Where to start...
1. Reception/staff helpfulness and consistency
First lets begin at the check in, I was traveling with a wedding party. Upon check in, we asked to be moved to a non ground floor room based on reviews that I had read (we were the first to check in) and told that we could not change rooms, HOWEVER friends traveling with us could change their room and they checked in 20 people behind us???
I had an information sheet from Air Transat that said as a group we would receive free internet access, I saw the information desk gentlemen give this 'deal' to the person in front of me in line, when I approached to receive it, even with my proper information was told I could not have it. I was also told that PREMIUM means nothing at all!!! (Barcelo Maya Colonial Premium Resort) just an extra word to make you think things would be nice here.
Upon accessing my room, I could not get over the overwhelming smell of mold. I proceeded to to my normal safety checks which included checking the locks of the patio doors to my ground level room. Surprise, they did not work. We called reception, asked for another room with a locking door...told we could not change rooms, and waited over an hour for a service person to come to the room. Once there he told us NON of the lock to the patios work in all of the hotel!!! WHAT??? So then he 'rigged' up something to make it so the door lock, lone be hold in discussing with my friends...the patio doors DO NOT WORK!! Anyone can break in and steal you stuff at this place!!!!!
Back to the room, there is an inadequate air conditioner and I spent a week sleeping in a bed that felt like someone had urinated in it, it was so damp....it was an awful awful feeling!
Two days into our stay we received a knock at the door, it as another Canadian couple who had been staying in our room the day we were checked into it...they thought they might have left something in it...they had asked to be moved out of this room as the mold and moisture they thought were at levels too unsafe for their children! This further lead to my anger...as I had already asked several times to be moved and treatment for each individual was so random...
If you asked someone a question you may or may not get an answer that makes sense (noone here knows what they are talking about) and you may or may not ...prob not get a call back on any issue.
2. The A La Carte restaurants were horrendous!! I say eat at the buffet!! OR book the Palace restaurants and pay a little extra, if I hadn't been here for a friends wedding I would have!
3. One day while I was there, I slipped and feel on the wet tiled floor and dislocated my patella!! Luckily, everyone traveling with me was a health care professional. I did not receive help or any sort, not even an "are you ok?" from the staff at this place!! RIDICULOUS! by this point however it as probably a good thing.
4. The issue with the beach towel....my oh my.....If you want a beach towel here be prepared to work for it. In the room, there were 2 beach towels, with a card on top of them stating " do not removed towels from room" OK so I didn't. I spent an hour looking for a place to get a beach towel, when I got there the guy said " where is your towel card?" I did not have a towel card, non was ever provided or explained. SO I walked another 20 min (exaggerated) back to the front desk to ask for my towel card...to which the guy says " Oh you're with Air Transat, you can use the towels in your room"... Well how the heck was I supposed to know that, when there is a card on top of them saying " DO NOT REMOVE FROM ROOM"...this was followed by a blank stare from the guy and then some gibberish in Spanish to the guy next to him with a bit of laughter.
4. Back to the food, you can only access the buffet at limited hours. Not convenient at all. And the food was So So....
I never ever want to see this place again in my life....
Here are the good points:
1. The waiting staff at the buffet were by far the hardest working and nicest people.
2. It was close to a nice beach with a few fun things for children and adults to do.
I'm sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I am writing in anger and have probably missed many of the other insanely awful things related to this place! I'm sure the other traveler with me will be posting soon and enlightening you as to the other mishaps and why you should NOT stay here, I repeat it is unsafe...there are no locking patio doors!!! Do not go here!
Thank you for listening.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca, Booking.com, Barcelo, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Barcelo Maya Colonial reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Caribe & Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial Beach
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico