2,582 results
All reviews beach club world spa lemmon grass sister property demi pool omaggio restaurant insu sky lounge short golf cart ride brunello wine bedroom penthouse vip area rooftop bar full kitchen sea lions beach access private pool washer dryer
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Our group of 45 was upgraded from the nearby Marival Resort to the Marival Residences and World Spa due to overbooking at the Marival Resort. The service was friendly, attentive and went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The suite was huge with two bathrooms, large showers, great view of the ocean from 5th floor balcony. We liked that the pool was not crowded, golf and other tours were included and the VIP Beach Club at nearby Marival Resort where we had a roped off area to lounge in shade/sun and be served drinks/food from attentive waiters. The dining options were many and all meals were excellent. A minor negative was you had to take a schuttle to the beach.

Room Tip: Avoid suite in center of building-it is smaller.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rwalter3517
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Dear Traveler: Thank you for your review, not being on the beach is a fact that we disclose on all of our information so guests are not disapointed, however, we trust that the service provided on our VIP Beach Club makes up for any inconvenience. We are glad you enjoyed the upgrade of hotels and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Great property and rooms. This was my 2nd visit within 8 months all due to the quaint feeling of the resort and the large rooms. I truly have the ability to REST in the true sense.

The staff is incredible ALL of them. The most memorable experience was when I wanted lunch at the Insu and normally meals are not served until after 6. The staff went to the pool restaurant and had the staff come up with menus so we could order food. The main pool service is wonderful as well. Staff ready to please everyone. Another thing the staff will go out of there way to meet your dietary needs as well. For the morning breakfast, the staff Pedro made me a special smoothie.

The kids club is great and my niece loved all her visits there.

My recommendation to families or persons who are looking for "LOTS" to do, this is not your place. If you have small children and you want to get R & R, then this is not your place. This place is designed for all persons who want luxury & Relaxation. Parents you will have to watch your children at all times because there is no staff available to do so however they do have a sister property within walking distance (they also have a shuttle to take you there throughout the day & night). There are more activities for them. Well behaved children will enjoy the property and have a different experience.

Some people have stated in their reviews that things were not ready when they arrived or upon their return. What i found is that all you had to do is ASK and it will be given to you!!! That is what i enjoyed most about this place is that you get what you ask for with out tipping.

For management, thank you for all you do and your willingness to please all your guest at all Times!!!! Looking forward to my next visit in 2012 hopefully you will have Free Wi Fi and connections by the pool or develop a business center for those who do not want full day or week access to WiFi. However you staff was great to assist with small internet request.
Another special request, how about lounge chairs in Insu from 10am-5pm??
A quarterly vacation traveler from Southern California

Room Tip: JUST Ask the management and staff aim to Please
3  Thank quarterly-traveler
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear Traveler: Thank you very much for your kind review, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again.

Reviewed April 22, 2011

After returning from a recent trip to the Marival Residences and World Spa, I felt inclined to write a true and more critical review. You may find my observations over-critical, but at the price and level of prestige that the Marival has garnered, it would be ignorant to not point out the flaws in their system.

First of all, the location.
It's a GHOST TOWN! The Marival Residences are located in Nuevo Vallarta, approximately 25 minutes from the center of Puerto Vallarta. The Hotel is not walking distance to anything really. The area has very limited facilities and doesn't have much to offer in terms of culture and entertainment.

Secondly, the dining.
I really expected much more from a four-five star resort than what the Marival had to offer. Most of the time, the food was over seasoned and improperly cooked. However, I must note that the chicken was excellent, although everything else was subpar. Insu, the tapas bar, was a complete joke! The best part about that place was the french fries, the other foods were basically inedible... tasteless and repulsing to the palate.

The service was.. attentive. I believe that good service DOES have a sense of playfulness, but the service we encountered was just TOO playful. Service was inconsistent and most waiters were really clumsy and forgetful, and tried to conjure up excuses to their advantage.

The Beach Club was.. not as great as people make it out to be. You still had to play the "chair game" if you wanted a bed or a good chair with shade. The service there was minimal and the menu limited. To be honest, the sand and water there will never compare to the white sand beaches of Mismaloya.

The tours were good overall. We really enjoyed the sunset cruise and dolphin adventure. HOWEVER, on the last day of the trip, we went on the city tour which was by all means a big scam! They took us to the "city" for about 20 minutes. Then they proceeded to take us to one of their scam souvenir shops that turned on their lights just for us. However, we had the option of walking out to the flea market, where we found the exact same stuff for about 1/3 the price. Then we took a 40 minute ride into the mountains to who knows where to some shack that charges about 20 dollars for a fried fish. They are extremely scummy when it comes to this because you are isolated and have no other options. Then you go to a tequila factory where you are also being pressured into buying things. All while your tour guide is sleeping in a hammock! Then, as you take the 40 minute ride back into town, you realize that your tour is over, and the finale comes when the tour guide asks your for his tip!

Make no mistake, the hotel is gorgeous and luxurious, but it simply doesn't fit the high reputation that it has made people expect from it.

13  Thank WorldEagle

Dear Traveler: We appreciate greatly all of your comments, we understand Marival Residences may not meet everyone's expectations and we are sorry we did not meet yours, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My husband & I truly enjoyed this resort. They say first impression is a lasting impression and the bellhop Gustavo made a great first impression and everything just got better from there. Every staff member that we came in contact with were so friendly. A lot of times when you stay at a hotel/resort you really don't see management unless there is a problem. Marival's relationship manager Reggie was wonderful. He was very visible and friendly. My husband & I was joking with each other saying "he never leaves." The reason for our trip was to get married. Although our wedding was actually at the sister property Marival Resort on the beach, Reggie still took pictures and emailed them to me and he even put our picture in the Marival Residences newspaper. Our room was to die for. Even though we didn't take advantage of all of it (the balcony, the full kitchen and the dining room) I loved the fact that there were 2 bathrooms. And my husband loved the fact that it was a 12 pack of Corona in the refrigerator every day. The food was delicious and we loved the fact that you had several places to eat at. And if you didn't feel like moving you could just lay by the pool or in a cabana around the jacuzzi and a waiter would come by and take your food order & drink order. The rooms were quiet and the pool area was quiet and relaxing. And if you wanted a little more excitement you could always go to the sister property and enjoy the pools & the beach there. The excursions were fun... Just remember to make your reservations for the excursions you want to do your first day there. All in all I would truly give Marival Residences & World Spa 5 stars and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveler: Thank you for your wonderful review, congratulations on your wedding, please visit us again!

Reviewed April 16, 2011

My family, (2 adults and 2 children), just returned from a 1 week stay at the Marival Residences. Let me start by saying that overall, we had a great time. Very nice property, great service, good food. So why 4 stars and not 5? I thought long and hard about the rating. In the end, I feel, based on our experience, I feel this is a fair rating. I will explain below.

I want to say that I agree with many of the positive comments made by other reviewers. I especially want to point the friendliness of the staff. But instead of reiterating what others have said, I will concentrate on a two areas that did need some improvement.

Internet: This is not included in the “All-Inclusive” plan. Marival charges 180 pesos (about $15) a day for Wi-Fi access. My personal feeling is that if a hotel is going to charge guests for internet, then the internet should WORK, period. The wifi at my room was unreliable. Generally late night and early morning it works fine, if somewhat slow. But afternoon and evening, the connection slows down to a crawl. It sometimes takes me half hour to log on to my work site. (Not kidding, sometimes more than half hour.) I believe this is due to not enough bandwidth to support the number of guests using wifi. I called the front desk about it, and was told to try another location on the property to see if signal is better.

House Keeping: frequently forgets to replenish soap/shampoo, twice we had to call for them. After changing sheets, old sheets were left in the room for two days. Turn down service hit and miss: some days didn’t show up at all, some days show up after we have gone to bed ( we go to bed after 10PM), on days that it was done, only one of two beds was turned down. (Now, we are quite capable of turning down our own beds. It did not diminish our enjoyment of the trip just because our beds were not turn down. I feel Marival should drop this service all together. The half-hearted attempts just make Marival look bad.) Didn’t wipe dried water stains on the stairs (explanation below). There was an empty soda can in our dipping pool one day, it was not from us, I fished it out and threw it away.

Other thoughts: Other reviewers have stated how the waiters bend over backwards to take care of guests. During our one week stay, we requested something not on the menu twice, on the first day and on the last day. Both times we were turned down. On the first day my son wanted a hotdog, and on the last day he wanted a cheeseburger. These two items are served every day except Sundays. There were plenty of other choices available. My son certainly did not go hungry. However, I like to point out that it was just a hotdog and a cheeseburger, we did not ask for lobsters or foie gras.

When we booked the trip, we were told room service is included. After we arrive, we were told there is a 10% surcharge for room service. When I tried first time to order something, I noticed the room service menus says there is a 20% surcharge. Rather than having a potential dispute on check out date about the charges, we just gave up and went downstairs for food.

Marival residences guests were supposed to be able dine at any of the restaurants at the sister property, “No Reservation Required.” In reality however, we were turned away when we showed up because they were full. When we tried to make reservations we found very few availabilities, usually very early or very late. And some restaurants were closed the whole time we were there. So the end result was that the whole time we were there, we didn’t get a chance to try any restaurants at the sister property. I didn’t mind though, the food at Residences was very good. I had no complaints.

For those of you thinking about paying extra for the Penthouse suite, my advice is: don’t bother. Here what you don’t get for your extra money: you don’t get better food, you don’t get better service, you don’t get a better view, you don’t get a bigger room, you don’t even get an extra 45 minutes check out time when you ask. What you do get is this: above your room is a small terrace and a small dipping pool, kind of like a hot-tub without water jets. We used our dipping pool exactly one time during out stay. Why? You can’t get any drinks, at least not easily. Even if you order room service, you would have to get out of the pool, dripping water everywhere as walk down stairs (water stains that housekeeping did not clean), call for the drinks, then wait for room service to show up as you drip water on the floor. Then you have to deal with either 10 or 20% surcharge. Can you see how it would a lot less hassle just go downstairs and use the public pool?

The included tours are fun, but remember you have to pay round trip taxi fare for the tours. But it is not expensive at all. It is better to have exact change for the taxi drivers, because on several occasions the cab drivers short-changed me. Make sure you have bug repellents for the zip line tour, we forgot and now have a bunch of bites to show for it. The city tour is quite boring, and definitely not worth spending an entire day, lunch not included. You are way better off getting a cab and tour the town on your own.

I know what I have written so far sounds like I am nit-picking. I want to stress again that, overall, we really enjoyed our trip and would want to go back. I want to say that my rating is based solely on our own experience during the week we were there. The superlative ratings from previous guests may have caused me to have unrealistic expectations. But given our experience, I feel my rating is fair. And I hope our comments will help future visitors to Marival.

8  Thank ianlin
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Traveler: Thank you very much for your review, all of your comments will be carefully considered, we will be happy to have you back and trust your experience will be even more enjoyable.