See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 12, 2015

Father (me) and grown Daughter who was my trip advisor went for breakfast at the only place in town that served this special corn fungus. The Tabachin is tucked away behind the posh Santa Fe Hotel. The location is beautiful and the architecture and decoration with painted moulded plaster work and fabulous tiles and frescos is outstanding, indeed brilliant. The hotel was full with interesting long-term guests, many being regulars who return year after year. One couple kindly showed us their apartment occupying a high floor. It was spacious with wonderful colonial ambience and spectacular views.
The breakast had fresher, tastier fruit and juices than anywhere else! The Huitlacoche was a bland filling in a very nice omelet. But everyone who wants to try real Mexican food should taste it.
Breakfast was included in room rates. We wished we could stay there.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Kendd
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Spent a great week there meeting up with family who spend months there. For us, the location rooms, and of course the breakfast were perfect. Clean, good showers and AC, but the staff were the best. I mean, I walked in and Felix comes out and says you must be Andy. Good guess, and they were expecting us, but I felt at home right away. We shopped, ate and relaxed our time away. Also some fishing for fresh Dorado that was served up one evening by my wife's dad. Favorite times were early morning for walks, evening sunsets, the waves here really do make some sound. The hotel is a bit worn, but in good repair, and the room we stayed in was two floors above the kitchen. But again the staff made all the difference.

Room tip: Can use pool at Hotel Santa Fe, next door to Tabachin
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank aclemson
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here in an apartment on the floor just below the top floor. Pretty good location, at the edge of Playa Zicatela and very close to the Hotel Santa Fe. The owner, Paul, died in May 2013 and the hotel is now managed by the local staff, under the ownership of Paul's daughter. The apartment is big, with a sizable kitchen and large main room/bedroom. Lots of fans and windows (also A/C, which I was fine skipping), and surrounded by a narrow deck. A delicious breakfast is included - you order from a handful of items on a restaurant menu. And being on the edge of Zicatela, you are convenient to that beach, but also a ~30 minute walk to the beaches Carrizalillo (four stars!) and Puerto Angel (picturesque, crowded with locals).

Room tip: The "rooms" on the top floors are huge, and if you can see the ocean from the balconies.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank SantoGabacho
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My umpteenth visit this winter was as wonderful as always. I love the mix of regular visitors, new faces, people from across the globe, old and young, different languages. I stayed in the ground floor Unit One for much of my visit...it is especially large and one does not need to climb stairs to reach it. The covered patio is great for sitting about and playing cards with friends and other visitors. And I spent a couple of weeks in Unit Two which is not as large but is the most well decorated of all the apartments, with really nice art work on the walls. Paul's fine tile work and the light paint colors make this unit stand out. There have been a good number of new and good restaurants opening around town this past year...new things to explore. Paul's hotel is exceptional and the guests here are a joy to be with. I've already reserved three months for next winter.

Room tip: New penthouse: spectacular view of ocean; Old Penthouse: nice view of ocean, large unit; Unit One: ground floor with big, covered patio; Unit Four: BIG. Unit Two: best decor; Unit Three: Buddha decor, large unit, quiet.
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank GringoOnEarthFilming
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! It's by far the best place we've stay in all our 2 years of travelling. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and fully equip with everything you need. The location is perfect with views to die for and the rumble of the ocean waves crashing on the shore line to put you to sleep at night. Above all this is the staff. We can't express just how beautiful the staff at Tabachin are. The owner Paul is the most humble of gentlemen and a wealth of knowledge who ensured our stay was everything we wanted and more. Felix, a staff member, was there to greet us every morning for breakfast and he went out of his way every day to ensure we had everything we needed and gave us information on any and everything to do in Puerto Escondido. Everyone including the cleaning staff and their local farmer were the nicest of people we've had the pleasure of meeting. The room also includes a daily breakfast and what a breakfast it is. 13 options of everything from pancakes to bacon and eggs with juice, coffee and a fruit plate as well. This place has everything and more! We ended up extending our stay from one week to 12 days and even then it was hard to leave. This place really is a home away from home. Thanks heaps guys, we'll definitely be back!

Angie & Tom - Australia