“new this year at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico”

Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Oroville Calif.
“new this year at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Our vacation was 11-26 thru 12-3-11. We want to update you on what to expect when you
arrive as to the changes at Sunscape. All inclusive, no more European Plan, unless your vacation was paid for earlier in the year.
We had the option to upgrade to A.I. which we declined since were not drinkers, so we paid
for our meals. This was our 8th. year to come at this time of year. The remodel is not complete yet but close.
The ice machine works great on the 21st. floor if you get my drift. Note the floors are now numbered 10 thru 21. Used to be 5 thru 16.
Water for our room 2003 went off every day at 5:45 pm for 5 minutes. My wife and I had a contest each day of which one of us could get in & out of the shower before the water stopped. We both lost! Turn on the circulating pump boys!
Last year 3 floors of the hotel were already remodeled and called "club rooms". We had
one of those with a partial ocean view. That's because a high rise condo was built approx. 5 years ago next door ruined the view for a third of the rooms! Prior to that ALL the rooms had ocean views. This year we were on the same floor but on the other side with a great ocean view. These previously remodeled rooms don't have the new "power flush" toilets yet, but I'm sure they'll have them soon. Also note plenty of soft towels,wash cloths, king size beds and new flat screen T.V. with DVD players.
Outdoor Hot Tub is new but the only "hot" was from the sun. No heater yet. Outdoor grill is new. Hamburgers,Hot Dogs & fries were excellent. Liked the tortilla chips too.
New spa and gym. New childrens club with uniformed child care workers. New trampoline, rock wall climb, and horseshoe pit. New coffee & pastery bar in the lobby.
All the employees we've met and enjoyed over the years are still here. A major plus.
The Del Mario, Oceana and Bluewater nite time menus are "fancy eating". Tamarino wasn't opened yet. Windows was breakfast & lunch buffet style.
We didn't go to the sushi restaurant next to the Bluewater. They rotate and only open two restaurants per nite. Maybe that will change during peak season. Personally we would prefer a buffet style dinner restaurant for those of us who are not the "fancy eating" types.
The noise from the open air RUMBA CALIENTE nite club directly across the street only kept us awake till 2:30 am on Thurs.,Fri., and Sat. nights. That was good because last year it was every nite. That's not the hotels fault, but be aware and bring ear plugs if your a light sleeper.
The beach and the pool area with the adult size water slides are second to none. There is not another resort on this beach to compare to the Dorado, and we've stayed at most of them over the years.
We also tried two restaurants across the street, Tabasco Ribs and Raffelo's Italian which were both A PLUS and very reasonable.
Looking forward to next years trip. sincerely Bill & Barbara Fox

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the full ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank reviewOrovilleCalif_
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Dear Guest:

First of all we want to thank you for your recent visit to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa and we appreciate very much for taking the time to give us your kind comments through Tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that you had good time and enjoyed the new complete Unlimited Fun program at the resort.

I really appreciate all your points of view about the hotel and the destination as well, your feedback is very important for us, and I want to let you know that we are attending all your suggestions:

- Water in rooms; we have finished changing Hydro system.... !!!
- Power flush toilets; we already changed those 3 floors
- Outdoor Hot Tub; we are working and will finish at the end of December
-Restaurants program; we already changed the menu of Bluewater and Gohan Restaurant to give more variety and included more buffet menus every week

The main goal for us is the customer satisfaction, and we work hard every day to get it.

We looking forward to welcoming you and your wife next year at Sunscape, your home away from home.

Personal Kind Regards

Jesus Garcia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2011

just returned from my favorite hotel, however, some of the changes are not so good. Italian restaurant - collars on shirts for men, long pants, closed in shoes for both men & women. Only other choice for food that particular night was sushi, which we tried (terrible). Had to eat across the street even though we had paid for the all inclusive. Not happy. Can no longer have a drink at the pool bar during the day without shirt with sleeves & no bathing suits. (Must be covered) Doesn't make for a relaxing vacation. You shouldn't have to bring extra clothes down to the pool! Even one morning were not allowed to the buffet without sleeves on shirts for men. Ridiculous. Some evenings there was no buffet, so you had no choice but to dress up for a meal that you may not like. Unfortunately, we will probably not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank albertagirls
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear guest:

We want to thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and we appreciate very much for taking the time to give us your comments through tripadvisor.

First of all I want to send to you my personal apologies for the inconvenience.

We really appreciate your comments about dress code and the sushi bar quality , I want to let you know that I have a meeting with the Food & Beverages manager to check it.
For Sunscape the main goal is the customer service, we are taking care of your comments, and will do everything to improve those things.

We are looking forward to welcoming you next year in Sunscape, your home away from home.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 21 October 2011

rooms under construction with smell of paint, light went out for several hours during the day, they are also fixing the pool area.

Rooms are clean and the price is more than fair but too many inconveniences for the time being.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chinchoman
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear guest:

We want to thank you for your recent visit to Sunscape and we appreciate very much for taking the time to give us your kind comments through tripadvisor.

I really appreciate your comments about your vacations experiences in the hotel. my personal and sincere apology.
Your feedback is very important, and I want to let you know that we finish all the renovation in all the restaurants and we have a new SPA, Kid´s Club and Teen´s Club.

The main goal is the customer service, we are taking care of your comments.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family next yeart, and give us the opportunity to show you all the changes.

Mount Carmel, Illinois
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband caught a Maui Maui and asked the hotel chef to prepare it for dinner. The result was an amazing five-star dinner. We have had hotel chefs prepare his catch before but this was the best ever! He prepared it both grilled and breaded with different sauces to accompany the fish. Potatoes and fresh vegetables were presented along with salad. Kudos to the chef!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LittlePupsMom
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear guest:

We want to thank you for your recent visit to Dorado and we appreciate very much for taking the time to give us your kind comments through tripadvisor.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your housband next year in this hotel, your home away from home.

Personal kind regards,

Indiana
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Second day here and many problems. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone! The front desk put my wife and I in room with two queen beds instead of the king we were supposed to have, at 10:30am. It took 5 trips to the front desk and until 5pm to get into the right room. They even promised us cookies for our trouble, which never showed up. When I got into the correct room, the glass door to the balcony was broken and would not close, so it was at least 90 deg fahrenheit in there. It took another hour of my time and two trips to the front desk to get the door fixed. Still hasn't gotten Below 75 degrees yet. Worst of all, there is lots of noisy construction inside and outside by the pool, which woke me up early today. They are building a gym/spa out right next to the pool, and remodeling a few more areas outside. They are also remodeling one entire floor and about half of the ground floor. There is a large atrium in the middle of the hotel that is open to the top floor, so the construction noise travels straight up and we can hear it loud on the 10th floor. We are going to try to switch hotels this is so bad. One star rating since room was clean and beach and pool are nice. Past reviews are good for this hotel, but in sept 2011 and after you need to reconsider, and call the hotel to see if all of the construction is done. I think even the lobby bar is closed and under construction. I had stayed here for one night a couple years ago and it was okay. But...never again. We heard that the ownership is changing in a couple months, and that Apple Vacations is taking over. Also, some locals told us that the pool is open to the public if they spend $16 (200 pesos) on food or drinks, and they were not staying at the hotel so I think it is true. Wish this could have been a better experience, since my wife took time off of work and made the expense to fly down here. Think about this one twice.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dan V
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Dear Guest:

First of all we want to thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and we appreciate very much for taking the time to give us your comments through Tripadvisor.

On behalf of all the Dorado Pacifico Hotel members and myself personally, we offer you a sincere apology for the inconvenience suffered during your last visit to the hotel.

I want to let you know that the customer´s complete satisfaction has always been our top priority. When we fail to satisfy, we fail in our number one mission, your comments have served us to take action in all points you mentioned to secure your satisfaction.

We really appreciate your understanding, also I want to let you know that I have a meeting work with the front desk staff to check each point.

About the remodel program during your stay we had, please acept my personal apologies.

I want to invite you to visit us again and give the opportunity to erase the poor image you have formed of us.

Warmest regards,

General manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Even though the place was getting renew the service and the customer service was still good. Wi-Fi was free, A/C works very good. Safety box was very easy to use. What I like the most at this hotel was the friendliness of the staff. They always had a smile in their face and a willingness to help.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank AnyK11
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear guest:

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family next year to enjoy your treasured vacation with the all new privileges of Unlimited-Fun® where everything is included

My Personal Kind Regards,

Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My wife and I returned to Ixtapa after 26 years of wondering what the little resort area and quaint fishing village had become. Obviously there has been growth, fueled by the hotel strip expansion. The Ixtapa beaches have been filled up with beautiful modern high rise hotels as well as condos here and there. The speculative market for second homes seems to have fueled a minor building frenzy in condos which for the traveler results in some very good deals. If you want the simplicity of a hotel room, with views, easy and quick access to the beach and a large pool sundeck with amenities for kids this is a great place.
Be warned, they are moving towards an "all inclusive" set up, which just absolutely kills the wonderful local restaurants and businesses, but for now, they are not doing that. The good parts of them not being all inclusive are that their pricing is not hyper inflated as it was at Las Brisas, our second stop. You could enjoy a beer or two at the pool with some snacks and not look at eighty or ninety dollars. The all inclusive hotels along the beach seemed much busier, with few lounges, and little pool space available. The local restaurants, walking distance and very eager to please were numerous and quite good. Our most memorable visit from way back was Villa de La Selva, and it is operating on a limited schedule. A victim of "All Inclusive" or just the low season, or maybe a combination. We had wonderful dinners at El Fargo, and El Suspiro, two great restaurants, both set high on hillsides with wonderful views and a fresh fish menu to die for. Western pricing, great service, and very few customers. El Faro began to have some diners after sunset, but el Suspiro had only us. We experienced the same empty, yet fully staffed restaurants at The Marina north of Ixtapa. Great dinners, no customers. I guess along with the slow season, that eventually the All Inclusives will deal a death blow to many of these nice dining experiences.
The hotel staff was pretty good, confusing at times as to did we or did we not have a reservation that we set up with Orbits. I think they make more money if you book direct with them, so some of what we experienced may have been a missdirect to get us to cancel and rebook once we were there. I'm only guessing at this. The pool had a goofy personal trainer type getting people involved in water robics and other activities, kind of distracting, but nothing you couldn't move away from and still find a nice area.
I would have to say, we probably will not be back, but not from the experience being negative, there are just so many other nice experiences to be had, and I'd like to think Ixtapa will eventually realize that a nice mattress makes you want to stay there.....Maybe I'm just showing my age.

Room Tip: We had a jr. suite, plenty of room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Brixy1
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Dear Guest:

First of all we want to thank you for your recent visit to Dorado Pacifico Hotel and thank you very much for taking the time to give us your kind comments through Tripadvisor.

I really appreciate your comments about the hotel and the destination, and the All Inclusive program as well. Your feedback is very important, and I want to let you know that we are preparing a complete Unlimited Fun program for the next Winter.

The main goal is the customer service, we are taking care of your comments.

We are looking forward to welcoming you next year at," your home away from home".