“Great two weeks”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 February 2012

First off all we had a great time,the weather was good for the whole two weeks except for one day of rain. My wife and I read all the trip advisor reviews before we went so we were well informed about the hotel. The hotel is a smaller size which we liked,we booked a superior ocean front room which was actually very nice and not as noisy as we were expecting. We have very few complaints about this hotel,the staff were all great, we have been to this area numerous times and we felt that this resort has some of the nicest staff we have ever met. The snorkeling was ok not fantastic and the beach is small but we knew that going in and we were happy with the beach size. We had no problems getting into the ala cart restaurants,we tried the Japanese, Italian and the steak house,all were good. If were to complain about one thing it would be breakfast, the first week we were there the hotel was not at full capacity and there were no line ups at any of the buffet restaurants but the second week was a lot busier and there was always a line up at breakfast. The buffets are too understaffed and the employees can't keep up, there were mornings when we had a hard time finding what we liked for breakfast. There were always choices but not the choices that we liked !! We only got Bacon three mornings out of 14,maybe a good thing lol.

Overall we had a great time and would recommend this nice little well maintained hotel to anyone,the food overall was good,the entertainment staff were great,the nightly shows were good and we found the drinks to be good.One more small complaint was the money exchange,they wouldn't give anything under 100 peso bills,we are tippers and we ran out of small bills and could not get any from the money exchange,this needs to be improved!!!

Room Tip: We booked a superior ocean front and we very pleased with it. The other couple we went with had a re...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here in December 2011. The resort was very clean, excellent hard working staff, and great food. The beach was not perfect, but lots of available chairs when I was there. The collectivo bus was 20 pesos or so to Tulum/ Playa del Carmen. Taxi ride about 20- 25 USD. If I wanted to relax and stay in the Puerto Adventuras area I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colboyo

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Let me start out by saying I had a great vacation. I truly believe a trip is what you make it and if you go in with reasonable expectations and a positive attitude you can have a great time anywhere.

I just got back 1 week ago from the Cat. I traveled with my boyfriend (we are both 26), my parents, and good friends of the family. It was my 6th trip to Mexico and I know both my parents and friends have been more then that. We had a great time but there are lots of little things about this place that can get to you. Below I have listed a detailed review:

Check In:
Went fairly smooth. I orgignal rooms were not ready but it was only 1:30 so I don't expect them to be ready before 3 (nor should you) and I changed on the plane in order to be prepared for this.

Rooms:
My boyfriend and I upgraded to privileged right away. We didn't even see our original room we just knew we wanted to upgrade. The upgrade was $210 for the week and I was happy with the room. It wasn't anything extravagant but we had a nice king sized bed and a rain shower head (which was awesome). It was also very clean. The privileged rooms come with a mini fridge (stock daily), coffee maker, free safe and turn down service. My parents did NOT upgrade. The first room they had was TERRIBLE. I swear it is a room they show people to try to get them to upgrade. It was small, very out of date with a patio with a blocked view. They spoke to the front desk and got a room change. The new room was still a standard room but it was very nice with a GREAT view. IF I had of seen a room like this I may not of upgraded. Note: Standard rooms do not come with fridge, plasma TV, coffee maker and you need to pay for your safe.
As there are two sides to this resort (Yucatan Side, which are the standard rooms and Riviera Side which are the Privileged rooms) if you have a standard room you are futher from the "action" but it is quiter during the day and louder at night.

Food/Drinks:
Honestly, the best food I have had at an all inclusive . The buffet had a lot of choices, it would be very hard not to fins something you like. Also, the snac k bar had a lot of options and was pretty good as well. We ate at the Tapas (2 times), Japanese, Italian, and Steakhouse. Tapas was the best. Yes it is small portions but both my father and boyfriend have big appetites and were satisfied both times. If your still hungry go to the Creperie or hit the buffet. The Japanese was good, worth the show. Italian was okay, it depends on what you order (which I think is standard with most a la cartes). The steak house was hit or miss. My parents ate there twice and the 2nd time was much better then the first. The Creperie was okay but I found the crepes to be undercooked. My biggest complaint is not being able to make a reservation. You have to wait each night but you don't have to stand in a line like other reviews lead you to believe. You just need to put you name down and check back in or most places have a spot of you to sit and have a drink while you wait.
The drinks in my opinion were terrible. They had a fake taste to them. Of course I love beer
so this didn't bother me at all. Plus the mojitos, long island ice teas, and cosmos were tasty.

Beach:
If you are looking to walk a long beach and this is important to you then do not go here but otherwise it is GREAT! I sat on the beach everyday. We snorkeled a few times as we have our own equipment but the resort lets you use their for free. We had some clear days and saw some neat things. Also, the ocean water was really warm and great for swimming.

Pool:
They had several to choose from and they were clean and had a good temperature.

Service:
Okay. I have had better. Everyone seemed really nice but sometimes under staffed. I found Breakfast to be the worst. Also, the Italian was very slow. However everyone was nice and personable.

Spa:
Got a couples Swedish massage. It was 50 minutes and very relaxing. The staff was very friendly and professional. The spa services are decently priced. The facilities are very nice and clean.

Location:
1hr and 20 mins from the airport. Resort located in Puerto Adventurous and it was a neat little area to do some shopping and have happy hour. The gated community made me feel very safe.

Overall I had a great trip. It was a nice location but the people I travelled with is what made the experience. I find it is the little things this place can do to make a difference. Like a free safe in every room. Also, as coffee maker and fridge. Bottle water is hard to come by. We met a couple who was on there 11th visit and they said that management has changed and it has gone down hill in the past few years.

Overall it was a positive expierence. I think it would be hard to go here and not have a good time.

My only negative is that my new bottle of dolce and gabbana prefume got stolen from our room on the last day. We reported it and security came to our room and they did NOTHING. They said they would e-mail us. We have been back for a week and have heard nothing. This can happen anywhere and is paritially my fault for not putting it in the safe (but who keeps there perfume in the safe) but I just would of liked them to do something about it.

Room Tip: See your room before upgrading. It was worth the upgrade but if you don't care about the TV, Fri...
8  Thank ecef85
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Just came back from a two week stay and would not hesitate to come back again next year.We have stayed at many all inclusives over the years and there is always something one has that another doesn't and you wish you could take all the positives from all the resorts and put them in one resort. This is a small resort so it takes no time to walk anywhere even to the sister resort next door. You don't need shuttles here to get around. It is especially important if you have a disability like a wheel chair or walker that everything is so close. This not just a gated resort but it is a gated community. The gates are at the highway and once inside there is a small town with lovely restaurants, several shopping places for tourists, a beautiful marina, and also a marine centre where you can see dolphins, seals, manatees, etc. This is all free for you to see, unless you choose to actually jump in and swim with the dolphins then there is a charge. Then you also have the resorts, of Catalonia Yucatan,Riviera Maya and also the Dreams resort.

Food: There is two buffet style restaurants which were very good. Differant theme night and always something there that we enjoyed. There is a few ala carte restaurants, Japanese,Steak House,Mexican etc. Japanese was good but the best for us was the steak house. Steak was excellant and loved the french onion soup. There is no reservations for these places, first come first served. If you get there late and it's full you have to wait till the next sitting. We stood at about 530 to get the six pm dinner time. With drinks in hand and talking to people the wait went quickly and the food was worth it. There is also a place that makes desert crepes every nite which were fantastic. Besides crepes you could get sundays, milkshakes, banan splits etc. Great place if you have a sweet tooth :)

Rooms: Were clean and had no complaints at all. Everything worked. There is a charge for the room safe if you choose to get it. I think we paid $42 for the two weeks. There is also free WiFi in your room if you want to bring a laptop. One drawback was there is no fridge in your room. You start out with some bottles of water and when you empty them it is up to you to go to one of the bars or restaurants and refill them. You don't get any more brought to your room.

Grounds: Were very nice, lots of palm trees, srubbery etc. Pools are very nice with two swim up bars. You will be disappointed if you are an ocean person I think. The water is rocky going in because of broken corel so you have to be careful getting in and out. Water shoes would be a help. There is also a lagoon area which is very calm and sandy and no rocks.

I can't think of anything else off hand but if you have any questions, just send me an email and I will be happy to reply.

Room Tip: you can upgrade to a better room but I don't think it is worth the extra expense. We stayed in r...
5  Thank Liolynn

Reviewed 22 February 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the CAT mid January of 2012 and had a great vacation! We're in our late 20's and early 30's and had an excellent time.

I'm writing my review based on the things I look for in a resort. I've rated the resort as "very good". This is based on the price point for me, I think there is great value packed in to this resort. However this is an HONEST review as I know I appreciate reading the reviews that tell me exactly what to expect.

1) Check In/Accommodation: From the airport it is about an hour and 20 minute drive to the resort. We were in an air conditioned bus. When we arrived at the resort, they were very organized with regard to where we were being directed etc. The front desk staff were knowledgeable and friendly. We went in to this trip with the thought of potentially upgrading our room, when we were checking in they did have some upgraded suites available for an additional $25.00/per person, per night. We asked to be shown each room to see what we could expect, in less than 5 minutes we had an associate showing us each room and what to expect. The first room that we were shown was your typical "standard room". It had two double beds (the beds have concrete bases so you can not push them together.) The room was very plain, but would absolutely get the job done. The bathroom was like a super 8 motel bathroom, so don't be fooled by the fancy bathroom pictures, because these are as STANDARD as you get. The room was not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, just looked a little dated and didn't have the bells and whistles of the upgraded suites (obviously). After this he took us to the "new side". This is where you'll find the upgraded suites. Our first impression, stunning. We decided to upgrade right away. I've posted pictures of our room to show you what to expect when you get the upgrade. Huge bathroom, massive bedroom, a sitting room area and a gigantic deck with a tub (not a hot tub like some people have been saying, but just a regular tub). The room was always spotless as were the hallways and lobby. The bed is a king size and I found the bed comfortable. They also have a "pillow menu" if you are that picky. Everything worked in the room (fridge, phone, tv and AC) . Some of our friends and family wondered why we'd spend money "on a room you don't spend time in" but we actually did spend time in it...reading on the deck, having drinks in the sitting area, or even just watching some tv before bed.

2)Resort Spec's: The grounds of this resort were well kept and clean. The pool areas were never that crowded or busy, you could always find an empty place to sit and relax. The pool bars were generally busy, but again, every time we'd go up for a drink there was an open seat. They always had good music playing! The resort is actually quite small and self contained. We knew the layout by the evening of our first day there. The pools were quite large and had shallow areas for anyone who had kids. Getting a chair, not too difficult if you don't mind sitting in the shade. The "sun worshipers" usually would be up at the crack of dawn finding the best chairs for the day, so be prepared for this if you want to beach bum all day.

Beach: The beach is easily the biggest downside to this resort. There is white sand in the ocean and on the actual beach, but to get in to the ocean you have to cross a gigantic rock bed. I'm not talking pebbles, but full out rocks. I bought water shoes based on other reviews I had read, and I'm really glad I did, or else I would not have spent any time in the ocean. However, this did not take away from the GORGEOUS scenery that the beach did offer. It was absolutely stunning and as recreational photographers (its a hobby) it offered many opportunity's to take some fantastic landscape pictures. The lagoon area was really cool, tons of fish that just swim up right next to you. The benefit of having a beach in a rocky area was that you get to see all the cool fish!

Food: Food was actually pretty good for an all inclusive. Buffet was very Standard buffet food, had something for everyone. They always had fresh food out, and it was always full. Working in the food service industry I'm always quite particular in going to other countries and seeing how their "food handling" stacks up, but the hot food was hot, and the cold food was cold. The a la carte's that we visited were : Mexican - Amazing food, really nice atmosphere. Teppanyaki - Great showmanship. Food was the best we had the entire time. Italian - worst of all - Server took15 mins to see us, messed up our order and never came back to see us. Food was not awesome. Steakhouse - I had the ribs - very good, nice atmosphere.

Staff- Really top notch people that work here. They all gave friendly smiles and hello's when they pass you on the grounds. The entertainment staff were full of energy, but won't harass you like at some other resorts. We'd like to give a particular "shout out" to Juan, the bartender at the sports bar. He was fantastic.

Puerto Adventuras: Kind of cool little town. Really did not like to see all the marine life ( dolphins, manatees etc.) being cooped up in a marina where all the gas and exhaust from the boats was polluting the water they were in. It was actually quite sad. We were advised when going there not to support any of the business of the vendors selling "swim with the dolphins" by our travel company for this very reason. But the town did have lots of shops and stores that were pretty neat.

All in all, we would go back to this resort. It ticks most of the boxes when we're looking for a vacation spot.

Room Tip: Ask to see the newer rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jessie b

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just got back from spending a week at the Catalonia Yucatan Beach. Our group was 11 friends and we are all in our 20s. We were looking for a place to have a good time, enjoy some good drinks and food and soak up the sun.

