“Terrible, DO NOT GO HERE!!!!”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Edmonton, Canada
“Terrible, DO NOT GO HERE!!!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Where to start...

1. Reception/staff helpfulness and consistency

First lets begin at the check in, I was traveling with a wedding party. Upon check in, we asked to be moved to a non ground floor room based on reviews that I had read (we were the first to check in) and told that we could not change rooms, HOWEVER friends traveling with us could change their room and they checked in 20 people behind us???

I had an information sheet from Air Transat that said as a group we would receive free internet access, I saw the information desk gentlemen give this 'deal' to the person in front of me in line, when I approached to receive it, even with my proper information was told I could not have it. I was also told that PREMIUM means nothing at all!!! (Barcelo Maya Colonial Premium Resort) just an extra word to make you think things would be nice here.

Upon accessing my room, I could not get over the overwhelming smell of mold. I proceeded to to my normal safety checks which included checking the locks of the patio doors to my ground level room. Surprise, they did not work. We called reception, asked for another room with a locking door...told we could not change rooms, and waited over an hour for a service person to come to the room. Once there he told us NON of the lock to the patios work in all of the hotel!!! WHAT??? So then he 'rigged' up something to make it so the door lock, lone be hold in discussing with my friends...the patio doors DO NOT WORK!! Anyone can break in and steal you stuff at this place!!!!!

Back to the room, there is an inadequate air conditioner and I spent a week sleeping in a bed that felt like someone had urinated in it, it was so damp....it was an awful awful feeling!

Two days into our stay we received a knock at the door, it as another Canadian couple who had been staying in our room the day we were checked into it...they thought they might have left something in it...they had asked to be moved out of this room as the mold and moisture they thought were at levels too unsafe for their children! This further lead to my anger...as I had already asked several times to be moved and treatment for each individual was so random...

If you asked someone a question you may or may not get an answer that makes sense (noone here knows what they are talking about) and you may or may not ...prob not get a call back on any issue.

2. The A La Carte restaurants were horrendous!! I say eat at the buffet!! OR book the Palace restaurants and pay a little extra, if I hadn't been here for a friends wedding I would have!

3. One day while I was there, I slipped and feel on the wet tiled floor and dislocated my patella!! Luckily, everyone traveling with me was a health care professional. I did not receive help or any sort, not even an "are you ok?" from the staff at this place!! RIDICULOUS! by this point however it as probably a good thing.

4. The issue with the beach towel....my oh my.....If you want a beach towel here be prepared to work for it. In the room, there were 2 beach towels, with a card on top of them stating " do not removed towels from room" OK so I didn't. I spent an hour looking for a place to get a beach towel, when I got there the guy said " where is your towel card?" I did not have a towel card, non was ever provided or explained. SO I walked another 20 min (exaggerated) back to the front desk to ask for my towel card...to which the guy says " Oh you're with Air Transat, you can use the towels in your room"... Well how the heck was I supposed to know that, when there is a card on top of them saying " DO NOT REMOVE FROM ROOM"...this was followed by a blank stare from the guy and then some gibberish in Spanish to the guy next to him with a bit of laughter.

4. Back to the food, you can only access the buffet at limited hours. Not convenient at all. And the food was So So....

I never ever want to see this place again in my life....

Here are the good points:

1. The waiting staff at the buffet were by far the hardest working and nicest people.
2. It was close to a nice beach with a few fun things for children and adults to do.

I'm sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I am writing in anger and have probably missed many of the other insanely awful things related to this place! I'm sure the other traveler with me will be posting soon and enlightening you as to the other mishaps and why you should NOT stay here, I repeat it is unsafe...there are no locking patio doors!!! Do not go here!

Thank you for listening.

Room Tip: Ask for a non ground level floor...but they probably won't accommodate you! Good luck.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank jennifer m
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 26 July 2016
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 15 February 2012

BARCELO
We visited the Barceló for a family reunion and we LOVE IT!!!
This hotel has a long sandy and palm tree beach, many pools, snorkel, pool table, basketball, waterpark for kids, mini golf, in other words you never get bored and you never feel crowd.
The place is very well maintained, gardens, beach, pools; every thing is very clean.
All the people working at this place is very helpful, maids, waiters, managers; the service is excellent! You feel really welcome.
The restaurants have great food, and have 4 specialty restaurants, yummy!
The rooms are big enough, very clean and all of them have a nice view, some of the to the gardens, some of them to the beach.
We are looking forward to visit the Riviera Maya and the Barceló again!

Room Tip: Well, if you have younger kids or strollers, you may ask for a room at the lower level. You may con...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Honc2011
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Barcelo Colonial, we arrived Feb 6th and departed on the 11th and I have to say that we have an absolute BLAST! The grounds of this resort are spectacular as well as the beach and pools. Wanted to pass on a few key things:
1.) If you arrive at the hotel before 3:30-4:00 chances are your room will not be available, but you can still “check” in and get your wristband to go grab a drink or grab some food from the buffet.
2.) If you want a spot on the beach you will need to go get your towels and place them on your beach chairs, if you wait until after 10:30 am you may not get a chair.
3.) You’ll receive free specialty restaurant tickets for the steak, seafood, Italian, or Japanese restaurants. If you are an early eater plan accordingly as the earliest we got in was 9:00 pm.
4.) The food at the buffet is just okay, nothing much to rave about.
5.) The bartenders at the pool bar are the greatest, go see my friend Gabriel. They are always in a great mood! **Tipping is not required but they really do appreciate it!**
6.) We stayed on the 1st floor and it was awesome, very close to the pool and the beach. We also had an outside patio that we could have a few drinks and just relax.
7.) We didn’t go into town in Playa De Carmen but we were told it is very safe.
8.) We found it was beneficial to take a Bubba Keg or something to that nature, as once you get a drink from the bar the ice would almost melt before you made it back to the beach. We had the Bubba Kegs and the drinks were cold all day, even being in the sun.
9.) Cancun airport was a piece of cake going through, but if you are coming back to the States allow at least 2hrs before your connecting flight. It took us about 1 ½ hours to clear customs in Houston.
This was our first vacation in Mexico and the first all-inclusive and we had a great time! We are already in the talks of returning next year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David K
Dear David:

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Minn
Reviewed 14 February 2012

First off I want to say that I read many reviews before we go somewhere and I find myself getting anxious about things I don't even really care about! I think that a healthy attitude about a vacation is very important and worrying about the small things can ultimately affect enjoying the rest of the trip.

We were at the Colonial for a week in the beginning of February. We arrived about 1230 and couldn't get into our room until about 4pm but we used the beach and the buffet in the interim.

The rooms are nice, damp feeling but it is the tropics! Our fridge was stocked fully all week and in addition to the daily cleaning, housekeeping checked every evening to make sure we had enough towels.

We booked our ala cartes the first day and were able to do 6 of them (not sure why we were able to do so many). They were all good and the service was excellent.

The beach is very nice, I did put out towels every morning when I walked so that we would have two chairs together in a good spot. I don't like doing "the towel game" but since everyone does you just have to play along. If you didn't, there wasn't much available after about 1030. We were out early on the beach (around 9) and stayed out until about 2pm. The snorkeling was fun.

The buffets were about the same as the other AI we've been to, good breakfasts and so-so lunches. They charge for room service so if you like to eat before 7am or after 1030pm you are out of luck.

We went to 3 shows and they were well done and entertaining.

The grounds are beautifully kept and there is a lot of walking to get around but we enjoyed that, I can see where others might not though.

We had a good time, I don't know if I would return though. It is fun to experience new properties.

Room Tip: I saw a lot of postings about not staying on the first floor, we did and didn't have any problem...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank spidergirlMinn

PA
Reviewed 14 February 2012

What a wonderful, relaxing, perfect week! I would go back in a flash, we all loved the resort. 9 of us just returned from Barcelo ranging from 70 to 8 years old. One of our favorite things about the resort was the size- it was easy to navigate and you weren't exhausted from your hike to dinner or the beach, everything was pretty close together, which was great for the people with bad knees, hips and feet!

Next favorite had to be the kiddie pool/park. There are 2 of them, one at the Palace- which seemed geared toward toddlers, and one at the Colonial (or right next to Tropical) which was perfect for our active 8 year olds, they had no trouble going up and down all day long and it really held their interest. It was also close enough to the beach that you could see the people from your party, which is nice when you don't want to spring for cell phones- we really didn't need them here.

Next has to be the beach, or maybe that should have been first. The blue water is absolutely breathtaking. The snorkeling is amazing! I have seen just as nice on a $100 snorkeling trip and I didn't have to swim far or pay anything. We did bring our own snorkeling gear and we were glad we did. The water sports center has lots of stuff to do, but snorkels for only 1 hour per day. Be careful if you wade close over the coral, I got a rash from it and I knew better. The fish would swim right up to my snorkel my mask and move their mouths like they were talking to me, I really wish I knew what they were saying! The sports center puts the water bikes and kayaks out on calm days and windsurf stuff out on windier days, so don't hold off on what you want to do as it is controlled by the wind and if you wait you may not get a chance.

Last time we went to Riviera Maya we stayed at Grand Palladium, which we loved- comparison- we like the size of Barcelo better, but the food better at GP. I am not a big complainer and I always found something to eat that I liked, but the food at the alacartes could have had more selection. The buffets were ok, again I'm very happy to not cook, but GP food is much tastier with more of a selection, so if food is your thing- Barcelo is just ok in my opinion.

People have commented on the hard beds and pillows and I agree, but a funny thing happened- my knee that always hurts at home- stopped hurting on vacation. My mother in law with the ever nagging sore back, was pain free on vacation- we swore it was the beds!!

Anything else you want to know, just shoot me an email- everyone else seemed to cover it all in their reviews and I agree, so I don't want to repeat what others have said. One last thing, the Mexican plaza stores were more expensive than the airport, so if you see something you like there and you want to save some $ hold off and get it at the airport on your way home.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on an upgrade- all of the rooms are very nice and had similar amenities a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank DiBattista
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 21 July 2016
Dear Guest:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,

De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I love this hotel. We will be back in April 13. The beach and food are excellent.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salim67
Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Ok, this resort is great. I'm not a very picky reviewer so yeah. I traveled with my husband and 10 year old daughter. We had the best time of our lives.

Drive from airport is super long. Although they were training a new driver so it took longer.

When we first arrived they offered us free drinks. We went in the busiest time of the year (Christmas) and didn't have any trouble with lines. Anywhere. There are lots of bars,just find the least crowded ones. Got checked in right away around 9pm. (Our plane was delayed in Memphis) they told us exactly where to go. Don't pay extra for a beach view. It's not worth it.

Never had problems with theft. Awesome showers except bath tub didn't work to well.

The pool was very cold. Stayed for a week and didn't spend more than 10 minutes in a pool. The snorkling was awesome if you knew where to go. But I would recommend water shoes , kinda rocky. Like I said, busiest time of the year, and didn't have trouble finding chairs. Fun playing volleyball.

Food was good, not great. I liked the buffets since I'm not a picky eater. The Xmas and new years eve buffets were the best.

Big resort with lots of places to walk. Cute on site shops. Tennis courts and mini golf were fun.

The computers have slow internet and there was usually always a line to use them.

I HAD A FANTASTIC TIME.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank sydney996005
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 27 June 2016
Dear Sydney:

26.8 km away
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!