“Very poor service”
Review of Che Mangiamo - CLOSED

Che Mangiamo
Price range: US$2 - US$19
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Went there with friends on 3/3/13, our first night in Ixtapa, been there many times before. We ordered our meals and drinks. The drinks came right away and then we sat there for an hour waiting for our meals. There was one other table of 4 people when got there, so basically the place was empty. I finally asked if they were going to serve some bread or something while we were waiting and the waiter did bring a basket with 5 slices of bread, one each. About 15 minutes later he finally started bringing the meals. He couldn't remember who ordered what. After we shuffled what he brought, we were one meal short. The waiter walked away without explanation. I finaly walked over to him to see what was going on and he said the cook screwed up and forgot to make one. I told him to forget it since everybody else was about done eating. When he brought the bills, he tried to bill my brother for 2 extra meals. When we started discussing the problems they had, it turns out everyones meal was also luke warm by the time they got it. We used to love this place, won't be back.

1  Thank John R

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We really had a great experience here again this year. It was not on a weekend - and they were really slow - there was only one other table occupied in the place. Last year we must have been there on the weekend and the crowds lowered our enjoyment of the place - so we learned our lesson and were all glad we came.

The greeter on the first floor offered our first drink free - which kept our cost way down - one of us ordered another and I think I remember it was a $7 margarita (yikes!).
Our group of 9 people really had a great experience here though. Service was very good, the soft jazz music they played (not live) really fit in well with the evening.
Several of us had the pesto and it was really, really good. All of us were happy with our food and the service.
I can rank this experience as excellent - ok, possibly helped out because the first round of drinks were free and kept the cost down and value up. Without expensive drinks on the bill, the food prices seemed very reasonable and a good value.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Really enjoyed this spot last winter and were looking forward to the same experience.
Although food was still good,we noticed prices had gone up.the wait staff were very green
compared to last year and the entertainment was weak.It consisted of a Mexican fellow singing along to taped music.The place was empty expect for a few folks who appeared to be friends of the entertainer.
Last year the joint was a happening spot with a great trio who seemed o have a solid following.
I read the there was new management in place but they had better do something quick or We may not see them next year.

1  Thank KelownaGuy999
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Not sure of the details, but there has been a management/ownership change which has resulted in some problems at this formerly excellent restaurant.

On the plus side, the menu hasn't changed, and the food is still pretty good. However, the former attentive and professional wait staff has been replaced with some very young and inexperienced guys who frankly seemed lost. The chef is now also on the heavy-handed side with sauces -- my shrimp with pasta was absolutely swimming in a slightly too-spicy sauce, and at dessert you couldn't even see the crepes under the cajeta.

We also missed the emphasis on Mexican wines that the previous manager was so passionate about - as far as we could tell, there are no longer any Mexican wines served.

We hope that the new manager/owner can whip this place back into shape, but we'll keep a careful eye on the reviews before going back.

1  Thank TheRealPhilGold
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was my second time to Ixtapa and I couldn't wait to go back to Che Mangiamo. The view and the ambiance are as amazing as ever. However, although I don't know all the details, it has definitely changed since last year. The food is still very good, but the service was poor...we were the only table for the better part of our meal, and we had very little attention. The other big change is the prices have gone way up. This used to be one of the more affordable restaurants at the Marina, but now it is very pricey. Especially the beverages. Overall, although the food is good and the atmosphere is amazing, we likely won't put this place that high on our priority list next time.

1  Thank Cor80