New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Rapids City, IL
“Dreams Puerto Aventuras - Good for familes, not couples”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I will start by saying I can only compare this to Secrets Maroma. Both are highly rated. Both are all inclusive. Maroma is adults only, and typically much more expensive. Most of the differences were subtle, but they added up. Let this review be a compare and contrast for those wanting to know why one place may be better than the other.

Food:
At first glance, the food and restaurants seem the same. Several even have the same name since they are both Amstar resorts. The World Cafe was very similar, although we only ate breakfast there. Both had good service and a nice variety. Secrets Maroma went a little farther in that they had smoked salmon and other fish available on the breakfast buffet. the Secrets waiters offered Mimosas, whereas at Dreams PA, you had to ask or find it yourself. The Italian restaurant (Portofino) was supposed to be the prime restaurant, but we ate there twice and I was unhappy one time and unimpressed the other. El Patio, the Mexican restaurant, had a good atmosphere, but the food just was not as good at Dreams PA versus Secrets Maroma (could have been what I ordered). The best restaurant was Oceana. If you like seafood, it was very good at both places. Secrets Maroma also has a much nicer outdoor grill for lunch. At Dreams PA, this was very slow and very limited (burgers and hot dogs only). Dreams PA did have a nice Seaside restaurant that was good for lunch (the ceviche was excellent, as were the fish tacos).

Rooms:
We were in the same booking (no upgrade requested). Dreams PA did not have a jacuzzi tub (Secrets Maroma did). The Secrets room was about double the size of the Dreams PA room. The Dreams PA room also had a mold problem. We could smell it (strongly) immediately. After a week, it was tolerable. I mentioned to the staff that it was terrible on the first day. On Day 2, they put an air purifier in the room and told us it would take 24 hours to have an impact. I would recommend bringing some Glade or Febreeze. Looking around, one can see mold growing in room corners and on the outside walls of the hotel. It's a humid place, but they should handle this better.

Service:
First see the issue with the mold. Secrets PA had a concierge for each small building (I think there were over 10... overkill for the resort size, but easy access). Dreams PA had 3 or 4 concierges in the lobby for the entire site. The bartenders and waiters at both locations were very friendly, but language seemed to be a bit more of a barrier at Dreams PA. It was no problem ordering food or drinks, but harder to have a spontaneous conversation. All seemed very friendly and food/drink service were prompt and professional.

Resort Site:
Secrets Maroma is very secluded. It takes arrangements to leave the site and explore. Dreams Puerto Aventuras has an advantage here in that it is part of the Puerto Aventuras resort area and it is very easy to go explore the marina, shops, Dolphin Adventure, and book a fishing trip. There is an adults pool (out back) and a family pool (on the beach) at Dreams PA, but if you want a beach view with your quiet pool, go to Secrets Maroma. Dreams PA did have good snorkeling on site. There is a little tidal pool with many fish (fun for kids and adults) and it is a short walk down the beach to find other good snorkeling spots. It's relatively rocky, but there is still a decent beach area. Secrets Maroma is an excellent beach, but not much else to explore.

Overall, both are very nice hotels, but I booked Dreams PA wondering why it was so much cheaper than Secrets Maroma (both rated 6G apples by Apple). It's the small differences. Dreams PA seems a better bet for families, but not romance/couples. Secrets Maroma has the edge in most areas (food, room, ambience) but Dreams has the advantage for the ability to explore easily off-resort and try a little snorkeling without paying for an excursion.

I hope this helps people looking to understand the differences between resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms on the adult side are quieter, but no ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank cpschneider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

It was a great St. Valentine's Day cold February escape from the Washington DC Metro area.
Great service, great food, great room with a view and great entertainment for kids and adults alike cannot be find alltogether anywhere else but Dreams Puerto Aventuras.
I chose to go here since my wife and I went to this group's hotel in Los Cabos for our honeymoon. Compare to that resort this one is slightly smaller but amenities are far more better.
The service quality, food, and smiling faces of the beautiful people of Mexico will make me come back here one more time.

Room Tip: upgrade to the preferred group level
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank kunteper007
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have a bad experience in the Dreams Puerto Aventura I was at the beach and somebody stole my digital camara and my watch while i was in the water,they steal pictures of my vacations and my family the employees were not helpful toward my problemn even i offer a reward to the person that finds my camara but never appear my things I thought that doesnt happen this things in a 5 star hotel I travel all over the world and i stayed in hostels I never was robed there even i share rooms with stranger and nothing happen this incident ruin my vacation I cant trust anybody stay away from this place,the thieves in order to steal my things put his hands inside my bag

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NycMarisa
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we are deeply sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. As professionals in the service industry we take your comments very seriously and they will be passed on to our executive management team.

With regards to the incident mentioned, a full report was made at the time you reported the incident to us and every effort was made to locate the missing items. Unfortunately this incident occurred outside of our resort perimeters beside the beach of a nearby hotel. Contact was made with the security department of this hotel and a report was also filed by them, however, after an extensive search of both hotels the missing items were unfortunately not located.

We pride ourselves in guest service and strive for overall guest satisfaction so we do hope that one day you will choose to return here with us so that we are able to do our very best to fulfill your requirements and demonstrate the type of high quality service we uphold here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

Best Regards,

Harri Jones
E-Concierge
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was one of those times when I walked into a travel agency (Ovation Travel) and said "Please get me to a beach!", and they found me Dreams at Puerto Aventura which was exactly what I needed. All I asked for was to be sent somewhere warm & sunny, on the ocean, and safe since I was traveling alone. It was so nice, that I feel like I can begin 2012 completely relaxed and refreshed!! I feel like a new person.

The hotel (see photo) is lovely -- every room has a nice view. It's located quite a distance south of Cancun, but you'll want that -- being away from the more touristy and crowded areas. Dreams is in an area where the surrounding properties are private residences, meaning it is nice and well cared for. There are also shops and a small "town center" within walking distance.

There are plenty of day excursions available, which a lot of people took advantage of, but I didn't see much need to. Each day, the hotel itself offered plenty: pools in the front and back (each with a poolside bar and an outdoor restaurant right alongside), the ocean and beach area, and free activities -- snorkeling, ocean kayaking, sailboating, volleyball, water aerobics, and more. You can walk along canals to the marina, which is quite large and a good exercise route. Or, there are activities at the marina that you can pay for (various boats for hire, scuba excursions, etc). The "swim with the dolphins" center is at the marina as well, where you can walk by the areas where the dolphins, seals, and sting rays are kept -- quite a sight! And quite an experience, for those who take part.

I did, though, take one excursion in the middle of the week -- a tour of Cozumel. We went snorkeling along a reef, toured the island (including a crocodile sanctuary, which I'm glad that I didn't see before I went snorkeling!) and finished up in the seaport for some shopping. Any of the tours would make for a nice change of pace, like going to one of the three "ruins".

For meals, being an all-inclusive it couldn't have been easier. There is a very large buffet breakfast each morning with good quality food and everything you could want. Throughout the day, you can choose to eat inside at one of the restaurants, grab a bite at the outdoor grill (which often featured gourmet offerings like a wonderful paella), or very simply leave your poolside lounge chair, throw on a coverup and sandals, and have a nice meal at one of the outdoor restaurants (favorite: chicken over basmati rice). Each evening, it was tough to choose from all of the wonderful restaurants, including a traditional Mexican, an Italian, sushi, and "world" theme. Oh, I forgot: between lunch and dinner, you'll find the most amazing high tea served in the hotel lobby. Except that aside from "tea", they offer a liquor coffee made with 20% anise-flavored liquor that is set afire in a special manner that only a few servers can do! The nibbles of cakes are out of this world...

I found plenty of people to talk to, hotel staff included (all are wonderful!), and enjoyed shows on several nights. The hotel made quite the big event out of our American SuperBowl, with two giant screen TV's along with an enormous buffet.

I never found time to indulge in the spa and exercise facilities, because I wanted to be outdoors as much as possible. But from what I could see, their offerings were top-notch. And here's a tip: you can use your hotel coupons to engage in the same spa services at their sister hotel in Tulum. Hotel transportation can get you there, and you'll be able to enjoy the services as well as the sites of Tulum at your own pace without being on a tour schedule. I wish I had done that, but I only had a week and Dreams itself was a place that I just didn't want to leave...

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: The first floor features walk-out to garden areas, but I found that this invited wildlife inside; re...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Felisa2323
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just back from a week at Dreams! We have travelled all inclusives extensively over the last 15 years, and this is the one place I would recommend without question, and is the only place I will return over and over!
The only thing to remember is that it is a small swimming area, great for people who don't want the big crashing waves of Playa del Carmen. It is perfect for families with kids or people who dont want to fight their way into the ocean. That said, it offfers a unique natural ocean pool as well...my kids loved to snorkel after the fish in there! If you want a longer beach to walk on, just pop through town, go through the lobby of the Omni Hotel and voila! There is another longer public beach over there that is great for walking! Also, the town itself is totally safe and fabulous for walkers/joggers. I love to take my morning tea for a walk over and watch the dolphins and seals have their breakfast!
The food is above average, the service is beyond friendly! I have yet had staff that match the ones at this Dreams! We had small issues with the safe, a playpen and a leaking roof and all were addressed within minutes of our requests.
Some things that you wont even know you appreciate till you have it: no towel cards,no bracelets, no reservations, no saving chairs for hours on end, drink service on the beach, movies on the beach...love it!
Great little English riding club just outside the gates too for any horse people!
Cant say enough about some of the gems around this area, feel free to ask!

Room Tip: Great rooms in general! Great beds!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank nln1973
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The service at this place was second to none. We were treated like kings and queens the second we stepped off of the bus. It started with an ice cold towel to put around our necks and a glass of champagne with a cherry in it while we waited in line to check in to our room. The bellhops brought our bags up to the room and the best vacation of our lives began. The food was awesome and we LOVED the fact that we could eat at any of the 5 a-la-carte restaurants as many times as we wished throughout the week. The Mexican restaurant = Extremely romantic with an unmatched ambiance. The Italian restaurant = top notch Italian cuisine with extremely great service. The beach side bar was awesome beyond words, and there were two really cool swim up bars. All in all, we were at the resort for 7 days, 8 nights and there were still several things that we didn't explore at the hotel. Trust us when we say that you will NOT regret your stay at this resort. They go out of their way to make sure you're taken care of and that you're NEVER bored. Just a few activities they held the week we were there included a Mardi Gras party on the beach, an Oscar party, several comedian shows, and a 70's 80's & 90's party at the sports bar. This is only a small sample of everything they had going. Stop reading and start booking! You'll love it!!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank JayAndAnnie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was our first experience at this hotel, and overall our stay was pretty incredible. The staff was amazing and incredibly accommodating. We had a minor problem with our room on the second night, but as soon as we mentioned it they had corrected it and changed our room without so much as a second glance. The food was outstanding. We ate at everyone of the restaurants and all were very good. The only one we did not was the sushi restaurant as I'd read on this site that it was no good. Our friends dined there one of the nights, and sadly all of the comments on her I had read were true. So my recommendation would be for anyone to stay at this hotel for a great holiday. Cheers

• Stayed February 2012
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,319 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!