“Great place for every taste”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Comox, Canada
“Great place for every taste”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks at this resort from March 12 to 26. Having been at several all inclusives in the past we were very impressed with this resort. Good value for the money. Service was very good. Hotel was at 45 to 60% occupancy when we were there. We stayed in the rooms at the south side of the resort-. it was quieter there and the empty lot next door allowed for a nice cross breeze into our room. The room was comfortable. We did have noisy neighbours but the staff dealt with them in a timely manner. There was a $3US charge per night for the in room safe-I think that should be included in the price of the hotel room. There was no fridge in the room but didn't need one as drinks are available and water could be filled up at the bars and restaurants for the few hours during the night when the bar closes.Some people upgraded their rooms but we felt the basic room was just fine.
The beach is rocky in spots-water shoes are a good idea. You can snorkel there and there were lots of fish you could seen in the lagoon area at the north end of the resort.My family enjoyed the sail boat rides-they saw turtles and flying fish on these short trips. The pools were lovely. As usual people try to hog the lounge chairs-even when they aren't around-reserving chairs is not allowed by the resort and I felt perfectly justified in moving belongings off chairs if I needed one and would encourage others to do the same.
Service at the bar was great and there was table and beach service by staff at quieter times which I found quite surprising. Brand name liquor and Corona beer was on tap I believe.
There was a good variety of Mexican and international cuisine at the buffet. The a la carte restaurants were very good as well. Gisela, one of the hostessess at the buffet was very helpful and pleasant throughout our stay. Staff were all pleasant and helpful even when dealing with demanding, difficult people at times.
We rented a car and took excursions in the area. Since my last trip there the gas stations have signs up advising people to call police if they are ripped off while buying gasoline. I think this has greatly helped to alleviate this problem from just 1 year ago. There are several beautiful cenotes just south of the hotel that are worth going to.Evening entertainment was enjoyable. The bikes need some maintenance and the seats were very uncomfortable.
As far as safety goes we felt very safe in this gated community and were able to sit on the beach without being pestered by merchants. We also felt safe on our trips into nearby Playa del Carmen.In summary I would highly recommend this resort and the Mayan Riviera.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter and the empty lot next door allows a nice breeze into your room...
2 Thank debonweb
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I took our 20 year-old son for Spring Break (early March). If you have a young adult that age I would not recommend this resort. The resort is made up of mainly families with young children and middle-aged and older couples. My son was disappointed with the lack of people in his age group. In fact, the disco only had a handful of people every evening. If you have a young adult that's looking for a Spring Break atmosphere go to Puerto Vallarta, they will enjoy it much more and it's less expensive.

The food was average. The Japanese rest. everyone raves about is just a glorified stir fry. The Mexican rest. was the best; unfortunately, when we went tried to go back there it wasn't open for some unexplained reason, so we ate at the Steak house and it was mediocre. The La Crepia was good but the milkshakes are small.

The standard room was average and you can clearly hear noises from the hallways. The hotel only provides one bottle of water and then you need to buy your own after that. The Gift Shop charges $5 - $20 per bottle of water depending upon the size so bring your own and refill the bottles at one of the bars where they have filtered water. The rooms were very clean but in spite of that I did find a cockroach in the bathroom one morning. Yuk.

The beach was average but still pretty. I knew that before I booked. We didn't have any trouble getting a lounge chair like a lot of people complain about. The catamorane ride was really fun and worth doing. Snorkeling was a waste of time for us since it was windy.

There were many bars with friendly bartenders, but bring a big insulated cup. The drinks they provide are in tiny plastic cups and the ice melts right away. Plus you will be making a lot more trips to the bar to refill.

As far as excursions Xel-Ha was really nice but it was pricey. The taxi cost is a killer ($29 each way so basically $60 round trip). They lock out the competition by having a gated community so they set the taxi prices sky high (it's cheaper to take a taxi in the USA). I think it costs as much to vacation in Mexico as it does in the USA so why bother. If you go to a tourist area in Mexico the prices are artificially inflated. If you go to a non-tourist area it's not safe.

I don't plan on returning to Mexico (after 4 separate trips over the past 20 years) as the Mexico price advantage is gone. International travel has become exhausting and time consuming. Hypothetically, if I were to return to Mexico I would not choose to stay at the Catalonia again. I would choose a 5-star and enjoy better amenities.

3 Thank rbpskp
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Let me start by saying that I poured over Trip Advisor before booking this trip, reading reviews and posting questions on the PDC Forums. I thought that I was going in prepared with knowledge of the downsides of this resort (namely the beach). However, I read the reviews and comments of those who have returned to the resort time and again and thought that maybe it could work. I should have trusted my gut and booked elsewhere from the beginning.

The food at this resort was awful. As previously mentioned, what should have been hot was cold and vice versa. I thought that at the very least that I could live off of chips, guac and salsa for a week if nothing else and even that was awful. The guac was fluorescent green (definitely not made with fresh avocados) and slimy. It had a chemical taste - not good. The Creperie that everyone raves about also had gross artificial flavorings (strawberry sauce) and the milkshakes were warm!?! Not sure how that's even possible. During one of the two nights that we were there NONE of the a la carte restaurants were open. We had to go to the buffet for Mexican night. I am still wondering where the Mexican food was...french fries and hot dogs are not Mexican food to me and there was nary a salsa to be found.

The beach is so much worse than I could have thought. It really isn't possible just to play at the water's edge due to all of the rocks. The lagoon side was too murky to play in. Yes, the fish are plentiful in shallow water.

The pools are fine, however there is only a small shallow shelf for small children in each of the pools. There is not a dedicated children's or family pool at this resort.

We booked a Privileged Suite. It was fine, musty, but fine. Being next to a busy construction entrance? Not fine in my opinion. Despite leaving a tip in the minibar our fridge was not refilled as requested. By the way, there are Pepsi products in the fridge.

The most egregious part of this resort is by far the abundant smoking. You cannot escape cigarette/cigar smoke here and that was the straw that broke the camels back. We brought our two children with us and people on the beach, by the pool, in the lobby, in the line up for the restaurants, would just light up and blow the smoke in our faces. As non-smokers this is an absolute deal breaker. You would think that there would be a non-smoking area at a family resort? Doesn't exist here. One woman walked into the shallow shelf in the pool where I was trying to swim with children and waved around her cigarette as though it was a wand. Really? We requested a non-smoking room as we have an asthmatic child. Our room had FIVE ash trays. This is not a resort for non-smokers.

If you are looking for a three-five star experience do not stay here. We moved to Paradisus La Esmeralda and had a lovely time.

11 Thank winterinns

UK
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon in April 2010 (can't select 2010 in the review box so had to select 2011 in order to submit). We have both travelled to Mexico a few times previously, having stayed at the Occidental Xcaret, Sandos Playacar, and the Riu Playacar. The Catalonia tops our list (although the others were fab too!). We did upgrade to the suites on arrival, but only as it was our honeymoon. The standard rooms were also lovely - clean, fresh and spacious - but the suites were just a bit more elegant in decor.

The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, and the beach is lovely. It is a bit rocky, so would advise jelly shoes for getting into the water, although we did manage fine without. I will be getting some for when we go back this summer. Never had a problem getting a lounger, but we did prefer the beach area rather than the pool, which did fill up sooner. The swim up bars at the pools are good fun, and there is also a really nice chill out bar just on the beach.

We enjoyed all the restaurants, the Japanese show cooking was particularly good. The Tapas restuarant was nice (but we did go to the buffet after; tapas are only mouthfuls after all!). We also really enjoyed the Mexican and the Italian. We did queue maybe half an hour or so for the a la cartes, but there was a bar and you chat to the people around, so an enjoyable wait - you're on holiday so what's the rush?! We tended to eat in the buffet on the Yucatan side, just because it was a little quieter and we preferred the atmosphere.

My husband played beach volleyball nearly everyday - the entertainement team were really good. Found them to be friendly, but not pushy if you didn't want to get involved. Really enjoyed the shows in the evening, although only saw a few of them.

It's good to be able to take the hotel bikes out in the local area - we took the short guided tour and saw more than we would if we had just walked round on our own. The Puerto Aventuras marina is lovely, and it is good to be able to see the dolphins / manatees. Playa del Carmen is easily accessed by the shuttle bus.

We were "lucky" enough to be stranded here for an additional four nights after the volcano in Iceland shut down European airspace! Can't fault it at all and I can't wait to go back in August this year!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flowermoon

Driggs, Idaho
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here and loved it. The rooms and the hotel were clean. In the evenings street vendors came and set up their stands by the pool and were willing to haggle for lower prices. There's a free shuttle that takes you to Playa de Carmen. There is a marine life park with in walking distance of the report. You can walk around there or you can pay to swim with dolphins or manatees.The beach was clean and plenty of space to relax with out being right next to another guest. The food at the buffet was average but the ala carte restaurants were all good. The activites they offer during the day are nice. I did the water aerobics and had a great time. The staff was always very pleasant!! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank aatraveler06
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 March 2012

El Albir, Spain
Reviewed 20 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself has so much going on and you can choose to do as little or as much as you like. We had pretty much decided that we would upgrade to privileged before we arrived, so when we got there and we're offered the honeymoon package at a good rate we took it. It wasn't cheap but well worth it. The rooms are much better, we got a terrace with a hot tub, mini bar refilled every day, room safe and tea/coffee making facilities, and a big gorgeous four poster bed and swanky bathroom.

A few small negative points.. The beach isn't great for swimming, but we used the pools anyway. The pool area and beach beds can get very crowded and sometimes a little noisy, but if you want a fun holiday this is the place to go. So many people just wanting to enjoy themselves and having a good time.

Lots of nice restaurants to choose from, slight pain in waiting times on occasions, but we ate a little later and the queues had normally gone. If you are in a rush to eat at 6.30 then expect to queue, leave it until 8pm and you'll be ok.

The scuba team are great and really helpful with snorkeling, kayaks etc. and the guys at the pool bars are super.

The spa is lovely. The evening entertainment shows are really good fun and the animation team really get you involved, but only if you want.

Puerto Aventuras itself is a lovely little marina with nice traditional Mexican bars and restaurants, boat trips for snorkeling and fishing and the dolphin centre. Playa del Carmen is a 20 minute bus ride on the locals collectivo buses and cost 40 pesos.

All in all a great holiday and a super hotel. We would love to return.

Stayed January 2012
7 Thank Bazzatastic
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 22 March 2012

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in May, 2011 for our honeymoon. The Resort is beautiful, our premium room overlooked the ocean and it was a fantastic view! There were a few hiccups, but nothing that we didn't resolve. The food was great, we got to go to the Japanese Restaurant, the Tap Room and we definitely enjoyed the Buffet. The best thing was the ICE CREAM (Coconut ice cream was the BEST!!!) I must have gone back 3 or 4 times on one occasion. (smile) Needless to say, I didn't lose weight on this trip. The beach is a bit rocky, and I had to wear strapped sandals while in the water, so I will remember to take my water shoes next time and believe me - there will be a next time!! The staff was the best! Thanks to all of the staff, you made our vacation a blast!!

Margie & Lenny G of Maryland

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
23.6 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
10.0 km away
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!