All reviews plunge pool personal assistant terrace bar the penthouse room service complimentary guacamole cooking class seafood restaurant ceviche main pool steam room every staff member the pacific ocean low season crashing waves us dollars the general manager
Reviewed September 16, 2018

This hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed, you literally don't want to leave the property as you have everything you need for a relaxed/romantic vacation...Pools are relatively small but never crowded, food is delicious (mostly fish-based as you would expect and always fresh), and other services, like the spa, are top notch. There are plenty of reviews that cover in detail the description of the rooms, the menus, the massages, etc. so there is no need to go over that again in this post however I do want to emphasize the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, they are discreet but they are always making sure that you are doing fine and that you have everything you need. And when you need something they are genuinely happy to help you!...In that regard a big shout-out to all the staff specially Nadia, who was our "personal assistant" and to Carlos Ambrosi, the GM of the property; he greeted us personally and made sure our stay was a pleasant one!...Well done Cala de Mar, We will be visiting you again very soon for sure!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
General M, Gerente at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us, we are glad that you had a good experience with us at Cala de Mar. Thank you for your kind appreciation on our staff and services, our commitment will be always with our guests to create memorable experiences. We will let all our staff know your comments.
We will be happy and honored for your return, we hope to see you back soon at our resort.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

I selected this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary, the place is stunning and service is unparalled. They assigned a personal assistant right after reservation and I was able to book in advance transportation, romantic dinner, welcome lovely decoration, spa services. All staff goes out of their way to make your stay pleasent. The facilities are impecable in mantainance and everything works well, all suites have incredible ocean views and the sound of the waves hitting the surrounding cliffs is something else. We enjoyed our stay from sept 6 to sept 09. They helped us have a memorable celebration. Thanks to Nadia, Susana, Juan C, Ana, Alexis, the SPA staff, waiters and chefs, everyone knew our names and had our must minimal need taken care for. Highly recomendable for a romantic scapade with your loved one.

Room Tip: Romantic gateaway, secluded ambience, exceptional service
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
General M, Gerente at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us, we really appreciate your comments and we will let all our staff knows your appreciation and kind words that you share with us.
We are glad to be able to make your anniversary an special occasion, we hope to see you back soon at Cala de Mar.
Thank you for your stay.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

This all suites resort is built along a cliff in Ixtapa.
Each room has a full ocean view, a large terrace, and a private pool.
Enjoy several nice dining options, get a treatment in their great spa, relax by one of the two large outdoor swimming pools, or just relax and enjoy the spectacular views of the Pacific.
Ixtapa, and neighboring Zihuatanejo, located in Guerrero, were the final holdouts for tourism in the state.
Recent spikes in very serious crime have sadly made this beautiful location no longer safe to travel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MLLCLA
General M, Gerente at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Thank you very much for your visit to Cala de Mar, we are glad that you enjoy the room and views from the hotel. We appreciate your comments and point of views on the security of the Sierra Madre mountains, that still far from our destination. We are glad that you enjoyed our dinner options, SPA and services.
Thank you very much for your input and your recent stay with us, we would love to host your holiday anytime in a near future, we look forward to assist you.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

Incredible service. We know some really good hotels in Europe and America and the service in Cala de Mar is unparalleled. Everybody is committed to make your stay the most beautiful and relaxing experience. The views and environment are superb. The only improvement area for me was the gastronomic offer, a bit limited for a long stay (9 days).

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
General M, Gerente at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

Appreciated guest,
Thank you very much for your stay and your review on our commitment; we are taking very serious our gastronomic offers and we are already moving forward to have a broader set of culinary experiences on our resort.
We will let all the staff know you appreciation.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

Not sure what I can add that others haven't already. I can tell you that I was hesitant to book this as we hate the heat and we're not beach going people. We were going to go to Europe but decided we wanted something more relaxing. I literally googled "most romantic hotels in the world" and this was one that came up.

After seeing the reviews and seeing that the room had a pool, we decided to take a chance and boy are we happy we did.

