“Great stay for spring break”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wisconsin
“Great stay for spring break”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I just returned from the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe with my husband and 10yr old daughter. We stayed March 30- April 6, 2012. I have been to TONS of all-inclusives but never the Barcelo chain of hotels.

We did email the hotel about 7 days prior with our requests - understanding it was just a request. We did request the Michocan building, closer to the main pool, 3rd floor and a room with a king. We ended up with all of these things- room 8169 overlooking the main lobby car port and also a view of the ocean. It was wonderful. We arrived at the hotel around 1230pm and our room was also ready. We were not expecting that during high season. They were doing the hotel check in at the Chac-Halal meeting room across from the theatre. It was a large room, nice chairs and welcome drinks. We were able to walk right up and check in. We had not opted for the reqular Apple Vacations free transfer bus with 50 other people. We had upgraded to private/non stop transfers which was great. The Cancun airport was VERY busy due to spring break. We actually landed and no jetway there. We had to get onto a bus and be transfered to a door to then proceed into Customs. Since our transfers were non stop the ride was only 50 mins.

After checking in and getting our bracelets, we did go into the lobby and make our dining reservations right away as everyone had suggested. I think a Friday arrival (the Sat arrivals were crazy) and also because it was only 3 people- helped us with our reservatoins. The reservation system is very slow. Only 1 poor girl working, not very friendly, overworked and just a long system. We could not get ANY a la cartes for our 1st night unless we wanted 530pm or 930pm, which we didn't want either. We choose the buffet at the Midador/La Hacienda buffets since it was Mexican night. The variety of food was amazing and we were not disappointed at all. We were able to get dining for the rest of our stay. We liked to get the "normal" times of between 7pm-8pm. We ended up with Caribe 2 times at 7pm and 730pm, Rodizio Brazillian at 730pm, La Brasserie French 2 times at 730pm and 830pm and then Kyoto Japanese at Palace at 830pm. We asked for ANY at the other resorts and it was almost impossible for anything at those unless it was the 530pm or 930pm time slot so we were fine with what we got. The French was by far the best. The service and menu were great if you like that dining experience. I usually am okay with Brazillian but this one was just okay/not great. It is a lot of meat. Japanese food was very good, however waiters were very rushed and sweaty since this is in the Coral Grille restaurant and is open air. We had sushi, miso soup and each had a meat choice with tepanayki style served but just not the show kitchen. I had the shrimp and there were tons. Husband did the steak and lobster one and tons of meat. We only ate breakfast 2 times (just not breakfast people) however when we did go it was great. Again a HUGE selection. We always did lunch in the main buffet- it just had more choices at AC. The Coral Grille was opened longer but smaller selection and also open air. My only complaint is they need to be more organized when you walk in. You are not sure if you should seat yourself, wait for a greeter, waiter etc to seat you. Sometimes they did and sometimes you finally walked towards a table and they would tell you it was okay or not. Breakfast was more crazy. Some people would not get a table 1st. They would walk in and get their food. Then walk around looking for a table and then get one before the other people waiting since they were standing around with full plates. The workers that area also trying to serve coffee and other drinks are also running around to bus the tables and reset them. They do really need some servers that only bus tables to allow the waitstaff to pay more attention to service.

The pool at the Palace was great. It is huge with tons of in water loungers, fountains, shallow bubble pool etc. It is true that TONS of people do play the towel game. I only went down 1 time at 7am and put 2 towels down at the pool chairs and got the ones we wanted. All the other days we went down around 930am -1030am and 1 day after a Dolphin exursion we didn't go down until 2pm or so. We always got 1-2 chairs at the pool. There is NEVER a problem to get chairs at the beach. Yes- many people reserve chairs for everyone in their party and only a few people actually lay in them. We were always fine if we got 1 chair just to put our beach bag, towels,, sunblock etc. Otherwise we didn't lay in our chairs. There seemed to be more chairs available around the kiddy water park in the afternoon (maybe naps) so you can even find 1 here and 1 there and then pull them together. There was staff pulling beach loungers up to the pool area to provide more there. We did bring along a blow up chair, raft and innertube also. You can purchase them there, but it will cost much more. We also brought water balls and frisbees for the pool.

We were for sure there during the BIG spring break time. There were very large groups from many high schools. I guess I didn't realize that it is very popular in many states to travel in groups of 70-100 people from your school. It was high school seniors on spring break with either their parents or chaperones. All in all they were good, however they drank morning , noon and night. They did have beer bongs etc in the pool. Many would butt in and yell over you for a drink at the bar. It did seem that bartenders were told to pay attention to the adults and not spend all their time with the kids. They were serving lots of "rail"drinks at the pool bar, however you could ask for brand names and they would make it. New favorite drink- The Iceburg. Half beer, topped off with blended margarita. Sat was the busiest day at the pool with spring breakers. After that it seemed that they organized more activities down at the Tropical/Colonial for them. They would bus groups down to Jaguars Disco around 11pm and they were crammed. It was good that they got most of them out of the lobby bars around that time. The pool bar was monitered by a manager that would walk through the area in the swim up pool bar where the bartenders where and make the kids hold up their arms to show their bracelets. Anyone under 18yrs had on black ones.. There was a sign posted saying if a minor was caught drinking then their room would be fined $250. Of course many minors had their friends get drinks and them pour them into their bubba kegs. I did see the manager walk up to kids with the kegs, take a drink and then throw out the drinks. We also heard of kids flipping their wristbands to make them look white (one of the adult colors) and getting caught. So I do think the hotel tried the best they could. I did not see the infamous Wayzata High school group, so maybe they tried a new hotel this year. I do think Barcelo must have a name for themselves for a great high school spring break location. I have never seen so many. We stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Maya last year and never encountered ANY spring breakers except for a few kids with parents, but no groups at all. It did get old after awhile, but all in all they were good.

We did beach walk daily, the beach in from of the Palace is the most rockey. The best beach area is in fron of Caribe/Maya Beach on the far end. Walked out to the water sports pier where there were tons of fish you could either feed or swim with. Beaches were red flagged for about 3/4 days of our trip with water too rough. The watersports area was not allowing the stuff to go out. We did see 1 guy capsize his hobie cat and workers had to go out and help him.

Lobby bar was very nice, however VERY loud and bad for accoustics with large groups in there. If you got a drink and went out into the actual lobby or the outside areas it was much better. Not enough waitstaff in here so quicker to get your own drink. They always had popcorn popping and other treats like nuts, desserts and even mini sandwiches at times. I loved how every bar would give you full big bottles of water when you wanted water.

Our room was always cleaned at good time and restocked daily. Our bed was very lumpy and the pillows are very hard. The house red wine is HORRILBE, just like people say. The nightly shows are great for the quality of talent. The showroom is airconditioned and has great comfy chairs. There is tons of space so you don't feel cramped on each other. The singers and dancers are great. We went to the Variety show (sometimes a MJ show) , Fantasia (Disney show), Mexican show and Cubanisimo show. The costumes this hotel invests in is just crazy.

We did do the dolphin experience at Dolphinaris. This is only 7 mins away. We pre-booked it on their web site and got a 25% discount for prebooking and doing it on a slow day- Sunday. They provided the transfers also. It was a great experience. We did the 1/2 day morning session. We did go into Playa del Carmen 1 day around 1030am. We choose to take a cab. It was 20 min away and was 230 pesos each way.

We did do the express check out as advised the night prior. We stood in a long line in the lobby to firm up our bill and pay it off. Then we were told to just drop off our room keys and towel cards or if we didn't have towel cards (which were didn't since towels were just in room) then to leave them in the room. There was to be a special line for this. They didn't have this set up and the line was again long since a large bus was trying to check out. The check out people were not friendly and only 1-2 on staff. After waiting 15min they put up an express check out sign, we all moved to that spot and then she picked up the sign and moved it to the other side of the counter without saying anything. We all moved there then and waited for someone to help us. After someone came , then it went quickly, but really no system or organization for this to make the express check out go smoothly.

Let me know if you have any questions to my recent stay and I will try to answer them. I am sure I left tons out of my report.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank EMOinWI
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 21 April 2017
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and evaluation. We are sharing all this with our staff in order to motivate them to keep up the good work .

We also want to offer you an apology due to the time it took for the reply as this feedback is of great importance to our hotel.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My 18yr old daughter and I stayed at the Barcelo with a group for a senior spring break trip April 1-7, 2012. We requested the Oaxaca (pronounced "wah-ha-ca") building since it is closest to both Adults Only pool and the main bar pool as well as access to the beach. The property and beach is beautiful. We shared our Junior Deluxe Suite with another mom and her daughter. Our entire group agreed that for a premium all-inclusive property, the beds and pillows were on the weak side. The bed mattresses were of very average quality and only double size, not queens. The pillows were very poor. Other than that, we found the food buffets to be fabulous and the all around environment/decor/service, etc. to be quite good. People in our group who had been here before knew that if you want to eat at any of the theme restaurants, you must try to book reservations for them immediately upon checking in. They fill up quickly. Many thought the French restaurant was the best. I enjoyed that one a couple of nights, but I actually prefer the great variety of food available at the evening buffets because I like to dabble and taste many different dishes. I also liked the relaxed scheduled of going to the buffet instead of getting ready for timed dinner reservation. Allow at least 2 or more hours for a mulit-course meal at the French. We agreed with other reviewers who've said the house wine is terrible. If you want top shelf liquor in your drinks, you must know what to request and tipping the bartenders helps greatly. Someone had advised me to bring loads of ones for tipping throughout the week and I was grateful I was prepared. Even though it is an all-inclusive, we almost always tipped $1-2 to each wait person, cleaning staff daily, etc.

This property is huge and requires a LOT of walking. I enjoyed that for the exercise--but do not come here if walking ability is limited. One must be able to walk a great deal OR actually be in a wheel chair. There is no "in-between" in that regard.

I really enjoyed the beach. Because there are 5 Barcelo properties all lined up along this stretch of beach, one can enjoy long walks along the entire stretch. The Palace Deluxe (the top tier of them all) is located on the north end with a mix of pretty rocks (where the restaurants are all located near the water for pretty views) and sand for entry into the water for swimming. One can snorkel right off the property. But I swam without a mask and enjoyed seeing two sea turtles come up for air right beside me. If you have water shoes, bring them, and then you won't have to worry about the rocks at all.

Our group arranged for an afternoon snorkel trip right off the pier on the property. I would say the snorkeling was very average as compared to what we've seen in other locales such as Cozumel or Grand Cayman. But it was fun to get out on the water. Some dads in our group went out on a Deep Sea Fishing excursion and they all got very seasick as the wind flags were flying at "red" almost every day we were there. (The shape and size of the fishing boats lead them to bob and weave to a much greater extent than our big speed boat did for snorkeling. No one was seasick on our snorkel excursion even though it was still a windy day.)

There were two theaters with evening shows at about 9:30pm. They reminded me of cruise shows except the quality was not as good as what we've seen on Norwegian cruises for entertainment. Some of them were themed for younger children such as a "Toy Story" themed show and a "Mini-Disco".

Since it is popular spring break destination for teens, one will definitely encounter their shenanigans if you travel here during those times..They like to go to the "Jag" disco which is open 11pm-2am each night. There is a shuttle bus system around all of the connected Barcelo properties on this stretch of beach. There is a black market for the "18 and above" wrist bands which allows one to order drinks. The hotel does their best to crack down on kids and parents under the age 18 who try to share or switch wrist bands so their 17 yr olds can get into the disco with their friends. If one gets caught with a false wrist band or one gets "lost", there is a hefty price to pay. Since my daughter was legitimately 18, I didn't have to worry about that.

I will say that the Barcelo property next door down the beach from the Palace Deluxe seemed much wilder with louder music and dancing at their pool bar during the day. The Adults Only pool at the Palace, however, was extremely peaceful with a nice mix of shade and sun. One day, a guest brought his own portable Bose speakers and was playing the music at his chair. It didn't really bother me since I didn't mind his choice of music, but I believe the hotel staff should not allow that at a pool that is kind of promoted as the quiet one. There may be someone who doesn't want to hear someone else's. He did that two days and no one told him to turn it off.

We saw many kids who were not really handling their new experience of "drinking freely at the bar" very well. I would not recommend bringing your teen here unless you're confident they are mature enough to handle it appropriately because there are many temptations. Our group of parents communicated well amongst ourselves regarding curfews, making sure all of them returned home safe from the disco, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ardmore32

PEI
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I just arrived back from the Barcelo Palace on the weekend. Our travel agency escorted a group of 50+ clients for 1 week.

Resort: I was dreading the ride from the airport, but it went by very quickly. The complex is 5 resorts in 1, so it's very large. There are shuttles that go through the complex often. The resort is very clean and decor amazing. Marble floors throughout and the seating in the lobby and lobby bar are lovely. We had a seperate check-in so it went very smoothly.

Staff were very friendly and the service was great!

Weather was perfect the entire week.. it called for thunderstorms almost every day but we didn't even get an afternoon shower. It was overcast for about 2 hours one day, but it was nice to get a break from the sun.

Drinks were pretty good.. in the lobby bar, there is a small drink menu (only one they had) but they will make whatever you ask for. The daquiris were especially good. Lobby bar was quite nice, but very loud, so we sat on the seats on the balcony outside the bar.

We went to the shows each night. They were good.. some were quite cheesy though.

Rooms: The rooms are stunning!! Nice decor, very clean, large, and didn't have any issues at all. Mini fridge was restocked daily. We stayed on the second floor and didn't notice any musty smell. The beds and pillows are quite firm, but I still slept well. The bathroom is large and has a rainshower, which is nice. Didn't deliver a lot of pressure though so I used the other one the majority of the time. Two couples had issues with their fridges not working, but were taken care of almost immediately.

Beach: The beach was pretty nice.. In some spots there were a few rocks upon entering the water and the sand was a bit rough, but if you walk further down the beach, the sand is much softer. It's a long stretch of beach, so it was nice to walk. Always a lot of beach chairs to choose from. The beach was windy so for those who can't take the heat all the time, the breeze was nice, opposed to the pool area, where it was very hot. The waves were a bit rough a few of the days, which made the visibility in the water a bit foggy. You can see a variety of fish, even in knee deep water. We took bread from the buffet to feed the fish. They surrounded us, very cool. We also saw turtles almost every day.

Pools: The main pool was very large and spread out, so it wasn't too crowded. Music played daily and there's a variety of activies so it's a fun, active atmosphere. On the contrary, the adult pool is very quiet and relaxing. There's a bar for the adults pool too. There was a water park area for the kids which was great for the families. Only problem with the pool area was that the chairs were always reserved by 8 am. People had the side tables on the chairs to hold them, which I thought was ridiculous. There are signs that say no reserving, but that doesn't have an effect. Another agent and myself managed to find 2 chairs together 2 of the days, but they go quick.

Food: The food was amazing! The buffet was very large so there was always a lot of variety. I'm a picky eater, but went back to the buffet a few times to refill my plate. We had unlimited a la cartes, but chose to do only three as the buffet was so good. We did the Japanese, French, and Seafood, which were all at the Palace side of the complex. My favorites are in the order listed. The shrimp and rice at the Japanese was delicious, as well as the tempura ice cream. There were 6 of us at the French restaurant, and all of us really enjoyed it.. the others booked it again for the next night.

Many of the clients did the excursion to Ek Balam, which are newly discovered ruins and cenotes (underground caves). Most of them said they would recommend it, with the exception of a few who didn't like the drive to the two separate sites.

Another agent and I went to the Xcaret park. We are both animal lovers, the main reason why we chose this excursion. It was $139 and included the admission, lockers, towels, snorkeling equipment, 1 buffet meal and drink and all the activities. We paid extra ($35) to swim with the stingrays which was amazing. The park was very crowded and it's very large, so it made for a lot of walking in the heat. There was a lot to see though and we thought we got our money's worth.

The only complaints I have was again, the lack of selection for the pool chairs. Also, there were a few student groups from the U.S. that were there, and they were very loud and drunk most of the time. We were woken up a few times throughout the night, as they made their way back from the disco. We went next door to the Tropical/Colonial section and the pool was taken over by them, so I'm glad I wasn't staying there. The senior agents said this wasn't a problem in earlier years, so maybe we happened to be there while they had their Easter break.

Also, guests from other sections aren't allowed to use our facilites, but we can use theirs. However, there was only a sign that indicated so, no security to stop you from coming over. There was one day though that we noticed two employees made a few people get out of the pool because they were staying in another section, as indicated by their bracelets.

We did a tour of the other 4 resorts in the complex. They were fairly nice too, but not in comparison to the Palace. There were obvious differences.. seating in the lobby areas showed wear and tear, buffet was smaller, therefore more crowded, with not as much variety as ours. Decor in the lobby areas were pretty though. There's also a shopping area which had a lot to offer.

All the guests on our trip were very pleased with their stay at the Palace and said they would recommend it. I've been to other AI resorts, and this is my favorite so far. It really set the bar high.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email.

Room Tip: Michoan (excuse my spelling) section was the closest section to the pool area and buffets.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank emsmac

Indianapolis IN
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This resort is definitely one of our favorites! We love the Activities and the new Couselor Orlando kept the energy fun all day long! There really is something to do for everyone here. We stayed at the resort March 29-April 5. There seems to be a decline in housekeeping. While the rooms appeared clean, under further inspection, they weren't. The walls in the shower in bathroom had a serious mold issue that could have easily been remedied if they were wiped clean with bleach. While the beds appeared to be clean and fresh, one day my son pulled off one of the sheets and underneath the top sheet was a very stained, hair ridden terry cloth pad. We looked at the other bed and it was the same way. Additionally, the mini bar had crumbs and debris from the previous guest. I think they need to check into this before I will return. My kids love this place. The food was fine. Drinks are excellent as always.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LA H
Ricardo R, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear IndianapolisNLori;

Thank so much for you kind review, we really appreciate this value information, we will share with our housekeeping departament, will get more attention on the issue of cleaning. I apologize for the inconveneinces you had in your stay with us, please we ask you a new oportunitty to erase that bad memory, contact me at subdirgralpalace@barcelomaya.com, I will looking to hear from you. I asure you will find your predilection place again.
Warm Regards,
Eden Prairie, MN
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My husband and 9 year old son were at the Palace March 23rd-30th. This was the BEST place we've ever been!! Last year it was Iberostar Maya and I thought that we could never beat that....well the Palace beat it hands down!! We will definately be returning for years to come!! I have absolutely not ONE thing to complain about!! The room was amazing (we were in the Michochan building, oceanview and right over the main pool). At first I thought the location might be too loud, but it ended up to be the BEST--I could see the family in the pool from the balcony and could communicate with them easily. When my son was sick of swimming he could go to the room and sit on the balcony and play his video games and we could see him perfectly. It wasn't noisy either (close the patio door and it's silent).

The food was good at the buffets and GREAT at the French restaurant, we went there twice and had steak and lobster both times!!

The pools and beach are beyond words......huge, beautiful and the water in both were perfect! (I've always found the water in Cancun/Playa to be chilly).

We snorkled off the beach and I became addicted to it.....I would say to myself, just a few more minutes and I have to go in......another 1/2 hour would go by and I was still hanging out with my new fish friends....you have to have your hands out in front of you or they will literally swim into your mask....they are so tame and used to humans!!

I would also HIGHLY recommend going "off campus" to Puerto Adventuras...only a 5 minute cab ride from the Palace. Great shopping, great resturants (Latitude 20 was the best!! Great food, great staff and fun watching the fishing boats come in with their daily catches) and as an added bonus, you can watch the dolphins, manatees and sea lions for free--up close and personal!!

Back to the resort....our son went to kids club for one full day and loved it so much he asked if he could go back for dinner and the movie---it was great to have an adult day AND dinner for two for one night!!

This is it for us...after trying 5 different resorts over the last 5 years looking for "Paradise", we have absolutley found it!!

Amazing, beautiful, breathtaking, relaxing and perfect!!!

Oh, and as for the customer service, not one complaint--check in took about 10 minutes and check out took about 5 minutes!! We had great service around the pools and at all resturants and buffets.

I would absolutely recommend upgrading to the Club Premium...the view itself along with the convenience to the lobby, pools, beaches and resturants makes it worth every dime. Loved the free WI-FI and room service too (best room service we've had....the food was HOT and very tasty)

Don't take a chance on another resort.....this is it!!!! PARADISE!!

Room Tip: Splurge and go Club Premium.....worth every dime!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Blake0215

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 7 April 2012

If you are in college and want to go for Spring Break, this would be a great choice for you. Prices also seemed reasonable. Otherwise, forget it. I'm in my mid-40's and consider myself fairly open-minded and flexible. However, I was not impressed overall with this hotel as it is just too big, confusing and noisy. I have stayed at all-inclusives in Ixtapa and had a great time.

About 60 of us traveled here for my niece's wedding. I was with my mom, who is 89 and healthy. The walk from our room to the main pavillion was about a half-mile, and by the third day, she was having problems with her legs. We tried to get her a room that was next to the pavillion, but we got a total run-around and just gave up. The other grandparents had similar issues. When we asked the staff about this, they said we could take the bus, or rent a golf cart for $80 a day. It just didn't seem like they cared very much. When we asked about excursions, most of them were on buses with 50 people or so. I asked about hiring a private taxi driver to take us around, but he said this was too expensive (I guess he didn't get commission for this). We also found that almost all the attractions were mega-family places like huge water parks, and other tourist attractions. Didn't I just tell him that my mom could not walk very far???? At this point, we thought of transferring to another hotel that was quieter and more relaxing, even though we would lose all this money from this resort. Don't get me wrong, the architecture and beauty of this place is unbelievable. However, the resort is so big that the whole thing becomes a bit of a joke - they have so many rules that they should give an orientation or guidebook of all of these so you know what the heck is going on.

One of my main problems was that I was here to relax and there is hardly anywhere you can go that doesn't have music blasting including the restaurants, bars, pool, and even the bus that travels throughout the resort complex. There were seemingly thousands of rowdy and drunk high school and collegee kids there screaming and carrying on. I felt like I was at a 24-hour rock concert. We constantly were moving from bar to bar to avoid the college kids who took over places with their drinking and behavior. There was a rumor that a girl died the week before from alcohol poisoning.

The food at the buffet was ok, but got old after a week. I'm not a fan of eating tuna salad that a lady just sneezed on or bread that was touched by a kid who just got done picking his nose.
To get into the nicer restaurants, you had to make a reservation, which required standing in line in the lobby for about a half-hour to see what was available - there was no option to call in, or reserve online. We never did participate in this, and I believe the resort wants people to give us and just eat in the cheaper buffet restaurants, which we did. There were three live theatres onsite, but to get a schedule, again you had to stand in the same line to get the schedule, which had no explanation of what each show was about. When we were leaving, I wanted to print out our airline boarding passes, but we had to pay for the Internet in the business center and their printer had no ink, so that was a bust (most places I have stayed allow guests to print out boarding passes for free). Someone in the party found poop in the pool.

The staff here was very courteous, even when the Spring Break kids were extremely rude to them - I don't know how the staff can tolerate it. Although the staff was courteous, they rarely went "above and beyond the call of duty" to help us out when we had problems. I think they are just bound by so many rules. After I was at the resort for a few hours, my dream of having a relaxing vacation were snuffed out. If I owned/managed this property, I would break the resort into three different areas: one area for adults who want a romantic/relaxing vacation, one area for drunk college kids, and one for families with kids. I had been dreaming of going to the Cancun area for decades, and it is so sad for me that I had a rotten time. I don't think I will ever eat at a buffet again.

Room Tip: Reserve a room with an ocean view or you will spend half of your time walking back and forth. One...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter F
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

edmonton
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We went for a 7 day vacation, with 2 other families and had an amazing time. The pools, beach, service and food were always great. A few areas to improve were the pillows were terrible, not sure why they were so hard and flat. Club Barcey is the kids program, it's really geared towards toddlers. My kids were 11, 9 and 6 and they had no interest in going to the club, frankly it looks like they would have been bored to tears from what I could see. The activities were about a 5 minute walk from our hotel at the other end of the resort. Shopping at Playa is a must and was a great time. I would book for 10 days next time, 7 days just didn't feel like quite enough. I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
26.4 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
29.7 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#80 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
2.7 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
31.2 km away
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!