All reviews zicatela beach no meat excellent vegetarian air conditioning small balcony four seasons extensive menu mexican hotel hotel grounds beautiful tiles quiet end loved this hotel pool side huge waves restaurant service sea view the staff was friendly and helpful
Reviewed February 28, 2018

I really enjoyed my four-night stay here. It has the feel of a classic Mexican hotel with the older tile design in the courtyard and in the rooms. And the interior grounds are really quite pleasant. Lots of plants and greenery to keep the place feeling fresh and relaxing. Keep in mind if you are staying here that this place is a little bit older, so may not have some of the super modern fixtures you might expect. But for Puerto Escondido, this place is legit.

A couple of other observations just so you know what to expect ...

The mattresses in the room are pretty firm/hard. I didn’t have a problem with it, but keep that in mind. Also note the sheet and spread are fairly light, but I don’t know why you would need anything heavier in that environment.

The Wi-Fi (at least in the room where I was staying) was WEAK. The only decent coverage I could get was when I was sitting down by the pool or the public area around the pool (or the restaurant).

I thought the on-site restaurant was quite good and reasonable. Good sized portions, plenty of options with Oaxacan cheese, and the coffee was quite tasty. And obviously very convenient – we ate there all four mornings.

The pool was nice – they actually have two pools, but I only splashed around in one of them. Nice way to cool off after an afternoon of exploring.

We stayed in one of the junior suites. In that room, the bathroom was small – just the shower and toilet. The sink was outside in the main room area. I don’t know if that bothers anyone, so just mentioning it. Oh, and the AC worked perfectly – no problems there.

Location for me was ideal – just the tip of Zicatela Beach, so you can walk down the beach in the afternoon and hit a spot or two for happy hour. But also close enough to walk to Av. Alfonso Pérez Gasga in the evening if you want to hit any of those spots. Which is pretty much what we did.

I would definitely stay here again – great all-around vibe in the hotel, and from the other travelers we encountered that were staying there as well.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank John D
Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

Must have been a great place years and years ago, but ownership needs to put some of its profits back in this aging property. The floors are far from the shiny tile shown in the promo photographs and the glaze is almost completely worn off.
Things like a lamp whose cord has been taped to be repaired and the tape is unraveling shows a lack of interest in the property in general.
The internet! Apparently the three legged, arthritic hamster that propels the system needs to be retired!
One the good side.... the staff is very friendly and helpful and does a great job overall. The restaurant is also very good and we have enjoyed many meals there.
Again, this once gem, needs an infusion, and that would make THE place to stay in Puerto Escondido.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Antknee001
Reviewed February 10, 2018

Years ago someone plunked this gem in the best beach spot. You can walk to the left Azar sun rise and get to La Punta beach for breakfast, we saw one fresh turtle lay with broken eggs and 2 coral snakes along the way. Or walk to the right thru the incoming fishing Tanya's to explore the intricate walkway to the lighthouse. Both best done in the cool of morning. Get back k to jump in the pool. Hotel busy and diservse to be. Our nicest room so far.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank wonderfulbc
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at this Mexican property. Lush tropical gardens, 2 pools, overlooking Zicaleta Beach. Hot sun, pounding surf made the ocean unsafe to swim or even stand in. Spectacular sunsets. On site restaurant serves no meat but makes up for it with seafood and varied vegetation choices. Pool side and restaurant service prompt and helpful. Rooms could do with a lot of sprucing up. Beds ok, though a bit on the firm side. Room had a small Juliet balcony. Good location at the quiet end of Zicaleta Beach. Easy walk to many beach side bars and restaurants.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank TJTeddy1
Roberto L, Gerente at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2018

Thank you very much for your words, and all the description, Will be very helpful for our clients.

Thanks for stay with US, an hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2018

-Location was perfect. Right on Zicatela beach, walking distance to many bars and restaurants.
-Room was okay. Bed was so hard. Old bedding and draperies makes the room look and feel really old and unclean. No hair dryer. The hotel itself has beautiful lush grounds with an iguana and a few cats hanging around.
-Service?!? We sat by the palapa for hours and were never asked if we wanted anything. One morning we flagged down a waiter and ordered coffee. We then asked to see a menu. He brought us menus, set our table and never came back. I don’t think they were being rude, it seemed like they just didn’t know any better. All in all would only go back if I knew they had better beds and bedding.

Date of stay: November 2017