“Trip to Catalonia Riveria Maya”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Overall my stay was a good one at the Catalonia. The grounds were beautiful, the staff friendly, pleasant and helpful. We stayed in one of the priviledge rooms which are newer. You are really paying for the mini bar in the room and the fact that they are modern, nice and kept quite cleaned. The spa was really nice too so take advantage of the spa area. My only complaint...the food...not the best. By that I mean, no flavor and not much of a variety to choose from. Everyone I spoke with at the resort (guests) all had the same complaints about the food. I considered myself a foodie and travel quite a bit so I have had my share of good and bad food. Trust me when I tell you that the food was not the greatest. They should really change their menus around and hire different cooks. I would only returned back to this resort if I knew for sure that the food was better. I do have to say that the best tasting food I had was at the Japanese restaurant. It was delicious and presentation was beautiful. Perhaps the chef for this restaurant should train the others to cook the meals with flavor and style. The other thing is, the wait to eat at the ala carte restaurants..it took from 30 to 45 minutes. It is first come, first serve and you need vouchers to eat at the a la carte restaurant. After waiting so long to eat and then getting food that doesn't taste so good, is so disappointing. The worst restaurant in my opinion was the buffet, called the Brisas. The beach small but nice. They have free snorkeling and kayaking at the resort. We saw really beautiful fishes. The entertainment staff was so much fun and hilarious! They kept the pool area quite entertained. It is a kid friendly resort so if you don't want to be around them, go somewhere else. I stayed at the beach most of the time because I wanted quiet time. The only noise I wanted to hear was the sound of the ocean. Hope my review helps.

Room Tip: The priviledge rooms are nicer and more modern than the others. I checked out an ocean room and bec...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank auroravazquez
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this vacation extremely last minute, but still read many reviews before I made a final decision. All the stuff people have said about the standard rooms being bad - it's pretty much true! I have stayed at many 4 and 5 Apple resorts in Mexico. I would rate the Catalonia's standard room more like a "2 Apple". It was mostly clean and the bathroom looked like it had been updated, but I didn't feel safe as we were on the ground floor and the locking mechanism on the sliding door looked like it had been tampered with. The safe costs extra (only $4/night) and there is no fridge. I'd compare the Catalonia's standard room to a Motel 6 - and that's being generous. We immediately returned to the front desk where I inquired about an upgrade. They said they did have a nice room available in building 4 and we could come back in an hour or so and check it out once it was clean. Wow! So glad we upgraded for an additional $30 night. Our room was very nice and exactly what I would expect at a 4 or 5 Apple resort. We had a lovely view of the pool area and the sea. It was super clean; the fridge (stocked with water, soda and beer) and the safe were included. Some other people we met had upgraded to a suite and also said it was fantastic. I definitely think there's a bait and switch tactic going on because everywhere you look there are signs suggesting an upgrade. Had I been here with girlfriends we may have tried to tough it out, but I was looking for safety and comfort; my husband could not come along due to work, so it was just me and my 8-year-old daughter.

Americans are in the minority at this resort; my daughter loved hearing people speaking various languages and seeing how people from other countries dress just a bit differently. People were there to have a good time, but no one got out of hand. The pool with the swim up bar had more of an adult/party atmosphere, but we were on the other side of the pool area and it was never an issue. While there were children at the resort, it didn't feel like the place was overrun with kids. My daughter would have liked more children to be there as she sometimes was the only child in the pool. We never had trouble getting a lounge chair at the pool or on the beach, but if you want an umbrella or some shade you might be forced down to the beach area. I loved the smallness of the resort because I could keep an eye on my daughter without having to get off of my chair, so in that respect it is great for families!

The reef just off of the beach and the lagoon area were awesome! We used hot dug buns from the snack bar to feed the fish...very exciting to see the fish up close. Some reviewers complained about the beach. It's not the kind of place where you will be able to go for a run or LONG romantic walk - but I thought the beach area was great for me and my daughter.

The food was just okay. We are somewhat picky eaters, so take this with a grain of salt. I lived off of breakfast - I found that to be the best meal of the day - and crepes (at night above the buffet - awesome!). We ate at the steak restaurant the first night and then decided we should stick to the buffet. I didn't find the drinks to be anything special, but I was not there to get drunk as the lone parent. Very watered down when I did order a cocktail. Otherwise I was drinking Pepsi light by the mugful. When we returned to the US, we made a stop at a restaurant and ate like we had been starved for 4 days.

The "Animation" (entertainment) staff were great. They definitely get people up off their chairs and having fun. I was never bothered or harassed when I politely refused to participate. The staff are very humorous and kept us laughing. We were pretty exhausted after being in the sun all day, so we did not make it to any of the evening shows.

We found the service overall to be very good, from the front desk to the bartenders to the restaurants and buffets. We were always greeted warmly and treated well. I would definitely return to this resort with my spouse, other couples and/or families.

Room Tip: Upgrade before you even get there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank JenR8R
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel buildings are of an older style,tired but not scruffy,as they are constantly and discreetly working on the decor, the hotel itself is run to a very high standard,it is in a great location, staffed by the most conscientious staff I have met! It really is the staff that make this hotel what it is, put them in a posh building and it would be 5 star plus! Standard rooms are basic, but oh so clean! And do you really need all the extras to get a good nights sleep?If so then waste your money and upgrade! Air conditioning is good and effective and is in all the rooms. Food was excellent and varied, i think they have done the best possible job for an all inclusive resort. Loved the location nice and central to explore all areas on the peninsula, only downside for us was not having a long beach to walk on, and although I'd read that there was good snorkelling there, I was disappointed, but putting things into perspective I guess it's relative to where you've snorkelled before. But yes there are rocks and a lagoon to poke around in, and a few fish, and we did see a turtle. In a bid for better snorkelling we also went to Cozumel to national geographic marine park, but again were disappointed with reef and sea life, this doesn't
compare to the red sea! Having said this, we had a good holiday and would recommend hotel and area to others. Great to bike around the area, everywhere is flat and beautifully maintained, with little traffic to worry about.The nearby waterways and marina is a nice place to wander around, dolphins, sea lions etc and some amazing sea going vessels, one was called "Poverty Sucks" another "Winning Ticket".
Summary of our impression, lovely country, lovely people, lovely climate and lovely hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bevuk

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This review is a bit late having stayed mid February. After reading the reviews, we were well aware of room problems, so specifically asked for a quiet room and assured that the room we were given in A block was lovely and quiet! As soon as we went in, I hated it - wanted to explore so left everything in suitcases, bar essentials and shorts/sandals. The mirrors had brown marks on them, the tiles were cracked in the bathroom, the beds were on concrete blocks - so couldn't move them together. The whole room was tired and dated. The view from the balcony was OK.

We went out to explore and on our return, there was a truck outside with engine running - it even annoyed my partner who normally never bothers! We went out to have a light supper before bed - silence. Then at 2am - trucks were driving up and down road and even tooting - it was the service road - so much for a quiet location. We were moved to another standard room (B block) as we refused to upgrade. I'm convinced this is a ploy - give horrible room and offer upgrades!!!!

The grounds are beautiful and all the groundsmen so friendly. The beach was as described, and lots of people were snorkelling. There were a lot of jellyfish in the lagoon, but that's not the hotel's fault. We are early risers and often my partner went down to the beach at 6.30 to read and most of the loungers under shade were gone by then - pathetic! One group - French Canadians - had bagged 6 beds - eventually came to them at lunchtime and were away by 3pm. Outrageous!

Restaurants - food OK, but not hot! We loved the Tapas restaurant - ate there 4 nights. The Mexican and Italian were OK, but the lighting was awful - you could hardly see what you were eating and food average. We did have an issue at the Italian restaurant one night: we were dining with an elderly man who was a slow eater, the waiter kept trying to take his plates away before he finished and even put his main course down when he was still eating his soup! Not acceptable. Wasn't impressed with the Japanese restaurant - apart from the starter - as someone remarked - a glorified stirfry and what a wait! We couldn't book and go away - we had to wait there and sometimes standing room only. However, our main gripe was with the queuing at the buffet restaurants. (At El Mercado we were kept waiting in the heat while the staff were being briefed - well after the opening times!) Often in La Brisas, there were not enough staff and tables weren't being cleared quickly. Let us sit where we want and use the hostesses to help clear tables or get more staff!

The drinks were OK, but lacked alcohol - we weren't there to get drunk, but we wanted to taste the alcohol. Why do we have to pay extra for safes and for facilities - eg golf practice?

The marina is lovely and the beach there gorgeous, The bike tour was good, but the seats so uncomfortable. Take a trip to Tuluum - we shared a private taxi and guide. Forget going into Tuluum itself - looks very commercial - visit Playa del Carmen instead.

Finally - we used Jumbo Tours for transfers to and from airport - don't! They had mixed up the hotel, then the rep didn't turn up at the meeting he had arranged and as our tour company hadn't given us any info re greeting meeting - missed that too. (However rep very good - put info through door, phoned us a few times and helped us at the end of the holiday.)
Jumbo Tours had given the driver the wrong hotel again for pickup so was very late with result that instead of getting to airport before the tour buses we were almost last and ended up sitting at the back of the plane. Not the driver's fault, but Jumbo Tours useless!

Room Tip: Don't accept rooms at back of Block A
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jinty_7

Reviewed 2 April 2012

After a horrifying hotel in Playa, we were very fortunate to find 2 rooms adjacent for the last few days of our vacation. We found the resort very clean, and really very nice. The food was average for such resort. Tasty and satisfying. As expected they had no Kahlua, just the coffee liquor in a Kahlua bottle.. but that is strangely expected in Mexico. We enjoyed the beach. When we arrived, we were unaware that it was geared for families with young children, although we really did not have any issues with that, we will make sure we go to the no children side next time. The grounds were impeccably well kept, the staff was more than friendly and attentive. We got an awesome deal for a last minute booking, and we could not have ended our vacation on a better note. We thank all the staff for a very enjoyable stay. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan L

Reviewed 1 April 2012

The best ever stay we `ve ever had! everything was perfect, room , food , entertainments , location, weather. I certainly would love to return , i definetely will recommended to everybody

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I would probably give them 3.5 stars, but definately not 4. There are some important things to consider with their resort, I'll try to address by category:

1. Food: Average at best. Some highlights were the crepes and their mexican night where they have more authentic food, but otherwise their steakhouse, japanese, and tapas restaurants were below average. The buffet was good for breakfast, hit or miss with dinner. Overall though its OK for a mexico all inclusive. However you usually shouldn't expect great food at an all inclusive in this price range.

2. Booze: Average to poor. They pour a stiff drink but the quality of the booze/mix is not good. They have some top shelf liquor so you can get a decent gin and tonic, etc. However, more complicated cocktails (needing good vermouth or bitters) or those requiring a good mix (pina colada's, manhattans, martini's, etc are poor and somewhat undrinkable. However, the beer is good and they make a decent mojito. Again, at this price range all inclusive this is about average.

3. Pool/Beach: see the other reviews, the beach is not the greatest, the pools are average, but the snorkeling is good. Lots of shade both on the beach and at the pool, that is a plus. Not much difficulty finding chairs. Some drink service on the beach, but spotty.

4. Rooms: I paid for a privilege room, was nice, but small.

5. Privileged Service: JUST A ROOM UPGRADE, nothing more. They give you silver bracelet which means nothing. You don't get anything special. No better service, no priority at restaurants or the beach, no special seating, nothing.

6. SMOKING: a serious problem at this resort. Their clients tend to be more European and heavily smoke. There are no rules on where you can smoke. Ashtrays everywhere, beach, pool, etc. So if you are accustomed to strict rules on second hand smoke, this is not the place for you. If you don't want you children inhaling lots of it, find a different resort like Dreams, etc that restrict smoking to limited places.

7. Entertainment: Very good actually by resort standards. Probably one of their best features. Good daily entertainment and night shows.

Overall, this was a decent resort but as above has it's issues.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank buddytraveler78
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
0.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
23.6 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!