Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$293
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$245
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$302
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$245
  • Pool
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$362
Official Site
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$379
Priceline
US$536
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
5,698 results
All reviewsyucatan buildingseafoodmaya tropicalspecialty restaurantsother resortsmini golfgreat resortspring breakersplaya del carmenclub premiumbeach grillsjapanese restauranta la cartespalm treeskids water parksteakbeach resort
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Before I get to the review of the hotel, I will start of by saying that we booked our trip through Delta Vacations and the experience was top notch... now onto the hotel.

The best word I could come up with the describe the overall experience was underwhelming.

Positives:
- The grounds of the hotel are absolutely stunning. There are landscapers everywhere keeping everything polished and beautiful. The plant and wild life were awesome.
- The beaches at any part of the Barcelo resort are also beautiful. There was never a shortage of lounge chairs to use, even with our big group.
- The pools and other activities were also top notch... everything from beach volleyball to air rifle shooting to salsa dancing lessons. The instructors for all the activities were also fantastic.
- The nightly shows were entertaining and varied during the week which we enjoyed.
- Maids and bellhops did a great job of ensuring everything in your room was as you wanted it.

Negatives:
- Pictures on the internet really do not express how expansive this resort actually is... we were expecting a fairly large resort given that it has five hotels, but we really had no idea what we were in for. We spent 1/3 of our time at the hotel walking around trying to follow maps and get different places on the resort. Be warned that this is a MEGA SIZED resort.
- We had several bad experiences at the many bars located around the resort. Many of the bar tenders seemed uninterested in providing any kind of service even if a tip was offered. Our worst experience came from two bartenders in one of the lower end resorts who refused to even acknowledge that we were at the bar waiting for beers... they instead spent 10 minutes talking to Spanish speaking friends at the bar until we finally walked out... we made sure to vocally let other guests in the bar know of our terrible service.
- The food at this resort was probably the most disappointing of all the features we looked forward to. We tried out best to vary which dining establishments we ate at each day. We ate at a different buffet each day and tried out pretty much all of the snack bars on the resort. The buffet and snack bar food is relatively standard and most of the food was very... blah (it filled your stomach but didn't really provide any dining pleasure. We also ate at almost all of the premier restaurants on the resort. Our best experience by far was the Hibachi Japanese restaurant and the worst experience by far was the seafood restaurant. We also ate Italian, Mexican, and steakhouse... all of which were nothing spectacular... comparable to quality at an Applebees at best.
- The concierge service at the front desk was very uncooperative. We tried to make reservations for the premier Mexican restaurant and were instead scheduled at the low end nightly Mexican restaurant... when we came back the next day to discuss this with the concierge, the best answer she could give us was that there was nothing she could do... no apology, no nothing. We took this issue to a hotel manager who basically gave us the same run around which leads to my next negative....
- Be aware that the hotel staff is very aware that there is nothing you can do about bad service other than give them a bad review online. We weren't offered any kind of compensation or even an apology for the problems we had.
- The rooms, as stated in other reviews, are NOT at all sound proof and people seem to have no problem letting their kids run around in the hotels at 3 in the morning... everything echoes and you can even hear your neighbors showering in the morning. Also as stated in other reviews, the beds are horribly uncomfortable. Don't expect to get a whole lot of good sleep during your stay here.
- If you are traveling with a big group, expect that a lot of what you do will need to be broken up, especially if you make dinner reservations. We had a birthday celebration one night and they would NOT accomodate our large group... Additionally, we noticed that all of our reservations were for 930 at night for dinner and yet most of the restaurants were empty when we got there... no idea why we had to wait till 930 to eat dinner every night. We even reserved everything a week in advance and still could not get good reservations... You might consider calling a month in advance to get your reservations at the restaurants.
- Shopping on the resort, contrary to what others have said, was pretty terrible. 20 stores and booths all selling the same stupid trinkets and statues for different prices.
- The discotheque was fun, but keep in mind that you will NOT be able to hear anything for about a half hour when you walk out the door. Consider bringing ear plugs with you.

All in all, for what we paid, the Barcelo was pretty disappointing. It might be a good place to take kids for a fun filled trip, but if you are a group of adults looking for a good combination of fun and relaxation, I'd look elsewhere. It certainly did not receive the 4-5 star rating it seems to have everywhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2016

Dear nErmAc,

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2010

We (four adults low to mid 40s with two 19 y.o. teens) just got back from Barcelo Colonial resort. Stayed 30 June - 9 July and had a wonderful, relaxing time. Two days of strong wind (remains of the hurricane Alex) and one full day of heavy rain didn’t spoil our vacation. The resort wasn’t running at his full capacity and that was a big PLUS. No need to wake up 7 a.m. to reserve a spot under the tent, any time you come to the beach or pool you can always find a spot in a shade, no lines in a restaurants, buffets, a lot of available tables in theatre. I assume most Mexican/Carribean resorts has same situation right now…
The resort is HUGE, it is actually complex of five Barcelo resorts, Palace, Tropical/Colonial and Maya Caribe Beach/ Maya Beach. You can check them out on feet if you don’t mind walking or you can take a bus that going back and forth between resorts with 30 min. intervals. This resort has unofficial web site where you can see his layout.
We have been staying in a number of all-inclusive resorts in Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica and here is what we think about this one.

Transfer from Airport Barcelo Hotels located far from Cancun airport, with all the stops to drop other tourists and road work be prepare to spend 1:30-2:00hr in a van. The resort worth it, but for some people distance from the airport is important.
Hotel Grounds
Beautiful huge modern style lobby with Mexican accents. Comfortable couches, chairs, light fixtures, fountains, sculptures….Gorgeous grounds! They work very hard to keep it clean. Feel like we are in the jungle….All kind of palm trees, flowers, beautiful lush gardens everywhere. All resorts are connected via board walks covered by roof or lush greenery so you are not exposed to sun while walking. Every minute you can come across iguanas, lizards, squirrel or exotic birds…

Beach
Typical for that area…Big, with a lot of palm trees but very rocky. Bold areas, big and small rocks, crushed corals with sharp edges are everywhere…Even in a swimming area you can step on a rock. Water shoes for kids are highly recommended.

Pool
Each resort has one huge pool. Colonial side also has Barcey Water Park. Little kids can spend whole day there. Pools kept clean, have different sections for aerobics, polo and pool volleyball. Pool is kind of noisy, no matter where you are. Barcelo Palace has gorgeous and quiet adult pool, you can stay there but you can’t eat or order drinks there unless you are a Palace resident.

Food was really delicious, enough choices to satisfy any taste - you could never get bored!
We ate in a main restaurant for breakfast and dinner and had lunch in Palmeras bar grill that’s located right next to the pool and beach same time.
A la carte restaurants. We tried three out of many.
Mariachi Grill (Mexican). Nothing special…Open air beach buffet converted at night to the Mexican restaurant. Serving same everyday Mexican food that was available in a main restaurant.
Japanese Restaurant. Typical hibachi/sushi place with show cooking tables. We have seen it before number of times but still it was fun to watch and food was delicious. If you like sushi/hibachi should definitely book it.
Brassiere Palace (French). Fantastic place. Decorated in classic French style, great food selection, lobsters, onion soup, snails, deserts…everything was very delicious. Co-payment is $15.00 per person but it was worth it…
Drinks/Bars
Like in many resorts, drinks were watered. Swim up bar personnel work very slow and not productive even with few people around. Every bartender makes same drink differently. This resort uses only Mexican brands for cocktails. For international “Top Shelf” drinks you have to pay for each drink or buy unlimited “golden bracelet” for $20.00 per person per day. Same situations with wines for dinner. Not sure if it is a good idea. Deducted one point just for that. That was first all inclusive resort where we saw people bringing their own bottles from duty free shops. We did same thing (thank you, Trip Advisor reviewers) and it worked fine.
Staff
Very friendly. Not everybody speaks English but once they understand what you need, they go extra mile to please you…They work very hard 10 hrs a day 6 day a week. Tips are greatly appreciated.
Entertainment team/Shows
Entertainment team was not as creative as in other resorts. All they did was water aerobics and salsa dance lessons on a pool. Shows were very good, they have 5-6 shows that rotating between different resorts. Bright colorful costumes, live music, talented singers make it very interesting to watch…So we had better shows and less active entertainment team.
Other resorts have opposite set up. They have big international entertainment team, college students all over the world. Every day they had different funny games, dance lessons, sport tournaments for all ages. Kids and teens were following them everywhere. Same people were performing night shows but that was a down side. Most of the shows were cheesy and boring…Many of shows were way outdated like men against women, couple competition etc…
Room
We stayed in standard room that was big enough, had two beds, sofa, TV. Everything was working fine. A lot of people complained about hard beds. They are hard, but not much harder that we have in a house so that wasn’t an issue for us. I read in reviews that they have available mattress pad to make it softer

SUGGESTIONS:
• If you are “beach” person bring water shoes for your kids
• Bring your own travel mugs or Bubba Keg
• Bring portable three way plug. There are only three outlets in each room.
• If you cigar lover, buy them in Duty Free. Resort shops’ prices are crazy, outside vendors sell fake Cuban brands
• Tipping bartenders will help them to mix “right” drink for you.
• Buildings “G” and “H” are closer to pool and main restaurant but some parts of them are right across the theatre that is VERY, VERY loud all day long. We called front desk a week before the trip requesting building “I” and it worked.
• Bring extra sun block. Resort’s price is $28 for small bottle.
• Resort offers his own snorkeling trip for twice less than from agents in a lobby and travel time is minimal. Every excursion you book, ask about travel time, sometimes it takes 2 hr with all stops in other resorts just to get there.
• Book a la carte restaurants on your first day, seats are limited

Overall it’s a fantastic resort, great value for the money. Would we recommend it to our friends? Definitely YES.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

Dear mgur1,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.
Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.
Once again thank you for having chose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your recent stay and really hope to have your preference for your next holidays

Reviewed July 15, 2010

****TO ALL, DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL! YOUR VALUABLES ARE NOT SAFE IN YOUR ROOM OR IN THE SAFE! PLEASE READ ON****

There are theifs all over this hotel. I will begin by telling you what has happened to me. During my stay, I had left my watch on the dresser in my room. I know I should have kept it in the safe, but if you read other reviews you will find that that doesn't matter either.

We had left the property for the day and came back around 6 pm. We had went to dinner Iand I realized I had left my watch in the room. When we returned from dinner I looked at where I had placed my watch and found that it was missing. I frantically search all of my belongings and the room and nothing ever came up. The next morning, we went to the lobby to tell them what happened. They called security and I had to fill out a report.

After the report was filled out, we had to lead security to my room to contine to investigation. Well lets just say that they treated us as the thieves. They ripped through all of our personal belonging and I mean all of them. They search through my wife's underwear and her suitcase as well. After they couldn't find my watch they started asking me questions. Well the head of security was asking me the questions but I guess had to call someone else in to translate.

When I told them that it wasn't in the safe, they asked why it wasn't in the safe. When i stopped and realize what they were getting at I stopped them and said " Do not even tell me that because it wasn't in the safe that you are not liable for the property!". Just to give you a description of the safe, it is about 12"x8"x5". I then asked them "So, whatever does not fit in the safe, your employees have the right to take?" and they simply said no. So what difference does it make if the watch was in the safe or not and still they couldn't give me a resonse.

They told me that the investigation would take 72 hours. I told them that we leave the day after tomorrow. They said they would make this a top priority. What a lie that was. They couldn't give me any results of the investigation as I checked out and they gave me the Lobby Managers phone number and took my information as well. They told me that they would call me after 72 hours with the results of the investigation.

Well I got back home and the next day I called and they were giving me the run-a-round saying that the manager was in a meeting and to call back. Well that I did. The next time I called they said the manager was on lunch and I told them to put someone else in charge on the phone and they payed dumb.

Long story short, I escalated to Apple Vacations and called corporated offices until I was blue in the face. on July 12th, this is what I have received from the director of the resort;

Riviera Maya, July 12th, 2010.

At´n: Mr. Butkovich Thomas
Thomas.butkovich@cevalogistics.com
In: 24-06-10 Out: 28-06-10

Dear Mr. Butkovich,

We appreciate the valuable time you took to share the comments and suggestions about your stay in our Hotel. Feedback from our guests past and present is our principal devise for improving our services and achieve our goal of complete customer satisfaction.

Mr. Butkovich, I want to take this opportunity to send you and your wife our sincerest apologies for the shameful incident that you experienced during your resent stay.

At the moment that you reported to Security and Front Desk staff that your watch was missing from your room, they attended you and proceeded to do the necessary investigations with our Housekeepers and Supervisors Staff and none of them were implicated. However it is necessary to let you know that most of our Staff that attended you has a lot of time with us and never had been involucrate in a situation like this one.

Mr. Butkovich, it is very important to let you know that we have a security system that consists of:

• Close –circuit television with cameras in the halls and public areas.
• Electric door locks that register the date and time that doors have been opened.
• The safes work with a secret number that the own guest registries in a private way, the system also registries the date and time of the apertures.
• The Security Staff supervises all public areas and buildings.
• All employees pass by a check point and go through a metal detector arch.

We have investigated the date and times that your watch was missing and the electronic door lock indicates that during that time the door was opened only with your magnetic card keys. We also checked out the front & balcony door and it seem that no one try to open them.

The same way, our Security Staff spoke to the housekeeper and she does not remember seen your watch, we also verified in the laundry if by an accident appeared in the sheets but neither was found. We also checked the video took by our camera where we can appreciate who passed near to your room and we did not detect something abnormal.

By the other hand, I want to let you know that in this hotel it is not allowed to sell or consume drugs; in case we know about someone that is doing drugs we let it know to the police or the proper authorities.

Mr. Butkovich, it is very important to let you know that the hotel is not responsible for valuables that are not deposited in the safe However as a gesture of goodwill Barceló Maya Beach Resort offers you and your wife (two pax) a VIP treatment for your next visit, that consist in the following list:

• A Welcome letter by the Management.
• A Fruit case
• A Bottle of Champagne
• A Mayan Liqueur
• An Ocean view room (subject to the availability).

If you decide to visit us again, please let us know the new dates that you will travel, to make sure that everything goes great.

Mr. Butkovich once again I want to apologize for the inconveniences. We hope you give us a second opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,

Armando Becerra Montiel
Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical
(984) 875-15-00 Ext. 7722
 (984) 875-16-37
secretaria.direccioncolonial-tropical@barcelomaya.com

What a bunch of crap. If you read the entire letter you would have read about the drug problem which will be described in the next paragraph.

So my wife was in the lobby bathroom of the colonial portion of the resort and heard 2 girls in the bathroom laughing and sniffing away. When My wife left the adjacent stall to was her hands, see seen a lady from the front desk and she apologized to my wofe for this and then proceeded to try and get the girls out of the stall. When my wife walked out of the bathroom the resorts security is waiting outside of the bathroom. If the security is all standing out side of the bathroom WHO IS SEARCH FOR MY WATCH????? Priority my A*%!

The girls were taked to the front desk by where we were sitting. Convienient for us, we got to overhear the entire conversation. Well the parents of these to 15-16 year old drug addicts were called to the front desk. the parents of the year of these 2 girls were screaming not at their daughters but at the staff of the resort. The passports of the girls were taken and then they were all escorted to the main office. What do you think Happened to these girls? Apparently nothing because the very next day, we've seen them walking around the pool as if nothing happened to them at all.

Please do not visit this resort. It is all B.S.! I am continuing to fight the battle of my watch and I will continue to post bad reviews of this hotel and any updates. Once again, read all of the reviews on this resort. Filter all reviews bad the lowest reviews first. you will find that this resort employes theifs and will lie straight to you face.

Lastly I will all of the bad thins about the resort and then all of the pros

CONS:
Slugs about 1-3 inches long line the hallways of the rooms
Rooms sucked.
Very humid in the rooms that the mirrors fog up and the bedding is damp
roach was found in our room
Food was horrible.
lost 12 pounds due to digestive issues 2 weeks after I returned home
Employees lie straight to your face
Premium alchol will cost you $3 dollars at an all inclusive resort
Management is horrible
long walk from room to evrything the hotel has to offer
stores did not accept US Currency. Had to get a receipt from store, walk to lobby and pay in US currency and take receipt back to store to pick up purchase

PROS
Pool/s
My loving wife and 2 friends

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tbutkovich

Dear tbutkovich,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends, we are sorry about the inconvinience, we will work in all the complains.
We look forward to host you.

Respectfully,

Kind Regards,
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2010

My daughter and I spent 7 days at the Colonial and just loved all of it. Thank you to those who mentioned the matress pad between the beds, and ordering the restaurants early. I took mine out and used it, but my daughter didn't. We both slept well for we took ear plugs as some mentioned too. We also took dryer sheets to help with the musty smell. I would suggest you bring your own snorkeling gear tho. We didn't and the $50.00 deposit each person and waiting for snorkeling equipt. wasn't that great. We enjoyed all the restaurants we went to. We ate at the Italian, Japanese, Seafood, and outdoor Mexican. We liked all the food. We enjoyed the buffets too. We only at breakfast twice as we were still full from the night before. The night shows were fine. We stayed on the third floor and I left a $1.00 on my pillow every day and everyday our room was cleaned and restocked. We really enjoyed everyone at the hotel and all were very good to us and we couldn't have asked for more. Beautiful beach and water, very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2010

Dear teeter10,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence.
We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2010

Basically all the reviews here were true. The complex was beautiful. The beds/pillows are hard. The food was very good. The service was inconsistent - from excellent to poor with everything in between. All in all, our trip was mostly positive. We stayed away from the beach since TS Alex had just come through and the beaches were very windy. We would lay by the pool all day and sip drinks. We sat at the swim up bar and noticed that if you stay in one spot for a little while and tip the bartenders they will keep your drink full. If you walk up and are new to the bar, it may take a few minutes to get served (no more than 5 minutes ever). The buffets were wonderful - breakfast, lunch, dinner. I loved their chips and green chile and eating refried beans with breakfast. Plenty of selection for everyone. Dining room was never full, so we never felt rushed to eat. Plenty of servers to take care of you. A few nights, we stayed for an hour after eating and just ordered drinks from our server. We always tipped after buffet dinners also. Went to Xel Ha and Tulum one day. Very touristy. They were nice, but the entire time I was wishing to be laying back by the pool sipping drinks. Booked a couple's massage from a guy that was walking around by the pool. He gave us a good deal and the massage was very relaxing (I fell asleep during it). For the a la carte's we had to return to the concierge a few times to get what we wanted since they were mostly booked. We did eventually get what we wanted - Japanese, Steakhouse, and Seafood. All three were good, but the Japanese was the best. Found out that they do not like making the Mayan Coffees because then everyone in the restaurant sees it and they all want it. Ask if they can make it in the back and bring it out. Yes, the coffee making show is good but I can understand why they don't want to be making these all night for everyone. It takes some time to perform. We definitely had a great time and we would like to take our children back when they get a little older. This place is perfect for families.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Dodgepack,

The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,