“What a relaxing vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Alexandria VA
“What a relaxing vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

3 women picked this for this years get a way. 5 nights in an ocean view junior suite two double beds and a comfortable (but frighteningly squeaky) sofa bed. One bath one sink but the rain shower made the bathroom acceptable. Oddly the toilet is in a separate area of the bathroom but with no door so what is the point? Room is better than the picture as we were expecting old. But it was fine. Always clean. Always stocked.

Our room was right behind the pool so fab location for pool and beach. But what a hike to meals and lobby. Really. If you have mobility issues this is not a good choice.

Food was good. Italian restaurant excellent.

Wine awful. Even though we purchased the high service it includes only the house wine which is worse than swill. We bought nice wine for 5 dollars a bottle so it was okay but a weird way to run a business. Also I could get any brand Iiquor but had to (sometimes) sign for it. No cost so I guess there are tracking inve Tory control but again an odd way to do business.

Grounds fabulous. Beach wonderful ( head all the way to the left by the jetty to enter with no rocks and see all the fish swimming around). Head all the way to the right to the pier to get the free snorkel equipment. But you must leave a credit card which is a pain.

Take the bus from the lobby to visit the other buildings. Very fun as each area has it's own vibe. take the bus to the Mayan market to buy souvenirs. Or for 90$ we took a taxi for the afternoon and he took us everywhere from tulum market to a town (akumel?) which is cute and apparently the cool town to visit and snorkel.

It took 2 full hours to get into cancun with customs. What a mess. Then like 10 minutes to leave but we were so worried because of the to do upon arrival we ended up sitting for 3 hours the day we left. I think the transportation people set the pick up times early on purpose

Any way it was a lovely place and just what we wanted. Was it as nice as last years trip to punta cana in the DR? No. Staff here are effective but not attentive as they are in punta Cana resorts.

A good value for the $ and the beaches are breathtaking.

Room Tip: Ocean view
1 Thank lrmdell
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 26 July 2016
Dear Guest:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
We really appreciate your remarks at our staff, who make a great job trying to fulfill our guests expectations.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

First off I would like to say that we picked an unfortunate week.... As a group of late 30-50 year olds looking to have some fun and relaxation during a destination wedding, we were blindsided by about 300 spring breakers getting drunk and foolish for most of our trip. Apparently the under 18's were wearing a different coloured wrist band but this did not stop their friends from getting served at the bar and handing it over to under aged teens. I will say we did meet some mature and interesting people but unfortunately their rude counterparts were ruining it for everyone when they were swearing at people and trying to start fights.... not exactly the relaxing vacation I had envisioned.

The Colonial is where the 24hr bar is and also where the nightclub is located so I would suggest staying at one of the other equally beautiful resorts if the above does not sound like something that would interest you.

Otherwise, the resort was spectacular. Very clean and absolutely beautiful. The service was amazing in the restaurants and good although a bit slow at the pool bar. We did meet a couple who put their ipods and cash in the safe and returned to find the safe empty so I would suggest keeping all of your belongings on you at all times or even just leaving any valuables at home. Apparently the maids have an override code to access the safe even when it has been set with personalized codes.

The beaches were pretty rocky with bits of coral washing up so I would suggest having a pair of water shoes which are also very useful for doing any of the day trips such as ziplining etc. (the XPLORE daytrip was very fun!!!) ALSO A MUST DO IS GOING TO COCO BONGOS. Trust me, you will not be dissapointed!! This is a nightclub meets Vegas show meets Cirque de Soliel.... absolutely the most entertaining show I have ever seen. 11/10.

All and all I enjoyed my stay but I think my outlook of the resort would have been completely different had the resort kept more of a short leash on the drunken teenagers who could not handle their alcohol. Next time I go to an all-inclusive I'll be searching for a 21 or 25+ resort.

Room Tip: it seems like the patio doors dont lock however they have a lock on the top in the middle where the...
5 Thank c_dubToronto

Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We loved our stay at the Barcelo Riviera Maya. We stayed in the Colonial portion, but any of the resort sites would have been fine. The grounds and beach were beautiful. We stayed for 5 days. We ate dinner at the buffet for three nights. We enjoyed these meals but did not set ourselves up to be blown away. But, our meals in the Japanese restaurant and Seafood restaurant were exceptional. Be sure to reserve a spot at the restaurants. My children also enjoyed the pools best, but also the beach. They used the kids club a few times. They liked the bungee trampoline but preferred to stay with us. Some of the things that surprised us were the Carona on tap everywhere, easy walks between resorts and the range of activities available to us. The snorkeling right off the pier was fabulous.
One negative point relates to the language difficulties. We all know about 100 Spanish words which we enjoyed using, but I think the staff could have provided a better explanation if we were able to communicate in the same language. We made our reservations via the internet on a site called bestdeals.com. Yes, we got a great deal, but I wonder if things would have went more smoothly if we booked through Apple. I also suggest searching for a deal to shuttle you from the airport to the resort. Cancun shuttle offered us a great price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tomnatmom
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend here.
I appreciate your positive notes I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities, food and services that we offer.

Warmest Regards
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

When my airport transportation dropped me off at the Barcelo Maya Colonial at 11:30 a.m., and I am told that I cannot have a room until 3 p.m. . . . . we are not off to a good start!

Sure I have a bracelet and can eat and drink, but my suitcase will sit out in the lobby for half a day.

I will wander like a homeless person for 3 1/2 hours wearing my travel clothes.

I will carry my passport, ID, travel documents, credit card, cash, cellphone and camera with me, clutched tight.

By the time i have my room. changed into swinwear, acquired a beach towel and slathered on sun block, the sun is disappearing and the people are all returning to their rooms. So much for my whole first vacation day .

A kind word about the front desk clerk working when we checked out at 5 a.m. He was gracious and competent. And my ONLY positive front desk experience.

This was my second visit. Last year we were exceptionally well-served (except for thge snotty maitre d' of the steakhouse). We returned because we really like the place. And the food is wonderful!

Until the front desk and houskeeping can get organized . . . .!!!

I checked out at 5 a.m. The person coming in on my flight will arrive at 11:30 a.m. . . .and be told that in six hours, no one has been able to clean my room for his arrival. And this happens seven days a week for the passengers on two flights from Canada.

Room Tip: Ha! Don't even try with the front desk. Two males, 61 and 68 years old shared a kingsize bed b...
Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Stewart C
Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Okay--I'll first summarize in bullet points for those who like to skim.
Pros:
*beautiful grounds
*beautiful hotel & lobby
*great food at all of the buffets
*huge pool--actually multiple pools that sprawled on and on
*swim-up bars
*great beach for swimming or snorkeling
*clean everywhere
*attentive, efficient, polite staff
*lots of shops for those who are interested
*plenty of available chairs on the beach
*lots of activities to choose from for children and adults
*attention to detail to keep wildlife out of eating areas (netting, etc.)
*balconies had private feel due to their architecture

Cons:
*the size of the property is intimidating--plan to do LOTS of walking just to get where you need to go.
*rooms were just okay-beds were pretty hard as others have said
*bathtub not very comfortable for those who tub instead of shower
*request to keep group in rooms nearby not met
*several things in room not in working order
*prices in many of the shops were outrageous
*pool chairs all taken by around 6am.
*some aspects of the maid service were sketchy. Didn't replace towels, toothpaste, bath amenities, etc.

Now for the narrative version. We were immediately impressed upon arrival at how beautiful everything looked. Fountains everywhere and immaculate landscaping.They welcomed us with a yummy drink in a fluted glass--not champagne. We were never really sure what it was, but we all liked it.Check in was fine, but we asked that the four couples in our group have rooms near each other and that didn;t really happen. 2 were near each other and the other 2 were flung in opposite directions. Ours was in a different building than the others within the same group of buildings.
It took a long time for someone to get our luggage, and we were all anxious to change out of our long pants and get into something cooler (it was hot!). Ended up running down a bell person and kind of badgering him into taking it up. One couple in our group had a luggage snafu that stretched out over an hour or more, complete with different statements about where their luggage actually was at the time and when it would make it to their room. I recommend that you take it up yourself if you need your things quickly.
The room was okay, but we've stayed in nicer rooms. I was disappointed that the bathtub was somewhat small and didn't have jets. The shower diverter didn't work, so every time you turned the water one, half came out of the shower head and half came out of the tub faucet. Made for a wimpy shower and awkward tub fill when you didn't want the shower splattering you. The remote for our TV only worked for the channel-the volume button was broken. We had to keep getting up to change the volume manually on the TV, which was often due to the huge disparity in the volume between channels. In a friend's room, the ceiling fan was out of whack to the point that they couldn't use it since it shook so violently.
There is very little drawer space to put your clothes and belongings, so plan on hanging a lot in the closet of using the shelves in the closet.
The balcony was lovely, and they're offset in such a way that you don't see your balcony neighbors whether they're up, down, or sideways. They felt very private, and since ours faced foliage, we could go out there no matter how we were dressed (or not, as the case may be). Nice little pull-out drying rack on the balcony for wet towels & bathing suits--we'd never seen a rack like this one, and it worked great.
We were amazed at the selection at all the buffets, especially with the freshness of the items on the salad bar. Best fruits vegetables you could ask for. Highlights include the smoothies at breakfast, the soft serve ice cream at lunch, vast selection of cheeses at every meal, and just the overall astounding choices you have for everything. Also, the bananas at this resort were the best I've ever tasted--day in & day out. Don't ask me how they're better--they just were.
Keep in mind that room service is NOT included (as it has been in other all-inclusives where we'd stayed). I couldn't figure out the pricing on the menu, so I just gave up any idea of using the room service even when I was willing to pay for it.
We did have a little trouble with dinner reservations in that 2 of them were at 9:30 since they said that's all they had left. At first, we thought it was no big deal, but they don't really seat you or get things rolling quickly, and it was easily going on 10:30 by the time we got our entrees. Doesn't feel very good to eat that late. The food at the various restaurants was very good & we especially enjoyed the Mexican one and the Steak House. I found the Japanese one very mediocre and if I had it to do over again, I'd have rather eaten at the dinner buffet.
The pools are over the top big and filled with fountains, squirting things and bubbles scattered throughout. No way you could ever feel crowded in the pools, but good luck trying to reserve pool chairs.
There were lots of things to do (foosball, darts, scuba lessons, billiards, and many more that I can't remember, but a first for me was the mini golf course set in the jungle area. That was fun.
The spa was nice, but nothing outstanding.
We never watched a show in the theater, so can't comment on those.
The maid service was very good with a few small exceptions-all regarding replacing things. They would take your face washcloths away, but not leave new ones. They didn't replace the little amenity items that you used up (toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.) and they didn't necessarily replace the drinks or snacks you consumed from the mini bar. I also fired up the coffeemaker in the room one day only to realize that there were no coffee condiments-creamer, sugars, etc.). Don't think there ever were any, because we hadn't used the coffee maker til that point.
The biggest snafu for us occurred when our room safe went completely on the fritz the night before we left, and they couldn't get it open even with their handy-dandy little electronic devices. They said it would have to be drilled open and that the drill guy couldn't come til the following day (which is the DAY WE HAD TO LEAVE!) Safe contained our passports, airline tickets, cash and wedding rings. Lots of drama the next morning ensued when the drill guy didn;t come at 7am as promised, then he got there, but his drill bit was too dull, so he left to get another one. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but suffice it to say that it was a harrowing couple of hours that morning til they finally got it open in time for us to catch our shuttle to the airport. I realize that that could certainly be a fluke thing that hardly even happens, but it happened to us and it was very stressful.

We found the staff pleasant and helpful throughout from check-in to check-out.The beach was great, the resort beautiful, food very good.
Overall, I would recommend the resort to anyone. I am baffled by some of the comments in other reviews about rude staff, bad food, etc. I realize opinions and experiences vary, but we found everything to be satisfactory to outstanding outside of the cons listed above (and they're all pretty minor).
We got a great deal on the vacation package and we all enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Stay away from the theater if you go to bed before 11 pm or so.
3 Thank MRB2569

Talent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We love this place! Stayed in the Jalisco building close to the beach. It was quiet there on the second floor. Our balcony looked out to the jungle and saw lots of birds. This end of the resort is close to the Hobie Cats and other watersports rentals. We took the Hobie Cat everyday. It was wonderful! The beach here is good for swimming too!
Food is very good! We ate at 6 a la carte restaurants the 9 nights that we were there. We liked them all. The buffets have a lot of variety too. The wine is not good so you have to buy bottles if you want better.
We love the evening entertainment. The pre-shows are great with the full Jazz Band and wonderful singers. We loved the Latino Fuego, Broadway, Variete, Fantasia and Mexicana Fiesta shows. Excellent dancing, singing, costumes and live music.
Our only suggestion to the management was to open the Jaguar Disco earlier in the evening so the younger crowd had a place to hang-out. It got loud around the open air bars in the theater areas and it was distracting to the shows. The management thought that might help solve the problem especially at Spring Break time.
The staff is wonderful and friendly! They are quick to respond and they really make you feel at home! We plan on returning again. Great value!

Room Tip: Jalisco building on south end is quiet. Second or third floors the best!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TalentCuki
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I just got back from vacation on Sunday and stayed at your Barcelo Colonial in Maya Riviera. First of all I phoned and emailed your hotel before we arrived asking if our bookings of 3 rooms all together could possibly be close. We ending up arriving and 2 rooms were in 1 building and 1 the other building. The reception desk did not want to help at all to make our stay easier for us. We ended up having to move so we could all be in the same building but my son ended up sleeping on a cot. The rooms were smelly like mold and water was leaking in the bathroom of my mother's (74 years old) room. We wasted many hours trying to get restaurant reservations from 5:30 to 6:30 but were told no reservations. Then when I went back 2 days later there were reservations but none of us made them. When we arrived at the restaurants there always were lots of empty tables so not sure why everyone at the hotel was being told that the restaurants were full all the time except 10pm at night. Employee at the front desk Alonso Escamilla was extremely rude and impolite. The last point was the check out, charges were put on our bill but no receipts and the reception clerk would not look into taking them off even though he did not have any receipts. He just laughed and said there was nothing I could do, they would charge my visa and that was too bad for me. They were not large amounts but the point I'm trying to make is that he was not helpful and accommodating to your customer. We stayed for 6 nights so did speak to other guests at the Colonial and everyone was very unhappy with the service or your resort.

Room Tip: you can't they do not want to help if you would like to have any requests regarding your stay at...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank shana a
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 13 July 2016
Dear Shana:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
17.1 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
16.9 km away
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#70 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,233 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!