All reviewsde mendozastreet noisestayed in a junior suitebeautiful lobbybeautiful hotelwooden shuttersceiling fanold worldpiano playermiddle of townrooms are spaciousreception staffnice breakfastthe main squaresitting areacolonial buildingcolonial mexico
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We stayed here for a friend's wedding. We had a substantial discount, and I think without it the hotel wouldn't be worth it. It's a great location, right on the plaza, but that also means you have a lot of street noise. The rooms were very pretty and clean, and the staff was very nice. I loved all the antiques around the hotel, and they have a beautiful stained glass ceiling. The simple breakfast was also included and very filling, and if you want to pay for the buffet it's delicious. But the service was horribly slow. I think we waited an hour to get our food so by the time we finished it was lunchtime. But if you want to spend the money, this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisf29
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We stayed at the Virrey de Mendoza for 2 nights in late October 2010.

The hotel was beautiful, and very clean. We found it to be a little stuffy and "elite" for our taste, but it was nice to have something different. We found some of the staff to be a little cold and perhaps felt a bit out-of-place because we were not the older, classy clientelle they might be used to (i.e. my male partner has long hair and we prefer to dress and behave more casually).

We got a good deal online (about $149 USD) for a room overlooking the cathedral and plaza, but when I saw the posted rates at reception I was glad we were not paying the standard rate, I feel it would not be good value at those rates.

There was general noise during the evenings from the surrounding restaurants and from the plaza, which we expected and was not a problem, but on the next corner of the plaza was a nightclub, which got started at around 11pm and continued until almost dawn, with unbelievably loud, thumping music which reverberated through our room and kept me awake all night. I even used ear plugs and at one point put a pillow over my head it was THAT loud, but it literally felt like the thump thump thump was vibrating the floor at some points!

I must point out that we are not the type to complain about anything much, and usually would not worry in the slightest about street noise or even party noise, and we are reasonably young, in our 30s. We don't mind going to concerts and are not adverse to loud music, but when you are travelling and NEED to sleep in order to get the most out of your trip, I would prefer NOT to feel like I am sleeping in a nightclub!

I feel bad for the hotel and those nearby, as I can imagine this will hurt their business, but people should be aware, especially if they are staying over a Friday or Saturday night, that it is VERY loud. Bring ear plugs and maybe ask if the have a room that isn't facing the plaza.....it may be quieter!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank odyssey1977
Reviewed March 20, 2010

This is a lovely old hotel with antique furniture in the centre of the beautiful town of Morelia, overlooking the main square. The rooms were comfortable - ours had a high window seat, others had balconies. The food was OK but there are plenty of restaurants nearby where you may do better. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed March 10, 2010

A fabulous treat - elegant old-world ambiance with modern conveniences, great food, patient staff, ideal central location and, best of all, fabulous live piano music in the evenings and at Sunday brunch.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Super authentic colonial Mexican hotel experience. OK the others are correct in that it is noisy, so if you prepare for that with some ear plugs, it’s worth the downside. I would like to give special recognition to the hotel’s staff. They are service oriented, gracious and honest. I made a mistake and over-tipped at the restaurant one evening. Service charge is added automatically but I missed that. The staff caught my error and corrected it!!!
The suite was a terrific value. We received a discount in the restaurant for dinner and free breakfast. The morning meal was excellent with some healthy choices. The fresh fruit and yogurt was divine. Servers fell all over themselves to make sure we were happy. About the suite, it was roomy, terrace was enormous, but wish the maid would have done better with cleaning the floor. The view of the plaza is mesmerizing. No English speaking television channels and the 45” television took up way too much space. Dependable wireless internet. We are history aficionados and found a brilliant guide. His prices are competitive, and his history is precise. His name is Miguel Rubio Martinez [--]
I encourage you to visit Morelia. Tourism has taken a serious hit due to people taking the news much too serious. The city is safe, just don’t completely drop your guard. Be aware of your surroundings. This is an opportunity for us to take advantage of some great travel values. Go! It’s undiscovered and still pure Mexico.
Last note, do not bother dining at any of the restaurants on the plaza near the hotel. Expensive and below par.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple