I will start by saying I can only compare this to Secrets Maroma. Both are highly rated. Both are all inclusive. Maroma is adults only, and typically much more expensive. Most of the differences were subtle, but they added up. Let this review be a compare and contrast for those wanting to know why one place may be better than the other.
At first glance, the food and restaurants seem the same. Several even have the same name since they are both Amstar resorts. The World Cafe was very similar, although we only ate breakfast there. Both had good service and a nice variety. Secrets Maroma went a little farther in that they had smoked salmon and other fish available on the breakfast buffet. the Secrets waiters offered Mimosas, whereas at Dreams PA, you had to ask or find it yourself. The Italian restaurant (Portofino) was supposed to be the prime restaurant, but we ate there twice and I was unhappy one time and unimpressed the other. El Patio, the Mexican restaurant, had a good atmosphere, but the food just was not as good at Dreams PA versus Secrets Maroma (could have been what I ordered). The best restaurant was Oceana. If you like seafood, it was very good at both places. Secrets Maroma also has a much nicer outdoor grill for lunch. At Dreams PA, this was very slow and very limited (burgers and hot dogs only). Dreams PA did have a nice Seaside restaurant that was good for lunch (the ceviche was excellent, as were the fish tacos).
We were in the same booking (no upgrade requested). Dreams PA did not have a jacuzzi tub (Secrets Maroma did). The Secrets room was about double the size of the Dreams PA room. The Dreams PA room also had a mold problem. We could smell it (strongly) immediately. After a week, it was tolerable. I mentioned to the staff that it was terrible on the first day. On Day 2, they put an air purifier in the room and told us it would take 24 hours to have an impact. I would recommend bringing some Glade or Febreeze. Looking around, one can see mold growing in room corners and on the outside walls of the hotel. It's a humid place, but they should handle this better.
First see the issue with the mold. Secrets PA had a concierge for each small building (I think there were over 10... overkill for the resort size, but easy access). Dreams PA had 3 or 4 concierges in the lobby for the entire site. The bartenders and waiters at both locations were very friendly, but language seemed to be a bit more of a barrier at Dreams PA. It was no problem ordering food or drinks, but harder to have a spontaneous conversation. All seemed very friendly and food/drink service were prompt and professional.
Secrets Maroma is very secluded. It takes arrangements to leave the site and explore. Dreams Puerto Aventuras has an advantage here in that it is part of the Puerto Aventuras resort area and it is very easy to go explore the marina, shops, Dolphin Adventure, and book a fishing trip. There is an adults pool (out back) and a family pool (on the beach) at Dreams PA, but if you want a beach view with your quiet pool, go to Secrets Maroma. Dreams PA did have good snorkeling on site. There is a little tidal pool with many fish (fun for kids and adults) and it is a short walk down the beach to find other good snorkeling spots. It's relatively rocky, but there is still a decent beach area. Secrets Maroma is an excellent beach, but not much else to explore.
Overall, both are very nice hotels, but I booked Dreams PA wondering why it was so much cheaper than Secrets Maroma (both rated 6G apples by Apple). It's the small differences. Dreams PA seems a better bet for families, but not romance/couples. Secrets Maroma has the edge in most areas (food, room, ambience) but Dreams has the advantage for the ability to explore easily off-resort and try a little snorkeling without paying for an excursion.
I hope this helps people looking to understand the differences between resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa is a getaway with near infinite pleasures. Guests of all ages experience Unlimited-Luxury(R), remarkable amenities led by spacious rooms and suites with lovely views, gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits and 24-hour concierge service - all wristband-free. Guests are entertained by miniature golf, complimentary greens fees at a nearby golf course, a PADI certified diving center and Dolphin Dreams by Dolphin Discovery, one of the largest dolphinariums in the Riviera Maya resort region. To unwind, Dream Spa by Pevonia(R) offers a generous pampering menu. For couples, the resort presents wedding, honeymoon and anniversary packages, and for business, facilities begin with the 1,646 square foot Playa Ballroom. It's all of this and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsforEveryone and Booking.com so you can book your Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Dreams Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Dreams Resort Puerto Aventuras
- Sunscape Puerto Aventuras Riviera
- Sunscape Puerto Adventuras
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico