3,505 results
All reviewsiguana buildingchief of the villagefamily vacationcircus teambeach boysol suitesjean marcwhite nightflying trapezecrazy signsfitness classesland sportsbaby foodmain restaurantluna azulsports activitiesmusic factory
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This was my 1st club med vacation. I'd have to say this is the best family vacation you can find for the value. We have 2 kids a 5yr old boy and 2 yr old girl. I would have never expected to love this place as much I did. The exceptional staff works really hard to please all their guests and it shows all day every day. Our family spent 12 days in the village so we saw many different groups come and go and as far as we could tell every guest in the village shared our enthusiasm. We stayed in the iguana building, we had a ground floor family club room with the balcony. These are def the best located rooms in the village.(closest to the center of the village and very close to the beach)
What you can look forward to.
-Great food no matter what your into. Nicholas runs the restaurants seamlessly and the chef sheik has a new surprise at every meal.
- All kind of activities running all day long
- A variety of entertaining shows for all ages every night including singing and dancing.
- you don't even need to bring a camera they even do that for you.
GO's that I can name by name(that's how tight knit the village was) made the experience unforgettable
Josh always had sports running all day long,volleyball/ping pong/soccer/football/basketball/frisbee and more...
Chucho ran a spectacular circus team, trapeze/wall climbing and amazing shows at night in the theater
Mimi and Amira from the petite club are the best!
All the gos from the mini club were great with all the kids in the village.
Alex and Alexis were some of the best waiters I've ever had.
Mourad for running an excellent sport and animation program
Flavia the chef du village AKA wonder woman. She is the captain of this spectacular team. She is everywhere and apart of every bodies vacation. She makes every guests happiness her priority. She gets an A+.

Can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear DavidNyc23,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are so glad you had an amazing 12 day stay at our beautiful village. It brings us joy to read that we far exceeded your expectations and that we could give you your "best family vacation" yet. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us and your fellow travelers. You did a great job of pointing out all of the main features of the village for everyone to read. We hope you and your family will come see us again soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2012

As a family of 5, with children ages 1, 5, and 7 we were looking for a family vacation that would actually be a vacation rather than merely a change of venue with more complications than benefits. Well, Club Med was it! The kids club provided a range of fun, engaging activities which allowed my husband and I time to relax, play and then enjoy time with each child. However, though their website is lovely, it would have been nice to have greater details before booking the trip. Therefore, below please find a more detailed review.

baby club

The baby club runs from 9am to 5pm. The facility is lovely and is situated on the edge of a winding garden path surrounded by a tiny white picket fence. It is just next to the Iguana Rooms. When you walk through the locked gate to your left is the baby size playground and in front is a paved patio for the 2-4 year old with a fleet of those cute little Fred Flintstone type baby cars. The 2-4 year old club also functions as an after hours pajama club for a flat fee of about $20ish US/kid. To your left is a short square mini-pool. The baby club building is attached to the Milk Room where a 24 hour supply of milk (shelf stabilized box milk of all kinds including soy and lactose free), baby food (more on this later) fresh fruit and yoghurt. Inside the baby club, the floor is soft and padded and there are cozy rooms for eating sleeping and playing. The facility has a general schedual which they will walk you though when you sign up. However, they will ask what your child needs and are very flexible. The focus at the club is not just to keep the babies calm and cared for but to ensure that each child has a good time. My son, 15 months, did NOT want to go. The lovely people at the club, particularily, Dora, took him for special walks, which he loved, found him balls to play with because they were his favorite toy, ordered food from the kitchen that he would eat and was flexible in schdueling his nap time. By the end of our trip, he was in sinc with the club. Having tried cruise ship kid clubs and the like with my 2 other children, I would say, by and large babies don't enjoy new experiences, different food or meeting new people. However, the caregivers at Club Med made it possible for our son to go without me having to worry that he was miserable.

miniclub

The miniclub serves ages 4-7 and has so many fun activities that you need never actually play with your child. The typical day is a sport (tennis, soccer, etc), circus club(flying trapeze-yes the little kids do go up there and they like it), swim time(they have a 3 foot deep pool with sprinklers), beach time, cooking time (think freezer cookies), snacks (eating the freezer cookies) and practice for the evenings shows. At 4:30 there is a "family" activity in the park area by the baby club. This ranged from pinatas, finger paining, tie dying tee-shirts and other similar activities. The club hours are from 9 to 5 and they will take the kids to lunch in the mini-club lunch room. Note, the 6-7 year olds can participate in sailing, archery and ocean swim time. However, when we signed our girls up, ages 5 and 7, it was not clear that there were actually different sections for the different age groups and so our older daughter wound up with the younger group until we mentioned her wish to participate in sailing. They were happily accommodating. The club personal are lively, cheerful and good with kids. You can pick the kids up or drop them off any time during the day, make sure you have a scheudle to find them. The kids looked forward to the range of activities and did not tire of going to the club. In the evenings, 7-9, the club goes to dinner in the main dinning room and the kids are welcome to join them. (But they only allow one scope of icecream for dessert ;). At 8:30pm there is a evening show. Many of them include the children. It is truelly amazing how well the kids can perform on stage with so little time in the club, I was also impressed at how no child seem concerned by going 'on stage' and how the focus of the events was on fun and it actually was fun both for kids and parents. (Maybe the endless free drinks helped but the atmosphere was happy and carefree).

Activities

The adults can enjoy a wide range of activities (see the webpage). We liked getting the girls breakfast from the baby room (ceral and yoghurt) and taking them to camp. This gave me time to take the baby to the bigger kid playground for 1/2 hour, feed him breakfast at the babyclub's highchairs, and then head off the the beautifull dinning area for a quiet breakfast with my husband (review on food to follow ;). We then went sailing, intially we had a short lesson and then spent the rest of our trip practicing the mechanics. Somehow after this we managed to either go back for lunch or pick the girls up for snack in the lovely beachside grill area and yes, eat more :). We then took the girls out for swim time, beach time, and one-on-one mommy or daddy time. The club has a number of "family times" set for various activities. My older daughter and I did archery lessons (she got better and hit a bullseye... i hit the target... twice!). My husband and older daughter tried the rock climbing wall. Who can participate and when is a bit confusing. It should be noted that kids under 8 can go sailing only with a trained club member during class, not with untrained parents, and that 5 year olds can't participate in tennis lessons or archery lessons during family time. This was a bit of a disappointment for my 5 year old, but she enjoyed ping-pong, and beachtime with us.

Offsite activities

The club has a booking office for off-site extras such as visiting dolphins, sailing/snorkeling trips, horseback riding, shopping and a cultural/arechological trip to a small town. They can also arrange a water taxi to meet you at the sailing area and take you out to Ixtapa Island. We are experienced divers/snorklers and took our girls out to the island without a guide. This was discouraged. The island has some very nice gold sand beaches (this is not the carribean), calm swimming areas, and small reefs maybe 10 feet deep with reasonable visability. Equipment rentals for ok equipment are availible as are palapas, chairs and food. The snorkeling is a short walk, over a rocky hill to the other side of the island. We saw small mantarays and enough colorfull fish to make the kids happy. A very nice man named Maurice came by with some very nice quality silver jewlery. He was quit please to sell me a number of lovely items and meet me for payment at the club later than evening. Later that week, I took the girls by taxi to Ziuhatenja for our own (non-club) shopping tour. We visited Alberto's the nicest jewlery store which with its own onsite designer which was also quite nice. I would recommend Maurice for good quality trinkets (i bought several silver/opal or torquise rings and earings) and Albertos for the higher end purchases. My husband went diving with Carlo's dive shop and advised it was a very good experience. The boats do not have ladders so if you have mobility issues (i do) be warned. He advised the guide was excellent and knowlegable and the dive was interesting.

Accommodations

The room we stayed in was a garden view, ground floor in the Iguana grouping. It had 2 entrances (with high-up chain locks). The adult room consisted of 2 large beds pushed together, it was a bit hard but better then many. It had a closet and computer desk (bring a cable for your computer the wireless does not work well). The adult room is ajoined to the children's room through tall double doors. The kids had 2 day bed, one with a trundle. a cute desk, 3 small tables and a second TV. Both rooms join the bathroom which has 2 sinks, one toilet in separate area, and a walk in shower with beck and 2 shower heads. A baby bathtub is provided as is a nice carriage. There is a refrigorator, bottled water is brought by the maid, a coffee maker and a bottle warmer which is too small to accommodate the width of the event bottles we use. (but there is a microwave in the babyroom, just plan on going for a short walk in the mornings... more pleasant than it would seem).

FOOD!!!

This was my favorite part of our trip! The main dinning area is set on the second story of the tall white colummed main building. It has a beautiful open air deck with view of the ocean and Ixtapa Island. Inside the buffet is divided into several sections. You are greeted first with the dessert area. There is an array of pasteries depending on the meal (think brioches, chocolate chip brioches (YUM!) raisen breads, fresh rolls, cheese cakes, tarts, layer cakes, chocolate fountains one night, fresh fruit, and about eight kinds of icecream. For breakfast there are fresh eggs with a chef to prepare them for you personally- i liked scrambled with fresh tomatoes, onions, cheese and peppers. There is a grill section with a variety of prepared and grilled items. At every dinner there was plain grilled chicken (flavored with a touch a garlic and maybe lime?), grilled fish (lots of mahimahi), plain hamburgers, hamburgers with cheese, hotdogs and plain pasta. There was also a main dish such as fancy steaks, or roasted turkey. There was a mexican food station with tacos made to order. If you like fish- this is the place for you: clams, octupus, squid, calamari, fresh swordfish, sushi -it looked great even though i don't like any of it. Lunch featured fresh salads made to order, the tuna for the sushi is excellent and lots of mexican dishes. My husband told me, that yes, he actually could eat Mexican food for every meal (its his favorite).

There are two other resturants. The grill located near the pool and just off the beach and another returnate that was booked by private parites for the duration of our trip. The grill was opened when the dinning room was not. We has a few lunches there: chicken nuggets/french fries for the kids, chocolate eclairs, fish tacos, chicken skewers for the adults. The service is slow and a bit lacking in friendliness but the view is wonderful and the food is good. One evening we placed the kids in the pajama club and went "out to dinner" (no additional cost for food). The evening meal is akin to a nice resturant: salad, maindish, dessert. I has a good (but not great steak) and nice salad. The ambience was lovely.

The drinks are free and plentiful if sometimes a bit odd. The bar tenders are good with the specials but unsure how to prepare anything else. However, there are very willing to keep trying and you can keep sampling. The redwines, a termpernillo was nice, the white not to my taste and the rose not great. There is always coffee and the fresh squeezed orange juice is to die for.

Baby Food

The baby food was not our style. There are 2 baby food areas, one in the milk room and one in the main buffett. They provide jars of gerber baby food. Generally the mixed vegi/meat type, a few types of veggies, pears in sugar sauce, lots of surgery cereals (cocopuffs, cornpuffs, frostedflakes, etc). There are plain saltines and I think a blender if you want to mix your own. There are a variety of surgery yoghurts and one plain type that the older girls enjoyed. Our baby is past a year so he was past the baby food stage but I missed plain cheerios, non-surgery fruits. He loved the plain pasta, bread and eventually accepted the grilled chicken (which i though was delicious but a better different from what he was used to). The people at the grill resturant would cut up plain apples or pears for us. The bananas are excellent!

All in all we had a wonderfull time and look forward to another visit!!! thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: the iguana rooms are close to all the kid stuff
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rubiskies

Dear rubiskies,
Thank you for taking the time to write this in-depth review of our resort! We are so happy to read that your experiences with us proved to be your “best family vacation” ever! It is apparent that there were many aspects of the village that you absolutely loved. It’s great that you felt so comfortable with the child care, which really allows you to be care-free your entire stay! We love that you dove right into the activities by taking lessons and learning as many new skills as possible. Your vacation memories will truly last a lifetime. We hope you’ll come back to make even more of these wonderful memories soon. See you then!

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Club Med has always been a perfect escape for me. Wonderful food, great people and the best beach in Ixtapa. We stayed in the Sol suites which are completely fantastic. Doors that open right up to what seems to be a private beach, awesome bathroom and comfortable beds. We really had a great time. If you get the chance try the trapeze.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear JMM15,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us! It’s obvious that you had a marvelous vacation at Ixtapa Pacific and we wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. The beach is gorgeous and we’re happy you were able to enjoy the solitude of it. Congrats on learning the trapeze! We hope you’ll come back to practice your skills again soon!

Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have never in my life even been tempted to vacation in the same spot twice - no matter how great, I like the novelty of trying new spots. But this was too good not to do again last year, and yet again, we are about to book for the kids' spring break.
The kids club is amazing! Our kids are now 7 and 10. The youngest is often initially shy to do the kids club but quickly remembers how much fun it is, how nice the GOs are, and tends to find a particular favorite friend. We generally drop them off at 9 or 9:30 after breakfast and they often stay all day, though it's very easy to have them pop in and out if you want some family time. They have a set schedule each day so they can spend some time with you if they want but not miss their favorite activities. There's a family event I think at like 4:30, then we generally hang at the beach and boogie board and play in the sand before dinner. The kids then can join the kids club again for dinner and are IN 2 after-dinner shows.
There are lots of fun things to do all day, or you can just relax on the beach or at the pool with a drink. Drinks are great, we didn't find them to be watered down, and they were happy to give you a double, if I recall. We even took a class on bartending, which was very fun. My husband took a great cooking class. We never left the resort the past 2 years.
All the staff are friendly, extremely hard-working, and helpful. The rooms were set up perfectly and were roomy (we had the most basic 'family room.') The grounds were beautiful. The pools were very nice and the beach was beautiful. (I think only rain or nearby storms would cause it be be brown, as one person noted it was when they were there.) The food was great; I found it to have great variety despite my being a vegetarian and being able to eat only maybe 20% of what was offered.
In summary, go and enjoy! Other than a pricey 5-star resort (I might still choose Club Med!), you just can't beat it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth V

Dear BethV,
Thank you for writing this wonderful review! We are so happy you’ve chosen to return to Ixtapa year after year! It seems as though your kids had a fantastic time at the Kid’s Club, giving you the opportunity to relax. We’re glad you enjoyed so many great aspects of the resort such as the fun activities, friendly staff, and food/drinks! Enjoy putting your new found cooking and bartending skills to work. We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was our first trip to Ixtapa (and my husband’s first visit to a Club Med) and I guarantee we’ll be back. We traveled with our 4 children ages 4 and under. Yes, we got many incredulous looks in our travel from Washington, D.C. to Mexico, but it went fine. And as soon as we arrived at the Ixtapa airport, and were greeted by the friendly Club Med driver who didn’t blink twice at the amount of luggage or kids we had, we knew it would be a great week for all 6 of us. From the warm welcome in the lobby to the send-off in the lobby 8 days later, the staff was just fabulous.

There were always extra sets of hands available to assist us. We also took advantage of the Baby Club (for our 1-year old twins), the Petit Club (for our 3-year old), and the Kids Club (for our 4-year old). The staff in all three clubs were AMAZING! A big shout out to Gloria, Angel, Amira, Daniela, Vania, Marina, and Doro for the care they provided our youngest three. The facilities for the kids are top notch, including separate pools which our 3-year old loved. We were also very pleased with the babysitter that we used for three nights in our room, and the Club was gracious enough to insure that we had the same lady each night. Well worth the extra cost. We did splurge on a club room, so had two bedrooms with adjoining bathroom, which worked out great. Since we’d enrolled in the Baby Club our room was stocked with a fridge, portable cribs, blankets, strollers and bottle warmers. The 24-hour access to a baby feeding room co-located by the Baby/Petite club and fully stocked at all times with milk, baby food/cereal, juices, yogurts etc., proved extremely helpful when babies woke before the restaurant was open. There is an on-site nurse and a physician who visits each evening, which proved indispensable when a baby developed an ear infection – an Rx was phoned in by the front desk and delivered within a couple hours. Not that anyone wants to visit a doctor on vacation, but reassuring to know great care is just steps away if necessary.

If traveling with little ones, definitely take advantage of the evening shows as they are extremely kid friendly and in fact, many evenings involve performances by the children. Our son was so excited to show off the dance moves that he had practiced all week in the Kids Club. While our little ones had activities galore, mom and dad enjoyed time at the spa, beach, and pool. I also highly recommend taking advantage of the fitness classes – pilates, yoga, zumba, etc. They were great and helped stave off weight gain from the delicious food.

Overall, can’t say enough great things about Club Med Ixtapa – with or without little ones, it’s a great vacation destination!

Room Tip: Recommend club room/suite if traveling with children - nice to have a separate bedroom for the kids!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BethM643
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear Beth M
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are so pleased to read that your entire stay with us, children and all, was fabulous! From viewing your comments, we can see that you were absolutely pleased with the child care available at the resort. Children are one of our top priorities and we want to do everything we can to make sure they have just as much fun as the adults! We’re glad you were able to get some much needed R&R, while still engaging in fun activities. Thank you again for all of your kind words and we can’t wait to have the whole family back again!