3 women picked this for this years get a way. 5 nights in an ocean view junior suite two double beds and a comfortable (but frighteningly squeaky) sofa bed. One bath one sink but the rain shower made the bathroom acceptable. Oddly the toilet is in a separate area of the bathroom but with no door so what is the point? Room is better than the picture as we were expecting old. But it was fine. Always clean. Always stocked.
Our room was right behind the pool so fab location for pool and beach. But what a hike to meals and lobby. Really. If you have mobility issues this is not a good choice.
Food was good. Italian restaurant excellent.
Wine awful. Even though we purchased the high service it includes only the house wine which is worse than swill. We bought nice wine for 5 dollars a bottle so it was okay but a weird way to run a business. Also I could get any brand Iiquor but had to (sometimes) sign for it. No cost so I guess there are tracking inve Tory control but again an odd way to do business.
Grounds fabulous. Beach wonderful ( head all the way to the left by the jetty to enter with no rocks and see all the fish swimming around). Head all the way to the right to the pier to get the free snorkel equipment. But you must leave a credit card which is a pain.
Take the bus from the lobby to visit the other buildings. Very fun as each area has it's own vibe. take the bus to the Mayan market to buy souvenirs. Or for 90$ we took a taxi for the afternoon and he took us everywhere from tulum market to a town (akumel?) which is cute and apparently the cool town to visit and snorkel.
It took 2 full hours to get into cancun with customs. What a mess. Then like 10 minutes to leave but we were so worried because of the to do upon arrival we ended up sitting for 3 hours the day we left. I think the transportation people set the pick up times early on purpose
Any way it was a lovely place and just what we wanted. Was it as nice as last years trip to punta cana in the DR? No. Staff here are effective but not attentive as they are in punta Cana resorts.
A good value for the $ and the beaches are breathtaking.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Travelocity.ca and TripOnline SA so you can book your Barcelo Maya Colonial reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Caribe & Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial Beach
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico