“Resort is a delight for those seeking serenity” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Colorado Springs
“Resort is a delight for those seeking serenity”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We just got back from a one-week stay in a studio during spring break with my wife and 15-year-old son, and it was lovely.

Although our room was cramped (and we looked at a $30 a day upgrade to a one bedroom but it wasn't much better,) it's probably more conveniently situated on the beach than any place we've stayed. There are giant mega resorts where you have to take a golf course to get to the pool or beach. The beach was only 30 steps from our patio. The nice pool a few more.

As others have pointed out, this is a quiet resort, and although our son would have liked to have to few more teens to hang with, he ended up having as much fun as we did. I should point out that he did have a near-death experience body surfing. He and another family got too far out and the rip tides starting pulling them out. Fortunately, some folks on the shore helped them swim through it. (swim with the current parallel to the shore.)

It's interesting that this resort is now called the Bel Air Collection. It feels more like a collection of places to stay than a unified resort. There's an old building currently be renovated. A new building that looks much different. A bunch of common buildings and restaurants built as palapas. A few buildings on the other side that are private residences (the orange ones.)

To combat the disjointed nature of the resort, the owners have bent over backwards to create a sense of comfort and luxury. The grounds are extremely well maintained. You're welcomed with champagne. Every morning (before 7 a.m.) there's free coffee, juice and pastries. Every day before sunset there's free champagne, cookies, tea and coffee.

OTHER STUFF:
Time share pressure: I'd put it at a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. They asked a couple of times if we were interested in a free breakfast but quickly dropped it when we said we weren't interested.

(Although my wife swore she'd never sit through another timeshare pitch, we did do the Grand Mayan, where we got about $400 in cash and free stuff ... and said no. It really was only about 90 minutes. The Bel Air doesn't have their budget, so you just get discounted excursions and a breakfast for doing the tour.)

WHERE TO EAT: Sardina's has great fish tacos. The Hangman (in town) has terrific array of cheap tacos in a tremendously fun and funky atmosphere. Manuel's Creative Cruisine is among the finer edgy upscale places -- expensive but worth it. Flora Farms may be the best farm-to-table experiment on the planet. Certainly worth a trip.

WHAT TO DO:
- I highly recommend renting a car. Booked ahead of time online, we paid about $200 for a whole week. Just taxi fares into town and to and from the airport would have cost more than that.
- Snorkel. Chileno, just seven miles up the road (toward Cabo San Lucas), is very good, nice variety of fish. But if you're serious about diving or snorkeling, you'll want to go to Cabo Pulmo, a marine sanctuary on the southern tip of the peninsula that's home to the only living reef on the Sea of Cortez. It's hard to get to, as there are no paved roads that go the whole way. You might consider a boat tour from the San Jose Del Cabo port. We took the long way around, past the airport and around the other side of the peninsula. The last 7 miles of washboard road were not fun. The reefs there were amazing through. I freaked out when I saw a 6-foot shark. But a regular told me it's just a reef shark. They don't eat tourists.
- Do the art walk. Thursday night. It was big a few years ago when we visited, and it's even bigger now. Drink tequila or wine as you walk with the crowds from one gallery to another.
- Do the ATV tour. The 15-year-old (and dad) loved jumping over dunes on a far-away deserted beach.
- Whale watch. We saw a couple of humpback breaching on an excursion from Cabo San Lucas. But they're definitely moving on. Nobody was seeing them from the resort the week we stayed.

---- Book online.
We got an amazing deal through our vacation club: Ultimate Vacations: $450 for the week. Hard to beat that.

2 Thank ManitouWarren1
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Your wonderful comments will be passed on to our team. We strive to provide each guest with an exceptional resort experience, and they will be thrilled to know their efforts were recognized.

We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and look forward to welcoming you back to Bel Air Los Cabos soon.

Hasta Pronto !!!

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Let me first start by saying that we did as much research as possible before booking this hotel and took everyone's advice by requesting an ocean front room. Let me rephrase that we BOOKED a "ONE BEDROOM OCEANFRONT" room through American Airlines vacations but I still wanted to make sure that we did ocean view in the new building which is why we emailed the hotel asking for this as well-- they replied by saying this was only a "request". We got to the hotel and asked if our room would be in the new building and the front desk agent said that these were not available but that we would be "upgraded" to a 2 bedroom suite in the old building next to the highway. The old building really needs some improvements and it would be ok. I had a chance to visit a room in the new building and its just not fair for someone to pay the same thing and have to be in cheaper rooms.

We took the all-inclusive option and the guy at the front desk didnt seem to have any idea that we had paid for this option so we had to circle it and show him. The food at the restaurants were pretty good- especially the breakfast. As someone else mentioned the service was awfully slow primarily due to under-staffing in the morning and just slow for no reason at night (our sushi roll at the sushi place took over an hour). CHRIS did a great job in the morning serving our party of 5 but there was just too much demand for him. We had to ask for water and coffee twice to get it and would need to repeat things for them to finally bring them. It would make so much more sense for the management there to appoint someone just for the drinks-have someone taking orders- and another person handling the food carrying duties. The restaurants were pretty disorganized to say the least.

The drinks were pretty good at the hotel expect that they barely poured any alcohol in the mixed drinks. There was one server by the pool who did act kinda rudely toward us on the first day (im assuming its because he realized we had done the all inclusive and didnt think we were going to tip him- which of course was not the case) but after that he was nice.

The hotel is pretty far from central Cabo (about a 30 minute drive in our car rental) but very close to the airport (about 10-15 minutes). The grounds are well kept and the hotel does have good potential once fully finished. One of our favorite things to do was to sit on the beach furniture outside which is probably one of the most comfortable beach furniture I have sat on.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone who is looking to be far from Cabo and just relax.. as someone else said defiantly not in the middle of the Cabo action. I would recommend you NOT doing the all-inclusive and trying out the MANY restaurants of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

Room Tip: Ask for new building- do not do all inclusive
3 Thank fmiqueo
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you did not experience the levels of service to which our guests have become accustomed. We will use your comments during our next training session to stress the importance of not only our guest interaction but our follow-through. Our staff is committed to providing the best experience possible for our guests, and I hope you return so we have another opportunity to serve you.

We hope you return to Bel Air resort & Spa again and provide us another opportunity to show you the exceptional service and experience our guests have grown to expect.

Sincerely.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We just got back from an incredible stay at Bel Air Collection in Los Cabos.

When we arrived at check in we were greeted with glasses of champagne. We upgraded our room for a small fee upon arrival (DEFINATELY worth the small fee - would highly recommend) and ended up in a beautiful ocean front 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen, dining area, living room and three bathrooms. Both bedrooms had their own small kitchen areas as well. They were all brand new, spacious and very clean.

The staff at Bel Air was extremely friendly, informative and helpful...always going above and beyond to help us out. The beach area and pools were gorgeous..great views and horseback riding .if you're looking for a relaxing vacation this is the place to be. Not crowded and far enough from downtown cabos san lucas to relax, but an easy 20 minute cab ride to all the action.

Hope to get back to this resort again and would definately recommend.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank sue c
Dear Sue:

We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and look forward to welcoming you back to Bel Air soon.

Palmetto, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We booked a two (2) week stay at this resort. They closed the main pool the day before we got there....so the lovely pool facing the ocean was closed our entire trip....it would have been nice to have that information prior to our arrival and the option to make other arrangements. I understand that they were working on things that have been neglected for years, but that was not our fault. There were several other "problems" I had called and asked if there were laundry facilites at the resort for guest use and told there were....So I took one weeks worth of clothing and plans to wash....I was informed that the laundry facilites were only for the building that they rented out to the locals, not for the time-share guests to use as they "had a schedule" for washing....after much complaining they did our laundry for free (which I really did appreciate). We booked several trips with the assistance of the resort staff, and had some serious problems with the trips.....the first one picked us up and then tried to charge us twice the price, another one had us go to the marina and then just didn't show up and we were stranded in the middle of nowhere basically...thank god for cell phones or we might still be there. The restaurant for breakfast was great, and lunch was even pretty good (I paid extra for the all inclusive) they claim they have two restaurants (NOT TRUE) ....IF i CANT STAND IN FRONT THE BUILDING FOR LUNCH AND/OR DINNER AND CHOOSE WHICH RESTAURANT I WANT TO GO TO.....YOU DON'T HAVE TWO RESTAURANTS.....they alternate....breakfast and lunch at one, and then you go upstairs for dinner....very limited menu for dinner and one day a week, dinner downstairs.....not a good choice for two weeks....believe me. The wait staff at the restaurant was wonderful. So we would go to the pool that sat between the two buildings, and look at two buildings all day, the towels were scarse and when I complained, this guy comes out, takes dirty towels out of the baskets, folds them up and hands me a towel......eww.....when I complained they did try to do better, but yuck. I really liked Esparanza she tried very had to make things right and even planned a romantic dinner for my husband and I on the beach. Our room was adequate, not spectacular, They had allot of construction going on the entire visit - which is needed, but should have warned us and given us the option of going elsewhere .....not very relaxing. The pool we had access to was a hike to get to, there are no pool activities, no entertainment of any kind - the resort advertised pool aerobics but they did not do this once while we were there. The facility did have a massage service and that was very nice (had my first massage and loved it). Also, the beach is beautiful to look at, but you can not go into the water.... very bad undertow in this area. We will NEVER go back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments, and your visit in October 2011. As you mention, we were making much needed renovations at the time of your visit, and we regret that your visit coincided with those labors; of course, should you decide to visit us this year, you will be able to enjoy the benefits of these renovations. Today, the main pool is completely up to speed, including the 2 hot jaccuzzis. Our restaurants are the Dolce Mexico (dinner) and Palm Terrace (breakfast, lunch, and theme night dinners), in addition to our Sushi and Martini Bar by Náutica and our Pool Bar, which offer continuous F & B from 6 am to 11 pm; we have also implemented Room Service, which will very soon extend around the clock. As with many small hotels, there are still some renovation plans. The one closest to begin is our Main Lobby, which is planned to include Business Center, Minimarket and Laundromat for your convenience.

I’m positive that, should you decide to visit us again, you will agree that improvements in quality throughout the property, as well as staff, have greatly increased the possibility of a great vacation! We have spent a lot of time since your visit in October 2011 in renewing, refurbishing, retraining and replacing many of our weaker links, so that our property and service meets Bel Air Collection standards.

Best Regards.

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa

Travellers are raving about these San Jose del Cabo hotels

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed in the new building, facing the sea. Fell asleep and woke up to the LOUD waves. Loved it. Loved the whale sightings, the jumping fish and the beautiful sunrise/sunsets - from the balcony and the beach. The hotel is so clean. The people are fantastic, gracious and helpful. The beach grounds have an assortment of lounge chairs, " day beds" and umbrellas. 2 pools to choose from. We preferred the 'big' pool seaside. The sea is not swimmable. We had a studio condo with 2 beds, a 2 burner hot plate, microwave and fridge. A walk to the Mega store (a cross between Wal-Mart and Costco) was along the super scary highway but very easy to get to. There is an currency exchange place, starbucks, gelato and a mcdonalds at the Mega mall. The hotel food is good, but expensive and the service is slow. I learned that you have to ask for the bill, it is viewed as rude to simply bring the bill. The clearing of the check could be faster. Tip the staff - it goes a long way to improving your experience. We took the "transit" into Cabo and then to the airport. You do not need a shuttle or a taxi for most things. The bus is excellent value and super easy to navigate. Just ASK for the best routes etc from the hotel staff. We did attend a timeshare presentation at the hotel. However, I made it clear from the beginning I was not buying and we ended up having a really enjoyable breakfast and conversation with our presentor. There was the inevitable pitch but no was no and they were still friendly afterwards. I did not feel as if I was being 'hunted' for a purchase.

The worst part of the trip was arriving at the airport and being assaulted by the timeshare people. RUN thru the first exit area, once you find the pavement outside the terminal - look for the shuttle signs, buy your ticket and go. If you are more adventureous, run past all of it, find Terminal #1 and outside of terminal 1 look for the city bus stop on the main road.

I enjoyed the hotel and the experience but I prefer a more humid climate. I grew tired of the timeshare assaults - everywhere - and I was ready to leave. But this hotel was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Get a seaside room. Tip the staff. All the staff.
2 Thank xyz693
BelairCabos, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear guest,

I just want to thank you for the wonderful review that you dedicated to Bel Air resort & Spa. It was our pleasure to have you here and would love to host you again on your next trip.

We truly appreciate the observations that you shared with us; comments such as yours encourage us to improve on a daily basis. We will be working diligently and in the mean time would like to invite you to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to meet your expectations.

And remember that in your home away from home one of our main goals is to pamper you and spoil you to the point that you feel that you don’t want to leave anymore.

Regards,

Bel Air Resort & Spa los Cabos
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We have been going to this resort every year since 2007. Last year it changed ownership and is now known as BelAir Hotel and Resort. We were quite disappointed to see they had replaced the sofa bed with a king size bed in the living room. Our one bedroom suite now has two king size beds in it so they can lock it off into two seperate bedrooms for more revenue. In fact, our first night of a two week stay we had to stay in the "A" bedroom until the entire suite was available the next day. They also removed some of the furniture and installed flat screen TV's. The DVD player now sits on a utility shelf you would find in your garage or basement with wires hanging across the wall. Why not just get flatscreens with built in DVD players?

Having shared that, if I had never been there before and seen "what was", for the most part I would have been satisfied. The new ownership is improving the facility overall. The restaurants are open again (although service is SLOW) and the grounds are looking nicer. There are guest hospitality gatherings morning, afternoon and evening around a fire pit vitially right on the beach. You will not stay at very many resorts this close to the waterfront. The setting is beautiful and restful. This year we saw whales breaking the surface less than 100 yards of the shoreline. Ameneties in the proximate area are plentiful. Next year we plan to double our stay to four weeks.

Room Tip: There are two buildings (soon to be four). The "new" building offers the best views of the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Getme0uttaOhi0
As General Manager of Bel Air Resort & Spa, I really appreciate my client’s observations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experiences about your resent stay.

Your oppinion gives us the occasion to situate our areas of improvement and work upon them. Have the certainty that we will continue improving our facilities and generate some adjustments to please our guest’s tastes and wishes.

Thank you again for the time you took to present your journey experiences. We hope to see you back soon in your home away from home to pamper you.

Hasta Pronto!!

Bel Air Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Bentonville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a great time. The resort is nice and clean, right on the beach (which was not crowded). We did not eat at the resort's restaurants as we kept seeing others that we wanted to try. Cantina Sardina was our favorite and it is within walking distance of Bel Air. Zipper's was very good and is a short walk along the beach to the south. There was coffee, juice and pastries and sometimes fruit in the mornings if you got up early (started at 6 am). At 5 pm, there was champagne, tea and cookies. All of this was free, even if you did not go the all inclusive route. The odd thing was that sometimes there were 30 people or so and they would only bring out 2 bottles of champagne and sometimes they brought more and sometimes, they didn't. Another hint about this...make sure that you fly into San Jose del Cabo as opposed to Cabo San Lucas. And, be prepared to face hoards of time share sales people when you first exit the airport. We were told that we should have arranged our taxi before ever leaving home. Next time, we'll definitely schedule the taxi in advance!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JazzFestTraveler
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts in this forum. We really appreciate your participation.

We feel flattered for the fact that your experience at Bel Air Resort & Spa was worth it minutes of your valuable time to share your experiences.

We are very happy to know that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed our service.

Hasta Pronto !!!