“retirement trip and 25th anniversary”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Lincoln, Nebraska
“retirement trip and 25th anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We really loved this resort for the beach and the snorkeling. it was fantastic, I have never seen some of the fish that we saw out on the coral reef.. loved the turtles... the only thing we thought was odd was that the beach bar and pools closed at 7pm. so to congregate and socialize with people you had to go upstairs to the lobby or the veranda. would like to have sat down by the ocean and enjoy the waves. there is a lot of walking and we asked to switch rooms as my knees are bad. we did get in the Michaocan building, which cut off some walking. I could handle that. the food was really good, we had no problem finding food that we liked. the fruit was very good and ripe. my husband is kind of a picky eater and he had no problems. the french rest. was awesome, and yes the brazillian with its 7 courses of meats, I could not finish but the taste was very good. flavorfull and grilled just right... our room on the 3rd floor was great and the air worked just fine and it was very clean. beds are a little hard. all in all would go back. oh we thought the coco beach bar was too understaffed to handle all the people, and they weren't too friendly. maybe overworked? we took a snorkel trip with Deja vue out of Puerto Aventuras. the owner Roberto was great as was Pablo. they took us to see and snorkel with turtles and fish and we went 3 places, had lunch and a fantastic trip.I recommend them.

Room Tip: the closer building would be the Micoachan, our bottom room the 1st day smelled moldy, so we moved...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and evaluation. We are sharing all this with our staff in order to motivate them to keep up the good work .

We also want to offer you an apology due to the time it took for the reply as this feedback is of great importance to our hotel.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Polish first
Brantford, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We went here as a group of 8 (4 couples) with high expectations. My husband and I have been to the Mayan a couple times before and had a great experience each time. The other 3 couples, had never been to Mexico and one of the 3 are die hard cruisers and have never done an all inclusive. We thought that being a five star this place would be awesome. We were very mistaken. The resort itself is very beautiful and large. The service was well below average and quite disappointing at times. Even if you tipped the bar tender a hefty tip, they wouldn't acknowledge it or do any better on the service. The staff rarely smiled or said hello. Our room keys and phones were out of service more often than not for 3 of the four rooms. the rooms were nice but the pillows were too small and the beds were quite lumpy. The big shower was very nice and it was a great setup for the bathrooms. The food was great in the a la cartes but the buffet was very disappointing. You would think in Mexico it wouldnt be so hard to find Nacho's and Guacamole.

If you think this is like other all inclusive resorts and appreciate a glass of wine, you will be quite surprised to find out that the house wine is watered down. Admitted to us by one of our waiters. If you want nice wine, you have to pay for it and it is only sold by the bottle. average price is about $40 a bottle and they charge it to your room. The French restaurant was by far the best and if you like Escargot....be sure to order it there.

If asked whether or not we would go back, I dont think anyone in our group would return to this resort. Be very careful of the floors as well, they are very slippery and people were falling all the time. I fell one morning and was wearing runners at the time.

Everyone has a different idea of what is great. My husband and I love the Iberostar resorts and from now on will stick with them. We've never had an issue with food or service at any of them we've been to. And not just in Mexico.

The beach was very nice but make sure you bring water shoes as there are a lot of rocks and you will cut your feet.

The entertainment was just ok. Nothing worth writing about.

This is the first time I've written a review for any resort that was not completely positive. The great friends we travelled with were the highlight of our week.

Room Tip: ask for rooms closer to the lobby if you are not able to do a lot of walking.
2 Thank ChrisandCarla
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

buenos aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

The word "no" is banished here....everything perfect and the staff looks to it that every whim is satisfied....first class rooms, the food incredible, the amenities impeccable....you never want to leave!!!!!

Room Tip: near the beach and pools
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gloria i

Pocono Mtns. Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Anyone going to this resort will have a great time. Food, beverages, and restaurants are fab! The rooms are outstanding especially the "rain forest shower". We all enjoyed it! Friendly staff, great food at buffet in morning, lunch great! Wrist-bands to go to all the dinner venues on the property. The buffet was so good you really didn't need to go to the dinners, but, they were outstanding! The only thing that I did not like was the coral drop-off on the beautiful beach. It is beautiful but, on the Yucatican pennisula there is alot of coral. Great time, well worth your $$

Room Tip: It is in the middle of the Yucatan Pennisula. Travel to the Tulum Ruins will be about 1 hr. 40 mins...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Terry R

Red Wing, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We just returned from 6 days at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. Fabulous! I have been to many other resorts in Riviera Maya- Occidental, RIU, Moon Palace, Xcaret- and I have to say this ranks at the top. We travelled with three kids ages 8,9,11 and they had plenty to keep them busy here. The pool was huge and clean and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The beach was nice- I still prefer the beach by Playa del Carmen since it has no rocky areas, but having the reef right out from the beach at the Barcelo was great for snorkeling. My only criticism would be that it was difficult to get reservations at the restaurants. We were only able to try the French and steakhouse ones, but the food at both was excellent. The nice thing is that the restaurants have kids menus- something other all-inclusives have not had. I would recommend booking transport from the airport to the resort and back through their Vacationes company- we had private transport and they met us with a sign and left promptly from the airport- no hassles and no waiting for other travellers and no stopping at other resorts first.The rooms were nice and spacious with a great bathroom- nice rain showerhead. Like other reviewers, I will say there is a lot of walking here- very large resort but we knew that ahead of time and the grounds are gorgeous and my sons loved seeing all the iguanas and geckos along the way. Also, the buses run regularly to go to the other Barcelo resorts. We also enjoyed the Plaza Mexicana shopping area by the Barcelo Colonial. We are already planning to go back!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the ends of the buildings closest to the pool/beach since it is a long walk to the fron...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nancy B

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed at te palace from the 19th of February till the 26. Enjoyed absolutely everything from the beach to the pool and from the buffet to te a la carts. Remember a vacation is as good as you make it. This place was fabulous with amazing staff, I will be going back for a 3rd time!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Dono_bertuzzi
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace from February 20-26. We have previously stayed at the VIM. I tried to book the VIM again for this trip but it was out of our price range. When I found a good price at the Barcelo I figured I’d give it a shot. I’m so glad that I did. As much as we loved our stay at the VIM, we like the Barcelo even more!

Pools: We spent all of our time at the Palace’s main pool. It was even bigger than it looks in the pictures. The water temperature for February was wonderful – in the 80’s. I had seen pictures of the built-in cement loungers and thought they looked so uncomfortable. Much to my surprise, they were extremely comfortable. Anytime we needed to cool off we just laid on them! The only negative about the pool was the fact that by 8:00 there weren’t any chairs left by either pool. After the first day, we ended up putting our towels out around midnight to make sure we had two chairs the next day.

Food: While the buffet food is fine, I can see why people complain about getting bored, especially if you eat at them for all three meals every day. So, after the first day, we made sure to get reservations at the ala cartes for the rest of our stay (which was very easy to do – we just kept checking back every day at the desk in the lobby and things always seemed to open up). After that, we enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and lunch and then had AMAZING dinners every night. We did the show table at the Japanese (which we booked at the Colonial lobby after the Palace lobby told me there were no openings all week) – had the surf and turf, tempura veggies and shrimp, and the tempura ice cream and coconut pudding which were all wonderful! Then we went to Caribe – had the king crab (so good), port lobster (pretty good) and the trio of chocolates (wonderful!) Next we went to the French restaurant – had the surf and turf, shrimp salad (warm breaded shrimp), and apple crepes which were again all so good! The following night we went to the Mexican restaurant – had the veggie quesadilla and the shrimp entrée – both were pretty good. Finally, our last night we went to the Brazilian restaurant – there really isn’t a choice in what you eat but I will say that we loved this meal. Trying all seven meats was really cool. Some we loved, some we liked, and some we didn’t really care for. Let’s just say we certainly didn’t go away hungry! I would highly recommend every restaurant we went to. Not only does it give you a break from the buffets, but the food is just so good. I honestly gained 6 pounds in 6 days! Plus the service was great in all of them. Most had two waiters per table which meant you never wanted for anything!

Entertainment: We didn’t go to many shows but we did manage to catch the Circus show – which was just awesome to watch. We did the karaoke night but there were technically difficulties so that put a damper on it. We weren’t there for the Battle of the Sexes otherwise we totally would have gone to that one. Mostly, we just wandered to a different bar each night. Between the five resorts, we definitely felt like there was always some place new to go. We also went to the Plaza shopping area where we bought all of our souvenirs, played mini-golf which was fun (very jungle-like) and we left the resort to go to Coco Bongos – which we feel is a “must-do” – it was our third time going!

Wifi: We didn’t upgrade to CP so we did pay for Wifi. It was $12 for 24 hours. We bought it two different nights, both after 7pm, and it lasted throughout the next night so we basically paid for two days and had internet for four days. The signal was fine in our room and in the lobby, but not so great by the pool.

Room: The room was huge and the bed was fine. Yes, the pillows are a bit small, but I just put one of the "throw pillows" under my pillow and that worked out great! The little drying rack on the balcony was very convenient! The rain shower was great too - my husband actually wants to install one in our bathroom now!

Overall, I can say without a doubt that I would recommend this resort! Personally, I don’t think we would have enjoyed the Tropical/Colonial as much after visiting them, but I guess if you’re on a budget it would be fine. We just felt like the service was better at the Palace and we really enjoyed having privileges at all five resorts. Oh, and as for the walking, I never felt like anything was too far away - even in heels! Plus, when we visited the other resorts we usually took the shuttle which came every 10-15 minutes. Please feel free to contact me with ANY questions!

26 Thank hspaz

#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,910 reviews
26.4 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,153 reviews
8.7 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!