, or that they were even great, but they were clean, comfortable and had everything you needed.

I don't particularly care for Italian food, so as there are only 2 actual restaurants for the evenings, I personally found the menu a bit repetetive, but others may disagree, as the Italian was very popular with guests. The other restaurant served Mexican food and it was very good, with nothing being to much trouble for the staff. There is a daily poolside restauraunt and bar, and that seemed busy, and the food was good.

They have a lovely infinity edge pool, and its great to lay round on the pleasant loungers. Jorge, on the Pool Concierge desk was great, always ready with towels, bookes, ice lollies and smiles!

This resort is small when compared to many of the Mexican resorts, but in many ways, thats what makes it special. There is no organized entertainment, no organized daily activities and no evening theatre or other entertainment, so if thts what you want, go elsewhere! If on the other hand you are looking for a quite break with excelent service in a hotel where the staff make you feel special, then go here!

Room Tip: All the rooms have sea views, but some at either end of the blocks face the sea, but these are Hilto...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple