“What a great vacation!! (March 12 - 19, 2012)”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Where to begin! This was my first visit to an all inclusive resort so I don't have anything to compare it to. That being said, we absolutely loved this place and will definately return. We were booked in the Beach/Caribe section and upgraded to a junior suite with club premium upon arrival for $60 per night. I found the desk/check in staff to be very friendly and knowledgable. Orlando helped us and he was very professional. The room was a nice size and the beds were very comfortable, the best sleep I have had in a long time. Maid service was good and the refrigerator was stocked daily and we were given what we requested every time. The pool was right outside out room but far enough from the guy with the microphone so not too noisy and our neighbors for the week were quiet. The grounds were beautiful and well kept as were the pools and the beach. Drinks were a little weak but plentiful. The buffets were good, we found the buffet at the colonial/tropical to be much better than at the Beach/Caribe. The restaurants were good, we tried the Mexican, Spanish, Seafood and Japanese with the Japanese being far superior to the others. I did find it interesting that the restaurants were hard to get into and every time we ate at one they were less than half full. Not sure what is up with that but they must be limiting the amount of people that access them for some reason or another. Shows were great, especially the Circus which is a must do in my opinion. My daughter and husband went parasailing which they enjoyed. Make sure to take a trip into Playa del Carmen. Take the local transportation as it is safe and easily accessible. As for the safety in Mexico, so many people made comments about our trip saying it wasn't safe, blah blah, etc but at no time on our entire trip did any of us feel the least bit unsafe. Once again the media has hyped it up to be more than it is at least for the area we visited. We have only been home for a few days and I am dying to return. It was the most enjoyable and memorable vacation I have taken and we will definately go back.

Just want to pay a compliment to the woman that makes the omelets in the Beach buffet. They were the best I have ever had. :)

Make sure you tip when you are here. We tipped alot (maid, refrigerator stocker, buffet staff, restaurant staff, bartenders and drivers) and were very generous and you could tell it was appreciated.

Also want to say to take the negative reviews you see about this resort with a grain of salt. I saw some of the staff treated very badly by guests and I assume those unruly impossible to satisfy customers are the same ones who write the negative reviews. Keep in mind some people are never satisfied.....

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room in the Uxmal building. It was a good location and we faced the pool so it...
12  Thank Melissa S

Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is the fifth time that my wife and I have stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach. We visit every December and each time we have had an amazing experience. From the second you arrive the staff is incredibly friendly and well organized. The food and drink selection at the buffets is excellent and with rotating theme nights you don't get tired of the food. The beach is beautiful,white sand,crystal clear water and meticulously maintained by the staff. I cannot speak highly enough about the staff,they work extremely long hours and are always helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend visiting.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floor since there is less foot traffic.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We just got back from the resort. We were there from March 10 to the 17th, 2012. It was our second trip to Barcelo Maya Beach, the first time was our honeymoon, 12 years ago (the hotel was only 6 months old then). This time we came back with our 3 kids (5, 7 and 9), 2 grandparents , a brother in law, a sister in law and their 2 year old son. The trip was great.
The front desk was excellent, we were checked in within minutes, we got rooms very near each other and were able to check out the resort almost immediately.
The buffet restaurant was great. There was always lots of fresh fruit and veg, lots of selection for the kids and for the adults. The a la carte restaurants we tried were ok, but nothing to write home about.
The pools and beach were great. The kids loved playing in the pools (the one at Maya Beach and the one with the water slides further down), the surf was kind of rough for a couple of the days we were there, but that did not stop any of the adults and the beach itself was beautiful.
There were a lot of activities (informal and formal) that kept the kids busy, soccer on the beach, basketball in the pool and on the court, giant chess, beach and pool volleyball.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, we had no disappointments.
We will definitely come back again.

13  Thank Vince B
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I took a five day holiday to the Barcelo Maya Beach. We loved the outdoor feel of the buffets and walkways. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We stayed in Sayle on the Tropical side and were close to everything. We had a private balcony that overlooked the treetops of the walkways leading to the restaurants. We took a shuttle from the airport and stopped at about 5 hotels before arriving last at Barcelo. We were greeted with rum punch. The trip took over an hour. It is past Playa del Carmen and close to Tulum. I enjoyed the drive.

We did walk over to the Colonial and browsed through the shops. It was set up like an extremely clean Mexican village. I enjoyed the Mayan theme and statues throughout the resorts. We did not leave the resort. I participated in aerobics every morning at the beach pool. People from all over Europe (especially Italy) and Mexico were there. Not a lot of Americans. Very casual atmosphere. Most people kept to themselves without being snobby or stuck up. If you need a valet or butler to pamper you then this is not the place to go. If you are happy with buffets and are willing to go get your own towel and bring it back, you will be fine there.

After aerobics we would move to the beach. Fantastic! no vendors!!! no jet skis!!! Great waves. We rode the waves all day. A few days later the trade winds subsided and the sea was very calm, we got out our snorkel gear and could not believe we had been swimming with so many fish, stingrays and a barracuda here and there. Very large beach area. Nice long beach to take walks on. We did not make it over to the Palace. This is a large, spread out resort. But not as big as the Iberostar complex north of Barcelo. Buffets were decent. Nothing to really rave about but they did the trick. Not as appealing as Iberostar Grand, but satisfying for the price.The last day I ate at Captain Morgans buffet and after eating shrimp and rice I did get ill. Bring diarrhea meds.

We enjoyed the shows at the theatre. Dress lightly it was hot inside. I can't comment on the dance club because we did not stay up late enough to go. A full days in the sun followed by watered down drinks poolside always knock us out. I am glad the drinks were watered down because drinks and intense sun can put you down and knock you out of the game.

All in all. We had a great, relaxing vacation. Yes, I would go again. Insulated cups and snorkel gear are a must.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LIMOM220
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Traveled there in april 2011....and was the best vacation of my life !

The beach is amazing !
The staff is nice and welcoming, the place is clean but rooms smell humidity...nothing to ruin your stay :)
Overall nice place with good ambiance ! Good value vacation.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Chantal514
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I love the place, the rooms are excellent, the food is good, the pools relaxing. Great place to go with family, couple, friends, or by yourself. Water activities with no cost, like sailing.

Room Tip: We had one in the Coba building with view to the pools cause there is no ocean view directly. Was qu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaMoriel
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is my first time in Mexico. Everything about this complex is first class. The staff, meals,
cleanliness are all above standard. Everywhere you could walk around the complex showed the
care and thought put into the layout of the apartments and gardens. I am 64 years old and found
no difficulty getting about after spinal surgery because everywhere is flat. The beach and sea were
wonderful and we even had turtles swimming with us in the sea off our beach. I'm glad to go
somewhere that the local authorities are making huge efforts to support the local biodiversity. It was a joy walking to and fro the beach because of the variety of bird and other wildlife.
M. Williams.

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
6.9 km away
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!