“Paradise south of Hotel Zonal”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Las Vegas
“Paradise south of Hotel Zonal”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This might be my favorite hotel next to L'ermitage, Beverly Hills and W San Diego. The service was very warm and pleasant. Bottled water and fruit upon arrival. Note- pay the American Express $70 round trip from the airport and be done with it. Driver was fantastic. I arrived late and the restaurant still made me a made-to-order Quesedilla and Martini at 10pm. Pool service was fantastic. The view is tremendous and lounge chairs are comfortable. Got on the Catamaran in the evening. The bay is not spotless but decent. I paid a guy $3 to get a fresh Coconut from the tree and added Finlandia. Mmm good. 1 downfall, The timeshare sales team is a little pushy. Always trust my reviews.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank twoandfro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here from April 8-14. It took a little over an hour to get here for the airport. The check in process we quick because we arrived around dinner time. We were given room 434, and ocean front room. The room was nice, and so was the view, but we found it a little loud! We arrived to have some goodies waiting for us in our room. So after washing up we went for dinner. Seaside, world cafe and portofino are good. El Patio was not. Took 20 minutes just to get our drink order. After getting our drinks my food came out and it took another 20 a least for my wife's to come out. The service was pretty poor and there were a couple of other tables complaining about it. This was the only restaurant we had an issue with. Room service has basic options but is good.

so after our first dinner I went to ask for an upgrade because the room.only had a shower. The wife wanted a Jacuzzi tub. We were upgraded to a fantastic honeymoon room. 518. It was much more quiet even though it was still on the oceanside. Has a nice Jacuzzi on there's balcony, but it isn't in.a place where everyone can get a peak. House keeping came a couple times a day.

The beach is small but great if that's your thing. I liked it, but I also like somewhere I can run. Never had an issue with bratty kids....honestly it was mostly their parents being demanding and rude to the staff.

The hotel offers a free catamaran ride but you have to sign up in the morning before slots fill up. Make sure you tip the guy that gives the tour. Isaiah took us on our tour. Very nice guy. They offer free snorkeling and kayaks for an hour a day.

A lot of people reserved beach chairs in the morning....which you aren't supposed to do. Technically if you leave for 30 minute your stuff can be removed. We were by an old ladyy that took people's stuff off and sat in their spot. Good for her, I said. They hadn't been there all day and it was lunch time already. Anyway the 30 minute thing isn't enforced, just be reasonable. I would get up early and grab two good chairs and read a book until the wife came. A lot of people would reserve seats and leave, which I didn't think was cool.

Arely at world cafe remembered my wife name after our first time there. That's great service. The servers on the beach bring a small selection on food and large selection of drinks. Dont forget to tip!

Spa facilities lacked a bit. Our hotel room bathroom was nicer than the spa. Gym was nice but I discovered it too late...

Also they offered a free photo session that we took advantage of. We chose 3 and paid for 2. $30. Wish we had the money for a photo book for around 300 because he took some great shots. We do have some nice ones for our Christmas card though.

Over all a great resort. Id stay again but I think we would like a place with more beach. Very family friendly!

• Stayed April 2012
7 Thank Christian R
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is our 3rd trip to the Playa del Carmen area and we've stayed at five different resorts so I feel I have some valuable insight for fellow family travelers. Please note I'm kind of picky but positive and this review is from over Easter break so the place was at max capacity.
Pros:
Size. Not too big so you can keep tabs on the kids . The beach, pool, hot tub and bar were all right there in front of the hotel. No shuttles or long walks back to the room. Where are the kids? Just look around you'll spot 'em!
Fun. They have something going on just about every night from movies on the beach to shows like the fire and water (performers juggled and swung around stuff on fire - I was impressed).
Beer / Booze Selection. They had Corona and Modelo brands and even Bud Light which is nice. Had some decent liquors also - Jack, Absolut, Bacardi
Friendly Staff. I think the staff did a great job, from the bartenders, wait staff and P.R. Crew they all were nice (say HI to Junior for me).
Beach. Nice little shallow bay beach that is great for kids. Had a big inflatable trampoline and iceberg climbing thing which the kids loved. We were there to witness them spray paint "just for kids" on the sides of them which looked tacky. Lots of fish that come right up to you and the young ones especially when you bring some bread from the buffet. Snorkeling was also surprisingly decent as well.
Cons.
Food. It is just ok. One guy making omlettes in the morning, need two. Average selection. Buffets always freak me out and of course we noticed some unacceptable etiquette from our fellow guests ( licking the Ranch spoon, touching every cookie in the jar, etc ) but that is not the fault of Dreams. The Italian place was great but it did take a long time which with young kids can be a little tough after a busy day at the beach. Seaside Grill is not as good as I expected after reading other reviews.
Rooms. Requested and paid extra for Ocean View. Got third floor which faces the ocean but you won't see it. Palm trees block the way or the falapa roofs from the sushi restaurant are if you are over with the several rooms that share a large and poorly partitioned deck space. Great view of the pool but that's not what I paid for. If you go do not accept a third floor ocean view and try to nail this down before you arrive. We also noticed inconsistencies from our rooms (we switched from the sushi view room) and our friends rooms. Some had decent balcony chairs, some super junky and all were plastic and cheap. Some had slippers, some had couches, some had shower curtains with mold, some had no shower curtain at all!
Tips:
Like I mentioned try to nail down your oceanfront room before you arrive as the third floor is not ocean view. I'd also stay away from the ground level rooms especially by the Bar. It seemed a little noisy and I do have to admit seeing someone bring back up their tequila shot into someone's little yard area.
Swing Bar and Tide Pool area was really cool. Hardly anyone ventures over there and it is a hidden gem. Right on the ocean with swing seats and a not so busy bar was perfect! exploring the small tide pool revealed shrimp, hermit crabs, fish and a whole bunch of neat little sea creatures. Even had a visit from an iguana there. Go there.
Book adventures through Olympus tours downstairs and you will save money. We got a private tour to Tulum and a private van to Xel Ha for less than the apple group tour.
Word is Apple Vacations owns the place which explains the decidedly undeserved 6 golden apple status ( go figure). Dreams is nice but that rating should be reserved for the truly finer resorts like the Fairmont Mayakoba and Barcelo Maya Palace.
Conclusion: Nice fun stress free vacation for the whole family but there are areas for improvement. There are better places and better values. Apple Vacations pushes this place but you could do better.

Room Tip: Oceans view rooms are on the fourth floor and higher otherwise all you'll see is the fools by th...
10 Thank suiteleaf
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We went to Dreams Puerto Aventuras April 7-15 as a young couple, and we enjoyed everything except some stuff. We arrived and were given cold towels and champane so it felt really good to be welcomed like that. We got our room not long after and went to eat. The thing we did not like is the service at the World Cafe (buffet), expecially if you go there at lunch time or dinner time. But we only went there for dinner the first night on the day we arrived, we got our food and sat at our table and started eating and no one was walking around us to bring us water and order drinks. We ate half or our meals already and still no one came, so we had to call someone to pour us waters and my husband went to the bar to get us drinks. So the water and beverages service at the buffet really sucks, its slow......and they barelly check on you. At the restaurants on the other hand the service is great. One time for lunch at a Seaside Grill we had to wait forever for our food and drinks and they weren't even busy......but other times it was good. The best for lunch time is to order food to the beach from Seaside grill or get your self a hamburget, that way you get the food fast, we did that all the time except for one time. And when you order to the beach they get it to you faster then if you go and sit at the table and order there. The beach is nice, I really liked it because it was calm water and lots of pretty fish, we fed the fish, it was fun. You if want for it to be deep and take a long swim excercise this is not for you. This one is just to dip in the water relax, lay on the water, have your coctail, snorkle and enjoy. To get the chairs in the shade was hard if you go to the beach later in the morning, but there is plenty chairs on the sun. We really liked all the food at the restaurants, we went to all reastaraunts, the only one we did not like was Sushi bar, the sushi they have are very simple and do not taste like good quality sushi, maybe tastes like the ones you would buy at the store. We liked the adult side pool and the Oceana restaraunt they have really good meal with big shrimps its called Shellfish Caserole, other restaraurants don't have any meals with shrimps. They do really good desserts with demonstration of fire in the Mexican Restaurant and Oceana. There was allot of kids but they didn't bother us since they were mainly in the main pool or in the ocean where the slide for kids was, and the rest of the ocean was clear for adults and the adults pool. We had a Marina view room on the 4th floor and it was quiet from the balcony side because it was facing adults area and marina but each morning it was noisy from the hotel rooms and children running and screaming early in the morning and on the floor above us the maids would stard cleaning rooms like at 7-8 in the morning and moving everything and vacuuming so that was annoying as we like to sleep in to late morning. Everything else was good, there was allot of weddings so it was fun to watch. Oh one really suck thing is that this hotel does not offer free wifi, we traveled to 5 all inclusive hotels before and all of them offerred free wifi throughout their whole property and here you had to pay and its expensive and slow. Its $10 per hour or $60 per week, we paid for the week and went to our room and the connection was really poor, we wanted to talk on skype and it kept breaking up on us that we could not even talk to my mom because she would not hear me or I would not hear ner and the words would statter....so we went to the lobby and its a little better but still I had to ask her twice for what it is she said. So we went to concierge and asked for a refund, and after a day they returned our money. Otherwise we enjoyed it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kroshichka
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I would say this resort is nice - but not great. We have been to many all-inclusives throughout Mexico and the Carribean, and this one was okay. We usually go to adults-only, but came to Dreams since it was our family vacation.The grounds were beautiful. I did think the service was very inconsistent and was not nearly as exceptional as I read on tripadvisor reviews before departing. Our beach drink server, Bernardo, was excpetional; yet, we would get slow and rude service at the swim-up bar. The food was good. Service in the reataurants was great. It was frustrating that our room was not ready at check-in time. As with every other room we have stayed in at a Carribean resort, it is very noisy in your room. It is because of all the beautiful tile. You can hear every voice and door slam; however, we just put a white noise app on our iphone and put it on our docking station. If you turn it up loud enough, it drowns out the noise! We ended up really needing the white noise since we had some drunks next door shouting and yelling at all hours of the night, waking our children. My daughter us slipped and fell because the floor was so slippery in the bathroom while one of us was showering. The drainage system is very odd and, IMO, dangerous. The water from your shower drains out of the tub and onto the floor of the bathroom into a drain. So, if you have children, make sure the are not around that area while you are trying to shower! We got an 80 minute massage in the spa (too windy to get it oceanside), and it was fabulous. My son (2.5) was too young for the children's center and the beach activities were closed for 3 days due to wind, so he got a bit bored after a few days. The pool was not heated, so we were limited to the hot tub. Overall, it was a good trip but we would not return and do not feel it was worth the price.

1 Thank Susanne O
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is my first review of any hotel. That should say something because I have been to many other resorts before. Dreams Puerto Aventuras(DPA for short) has inspired me to not only write a review but, to go back to the resort 10 months later.
Let's start with food and drink. There are many places to eat at DPA. Whether you are looking for buffet or À La Carte, DPA has got it. I would personally recommend the sushi restaurant located by the family pool. Even further more, the spicy tuna rolls. The main Budfet has lots of different types of food to choose from. I noticed that the food never really cycled day by day, although there were everyone's favorites daily Eg bacon, hashbrowns, pizza, ect. Other À La Carte restaurants include seafood, steak, and Mexican. 5 bars are conveniently placed at all parts of the resort. At night, they set up a martini bar that is very exceptional. Unfortunately, it's only at night. Along side the martini bar DPA will have a live performer playing piano or miscellaneous brass instruments.
Other things to do at the resort are snorkeling, SCUBA, kayaking, sailing, aerobics, water trampoline, water wall climbing, and laying on your a$$ drinking on the beach. Bring a football or ball glove and enjoy the room the beach offers to toss a ball. The folks at the dive shop are phenomenal. They will asisst you with any water activities offered. The adult pool is very quiet and does get a lot of sun even though it's on the other side of the hotel as the beach. There is a lovely lagoon perfect for beginner snorkelers as the water is only 5 1/2 ft deep and very calm. We saw fish and crabs in the lagoon. No crabs elsewhere other than the water. I'm talking about sand crabs. Gross. Anyway, DPA is located at a marina where the ladies and kids can shop and swim with dolphins. While there are restaurants that are right next to the water so the non shoppers/swimmers can enjoy liquid and fish in another way.
I don't want to ramble so I will sum it up. VERY good hotel for families and couples too. It offers a lot of fun activities day and night and brings the shopping to the resort 1-3 times a week at night. It's a bit pricy but no amount if money could bring me that experience elsewhere. Or that many drinks........
DryersDestinations.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank DryersDestinations
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed at Dreams Puerto Aventuras April 7-14 and it was a truly wonderful vacation. We are a couple with a 4 year-old son and this resort offers the perfect mix of activities for children and adults.

Rooms: We were in suite 109, which was a lovely ground-floor room with a king-sized bed overlooking the marina. The bed was sooooooooooo comfortable. The terrace was HUGE and perfect for putting the little boy to bed and then spending the night reading and having some wine under the stars. And it was blissfully quiet - I can't imagine a room facing the ocean with the noise from the pool and bar starting at 9:00 am and continuing with beach shows/movies well past 10:00 pm. We had ordered a roll-away cot but didn't need it; when you take the pillows off the couch in the room it is long and deep enough for a child between 2-5 years. Great marble bathroom. The shower issue mentioned in other posts is just ridiculous. Put a towel at the ledge and aim the shower head away from the door! Mini fridge may not have been stocked perfectly every day but all you had to do was ask, and you were brought whatever you wanted.

Staff: Simply delightful. We did not meet one person the entire vacation who wasn't totally pleasant and willing to help with anything you needed. We have been a number of spots in the Caribbean and the staff here were - bar none - the best group of people we've encountered.

Food: Overall, very good. We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast. Juan the maitre'd is just AWESOME. The first night we arrived we needed some food in our room for a late dinner but our boy was asleep so we didn't want to order room service and have the knock wake him up. Juan fixed us up. Arely the hostess was SO very sweet. We ate everywhere but Gohan sushi bar, if only because their menu had eight items on it, all of which we could get back in Canada. Best by far is Portofino. Didn't have a bad meal there once. Oceana, El Patio and Seaside Grill were good. Avoid the flank steak at all costs. We had it at El Patio and Seaside Grill and both were inedible. Filet mignon at Portofino was nice but just be aware that if you order rare it's more like medium. Still, delicious. Be sure to check the daily listing of what is open and when - it's different than the information in the room and the daily guide is more accurate. Also ordered room service a number of times and it was excellent.

Explorers' Club: Simply great. The entire staff are lovely women who truly care about the children. We had Sarai babysit our boy two nights and she was lovely. They have great activities lined up for the children every day - even an Easter egg hunt and real bunnies on Easter Sunday! We had zero concerns about leaving our child there, and the pager system is phenomenal.

Hotel location: Puerto Aventuras is a lovely and incredibly safe gated community with a little pedestrian area and Dolphinarium if you want to swim with dolphins. The hotel is in a horseshoe bay, which is phenomenal for shallow ocean swimming with few waves. Again, great for kids. The beach isn't huge, but so what? There's enough room for everyone. And the coral rocks around the resort are actually really cool and reminded us of the rocky seas of the east coast. The tidal pool was also a huge bonus for us; it was so neat to swim amongst tropical fish in a calm little pool. My only qualm with the overall location is that it was a little far (1 hr 15 mins) from the airport.

Excursions: I did a Catamaya catamaran/snorkelling tour, which was $85 for 4 hours on a boat. Only 45 minutes of that was snorkelling. A bit of a disappointment. Next time I'll find a local to take me to Akumal.

So...in conclusion...

You MUST go here if: you are a slightly more discriminating family with child(ren) who loves to spend a week being pampered and having your children being treated by the staff as if they were their own.

You should stay away if: you want to party all the time, if you don't like being around kids, if your vacation requires long walks/jogs along the beach every day or easy access to a bustling town.

If you are in the "MUST" category above, just go. You will not regret it. We are seriously looking into other Dreams properties for our next family vacation south.

Room Tip: Definitely go to the marina side if you value peace and quiet! Rooms in 101-123 wing are great.
11 Thank JMDB999
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,365 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!