The room:
Not the biggest, not the fanciest, but still perfect. The air conditioning is powerful and easy to control. The washroom is great with a huge area for clothes and belongings. The only slight little thing is the water takes awhile to adjust the temp when you make changes and the pressure could have been slightly higher but that's not even close to being a problem.
It comes with lovely flip flops and a hat for the ladies (but not for guys).
Of course the highlight is the plunge pool in the room. Nothing was more exciting than coming back from the heat outside and just having a pool ready to use in the room, in the shade. It was perfect.
We got the free guac and chips and beers 1 night but only 1 night. I think it was cause we were napping all the other days :)
The view is spectacular and normally I don't care about views but I stared for hours from the pool over the week.

The rest of the hotel:
The property itself is amazing. From the restaurant locations to the hallways to the fun sloped elevator, it was all great. The library had different juices or flavoured waters every day as well as cookies and fruit (amazing mangoes). It was low season so in an entire week I think I saw maybe 12 other guests, mostly in the main pool (which we didn't use cause we had one in the room duh) and at the restaurants. We always had the library to ourselves so we felt like we owned the place.
We used their bikes to ride into town one day. It was great as the trails are pretty smooth. The only crappy thing was the chain came off but that was a fluke thing.

The food:
All the food we tried was very good to excellent. As others mentioned, it is expensive compared to the food in the town, but not compared to hotels in Canada or the US. The prices are like for a pretty nice restaurant in downtown Toronto. The most expensive thing we ate was the $40 whole fish which was delicious. The room service was always prompt and always good. We probably ordered food to the room 6 times and before that I've probably done room service maybe 3 times in my entire life at all other hotels. The only meal that really underwhelmed was the sushi on rice and lobster tacos we had for dinner our first night. The taste was great but you get very little food so we were hungry a few hours later.
The free juice, water and pop were also a lovely touch, especially the peach juice.

Finally the staff:
Everyone is just amazing there. From the staff at the gate, to the people at the restaurants, to Nadia our concierge and the front desk etc. etc. Just amazing. Probably the only hotel I've ever stayed at where 100% of the staff seem like happy people, not just friendly, but happy to be helping guests have a great time.

The town:
There is the town of Ixtapa, which is more the hotel strip with a lot of all inclusives I think. We went there a lot for meals. There are a lot of restaurants (including many owned by Canadians) that were all good. The prices were all reasonable or great. Gelato was like $3.25 CAD for 2 scoops, so way cheaper than Toronto. Zinhuatanejo was cool too but seemed quieter. We didn't get a chance to go here as much as it was a lot farther from the hotel, but we did go to Playa Las Gatas and got certified to scuba dive there. The food on the beach was nice. The meal we had at Ixtapa Island was decent too and great value. Zinhuatanejo has a large grocery store/dept store called Commercial Mexicana/Mega Soriana which we went to for stocking up on snacks and bread and food gifts to bring back home. It's kinda like a nicer Walmart with good prices.

The cons:
Really the only con is that you get bit my mosquitos like crazy (at least we did) but it was worth being a bug buffet. There were a lot of bugs and ants on the balcony but I never saw any in the room. It's like even the ants know their place. It was fascinating watching them on the balcony.

If you have a chance to stay here, just do it. Don't even hesitate. It's worth every penny. The only caveat is this was our first trip without our kids. We saw a very young child in the pool but I think our kids (6 and 8) would have been bored staying in the room so much, but it was perfect for us.

If you had asked me before we went if I'd go back, I'd say no, we want to try new places every time. Now all I can do is think about when I can go back.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. Every room has a pool. Stay at the ends for more privacy and the highest floors.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank S J L
General M, Gerente at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2018

Thank you for your visit to Cala de Mar, we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your optimistic experience during your stay with us.
In your next visit, we will create another exceptional experience for you. Thank you for writing such a nice review and the time you take in doing so, I look forward to receiving you again soon.

Carlos A