“Was once good, but has fallen by the wayside” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tinners Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zennor
The Tinners Arms
Ranked #2 of 6 Zennor B&B and Inns
“Was once good, but has fallen by the wayside”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Me and my wife have been coming to St Ives for the past 6 years, as we love the place. One of the main highlights of the holiday has been the Coastal walks by zennor, followed by a good meal and a pint at the tinners arms. However, our recent visit (6th August), left us very disappointed. The food was appalling and extremely over priced, and the staff were very rude. Such a great shame as we have had great times there before. We won't be returning as we have located a pub about ten minutes drive further on called the gurnards head. Very friendly staff and great food.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Tiggernan

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wiltshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Walking the South West Coast Path, I stopped for a night at the Tinner's Arms for B&B. The (single) room was decidedly small (though light and airy) and had very little in the way of facilities - not even a washbasin. The (shared) bathroom down the corridor was perfectly adequate as regards plumbing but didn't even offer a hand towel. The bedroom walls were paper thin and had no sound-proofing qualities whatosoever. The breakfast was pretty basic as to choice - only two varieties of cereal offered, though the service was friendly. (Which was more than could be said for the pub the previous evening).

For this I was charged £55. This is outrageous, and a cynical exploitation of the fact that it is the only establishment available to walkers for some distance.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
bristol, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

The White House at the Tinners arms is a pretty little house. I was staying in one of the two single rooms and my friend in the other. The rooms were clean and brights but very small. The bathroom was opposite and very clean, warm and spacious. On either side of these rooms is a double room with ensuite. The walls are paper thin. My room was next to the bathroom of the double room next to mine. (I was in room 2). and the plumbing rattled and creaked. I heard every flush, every tap running, every single word the people spoke and I even could hear when the gentleman concerned passed urine!!!! Unfortuanately. to add insult to injury, these people were early risers and on the first morning I was woken at 5.45 by their chatter and ablutions. I was very angry and spoke with the management. They said they were surprised as they had never had a complaint before which was clearly untrue. I was booked in for another night and everywhere else was booked up. The took off the price of one nights accommodation which was meeting me half way but I would rather pay the full wack and sleep. My friend was lucky in that her room was empty on the first night and had very quiet people on the second. She could also hear the people in the room next to mine from her room. Having said all that, the place was very clearn, the staff friendly and the breakfast very good and substantail. We had an evenign meal in the pub on the first night and although the portions were substantial, the food was average. All in all a disappointing stay. One other thing - We were asked on the first morning if we wished to have our beds made and tea trolly topped up. I said yes but my bed was not made although my friends room was???

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

Our stay at the tinners arms was very nice. The rooms are very basic but in a seperate building to the pub. The rooms are ensuite and there is a lovely breakfast served in the mornings.
The village is very beautifl and the local church is well worth visit. There are lovely coastal walks as the seas is less than 500m from the pub.
The pub itself is very cosy and the food served is of a very high standard but don't expect any bargains. Do expect Murphy the dog to come and sit with you though.
The pub has windows which overlook the farm and you can watch the cows walking across the street on their way to the milking parlour

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
eilat
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

A friend and I started our walking holiday in Zennor and so we decided to stay at The Tinners Arms the night before our walk. When we arrived, we weren't sure where to find the proprietor, but we found him in the kitchen of the pub. He was expecting us and showed us to our 2 single rooms on the second floor at the top of a very narrow wooden staircase. Our rooms were cheerful and small, but not uncomfortably so and I immediately filled the kettle in the room and made myself a nice cup of tea. I also filled in the form with my breakfast request for the following morning. The bathroom across the passage was big and spacious and modern, with proper mixer taps and a heated towel rail. We ate our dinner in the pub, which is lovely - cozy and friendly. The bar lady offered me tastings of all the draft ales and ciders, so I could see which one I liked the best. The Zennor Mermaid ale is my definite favourite. The next morning, after a comfortable sleep, and an excellent breakfast, which included oat porridge, we packed up and headed off on our walk. After we completed our walk 3 days later, we arrived back at The Tinners Arms to collect our car, and being a Sunday, we decided to stay and enjoy the Sunday carvery. We ordered our food at the bar, but as it was a beautiful day we sat in the garden with beautiful views over green fields and yellow flowers to the sea beyond. The service was good and the food was tasty - even more so in the lovely sunshine. It was hard to leave The Tinners Arms and Zennor.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Chelmsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

A friend and I stayed at the Tinners Arms in mid February during a short walking holiday. After a hard days slog we arrived around 5:00pm to find one of the best pubs I have visited. The pub is not modern, doesn't have TV, music, games machines or any of the modern day "attractions" and best of all - mobile phones don't work there! It is a good old fashioned, simple place with a log fire, fantastic beer (try the Tinner Ale) and absolutely great food. The landlord was very welcoming and has obviously built up a good business in the time he has owned the place.
We stayed in the White House right next to the Tinners so very easy staggering distance. Our rooms were singles which were quite small but very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was stocked with good quality shampoo, shower gel etc. and has a great power shower, just right after a hard days walking. Breakfast was also of a very good standard, prepared by the chef for the time you request it and served by a friendly lady who lives next to the pub and "helps out" when asked. Worse point - having to leave!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Riggie
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

Nice modern room but noisey due to being in a pub. Food was good and served in a nice garden.

• Liked — modern accomodation
  • Disliked — noisey
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
mothead, owner at The Tinners Arms, responded to this review, 24 May 2008
I am sorry to hear you found the accommodation at The White House noisy.
This is somewhat surprising as the rooms are in a building some distance from the pub and most guests comment on how quiet it is at night due to the absence of traffic.
You stayed on a Sunday when the Pub shuts at 10.30pm so you must have been very unlucky to be disturbed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zennor
5.8 km away
Chy-An-Albany
#8 of 21 in St Ives
6.5 km away
Tregenna Castle Resort

Been to The Tinners Arms? Share your experiences!