All reviews de mendoza street noise stayed in a junior suite beautiful lobby beautiful hotel wooden shutters ceiling fan old world piano player middle of town rooms are spacious reception staff nice breakfast the main square sitting area colonial building colonial mexico
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Disastrous from start to finish. First, they got our reservations wrong. Booked only half the rooms. After a long stand-off, they tried to make it up by upgrading one of the rooms to the master suite. Well, the suite wasn't ready. It took a team of very surly staff a long time to get it ready. Meantime, the streets had turned mean. Two of our group were harassed at night on the way back to the hotel in the evening. To top it all, no room service at night.

The next morning, breakfast was pathetic. Ill-prepared and badly served. Check-out took forever. And the whole time, this air of apathy hung around the place. The staff just couldn't be bothered.

Definitely seen better days, this one. Such a majestic building going slowly to seed. Time for a management shake-up if you ask me.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Singhy_the_wanderer
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This beautiful Historic hotel right in the center of the historic district, is an absolute gem. The rooms are furnished with lovely antiques imported mainly from Europe, and all linens are plush and monogrammed.
It is ideally situated for shopping, tours and close to many excellent restaurants. The hotel restaurant is also top notch. All meals are elegantly presented and some dishes are amazingly delicious, such as the cream of artichoke soup, the best I've ever had.
We have recommended this hotel to friends who were delighted with it.
We also plan to return on an annual basis, since it is now our home away from home and a truly romantic getaway. The city is our favorite in all of Mexico.
I would recommend a suite overlooking the lobby. Much quieter than an exterior facing room, and extremely reasonable. We paid roughly $130 a night which included breakfast. The suites have floor to ceiling windows and an excellent view of the gorgeous lounge and its grand piano. Now about 150 years old.
One minor warning, the bathrooms are a bit old fashioned. Personally, I find them charming and part of the overall ambiance. They are very clean, huge bathtub in our room, and the towels and bathrobes first class all the way.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mexigal_10
Reviewed December 28, 2010

In the midsts of beautiful, historic Morelia - Loved this hotel: opulent, eye catching, full of history..the lounge is quite stunning.

Stayed in 2 different rooms- the junior suite was wonderful, with antiques and a great view across to the magnificent cathedral. The standard room was more simple, with too much noise from the central courtyard-lounge...

Morelia is terrific - and this is the place to stay in style (ask for a quiet, roomy room)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We stayed here for a friend's wedding. We had a substantial discount, and I think without it the hotel wouldn't be worth it. It's a great location, right on the plaza, but that also means you have a lot of street noise. The rooms were very pretty and clean, and the staff was very nice. I loved all the antiques around the hotel, and they have a beautiful stained glass ceiling. The simple breakfast was also included and very filling, and if you want to pay for the buffet it's delicious. But the service was horribly slow. I think we waited an hour to get our food so by the time we finished it was lunchtime. But if you want to spend the money, this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisf29
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We stayed at the Virrey de Mendoza for 2 nights in late October 2010.

The hotel was beautiful, and very clean. We found it to be a little stuffy and "elite" for our taste, but it was nice to have something different. We found some of the staff to be a little cold and perhaps felt a bit out-of-place because we were not the older, classy clientelle they might be used to (i.e. my male partner has long hair and we prefer to dress and behave more casually).

We got a good deal online (about $149 USD) for a room overlooking the cathedral and plaza, but when I saw the posted rates at reception I was glad we were not paying the standard rate, I feel it would not be good value at those rates.

There was general noise during the evenings from the surrounding restaurants and from the plaza, which we expected and was not a problem, but on the next corner of the plaza was a nightclub, which got started at around 11pm and continued until almost dawn, with unbelievably loud, thumping music which reverberated through our room and kept me awake all night. I even used ear plugs and at one point put a pillow over my head it was THAT loud, but it literally felt like the thump thump thump was vibrating the floor at some points!

I must point out that we are not the type to complain about anything much, and usually would not worry in the slightest about street noise or even party noise, and we are reasonably young, in our 30s. We don't mind going to concerts and are not adverse to loud music, but when you are travelling and NEED to sleep in order to get the most out of your trip, I would prefer NOT to feel like I am sleeping in a nightclub!

I feel bad for the hotel and those nearby, as I can imagine this will hurt their business, but people should be aware, especially if they are staying over a Friday or Saturday night, that it is VERY loud. Bring ear plugs and maybe ask if the have a room that isn't facing the plaza.....it may be quieter!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple