“Simply amazing!!!”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My boyfriend And I just got back from seaside suites! And it was nothing less then amazing!! We had a great oceanfront room! The service staff was incredibly nice! You didn't have to tip crazy, but it's a nice gesture! The water was crystal clear 4 out of 5days there only because a storm came rolling in on the last day there! The tides were very high! The nightly entertainment was great! They had the Mayan dancers, reggae beach party, drums and fire show, and bands every night! Something was always going on! The food was good! Didn't really have one bad thing! The drinks were awesome!! We never had to wait more then 5mins for a drink if we ever really waited at all, as soon as you were close to being done theyd give you another one or ask!!! It was my second time in Mexico and my boyfriends first, it left a great lasting impression. It was very romantic! Never overcrowded and most of all relaxing! The massages on the beach at night are great! Definitely recommend the tours they have we did the cayontes (underground caves you can snorkel in) and sea turtle snorkeling, and the Coba Mayan Ruins. We got to climb the 140ft pyramid! It's the last ruin you can still climb, also the sight of the were the Mayans claimed the world was going to end in 2012! Went into Playa del Carmen and shopped at 5th Ave for the day! What a great experience! We can not wait for our next trip!!

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank ElleMarie13
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I booked this resort as a treat to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. From the reception at check-in, yes you were taken into a room out-with the lobby to register but with a nice glass of sparkly wine and some nibbles to eat who cares it was quicker and easier to check in en-mass than to stand in a line at reception was it not, to ,service at departure we could not fault it.
Initially our room had what we thought was a damp smell, this quickly disappeared with a good dose of fresh air, the room itself on first impressions was not to my mind 5 star but my missus was more than happy, it was spacious, spotless and well appointed. A special mention to our cleaner, superb, the anticipation of finding out what shape our towels would be in when we had had enough for the day was overwhelming, seriously though a 100 pesos here and there goes a long way in the right hand. Directly outside your cell block, sorry accommodation you will find the concierges, there to help in any way, we used them a couple times, to book a special dinner exchange towels for the beach etc always always smiling pleasant and eager to please, fantastic. All the staff in this resort must have had a happy injection, from gardeners to maids to bar staff every one smiled and acknowledged you, the guest, with a hola, if only other hotel staff had their disposition. Right then a quick overview of EDSS.
Check In - smooth and friendly after an 11 hour flight and 1.5 hour transfer just what you were looking for.
Room - In my honest opinion not 5 star in furnishings but spacious, huge bed ( even if you fall out with your other half big enough not get too close for a kick), jaccuzi ( please fill the bath until the jets are completely covered or you may end up with a water cannon going off in your room LOL), serviceable balcony chairs and tables ( you must bear in mind that it would be impossible to provide everybody with new things every time, get real), large bathroom with oversize shower room big enough for two and under size shower not made for two (no problem with water shortages where I come from), large TV unit ( did you really come here to watch TV) mini-bar with soft drinks and beer only ( if you really want some hard liquor in your room they will let you bring a large glass from the bar).
Bars - swim up bars you could walk too? close at 18:00 so handy through the day, two main bars at either end of the resort ( about 200 yards apart), one where it is oh so quiet, I think it was called the undertakers or something in Spanish and the other one where you could turn the page of your book without getting a dirty look, both will serve you drink, take your pick, at night the main bar had entertainment every night of the holiday sort. I have been on AI holidays before and usually the staff do the entertaining and it's dire at least here it was usually a live band and a different one every night but if I here Sweet Home Alabama one more time I will through a hissy fit, this was usually proceeded by some form of cabaret act and succeeded by dancing music. Bang on, no thump thump techno techno, no teenagers going mad for it, just bang on.
Eateries - Wow what a delight, restaurant service every night, taken to your table, presented with a menu, glass of house red sir, too right, best tip here do not under any circumstances drink the house white, unless they have changed it and then I wouldn't know, it had the aroma of gloss paint having been left in your garage for a year and separated and mixed with real old fashion linseed oil putty and probably tasted the same, Vida Garden excellent breakfasts, eat evening meal once here and it was very acceptable, the Italian (look I can't remember the names of them all), went here first night, Valentine's, wife got a rose, they could do no wrong, food excellent, atmosphere Romance all the way, Mexican for me a bit bland a tad oily and that was just the waiter, if you want authentic Mexican tell the waiter and you will get it A la Mexicana, you have been warned, very nice all the same, the Arreciffe behind the main bar not my cup of tea had breakfast once and evening meal once, it was alright. The Asian Fusion one up the stairs now went here twice see, great service, second time had a long wait in the bar area (30 minutes but we knew before so not a problem) manager kept us ticking along with fresh sushi and drinks on tap, food excellent, brush up on chopsticking skills though,unless you want to look silly and ask for metal work. Sandwicherie for lunch time burgers, pizza, panninis and ices, can get busy might have to wait, it is at the side of the bar what is the drawback.
Also, in the interest of good marital relationships ongoing, booked a meal for wife and I on he beach to celebrate our love, awww that is nice isn't it, even paid for sparkly wine. Was it worth it, in my opinion
All in all food is very good,, portion size may appear small to some although you are not limited to what you can have, service is excellent from staff and best of all no troughs to serve yourself from, what a delight to be waited on hand a foot by willing and helpful staff, there is no drawback to this.
Grounds - wow never been to such a tidy well maintained resort such as this, absolutely minted, spotless hotel as this. everywhere you go the grass is cut and neat, paths are swept and devoid of any rubbish, not even a trace of the scourge of gum. All in all the grounds staff are to be highly commended. Beach area - definitely the tale of two beaches here, people mention sand bags, there are, there to create artificial reefs and protect what's there, keep walking, to your right as to your left you can leave your clothes behind and stroll au naturel at Hidden Resort Nudist Hotel there is a fence but it does not go out far enough into the see t protect my delicate senses from seeing old people in the buff, any way as I said keep walkingf a the beach opens up to a good stretch of sandy beach which gently shelves into the Caribbean, you can stroll out for 100's of yards so not too good for swimming plenty of fish in the sea to see though. Seaweed seems to be the enemy of the staff on the beach as they cart off tons of it every day to try and keep the beach looking good, every day twice a day where does it go? the salad bar? Any way you can walk along the beacj as far as the next hotel unhindered no problem and worth it the view back to EDSS is fantatstic.
Overall - if you are looking for a quiet, realxing, no kids, no surly tennagers, no bang bang techno techno music, no scrum down at the buffet troughs 3 times a day, no obviously drunkards ( I may have missed them), spotless surroundings with uber polite and friendly staff this is for you, bring your own romance or at least your own chance of romance, I vote 5 star taking into account the overall experience, I may be wrong but I doubt it. Oh and before i go someone said it rained and it did for the whole time I was there it rained for exactly 3 minutes 20 seconds.
Enoy!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view in my opinion would be spoiled by height of trees, swim ups look good.
20  Thank Phatboy2

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Very pretty resort, with beautiful grounds which were excellently tended and lovely to walk around you see beautiful yellow and blue birds and Iguanas. We enjoyed the choice of restaurants with no pre booking, and we used the bar by the Italian restaurant as it was quieter at night there, the food was excellent with lots of choice, our room was 2711 which did have a beach view and we could see the sea but with palm trees up higher it still was a lovely view and it was spotlessly cleaned by Pilar. There is also a wonderful peaceful spa, expensive prices so ask what deal/offer they have on if you fancy treating yourself. The beach was nice but uncomfortable to walk on as it was shingle type white sand which was a shame. We always got a sunbed but we are early risers. Our only comment (not complaint) was we could have been anywhere in the Caribbean as there is not a lot of Mexican music or flavour here which is a shame but it did not stop us enjoying our wonderful holiday. Thanks to Janet and Elmer at the bar we will miss you guys (and the Mimosa's).

6  Thank HolidaymadBristol

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is one of the best places we`ve been to. Ths staff, food, everything is absolutely wonderful. During our two weeks stay, neither myself or my wife felt any ilness what so ever.
We are frequent travellers and have been to luxurious places in Dom. Rep, Venezuela. Kuba and Mexico and we can truly say that this Resort is GOOD.

Food: Italien and Vida Garden, they are as good as something can be, lovely food.
Mexican and the Asian, both OK but not at all as good as the other two.
Arecife was rather average but you dont need to go there.
BBQ & Sandwicherie for lunch, wonderful.
There are no buffèt restaurants at this Resort and thats a major +.

Beach: Nice but small. No problems to get a sunbed. We spent all our days at the beach and had no problems with sandbugs.

Bars: Good quality drinks. Go up to the bar and order what you like, otherwise they will give you there own local brands and they aren`t nearly as nice as the original top shelf brands.

Staff: Can only rate them as best ever, 5 stars(all of them).

Room: Good size and clean but a little bit out of date.

We can honestly say that this is a terrific Resort with wonderful staff and amazing food.

We`ll be back.

5  Thank lundqvist68

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My fiance and I spent a week at the EDSS resort during the first week in February. This has been my second trip to the Riveria Maya, but her first. We decided to try a true 5 star resort, and after careful research and reading numerous reviews we ending up at the El Dorado Seaside.
The resort itself is beautiful, careful detail to the grounds, the beach, the pools, everything that you would expect from a 5 star resort. We went with a swim-up room, room 3501. It was very close to the swim-up bar in our section. The only complaint that we have about the swim-up rooms is that in our section there were too many trees, so it was hard for the sun to get through to our area of the pool and our balcony. The beds were comfy, and the bathroom and shower was enormous. Each room has a jacuzzi tub as well which is very nice.
There are no buffets on this resort, so if you like buffets you wont find that here. The food was good, but I was expecting spectacular from the reviews that I read. We tried all 5 restuarants, the Garden Grill, Mia Casa(Italian), La Caretta(Mexican), Arrecifes(International), Klay Talay(Asian) and the Sandwicherie. Like I said before, the food was good, our favorite was the Mexican restaurant, La Carretta. Breakfast was usually at the Sandwicherie, where they had omlettes, bacon, eggs, sausages and fresh fruits. We found that our favorite was from the room service menu, and we used this several times during our trip. We noticed that many of the guests were using this service. The room service Manager, Miguel, was awesome. One night we ordered a late night snack, they forgot our order, when my fiance called to find it, Miguel went out of his way to make sure we recieved our original ordered in record time as well as a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. He called our room twice that night to apoligize and asked if we needed anything else. He called back the next night as well to see if there was anything else that he could do for us. This type of service is what makes this resort so amazing.

The bars are great as well, with any type of drink that you want. We spent most of our nights after dinner down at the Los Cotorros Bar, located near the lap pool and spa. This is where we met Elmer. He was great, remembered our names instantly. He knew what we wanted to drink and we never had to ask for more. He made my fiance several different slushie drinks, some I think he even just made up. We really enjoyed talking to him about his family, and he was very knowledgable about the resort and the area. So i recommend heading down to "Elmer's Bar", well worth your time.

So if I have anything negative to say about this resort it would have to be the beach. Its not the fault of the resort, but the beach is not that great. In fact there isn't a very large area where you can actually swim. The sand is a bit rocky, and they have sandbags out in front of the beach to stop the errosion. We were told that it was because of the hurricane they had back in 2007 or 2009, can't remember exactly. They had hundreds of beach beds and chairs all along the beach and around the pool. We never had a problem finding one empty. We would walk south of the resort, towards the Grand Palladium, about 1000 yards, and the beach was beautiful. We swam here on numerous occasions. There were no chairs to lay on, but if you love to swim in the ocean this is where you need to go.

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic resort, this is the one to go too. It is not a large resort, and only has 280 rooms. We realized that while we were down there that we kind of missed the atmosphere of the larger resort. We also missed not having the option of a buffet. We went to Jamaica 2 years ago, and the whole time we were at the EDSS we were wishing that we had went back to Jamaica. Dont get me wrong, Mexico is a beautiful place, and this resort is impecable, it just wasn't what we really wanted. Like I said, if you are looking for a beautiful, quiet, romantic resort to spend your holiday then this place is worth the money, it just wasn't what we were looking for. The weather also wasn't the greatest when we were there, which had a lot to do with the fact that we couldn't enjoy it as much as we should have.

What makes this resort so great, is the staff and the service!!!! I have never seen service like this at any other resort that I have stayed at. The resort grounds are amazing and they pay attention to the smallest details. The restaurants and the bars are very clean and although we never used the spa we were told that it was one of the best in the Mayan.

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms are nice, but with the amount of trees and shrubbery it was difficult to find any sun.
3  Thank stonewall2001
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Dear Guest,

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just back from El Dorado Seaside Suites, like most reports the resort is very well kept and when the spa's finished it should be great.
My personal thoughts are thus:-
We arrived via a private transfer from Cancun (well worth the extra Thomsons charge) as once through the chaos of the airport we were taken straight to our transport given a drink and were off, we later heard the bus to riverea mayer waited an hour for people who never arrived.
Private checkin with food and drinks all sorted in 10 mins then off to our swim up room, again propably worth the extra as theirs no worry of not getting a bed as you have two of your very own plus cahirs.
the beach is as expected though i never really spend all ay looking out to sea so was not too bothered by the sand bags, if you want to swim futher out a short walk up the beach is the best bet.
We would stay at our suite until late afternoon and then go to the beach once the sun had gone across the pool, some people did the 5 am towel routine and reserved a bed and beach canopy bed but we always found a bed!
Kyaks and snorkle gear are all available for you to use if the red flag isnt up the pole!!
The resort is well laid out and it was generally quiet apart from a few north americans who were on short breaks and just as we brits do occasionally they let their hair down and everybody knows it,
but you could get away from it if you wanted too
If you want buffet style food DONT book this place as their isnt one (lots of complaints about it but it doesnt list one so why people moan I dont know
The food was very well presented but Iwe found some of the dishes very bland for our liking
and after two weeks it became the usual question of where to eat, but thats just us.
We used the local bus to travel to the local areas and thou they only have two speeds (stop & full throttle) their clean and punctual and just a walk up to the road is all thats needed
The room we had 3901 was at the rear of the resort just where the maids etc. came out so theor was a bit of noise first thing in the morning, this also had the filter unit for the pool which hummed 24/7 and thou not loud could be heard when it was quiet at night.
The birds will definately wake you in the moorning but they make some great noises!!
The room itself could do with a little TLC but was okay, it would be nice to be able to watch tv without having to climb on the bed.
The only annoying problem we had was with the people above us who were up at 5 am each morning and proceeded to march up and down the room with what you would think were jack boots on for a couple of hours, (god bless the Swiss).
The buildings are concrete with tiled floors so can be noisy
The only notable problem we had was getting the pre booked collection of our luggage to come and after three attemps to get them to come I had to take them myself as our transfer was waiting. it was a little thing to get annoyed about but the front of desk didnt really give a damn about it unlike a local concierge who couldnt do enough to accomadate everyones wishes
A good holiday for Sun while it was very cold in tthe UK.
Would i go back ? Probably not as their are so many other places to visit in the world
but its a nice place to go all the same
The lads at the Gaviotas pool bar would bring drinks over to us even though they had to jump the gaps of the pool to get to us, what a laugh that was
A big up for Elma and His family if you go say hello!!!!

Room Tip: If its a swim up try to get one at the far end as it seems quieter, if not id reccomend a top room a...
2  Thank vistee

Dear Guest,

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Me and my girlfriend visited this hotel back in August 2011, we booked a swim up suite for 10 nights and had a fantastic time!

Room

We were in block 41 of the swim up section, this was at the end of the swim ups and the furthest point from the swim up bar. We read before we went that swim up bar was noisy all day but we never heard it from our room and when we swam down there it was a very friendly atmosphere.
We paid about £600 extra for the swim up room as we have stayed in one before at a previous hotel and we loved it. Although it is alot extra it is worth every penny, nothing better than walking straight out to the pool with your own reserved sunbeds.
The room was very spacious and cleaned daily by the hardworking staff.
The mini bar was always full and if you wanted to change what it was stocked with all you had to do was ask your personal concierge and they remembered for the rest of the holiday.

Beach

Previous reviews mention the sandbags and how they ruin the beach, what a load of rubbish! The beach is beautiful and has crystal clear water, perfect for snorkelling. The sand is a bit sharp underfoot when you walk out into the coral so its well worth buying some cheap sea shoes before you go. Although it was always busy we never had a problem getting a bed and you can always walk further down where it was very quiet with loads more beds.

Restaurants

We visited all the restaurants during our stay but our favourite was the italian, the portions were small but the quality of each dish was second to none. I am a very fussy eater and was worried about not finding anything to eat but i think i put on about half a stone in 10 days because of the massive choice!
Make sure you go down to the beach bbq at lunchtimes, it was amazing. Burgers, hotdogs, ribs and nachos all cooked fresh infront of you.

Entertainment

We are both 22 and were a bit worried that this hotel would be for older couples and we might start to feel bored. But we needn't have worried because there was always plenty to do. There was a daily activities program with volleyball, water polo etc. My girlffriend enjoyed the painting while i was on the beach volleyball court for hours everyday. It was always the same people playing and you get to meet alot of people over the holiday. We didnt see any of the evening shows but we heard they were worth watching.

Staff

From the minute we arrived the staff were attentive and friendly. They couldn't do enough and everyone would always say 'hola' when you saw them. Make sure you go and see your personal concierge, every block has their own and they are there to sort out any problems or bookings you want to make.
Everything in the hotel is spotless, they even have someone going round putting a print of the hotel logo into the sand of the ashtrays! The maintenance staff are amazing, working all hours doing all the litttle things that make the hotel so special.

Tipping

On our welcome meeting we were told tips were included in our holiday price. Although it was not expected by the staff the service was so good we wanted to tip just a few dollars when we had meals and room service.

Overall if you are thinking about booking this hotel or if you have booked already ignore all the moany people with their bad reviews, some people will never be happy!
This will be the best holiday you go on, we will be returning when we can!

Any questions please feel free to email me

Tom & Sarah Portsmouth UK :-)

Room Tip: For a quiet room be in block 41 of the swim up section
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

0.4 km away
Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma
Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma
#1 of 455 in Riviera Maya

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!