2,261 results
All reviews gated community a la cartes playa del carmen snack bar tapas water shoes fish crepes standard room riviera side japanese restaurant air transat pure chill out bar steak thomas cook privileged section sea lions
Reviewed May 17, 2018

Our first trip was a romantic getaway two years ago. There was no doubt that this was the destination for our family trip this time. Our 11 year old granddaughter accompanied us this time. The resort is second to none, it’s safe, accommodating and has an excellent staff. We were upgraded because we were returning guests, which allowed us the opportunity to dine at more of the resorts restaurants, and free use of some areas of the spa. We rented a golf cart through the concierge desk and took an adventure to nearby Cenotes and gated community (Highly recommended, the lady at the rental shop was wonderful and lovely).
The lagoon is amazing, and was truly a highlight for us, as our granddaughter got to swiim with so many species of fish. The food was incredible, offering so many choices. The rooms were always clean and the resorts cleanliness was immaculate.
The staff was friendly, helpful, and attentive. Although we missed Antonio who was there on our first Catalonia visit, it was so great to see Manuel and Miguel. We talk about the service that these two people provided regularly, and how great they were. It’s people like this that make us want to go back to this resort. Catalonia will always be our first choice. Thank you Catalonia,looking forward to seeing you again. Chuck, Val and Arabelle

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Chuckandval
Reviewed May 17, 2018

I probably read through about 2 years worth of reviews before I decided on this resort. I did notice that there was a shortage of reviews from solo female travelers, even though this is part of Transat’s Solo Collection. So I am writing this review from the perspective of a solo female traveler, in the hopes of encouraging other women to travel alone.

I had the pleasure of staying here from May 5 - 12, 2018. This resort is located within the gated community of Puerto Aventuras - only authorized persons are permitted to enter. As a result, this is an extremely safe community for solo travelers and families. I have traveled all over Mexico and the Caribbean, and this was hands-down the safest I’ve felt in my travels. I had been quite worried about the area in the weeks leading up to my trip, with travel warnings and constant stories of violence in the news. While I cannot speak for Playa del Carmen or Cancun, I can say that in my experience, Puerto Aventuras is a safe community.

Catalonia Yucatan Beach is a very clean, comfortable resort with delicious food and caring staff. Knowing that I was a solo traveler, the staff treated me with the utmost respect and kindness. I ate all of my breakfasts and suppers at the buffets, and the staff were happy to converse with me in (broken) Spanish. I do think they appreciate when we at least try to respect their language.

I did see a lot of the “towel game” being played on the beach and at the pools. That seems to be common at most resorts. I didn’t frequent the pool or the beach. I prefered to spend my down time relaxing on my private balcony with a book and a milkshake from The Creperie! I just booked the basic Garden View room, with no upgrade. I did contact the hotel ahead of time to ask for a room on a higher floor, and they were able to accommodate my request - I was given a room on the 3rd floor, overlooking the pool. The rooms are basic but clean and very secure. There were 3 locks on the door, and an electronic safe in the closet.

Wifi was free and I was able to access YouTube and Netflix most of the time. Sometimes the internet would cut out, but I was able to fix this by stepping out on my balcony and reconnecting. It seemed the closer I was to the balcony, the better the reception would be. Perhaps the cement walls are an issue? As I had read mixed reviews on the wifi access, I decided to purchase a Telus Travel Plan to keep in touch with my nervous family back home ;) My phone worked perfectly for texting everywhere, I actually had more bars here than I do at home!

The entrance to the marina is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, but the marina itself is huge! There’s so much to see and do, definitely plan to take a couple of trips down here. All the souvenir shopping you could possibly want, without the harassment of the markets. The shopkeepers actually seemed indifferent to whether you bought or not. Just like back home in Canada ;) Prices are negotiable so make sure to haggle!

Beach walking is my favourite activity, but I knew before I booked that this was not a “long walks on the beach” kind of resort. However, after studying Google maps of the area, I could see that there was a long white sand beach located just behind the marina. I highly recommend checking this out if you’re into beach walking. It was a 15 minute walk from the resort to this beach. Just walk to where the marina meets the ocean and hang a right. You won’t be disappointed!

If you’re a woman thinking about solo travel to this area, please feel free to message me and I’ll do my best to answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Would I recommend the Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Most rooms are pool view, can see the ocean from the higher floors.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
9  Thank Ashley Maria G
Reviewed May 10, 2018 via mobile

We were promised a tour of the resort and was led to a salesman looking for us to buy a timeshare. If you’re not out by 6am to get a seat either by the beach or pool, you’re left walking around with your things until a spot becomes available. Some guests don’t have ever remove their things from the chairs, it’s a way to reserve a seat for later or the next day. So be prepared to do the same. Me and my niece have been bitten multiple times and it’s not from the bugs outside but moreso from the ones in our rooms because we’d wake up with bites everywhere. They’ve ignored every complaint we’ve made since arriving here. Don’t count on amstar to get you anywhere on time. They’re always late and rude and unhelpful. Upon arriving, we were left out in the sun for 2hrs, my niece caught a heat rashes and sunburn on her face and arms. Our transportation was changed from private to shared and was charged more. There’s a charge for being on the beach everyday. It’s hidden and they won’t tell you until you’re checking out. It’s called environmental fee. So even if you weren’t on the beach at all you’ll still be charged. Their solution for our problems was upgrading us to a privileged room less than 12hrs of us leaving the resort which doesn’t help us at all considering they’ve had complaints since the first day of arriving.

THE ONLY GOOD THING IS RUBEN THE MASSEUSE. HE WILL MASSAGE ALL YOUR STRESS AND LIFE AWAY. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM.

Say hi ti the critters we roomed with!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2018

We went here April 9 - 16 and I only booked it as I had been before, but over 10 years ago. The place hasn't changed at all in looks but certainly has in quality and selection. First of all, the folks that work here are hard pressed to offer a smile, let alone any actual service.

Air Conditioning

We checked into our room and it was WARM, bordering on very HOT. Called the front desk as you can tell the AC was on it's way out. Two employees showed up, turned the thermostat on and off and said it was fixed. I said, that's impossible as you didn't do anything. they didn't speak any English and called the front desk to have the operator tell me it was fixed. The rest of the week it was 23-24 degrees celsius in the room with the drapes closed...and no ceiling fan.

WIFI

The wifi in the room was horrific, couldn't even load the search results for web pages, let alone any actual web pages. Near the pool and in the lobby was ok, just not in the room. I did a speed test and after three attempts, I got a 1.47mb/s speed, which explains why I couldn't load anything.

Pool Chairs

Reserving chairs is a disaster, not sure if they don't have enough chairs by the pool or what but the first morning we woke up at 7 to go to the pool and all the chairs were gone. By Day 3 we were waking up at 5:30am to reserve chairs and most of them were already gone. The towel game is strong here.....as my wife put it.

The buffets are small and don't really have much on them. Usually the same food recycled from other meals. Not a shrimp to be found anywhere the entire week, which is unusual. Some deep fried fish and fish on the grill but when you see it sitting there for a long time, waiting to be fried, it's not all that appetizing. The fruit selection was ok, and if you go there at the right time, you would see some mangos, the papaya was abundant. The Ala Cartes were good, nothing fantastic but much better than the buffet. The Tapas restaurant was a waste of a trip as you only get 4 ala cartes, unless you pay extra for the signature package.

Drinks

The only decent drink at the bars (any bars) was Corona Lite in a can (have to ask for it) and the draft beer. The mixed drinks were absolutely undrinkable. The mix is filled with aspertame and of such low quality that it turns a sweet drink into a bitter drink. The booze they use to mix the drinks is almost undrinkable, most of it tastes like turpentine. It's the only place I have ever gone to in Mexico where I could not drink the mixed drinks. Any decent bottles are off limits unless you are signature. 4 of the 7 days at the pool bar, they did not have a bartender at the bar and would force you to get out of the pool and walk around the pool bar to get drinks from the other side. I don't mind if they closed the bar due to staffing shortages, but they would pretend like there was a bartender there and you would wait for half hour before giving up and going to the bar outside of the pool. There was a bartender there when the bar was open named Manuel (i think), he was absolutely amazing and extremely attentive, tips flowing in due to his personality. The rest outright ignored you and did not even come to the pool bar, until someone complained.

Beach,

The beach and most of the sea was filled with seaweed and you could not go into the water. Not anyone's fault I know and as I understand it, one of the worst years for seaweed in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tens of workers were desperately trying to clean it up to no avail. There's gotta be a better system than all of these people dying of heat, trying to clean the seaweed and falling further and further behind. You are now charged for that clean up 10 pesos per day per person, so maybe investing in a small tractor that cleans that stuff up quickly in the morning would be a good idea.

Property

The property is beautiful and very clean, it's really amazing how they keep it so clean, given the amount of people that are there on a daily basis. We did not go to any of the shows and did not hear anything about them.

Overall

This property used to be great and it still is from a cleanliness and location perspective. It is located in the gated community of Puerto Aventuras, extremely safe and welcoming. We went for a two hour walk each morning and it was amazing. Just based on the food and drinks, we will not be returning to this property. The rest I can put up with and we are not picky by any means. The best three days we had there were spent at a place called La Caleta located on the marina in Peuerto Aventuras, where we spent the nights listening to live music and drinking 2 for 1 margaritas and Mojitos. Also, they offer tortillas and sauces while you're drinking which is nice. And the food......pricey but really good. Now that place, I would recommend. Everything in this resort is now geared towards their signature upgrade package, which I strongly disagree with as they have gutted the amenities for the average person that stays there.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike S
Reviewed May 1, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here in March, the staff was amazing. Rooms very comfortable. Buffet had a different assortment daily and al a cartes were probably the best we had! Loved the steak house! Overall a nice resort.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple