New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Canada
“LOVED IT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at The Grand Mayan Los Cabos Jan/Feb/12. It is a beautiful very well maintained resort. It is smaller then other Grand Mayans but very intimate with beautiful balconies and kitchens. The beach is excellent and better than any beach we have been to on the Mexican west coast. I is not a party type hotel but is designed for relaxation. I know it is difficult to get a reservation here. Fortunately we are Vida members and can book 12 months in advance.
You would never be disappointed. San Jose Del Cabo is a trendy and enjoyable, clean tourist town with good restaurants and fun shopping. Desert location so it cools off at night.
We LOVE it here!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with afternoon sun are the best choice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Westbank2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We traded into this property throu our Registry Collection timeshare membership. We stayed in a two bedroom suite, which included a living room, kitchen and balcony with plunge pool. The entire resort was immaculately kept; the food was terrific (but expensive as expected), the service was superb. The rooms were large, comfortable and modern. The pools were a little cold this time of year, but not bad. Really have to applaud the activities team at this small resort. They worked tirelessly to engage guests and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. Highly recommend the PeriQ restaurant and the Mexican Fiesta (runs 1x week). As I said, the food was great... And the service and wait staff could match any 5 star. We didn't adventure out to town this visit and stayed on resort the entire time, which says a lot for our experience. The gym is small, but nice and worth using. Wish I got around to using the spa. Def next time. If you play tennis or golf, those amenities are a short $5 cab ride away. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank mmahoney
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Pros
Grounds: Spectacular, well maintained, very tropical and zen
Staff: Professional, efficient, polite, several exceptional will know your name within 2 days
Room: Spacious, clean, jacuzzi tub, 2 sinks, stand alone shower, patio w chairs and table, 1st floor is convenient to get to pool
Food: Convenient
Pools: Spacious, beautiful, not crowded
$$ You can exchange your money right at the hotel

TIP*Spa: Wonderful, relaxing, more than overpriced - however you may use the sauna, hot tub, etc without a service AND this is a better place to spend $100 instead of checking out late. You can store your luggage with the hotel and stay at the spa if you have an afternoon departure.

Cons
Late check out: ANYTHING after 10 am is considered late and they make you sign something saying you accept $100 charge if you don't check out by then.

Front desk: Will look you in the eye and insist you can not change rooms due to full capacity, I tried 3 different people. This is evident that is not true, and I spoke with other staff that remain anonymous. Blocks of rooms were dark and empty the entire week I was there, and you will see this repeated elsewhere in reviews. Why they will not offer a better room that is sitting empty to improve your experience is beyond me. I specifically asked for a room on a higher floor based on reviews I read. I, like others, was stuck on the first floor. No fridge, microwave or coffee maker and the walls are so paper thin we could hear coughing till 4 am, complete conversations, and all tv programs!

Pool: Not heated, very very cold, only 1 of the 4 hot tubs heated which is where everyone's children gathered. Only youngest kids brave the pool, a few adults on the hottest days. The in pool lounge chairs at edge of the infinity pool are shallow enough to be refreshing, but not comfortable enough to stay long.

Food: OUTRAGEOUS pricing. Spoke with a time sharer who has been going to Grand Mayan for 8 yrs, said it is TRIPLE the price from last may until now. Breakfast buffet is $25 US, a happy hour drink was $17. Got my first sticker shock on day one when bill came to sign, we had an appetizer and 2 happy hour drinks it was about $70 US. If you are lucky enough to have a kitchen, use it or venture out much as you can. They take full advantage of captive audience and food is only average. We went to Habenaro's several times, it was exceptional, Staff is awesome, full meal, with appetizers, drinks and dessert for two was $52 US. Huge difference. They give coupons out every time too for your next visit.

Bill: They will not take cash or your card anywhere on the resort, you have to charge everything to your room like a cruise. An 18% gratuity is automatically added, as well as leaving space for even more tipping. I highly suggest you stop at the desk a day or two before you check out to review your bill. I just kept my receipts in the hotel envelope.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Stephylee
Star, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We recently purchased a time share at the Mayan. With a family of six, we were staying at the Playa Grande in Los Cabos. Our story begins with the assault at the airport by rogue wolves working for the hotels. After being greeted by a man wearing a Playa Grande Resort polo shirt, we accepted his multiple offers of family oriented activities which we thought were part of the Playa Grande Resort welcome package. He even stated that he was there as an agent of the Playa Grande, even looking up our reservation and summoning our car rental, (what a great scammer!) He conducted all his business inside the terminal in front of the police and airport agents, why not think it's legitimate? On to the best part. So we checked in and the Playa Grande and underwent an interrogation about speaking with any Mayan employees. They we described as "liars, crooks and not trust worthy, they will steal your money and not show up for their meetings. Contrary to what we were told, the Mayan picked us up on time, fed my family breakfast, provided free entertainment for the children, arts and crafts, pool, toys.... While my wife and I attended the sales pitch. After a lengthy meeting, my wife and I did the math and the details made good financial sense for us. Family of 6, travel 2-3 times a year and we love Baja and its people. My hat is off to Lucindo (cabana waiter) and Angie (sales) for taking great care of my family, the most important thing to me. During the purchase, the Mayan was unable to provide a room as a transfer, but did extend all courtesies of the resort as "Owners". One of the most important things was the fact that the staff addressed us by name after only meeting us once. The next day we were greeted with a "Good morning Señor Rivas, nice to see you back with us again!" by all of the staff, from the entertainment concierge (Oscar) to the food staff and sales, Now that's service. We look forward to visiting each Mayan Resort! What a fun time! Email me if you have any questions. I am not a salesman, just a father making memories with his family. Idahobluechild@gmail.com

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank idahobluechild
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I recently spent the week at the Grand Mayan. The resort was truly beautiful. The grounds, the lobby, the pools, everything! There was staff working day and night to make sure everything was perfect. The attention to detail was impressive. I even noticed someone making sure all the decorative rocks were placed correctly each night.
We had a one bedroom suite, it was so nice! I've read a few other reviews on here about the the bed being uncomfortable but I think that's all a matter of preference. I had a restful night sleep each and every night, no complaints!
Not all of the pools were heated but I didn't mind. For the most part, I just went in the ones that were. The wait staff around the pool were always so friendly and helpful. I was surprised how one of them even remembered my name after the first day!
We did not do a timeshare presentation as we'd heard and read about all of the horror stories associated with this resort in particular but all we had to do was tell them no the first day (albeit, it took a few times for them to hear me) and then we weren't bothered again.
San Jose del Cabo is a beautiful little town with tons of charm. We enjoyed it, although we'll likely stay in Cabo San Lucas on our next visit - just a little more to do.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Mayan and don't have any real complaints.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cjnevins
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

While I originally thought the Grand Mayan would be incredible as the website pictures showed, it was average. The hotel looks good throughout, but signs of poor construction and age are showing. Awnings are falling, water features not working properly, our balcony pool did not work for a few days, etc...

The Pros: Secluded in Los Cabos and isolated from masses of people you may find in Cabo. The resort is spread out and the pools are large so you could more or less hide if you did not want to be bothered. The rooms are nice and fairly spacious compared to a normal hotel room. There is plenty of room to sleep people with the trundle beds under the couches. It's near San Jose, a nice little walkable town with plenty of food options and only a $5-$10 cab ride away.

The Cons: Pool staff service is pretty slow. It can take awhile to get a drink. I'm not sure if it is because the pool area is so large and spread out, or if it was just our server (the same everyday). We had the same problem when eating at the pool restaurant as well. Not close to a lot. There is plenty of development going on in the area, so I may be wrong in time, but The Grand Mayan is one of a row of hotels. Not too many people leaving their hotels or really walking the beach because there isn't a whole lot to do there and the ocean is off limits due to rip currents and large waves. THE PRICES: All of the food and drink was significantly over priced due to the 'captive audience' and lack of options nearby. This was significant compared to hotels I have stayed at in Cabo.

If you have no other options, this will due fine, but if you can go somewhere else in Los Cabos or Cabo, I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose your room based on the time of day you want sunshine on your deck. There is sunrise, sunset...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AJShirk
FArgo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

The resort is fabulous. Pools, lobbies, grounds, rooms are immaculate. Happy hours are plentiful and fun. Activities are great, yoga on the beach was the most beautiful thing I have experienced. Resort is walk able to the mega grocery store, starbucks , amazing restaurants in San jose, expansive walk able beach. Staff is friendly and helpful. Shuttle to cabo San Lucas was easy. Down side is ourroom had no coffee pot, a bathroom lights that didn't work and the hot water took forever to
Warm up. Staff promised us several,times a day things would be fixed, we were there a week with no results.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple