“Food was a disapointment”

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Food was a disapointment”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was my first 5 star resort and I found the food to be poor. I was told by many people that 5 star resorts have amazing food but I experienced different. Dishes came luke warm at all the restaurants. I had the coconut shrimp at two restaurants that came to the table as if it had been pre-made and sitting at the back for a period of time. When I asked the server if this dish should be hot and crunchy, he said yes. I asked for another plate and it came back the same! The Chinese restaurant was bad - phai thai, chow main and basil chicken. We didn’t eat any of those dishes so just had appetizers that night (sushi that was excellent) and called it a night. We decided to go back to the Chinese restaurants again to just eat the Sushi and Jorge the maitre d' was excellent as he recognized me from the night before and knew about my bad food experience that he came over and made me a dish that wasn’t on the menu and made sure the kitchen made the best dish possible. All in all, I don’t know why the food came out warm all the time… the restaurant had the most 10 couples. My partner Steve enjoyed his meal thou he eats pretty much anything and I like quality over quantity. All the other restaurants had the same problem serving pretty much luke warm food, no taste and/or over cooked. Overall the hotel was nice and the spa was relaxing.

Room Tip: Dont get a room by the pool unless you like rock and roll playing all day.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TONikki2012
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
On behalf of Aventura Palace, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this review expressing your observations.

We regret to know your perception of the food in our restaurants, you may rest assured that we take all of our Guests comments with the most importance and based on such, we take the necessary steps to improve our quality.

However, we are glad to know that this inconvenience did not affect your overall stay and that you enjoy our spa.

We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and always provide you with the best service you deserve.

Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Our trip (2 couples in our early/mid 50s) to the Aventura Palace was 10 days, March 25 - April 4. On arrival at the A.Cove Palace we found that we had been changed to the A.Spa Palace, apparently because of our king-sized bed requests and no kids ? Nice surprise as it would have been more expensive if we had actually booked there.
The whole resort seemed very quiet - they said they were at about 50% occupancy ?
We have been to several AIs in various parts of Mexico, and many things about the Aventura stood out in comparison. Overall, the food was better (not every single meal necessarily), the staff were as friendly (and seemed so genuine) as they could possibly be, the entertainment crew were outstanding (way to go Victor, Eddie, Daniel, Elias, Xanatt "Vanilla" - you work so hard to get us up and out of our chairs, and to make us laugh), the evening shows were the best we've ever seen at an AI resort - the Circus and Magic shows could almost be in Vegas :) We really enjoyed the band at the pool for a couple of hours on several days - we were singing along to their mostly 70s/80s rock! The servers are so terrific too - Sonya at the Spa pool really stands out.
The rooms are a little dated - my biggest complaint was about the crummy little shower head - but clean and comfy. Internet worked perfectly, plenty of TV channels, free long distance to call work/home, fast room service, beer, wine, liquor dispensers, pop, juice, and most importantly, lots of bottled water.
The resort credits were such a great perk too - did things we probably would not have otherwise - several wonderful massages, mani-pedis, dolphin swim (beware of very high prices for the photo/dvd packages - you can get the price down if you "work on it"), golf, lobster ($49 credits at pretty much any restaurant, if you ask), chef's dinner, wine list, silver. It was a little time-consuming to book appts in the spa, and the computers were down for a whole day, but we did manage to get most of what we were interested in.
There is a definite push to sell "vacation memberships" and we did receive morning calls on 4 of our days, but they were to "check on how things were in our room" and ask when we would like to have our presentation. They need to sell these to raise funds for the HR upgrades. We spoke to many current members, and not one said they regretted their investment into their "prepaid vacations". We were interested in learning about them, but did not want to go through the heavy sales pitch during our sun time, so declined. Our last day, we spoke to someone who is going to email some information to us (but he hasn't yet).
A couple of things we missed, although they would not prevent us from returning to the ASP - the soft Caribbean sand (none here, and we knew that ahead of time), and no Canadian sports channels (we hate to miss any of our beloved Canucks games). We found a way to get our games on our laptop so it all worked out :)
Of course, we also met some great people - staff and guests - and have many great memories. Til next time (soon) ......

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank my3sons86
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review about our resort. We very much appreciate our guests feedback as it helps us to know where we stand and how can we improve.

We are glad to know you had a wonderful time and our staff provided you with an excellent service; at Aventura Palace nothing is more important than being part of an unforgettable vacation experience to our guests.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you and your friends again.

Best regards.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Adventura is an exceptional place to get away from the hustle of daily life. They have a wonderful balance of daily activities, fitness choices and spa services. I'd like to recognize two individuals who do a fabulous job: Junior (spin instructor), Danny (day activities), Raul and Carlos (waiters at the Italian restaurant).

Hard Rock is taking over the property. I hope they only add to the ammenities.

Room Tip: The North side is quieter. Make your spa reservations prior to your arrival so you get the times yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank charsha7
Thank you for taking the time to share your perception on our resort, we are really glad to know that, as in previous times, you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience; our goal is to always provide the best stay possible.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you many more times in the future at Aventura Palace.

Best regards.
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My new husband and I stayed at the Adventura Spa Palace for our honeymoon 2 weeks ago. The resort is huge! It is so beautiful. The architecture had a Spanish influence, it was very pretty. The grounds were amazing! The rooms, a little small, and in need of minor repairs. The bed a bit hard. But the jacuzzi in room was awesome! Be careful because the "beach view" for us was more like hang off the edge of the balcony and crane your neck .. Oh there's the beach. I would not pay more for concierge level. We had to fight to get the extra amenities. That being said, the grounds made up for all of it. Breathtaking. There were many pools, swim up bar, perfectly manicured gardens that sweep the entire resort. Gazebos galore, it was nice just to hang out in one overlooking the ocean. There is no beach per say, but there are a couple coves that you can swim and snorkel in. Past those are a choppy, rocky ocean you can not swim in, but is breathtaking. The food was pretty good. The buffett was actually quite good, I don't think I've said that before. They don't tell you, but you can get freshly made smoothies in the morning and the Buffett and at dinner you can get a Mexican coffee which they put a table side show on.. With fire. Very cool. If we didn't see others doing it we would not have known. The spa was amazing. One of the nicest I've been to. Very professional. The salon was a bit rushy, I would skip the Mani pedi and just go to spa. The resort has a promotion going on for "resort credits" which you can use towards those services as well as a romantic dinner which is waterside. We did the dinner, it was nice. Bring lots of 1 dollar bills with you, everyone wants a tip and they do not give you change at hotel. I would love to go back next year, but they are turning it into a hard rock hotel. I don't know if I want to go somewhere so American when I'm visiting Mexico, so I feel this may be our only trip. If you do go, look up Edventure tours. It was the best day of our trip. We went to Tulum and snorkeling in a cenote! Don't go with hotel groups they are so large and rushy!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your kind review about our resort.
Your honeymoon is one of the most unforgettable experiences in your life and we thank you for choosing Aventura Palace to stay in this joyous occasion.
Regarding your concern about our transition, please be informed that we are in no way decreasing the warm and special service with is customary to our guests in our resort.
We are really glad to know that you had a wonderful experience here at Aventura Palace and we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best regards,
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The resort is very clean and nice. Our first room had a very hard bed that was impossible to sleep on but they gladly changed rooms for us the next day. The staff were great. They are courteous and try to meet all of your needs. Our biggest issue was with the food which was mediocre at best. Granted I haven't been to a lot of all-inclusive resorts but I thought the food was just so-so. There were only two meals during the week we were there that were very good. The best place to eat was dinner at El Greco and dinner at La Hacienda at Aventura Cove. The grounds are nice and well kept. The trips were fun that they offered and the resort credit was nice. The spa was okay but the staff didn't always understand what you wanted and did not explain things well. Fix the food and get better trained spa staff and it would be a great place.

Room Tip: If you find your bed too hard then ask for a room switch they are not all the same.
3 Thank cdcpnp
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
We are sorry to know your perception about the food and our spa staff; rest assured we take all of our guests comments with most importance and based on such, we take the necessary steps to improve our quality and service.
However, we are very glad to know that these inconveniences did not affect your overall stay.
We are really glad to know that you had an enjoyable experience and we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again at Aventura Palace.
Kind regards.
Auburn
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Highly recommend this resort. In the near future it will be transitioning over to Hard Rock. The rooms are wonderful now and I can only imagine them once Hard Rock melts their Mexico and classic themes together. Beds and pillows were comfortable. The resort needs a little TLC here and there, but nothing to keep me away. The face lift Hard Rock will provide will rectify this. I will be returning. The spa credits of $1500 were wonderful. We had five massages between us in addition to my facial with scheduling being a breeze. Highly recommend using ALL the hydro spa services. We also used the credits for a romantic steak and lobster dinner for two and pictures taken during the dinner. This was a very nice romantic vacation.

1 Thank freedomAuburn
We very much appreciate your kindly comments, and we are glad to know that you feel our warm and special service which is customary to our Guests.
Our main goal here at Aventura Palace is that every vacation will be a memorable one and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again at any of our Resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best regards,
Quebec
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The 1,500$ credit made a great vacation even better. There is no catch. We booked some SPA treatments the day we arrived, and went back later in the week to book more. Never had any problem. And it didn't take more than 10 minutes to do it.

We used some of the credits to go to Tulum and to go swim with the dolphins. we liked both excursions.

The ride from the airport was a bit long (80 minutes). No problem at check in. They explained how to use the 1,500$ credit.

The food was very good. Didn't really try the lunch buffet (except a few desserts), usually ordered a sandwich from the pool bar. Good food and service to all the a la carte we tried. One different restaurant was closed every night, but I don't know if you can find out which in advance (I only found out when I got there and it was closed).

No problem getting chairs by the pool. You don't need to get up at 6 to get a good spot.

The wifi never worked in my room, but worked fine in the lobby. and there's 3 computers you can use for free if you didn't bring your phone or iPad to use the wifi.

There is no beach, but you probably know that by now!

Would consider going back, depending on the price we get.

2 Thank bigbadbruins
Our goal at Aventura Palace is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you enjoyed your resort credits and had a wonderful experience during your stay at our resort.

We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and always provide you with the best service you deserve and have come to expect from us.

Best regards
3.9 km away
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!