“Not bad.....had a good time.”

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Not bad.....had a good time.”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We joined a group of our friends at the resort after they had been there for a couple of days. We were lucky to have been moved from the Cove side to the Spa side as it allowed for more credits to be used in the spa. It was a little confusing when we arrived as we were shuttled from lobby to lobby a couple of times until they provided us with our room. The staff was very friendly. This resort is huge and when we arrived at night and agreed to meet our friends in the lobby it took us a few minutes to figure out where we were going. I have been to many resorts over the years and I would have to say this one was a little complicated to figure out. We love walking around the resorts when on vacation so we like a large resort. I would warn people who have trouble getting around that although they have trolleys they don’t go by often as they do in other resorts so unless you call the lobby you could end up having to walk it.

The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. We were close to the pool which made claiming a good sunny spot easy in the mornings. The pool on the spa side isn’t that big but the Cove side is huge. We enjoyed the smaller pool as the service was excellent and a couple of times during the week they had a very good rock band that would play for a couple of hours during the afternoon. I also enjoyed the fact that they had plenty of brand name drinks….just ask for it. If you don’t they will give you the local stuff and if you are a gin drinker …..it will taste like bubble gum. We aren’t big drinkers but we did enjoy having a few drinks by the pool one day and with the excellent service I found I perhaps had one too many.

There is no beach and there is no way anyone would have had me swimming in the lagoon. They do have a bus that takes you to the Palace in Playa Del Carmen which is a very nice resort within walking distance of the main stripe. The beach there is excellent and you can eat and drink at this location as well. Just check in with the bell boy on your way into the hotel.

The food at the Palace was alright. Not the best I have had in Mexico but you can find something to eat no matter how picky you are. The steakhouse was my favorite. I think the rest weren’t that memorable. Everyone goes crazy for the Italian but we found our food was served cold but that was perhaps because we were a group of 10 that night.

The disco was the most lively I have seen on a resort. There was a conference for a local company for a couple of days while we were there so many were at the disco at night. We enjoyed watching them salsa.

We used many of our credits at the spa. We enjoyed our messages. My only suggestion is book early in the week to make sure you get what you want as it will fill up. We also used some credits for the dolphin swim which was fun. I did it because it cost me nothing out of pocket as it has never really been something I “had” to do but I would do it again for no cost.

Overall this hotel is good for the value. Yes they will try to sell you a time share. We just never returned the calls from the lobby and so we never had to hear the pitch. Are friends did and wasted about 2 hours of their time. They got a lobster dinner on the beach out of it but they didn’t feel it was worth the 2 hours they lost.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the resort. Because the hotel is so big if you are on one side or...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Mandy333
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
We are very glad to know you had an enjoyable experience at our resort. Our main goal at Aventura Palace is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know our service was up to your expectations and that you enjoyed using your resort credits in spa and dolphins swim.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you at any of our resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was our second stay at Aventura Spa. Loved it just as much as the first time! Love the clean and beautiful property.

Our room was in a great location, overlooking the volleyball pool. The only down side was in the afternoon if you wanted a nap. We could clearly hear the band or music from the main pool even with the slider door closed. I think the rooms are big enough. We didn't spend much time in there anyway.

We enjoyed the martini bar out over the lagoon in the evening. Great place to meet up with new friends after dinner.

We visited in mid February and the weather wasn't up to what I prefer. It was a little chilly and mostly cloudy most days. The pools were too cold as well. Most vacations we spend all of our time in the pool but I only got in twice this week.

Activities and the activities staff are great. We played water volleyball, water polo, blackjack, bocce, sand volleyball, snorkel tours...lots of fun. Band by the pool was ok. They played the same songs each time they came. Snack bar by the pool has made to order sandwiches/hamburgers as well as nachos, guac etc.

The spa is awesome, our favorite part. We each had 3 massages and the quality was great for all but one of them.

Our fave restaurant was MoMo No Hana. We would have sushi and appetizers and then share a main dish followed by the vanilla fried ice cream. We also enjoyed La Hacienda.

Interested to return again in a few years to see how the Hard Rock name has changed it :)

3 Thank smch916
Tioga, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2012

When you choose a place to get married with out having been there previously is a risk, however ASP was the perfect choice! From the beginning the the end our wedding was PERFECT! Our Wedding Coordinator (Karime) was so very nice and professional! Everything was timely and just so! Stress free,.... We got married on April 7th and spent most of the day @ the pool while the staff had everything all set for us!!! Pictures were perfect as well as the setting at the inlet!

Food was amazing!!! Always something to choose from at every restaurant! The wait staff, (Pedro) at breakfast is the best, always making sure that you are taken care of!!! Maico, at El Greeco was the same for diner....

The Spa was just as great! We had a total of 7 massages, a wrap and a facial and never paid a red cent for them! All with resort credits!!!! Make sure that you go to the spa!!!!!

The service at the pool was just as great as the rest! Our glasses were always full and lots of activities to do!!!

To bad that our vacation had to come to an end!

Room Tip: Rooms are somewhat spread out over the entire property. When we stay there again I would ask for on...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 416jkbr109
Toronto
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Aventura Spa Palace Review -Room was facing mostly beautiful garden, towel hut and a bit of the pool.
Don't believe the negative reviews, this is a great place to go to. Treat the staff with respect and they will give you their best service.
Positives
1. The rooms are great, well stocked mini bar, liquor dispenser with vodka, tequilla, scotch, whiskey. very comfortable beds. You can drink the water out of the tap - purified via reverse osmosis
2 Bathrooms well stocked, lots of room in shower for 2 or 3. Shower head not as strong as I'm used to.
3. The staff at this resort are really great and all seem to be very nice. Service was excellent where ever we went or service we used. We tip at the end as you earn tips... not expect them to provide service for them.
4. Food and service was excellent in all the restaurants
5. I think we missed the high pressure time share sales calls because we weren't on anyones reservation list. Yes, this is a good thing.
6. No bracelets (unless you go to other palace resort for the day, no towel cards or restrictions.
7. did I mention the staff here are really great. You can see them chatting with each, laughing and enjoying their work. nice to see.

Not so greats, but no big deal.
1. almost 2 hours late arriving at resort, there was as the pilot put it "A guy with engine trouble who was making an emergency landing" so we had to circle like forever. we couldn't land on the normal runway so landed on another. As the pilot put it "the goat show continues" we were on the tarmac for another 40 mins. as they tried to clear the backlog of traffic. No ones fault, well maybe the Americans for having engine trouble.

2. We weren't on the reservation list as was neither the other 2 couples. We arrived from Toronto with Signature Vacations. I'm not sure why Palace continues to have this problem. Another 40 mins of delays. So much for express check in.

3. Finally got to the room. No basket of fruit, no bottle of wine. Empty mini bar, no water. Bell boy said he would take care of it. Nothing happened.

4. climbing wall was closed. heated pools? I can't imagine them being any colder. Hardly ever saw anyone in them. Pool table room under renovation.

General Info

We used the resort credit for "Chefs Dinner" if you have seen iron chef then you know what it will be like. Very good. You can use the whole credit for spa treatments. Trouble is try and get an appointment. You will never get a couples treatment. Their spa system is like watching grass grow. Took my wife over 2hrs to make our appts. If there is no availability for what you want check next day. If you are there for more than one week you should be able to get what you want in second week We also booked the couples lobster dinner with credits. You can also use credits in some of the stores but you pay 11% tax, is it worth it? Not sure. didn't attempt to book golf or tours on credits.

Speaking of tours, if this is your thing, research it really well before you leave. Your vacation rep is there to sell you tours. Be informed especially when they start putting down others tours.

Free shuttle to playa del Carmen is tue, thu, sat Leaves at 0840 and 11 something returning at 4 something. Cab is 25-30$. Confirm price before you get in.

Lounger reservations system: there isn't one, you can use any lounger if there's no one there. I just move their stuff. I've seen security called for people reserving chairs and not using them. Ridiculous. I've seen people reserve themselves 3 loungers.. one in the shade, one in the sun and one in the water. selfish morons. Excellence Mujeres actually goes around and removes towels from unoccupied chairs.. Good for them!!

Further away you go from the pool the more peaceful and lots of available loungers and bar service.

Yes it's slowly moving over to a Hard Rock Hotel. You will notice the changes as they happen. A nice mix of contemporary radio music and rock and roll. Pretty cool, I thought. and not too loud. The buildings are named after musical instruments.

Rating: much better than Now Sapphire, but no where near as good as Excellence Mujeres

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank colinm44
Thank you very much for your detailed review and for sharing what you consider positive and not so positive experiences you had during your stay.
As you know is really important to us all the information that guests can provide as it helps us to revamp our processes.

However, we are very glad to know that these inconveniences did not affect your overall stay and you had a wonderful experience . Our goal is that every vacation will be a memorable one and we in Aventura Palace hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you at any of our resorts in Mexico and the Dominic Republic.

Joliette, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Beautiful Resort!!! Everything about this resort was fantastic.. What makes a resort popular is the staff and the excellent service we had it all. ex..Hacienda restaurant with their wonderful staff Esmeralda (hostess), Ismael Chin (the excellent waiter)and Didier Quintal(director).. we recommend this fabulous palace..

Robert and Lynn
Quebec, Canada

feb.24th to march 3rd 2012

1 Thank robJoliette
On behalf of Aventura Palace I thank you for your kind review.

We are very glad to know your expectations were fulfilled and that our staff helped making your stay a wonderful experience; we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and always provide you with the excellent service you deserve and have come to expect from us.

SC
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at ASP March 30 - April 9. This was our fourth trip to an all inclusive resort in Mexico. I won't go into detail about the facts (the layout, grounds, lack of beach etc.) because if you are reading these reviews, you no doubt already have a good idea about those things. Rather, I will stick to things that are subjective, share our experiences, and give my honest opinions.

Let's start with the good... The service is very good. For the most part, the staff could not be friendlier or more accommodating. Check in and out was a breeze. Most of the wait staff and bartenders were excellent. The spa is outstanding. We both had many treatments and found the facilities to be wonderful and staff there to be very professional and proficient. One minor hiccup is that my husband had a couple of "therapists" who struggled a bit with their English so were unable to ask if he was comfortable or if the massage pressure was right for him. I had more treatments than he and did not have this problem at all. I highly recommend Guillermo for massage! The entertainment staff was terrific. They worked very hard to make sure everyone was well entertained and having a good time. We loved the band poolside and wished they had played every day. The resort was at low capacity so we never had an issue finding a chair by the pool or getting a table at a restaurant. We liked the shower in our room – it had great water pressure.

Now for the bad… In our first room, there were these tiny gnat-like bugs all over the furniture including the bed which was as hard as a rock. Strangely, the bottle of conditioner was half used and the breakfast order door hanger was already filled out by a previous guest. The rooms are small and feel slightly cramped. They are also outdated which I’m sure will be remedied once the HR transition is complete. In our 2nd room which was in a better location and bug free, the bed was worse as it was hard AND slanted on one side. Our biggest complaint about ASP is the food. We had meals that ranged from abysmal to very good. The food at the poolside snack bar was terrible. One meal at El Greco was enough for us – my husband said his grouper tasted like chicken fried steak with cream of mushroom soup on top and my meal was nothing like as described on the menu. In fact, we often found that menu descriptions at most of the restaurants did not match what was delivered on the plate. The breakfast and lunch buffets were average at best. We agree with those who have said that La Trattoria and La Hacienda are the best restaurants. The mole enchiladas at La Hacienda are delicious! My husband got sick after a meal at Mo Mo No Hana presumably from the tuna or salmon sushi (the only thing I didn’t eat also that day.)

I believe this resort is overpriced. It’s my opinion that they lure guests with the implied value of resort credits. To me, it is a clear example of “you get what you pay for.” In this case, you are paying real money for the resort credits you get based on the overall quality that ASP is currently offering. In other words, for the same price as ASP you could stay at a much nicer resort with much nicer amenities and much better food minus the resort credits. There is nothing “free” about it.

Tips: Call the front desk each day to find out which restaurant is closed that day and plan accordingly. If ordering room service, order several items to make sure you get something that tastes good although breakfast is better than the rest. Never order “risotto.” It tastes like minute rice with margarine. As others have said, the rooms are identical except for location, view, and amenities so unless these things are a priority for you, upgrading is a waste of money/resort credits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Holly R
At Aventura Palace we strive to provide you with the best possible service, that is why we thank you for pointing out what you consider both our strong and weak points. Based on our guests comments and recommendations we take the necessary steps to improve our quality.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Kind regards.
Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Higly Recommend this place for get Great Vacations
We want to initialize our Review telling that we are from Punta Cana, we grew up here, and we Know about good Resorts, Good Stay and Good food (in fact, good attention too).
We get married on February and decided to go Riviera Maya because we wanted to know the other special place like Punta Cana placed on the Caribbean, who people talks a lot.
The travel to be there was very good, but the vacations there were more tan Wonderful and Great!!!.
The Resort is located in a very good distance from airport and the city of Cancun. It makes that you can enjoy not only the resort and this wonderful place, you can enjoy the city and many other places like Chichenitza, Xcaret, Playa del Carmen, Coco Bongo, Xplorer, Isla Mujeres, Dolphinaris Park and many more.
If you don't have budget to go to many of those places, don't worry, the resort have a lot of attractions and things to do (Like a Monkey tour, Snorkeling, Bike tour, Sports, Circus, Etc…), and you'll not need more money to do other things. We could enjoy all the Resort because we stayed there 6 Nights and 7 Days; if not we couldn’t do all things that we did, its too much to do for less days. Note: Don’t go without see the Circus Show; even Punta Cana have one like this.
At the check in, we thank that they was waiting for us. Was a good experience because they knew our names and gave us special attentions for be "Honey Mooners". They were waiting for us. We wanted to know the person in charge. Mr. Rodrigo del Toro was able, and gave us the Well come to Mexico and Riviera Maya, and had the detail to go with us and the bell boy to the Room. For us this was a detail of hospitality that makes the difference of other places.
We “Higly Recommend” this place for get great vacations. The attentions are very good. We felt like King and Queen.
In this resort you’ll get all of the things that needs on vacations: Perfect Location, Good Rooms, good attentions (good people), Very good Food, different activities during the day (and night), and a great Nature Environment for rest, and have fun.
We want to give special thanks to Mr. Del Toro; all of the Guys of the reception; Francisco, the bell boys chief; Hugo, the manager of Animation; Abimael, who gave us very special attentions on the Japanese restaurant (4 times); Victor, “Elvis Guy” on the animation team; Miguel on the Hacienda’s Restaurant (Best Mexican Food); Miguel “The Cheff” of the Special Dinner (was more than great); Arturo Perez, the PlayaCar’s Reception Manager; and all the guys of the animation team.
The complete employee’s team of the Resort was builted to give you not just Good Vacation; they give you the “Better Experience on Mexico”.
Just Try it!!!
Hector & Yemnisse From Punta Cana

1 Thank Hector_Punta_Cana
Your honeymoon is one of the most unforgettable experiences in your life and we thank you for choosing Aventura Palace to stay in this very special occasion.

At Aventura Palace nothing is more important than being part of an amazing vacation experience to our guests and we are delighted to know our staff provided you with the warm and special service which is customary to our guests in our resort.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you again at Aventura Palace.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
20.2 km away
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!