“Room without a view - Careful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Calgary, Canada
“Room without a view - Careful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Arrived at hotel. Curb appeal - to be desired. No lobby to impress so I was cautious on what I might expect once inside. To my delight the rooms were wonderful. I did find the light was awful and part of this came from having a room that did not have a great view. We had a peek a boo view at the back pool and with such lush ground the foliage also keep light from entering. Disappointed that we were tucked in the back however I did see rooms that the view was over the parking lot/ Lobby and NO view of pool or water. So be very aware.
Hotel was booked solid however you would never know as the pools are very large (3 of them with 2 hot tubs) the pool chairs Comfy and CLEAN - Every night, the covers removed and laundered. They had great patio pods so if travelling with small children or if you wanted so shade you could head down early and grab one. I used one to do computer work at pool. Internet free at pool however in rooms not so go I actually had to work on balcony and reception was SLOW!.
San Jose was great - artsy so if there make sure you take in Thursday evening Art walk. We loved it. There is a MEGA food store a walk away 10 minutes and get a cab back with your bags $5. There is shopping a resort as well with limited items. The cafe/internet has great baking and gelato.
This is a time share spot so be prepared for the concierge request to attend breakfast. We passes as we already have time share week.
This place is perfect for a wedding - even a chapel with a view to die for.
PS GREAT BEDS!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room in section 5-7. We were in 6202 (section 6) and it was tucked in the back...
4 Thank Jacquelinemcgr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just returned from a week at the Cabo Azul in San Jose del Cabo. I waited 3 years to get an exchange on my Interval International program based on reviews I had read- good thing- I could never afford this resort otherwise! This Monarch property is lovely, the grounds and pools are top notch. The one bedroom Villa we had was massive in size and had every amenity you could possibly want- including a full fridge, convection microwave, dishwasher, and blender. Unfortunately, the lighting in the unit was extremely poor. I would be concerned for elderly or persons with sight issues. I had difficulty even putting on make-up and I travel with a magnifying mirror. At check-in, the concierge pushes hard to get you to attend a "sales presentation"- but they do offer good compensation for your time and the sales pitch wasn't too high pressure although they do come back with 3-4 "new" bonus offers. I found the service around the pool area great if you are an owner, family or couple- but as two gals travelling- we were virtually ignores- even though we tipped well when served. This was not the case anywhere else on the resort. They offer some group activities through the week. We attended the Beach Party on Monday night and had a blast. The music and food were great- a real bargain for $40 (drinks included). That said- everything else on the resort is quite pricey- especially for Mexico. We ate breakfast in our villa (Megamart a 5 minute walk) and walked to a wide variety of restaraunts for lunch/dinner. A $5 cab ride takes you anywhere in the san jose area. Although this resort is lovely- I believe that I still prefer the Casa Natalia that we have stayed at twice now (including our first 2 nights this year). The only advantage at the Azul is the beachfront.

Room Tip: All current villas have an ocean front or garden view. The new addition (Diamond Resorts-same proper...
8 Thank prariegal
Downey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This resort is by far one of the most beautiful I have ever visited. I was there in 03/12 for 5 days, 4 nights. The Hotel decor is stunning! The rooms are beautifully decorated the lighting is dim but I did not mind as it sets a relaxing mood. The food at all resort restaurants and cafe's is delicious. The Spa is amazing I had the best massage ever there. World Class service- the staff was great very attentive to all their guests they will get you whatever you need. I am looking forward to my next visit here because I will be definitely returning. It is a bit pricey but so worth every penny or should I say peso!

Room Tip: All rooms are great- ocean view is the best!
2 Thank lissethg103
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Cabo is not my first choice when traveling to Mexico- I find it too American and detest the chronic timeshare harassment. That said, I have been to Cabo Azul twice in the last 5 years and enjoyed both stays tremendously. We stayed in the 3 bedroom penthouse suite both times, but the 1 and 2 bedrooms are equally beautiful. The property is spectacular and the service impeccable. The rooms are Mexican designer chic and the beds are luxurious! My complaint about the rooms is that the kitchens are not equipped very well at all for cooking. Every hotel suite with a kitchen seems to have difficulty supplying sharp knives and a decent cutting board, and Cabo Azul is no exception. Our first day here we bought a sharp knife and a cheap citrus juicer at the Mega super mercado to get through the week.
Cabo Azul is located along the hotel zone in San Jose, but it is still walking distance to town. The beach here is stunning, but unfortunately too hazardous to swim in due to the rip current. You really won't miss it too much though, the three cascading pools are plenty refreshing and incredibly picturesque. My favorite is to lay on the deluxe lounges on the beach (the trinket hawkers don't cross onto the property!), then swim in the pool to refresh. The best of both worlds!

Room Tip: Rooms that face east get the bright morning light, west get the late afternoon sun so pick the one t...
1 Thank CarrsPDX
Salinas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

It wouldn't be fair to refer to Monarch Grand Vacations' Cabo Azul as a mixed bag, because it's great in so many ways. The staff is one of the friendliest, best-trained and accommodating that Judy and I have ever encountered. They make you want to move in permanently. And the food served by the poolside restaurant is innovative, fairly priced and delicious (the empanadas are without parallel, in my view). There are three infinity pools just above the beach...warm, lukewarm and cool...and a challenge to enter or exit (no railings anywhere, slick surfaces around the edges, and if you're middle-aged or older you'll need help -- likewise in your shower, expect slick surfaces, so be ready to grab on). As for the bedding, it's often queen-sized and the beds are king-sized, the pillows are big but not firm (and seem to be filled with tennis-ball-sized lumps which make it hard to find a comfortable spot).

In spite of our criticisms, we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Choose a "pool view" unit on an upper floor if you can.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank palshaw
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

100% as advertized. quiet, fun, perfect get away. Spent a week there in early march. we loved it.

2 Thank travelinman-tor
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visited Cabo Azul recently, and I have to say I fell in love! What an amazing resort - the attention to detail, the cleanliness, and the staff were all outstanding. We at at Jaivar's (great dinner), we went to the spa (beautiful), and we used the gym (well stocked and easy to access). This is a very special resort - the current owners (Monarch) recently sold to Diamond property (based in Las Vegas) and they apparently will be taking over in April 2012. I don't know how that is going to affect the quality of the resort or the attention to detail, but I have to say....it was the staff who made the trip what it was and should be rewarded accordingly. While there, the resort was constantly being trimmed, dusted, cleaned, and straightened....the pool area (and beach area) is spacious, comfortable, and felt empty even while it was at 80% occupany rate!

Room Tip: DO NOT get a garden view....your experience will not be as great....get one on the pool side and if...
1 Thank kay G
#7 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,142 reviews
10.2 km away
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,808 reviews
9.3 km away
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#5 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
28.6 km away
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
9.6 km away
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#1 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!