I would say that the resort met my expectations, but struggled in a few areas. Overall we had a great trip, that I chalk up more to being in the company of amazing friends, then because of the resort itself.

Resort Overview:
The resort is smaller than most but still had lots of things to do. The entertainment staff is very friendly and works incredibly hard making sure you have a good time. The drinks are excellent and plentiful and the pools are excellent.

The criticisms of this resort identified in past reviews were pretty spot on. The basic rooms were very average, the beach is horrible.

The food in the a la cartes was good for the most part, while I found the buffet's to be lacking.

Rooms:
We booked a standard room with nolitours and had requested a king bed. We were disappointed to end up with a room with 2 double beds, although everyone in our group got 2 doubles instead of kings, and we had heard that the resort has only a few standard rooms with king beds. The inside of the room was pretty basic, and lower end. Beds were comfortable, but not amazing. TV was a really old tube TV (but who really goes on vacation to spend the day watching TV). My only real complaint was with the shower which never seemed to be able to keep consistent water pressure or temperature. The maids kept the rooms really clean and gave us a great collection of towel art throughout the week.

Staff:
On the whole, the staff at this resort was fantastic. Most of the staff were very friendly, especially the entertainment staff who went out of their way to make sure you were having a good time. Most of the waiters were excellent. We had a small issue at the front desk with check-in, but went back 30 minutes later and spoke with a different person who fixed the first person's mess. Our waiter at the Tapas restaurant was terrible, but everywhere else they were friendly, fast and accurate and did a great job.

Food:
To preface, my wife and I both have slight dietary needs, and as such do not eat pork. I had read about the wide variety of food at the buffets before leaving, but was very disappointed in the selection of food available. The main meat served at this resort is pork, and if you don't eat it you almost have to become a vegetarian for the week. By the end of the week I was very tired of having to eat the same 6-7 things every day. I will say that the snack bar was a great source of mid-day food, I much preferred this to waiting in line for the mediocre buffet.

We tried 4 of the a la carte restaurants. The Japanese was phenomenal. Our chef was great and the food was amazing. Both the Mexican and Italian restaurants were good but not amazing. I enjoyed the mexican, but didn't like the Italian, my wife really enjoyed the Italian, so it may just depend on what you order there. We went to the Tapas restaurant on the last night, but left incredibly disappointed. Our waiter was awful (he didn't even offer us drinks) and the food was quite average.

On one afternoon we took out bikes from the resort and biked to the taco stand just off the highway at the entrance to Puerto Aventuras. The restaurant, called Paco's Tacos was amazing, the best tacos I have ever had. To top it off it was insanely cheap (22 pesos for 2 shrimp tacos or 12 pesos for 2 chicken or beef tacos).

Bars:
We spent a lot of time at the Rivera Maya side pool bar which was great for making the best frozen blended drinks (try a riviera maya or a mango margarita), they didn't really know all the good shots or mixed drinks, but if you stuck with beer or frozen drinks you were in good hands. Otherwise we drank at the Tequila bar in the evening or the Chill out beach bar at night which was our favourite. The drink selection was very good, and despite having mainly domestic booze it was still decent quality. If you're a beer fan, make sure to try the cerveza negro (negro modelo) not just the corona, it is delicious. We went to the disco a few nights, its really fun when they're playing top 40s music, but pretty awful if their playing techno/house music. We also enjoyed the sports bar with free pool, ping pong and foosball.

Beach:
If you are the type of person who needs a good beach to enjoy a resort holiday than DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT! For all the good things about the CAT, the beach is abysmally bad. It is small and incredibly rocky. The staff have made ZERO effort to remove any of the rocks along the beach to make it even safe for guests. As an example, I sliced open my foot on the 2nd last day on a large rock which was left right at the waters edge.

Excursions: We went on the Altournative Coba Adventure tour which was amazing. Our guide, Miguel, was fantastic and it was by far the best excursion we have ever done on any holiday. We climbed Coba and had a guided tour of the other ruins surrounding it. We then went to a Mayan village were we rappelled into a cenote, canoed, ziplined and enjoyed a delicious lunch in cooked by the villagers. You have to do this trip!

All in all we had a great time on this trip, despite a few hiccups at this resort. It wasn't perfect, but for the price you're paying it is still very good value.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get a king bed if you book a standard room, they are few and far between at this...
1  Thank Noah F

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went on a group vacation with our close friends, and chose this location based on the recommendation of a couple in our group who had been before. Overall our group was very happy with the resort!

Getting There:

We travelled with Air Transat/Nolitours. When you are leaving the airport, avoid the shouting men and go straight to your bus! Do not get lured into the various things they are offering. Same with the trip back. Drinks were offered on the bus ride there, so bring cash if you would like to buy some (beer, pop, water). When we got to the hotel, they were very organized with unloading your bags. We were offered a "welcome cocktail". It took awhile to check-in, but everything went fine. Make sure if you are in a standard room and would like a safe that you request it at check-in, so you can avoid going back another time to get the pin.

Our Rooms:

We all had standard rooms close to one another. One person in our group had booked later and their room was far away, but they moved it to a much closer room after we requested it. The hallway side of our room overlooked another resort and the Puerto Aventuras marina, while the balcony side overlooked the Yucatan pool. We did not find the noise at night bad. The standard rooms are plain, but clean. If you want a luxurious room experience, upgrade. If - like our group - you only use your room to sleep and get ready, then the standard room will cover your needs! Nolitours gave us some free snacks and three bottles of liquor (gin, rum, vodka). Since there is no fridge we didn't open the drinks at all. The only complaint we had about our room was the weird water pressure - it constantly pulsed and went hot/cold. The cleaners are fantastic, we had wonderful towel art everyday. Also, don't bet on getting a king sized bed. We requested king beds for 5 out of 6 rooms, and all of us received 2 doubles. Be careful with your beach towels. They give you two at the start, and a couple of us had towels stolen from our beach chairs when we went to the snack bar. I'm thinking someone who lost their towels earlier and didn't want to pay took them. It is very easy to exchange towels here, there always seemed to be new ones available when we went.

The Grounds:

The grounds are very well-kept, lovely landscaping. It is a fairly small resort, which is great for meeting up with friends - easy to find! There are 5 pools - two bigger ones, one smaller one, and two with volleyball nets. There is a swim-up bar on each side of the resort. We usually spent days on the Riviera Maya side of the resort (more animacion activities, less crowded swim-up bar, next to the snack bar) and evenings on the Yucatan side (Pure Chill Bar on the beach, Tequila bar area both open and have hang-out areas). The beach is definitely the greatest downside to this hotel. It is thin, crowded and the water is full of rocks/coral/seaweed. I wish I had brought water shoes. One in our group cut their foot on the rocks. The "lagoon" area is less rocky, though very small so it does not facilitate ocean swimming. However, as many people mentioned, there are a lot of fish to enjoy. If you are looking for an amazing beach, this is not the place. But if you just like the beach for a view and to sunbathe, you will be fine! Yes, people play the "towel game" so you sort of have to play along. If you wake up early or aren't picky about where you want to sit you will be fine. There always seemed to be free loungers on the Yucatan side.

The Staff:

Although there were one or two bad experiences with staff, we found that overall they are very friendly, hard working and quick to help. Most servers and bartenders were pleasant and well-deserving of the tips that we left. I would suggest always putting the sign on the room for it to be made up, because it seems that the cleaners make it to those ones the fastest (we always put our sign up and it seemed our room was cleaned very early). The animacion staff here are fantastic - energetic, friendly, and they work hard to put together fun programs. We aren't usually the type to join in to the activities and found ourselves participating in many of them! Antoine, Moses, Enrique and Pita were especially fun. Antoine even dressed up as Cupid for Valentine's Day which was hilarious! We attended the Cirque du Soleil show and it was obvious that the staff had worked very hard on creating the best show possible.

The Food:

Our group had varying opinions on the food, but they were mostly positive. Some felt that the food was a bit repetitive while others thought it was a great selection. I think this mostly has to do with previous resort experiences (some had 5 star experiences, others had rarely travelled etc). I am a fairly picky eater and was very happy with the food. The buffets had a combination of Mexican and "American" style foods. There is always a salad bar. The Riviera Maya side buffet (open air) has generally more selection than the Yucatan (air conditioned) side. The RM side has both an omelette and crepe station at breakfast, as well as a make-your-own bloody mary station. At dinner there is a pasta station, which could use some toppings rather than just pasta and sauce. Service varied - we found some of the breakfast servers to be cranky and often did not come around with coffee, but others were wonderful. There is also a snack bar (Bambeleo Grill) which has burgers, hot dogs, wings, ribs, nachos, fries. . .much more choice than what I have experienced in the past at resort snack bars. Now onto the a la cartes. Right now there are no reservations, you show up and they either let you in or give you a time for a table. We got 4 tickets for the week, a lady I talked to in an upgraded room received 7.

Japanese (Mikado): Teppanyaki style. Due to no reservations, we had to wait an hour for our group of 11. This was no issue as there is a lounge and great bar to wait in - this is one of the bars with some more "premium" liquors. Teppanyaki is a really fun experience, and everyone in our group enjoyed this restaurant. The food was good - sushi appetizer, fried rice and choice of meat entree. They seat you in another area for dessert (we all had fried ice cream, very tasty). We considered going twice it was so fun.

Steakhouse (Bambeleo Grill): This is the snack bar during the day. It is an open air restaurant with a view of the pool/ocean. Most people that went here enjoyed the food. Most compliments went to the crab cake, New York steak and Thyme Chicken.

Italian: This is upstairs, indoor, view of the ocean. There is a bar and lounge area to wait in, again this has "premium" liquors. Almost everyone that went here really enjoyed their meals (and it was my favourite). There is a wide selection of choices at this restaurant. They also give you bread with oil/vinegar, and bruschetta to start the meal. Nice atmosphere.

Mexican: This is upstairs sharing the lounge for the Italian, with more of a pool view. I did not go here, but everyone that went said they enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it gets such bad comments on here. I'm wondering if it is because it is more traditional Mexican food rather than "Tex Mex". It seems like some people think that Mexicans eat fajitas with lots of cheese and sour cream. . .this is Mexico, not Lonestar!

Tapas: This is upstairs, some seating outside some seating inside, ocean view. We were seated inside and it was HOT. No fans, no air conditioning. Try and sit outside. There were mixed feelings on this restaurant. Some people were very happy and really enjoyed their meals. Others did not like it as much. We had diet restrictions in our group (pork, seafood, meat) and this made choices limited for these people as there was a LOT of pork and seafood on this menu. I did not enjoy my food at all.

Creperie: This is not an a la carte, but has a menu and you are served. This is right below the Tapas, fully outside. Everyone highly enjoyed the Creperie. There were great crepes, specialty coffees, and other ice cream items (milkshakes, banana split etc). We went multiple times and I suggest you try it too!

Excursions/Trips:

Adventure trip to Coba was DEFINITELY worth the money. It was an all day trip. Leaving early was worth it because we got to the pyramids before the crowds and got great pictures and had a more comfortable climb. I would not recommend climbing if you have health issues, it is steep and slippery and fairly high up. After we rappeled into a cenote, ziplined, canoed and had lunch in a mayan village. The food was wonderful. Bring a snack because you eat late ($129 pp). If you travel to Playa Del Carmen, ask the front desk for your options to get there. We took a large van and it cost us less. There is a great beach, some fun shopping and restaurants there. We went to Senor Frogs and it was really fun. Some of our group went to Tulum and enjoyed the AMAZING beach and ruins there as well. Also, some went to Akumal where you can go to the beach and find turtles to swim with, which they said was a great experience. One went on the ATV jungle trip where they got to swim in cenotes, and said it was a blast ($88 pp).

Other:

Puerto Aventuras feels very "safe" if you are one to be worried about travelling to Mexico. You can walk into the marina area and see fishermen cleaning their catches, offering for you to buy or go fishing with them. There are dolphins/sea lions/manatees to swim with if that's your thing. There are several shops and restaurants. We took the resort bikes the one day and drove out to "Paco Taco" which is just outside the gates to the community (next to the gas station and Subway). The tacos were amazing and CHEAP. I paid 12 pesos and got two tortillas with enough chicken filling for both. Others had shrimp/fish/beef and were just as happy. I would highly recommend visiting if you want some Mexican food!

The Nolitours "beach buffet" was attended by some of our group. Some of us went down and there were no tables left. Those that attended said the food selection sucked, but it was fun to each right on the beach.

The Disco was fun and the Animacion staff starts the night off. Great DJ, some nights had more people than others. The Sports Bar had a ping pong table/foosball/pool and we hung out there right before the disco since they are next to each other. The piano bar was full of boring old people who I think were mostly hanging out until the nightly show started. Too bad, the piano player guy is pretty fun and played a good selection of songs.

Overall really fun, many of us talked about maybe going there again. I cannot complain as it was a great experience!

Room Tip: A room on the side facing the "Dreams" resort would likely be quietest for standard rooms...
6  Thank bsimpson1886

Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
0.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
18.9 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!