2,543 results
All reviewsbeach clubworld spalemmon grasssister propertydemi poolomaggio restaurantinsu sky loungeshort golf cart ridebrunello winebedroom penthousevip arearooftop barfull kitchensea lionsbeach accessprivate poolwasher dryer
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Never wrote a review before but this resort is worth writing a review for. The staff, the food and the just the ambiance of the place was great. DO try the zip line! very worth it, even the city tour was a very nice experience. the people of Puerto Vallarta are really nice and make you feel very welcome. I also recommend the rythem of the night, very worth the money. If you want a place to relax and enjoy good food and a beautiful grounds this is the place for you. The sister resort is only a short golf cart drive away and they have nightly shows and have themed activities in the lobby. we met alot of great people through the excursions and had a great time doing everything Vallarta had to offer. We are a young couple and really enjoyed every minute of the this place and Puerto Vallarta as a whole The hotel even decorated our bed as a welcome and suprised us with a flowral arangement, and chocolate coverd strawberries because it was our anniversary. Cant wait to come back. look nowhere else but here.

Room Tip: If you do any tours take bug spray!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank geovanna h
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this web site. We really appreciate your comments, and look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again in our resort in the near future

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family returned yesterday from a 4 night stay at the Marival Residences. Tripadvisor reviews had helped me select the hotel and all the in and out of the hotel, so here is my 2 cents for future travelers. It's getting a bit long, but hopefully I offered some new insights.

Rooms: We had a pool side one-bedroom on the first floor and a two-bedroom on the second floor in the center building. The rooms are big, comfortable and clean. Very impressed.

I was under the impression from the hotel website that pool side room enjoys "secluded" pool, but it really is open to the public. Any one can go there. But there was not too many people using this part of the pool during our stay. If you were fine with just soaking in the pool, then I guess the penthouse' private plunging pool would be worth the money.

Our 2-bedroom was on the second floor. It faced the pool area, but you get no ocean view because it's so low. You'll want to ask for higher floor if view is important to you. The room is big and clean. However, the outside bathroom is not very big (comparing to the guest bathroom for the 1 bedroom). My son was complaining how small the shower was comparing to all other bathrooms. I think our bed already had a mattress pad. The bed was firm, but VERY comfortable. If you have back problems like I do, this bed is for you!! The website and the in-room information binder talked about pillow menus, but it didn't tell you how to go about it. Since our pillows were comfortable enough, we didn't bother. You get washer and dryer in your room. It was such a big plus. We didn't have to wring dry the swim suits by hand and no smelly cloth to put away. We just washed and dried everything every night. The washer did smell a bit if you kept the lid closed, so i tried to leave it open. So remember to bring some detergent. Every room has a TV. My two sons (16 and19) really liked it especially at night since there's not much going on. I sometimes wondered about the purpose of the trip (to watch TV???)

Property: The property is kind of small and there's no activity at night, not even a place to stroll after dinner (this is when a onsite beach would come in handy). Gym and roof top pool closed at 7, pools at 8. I tried to check out board games and stuff several times, but they were all checked out. Maybe the management should consider increasing the inventories? There was nothing to do at night! The gym was well equipped with towels and water bottles. We went there once. We didn't try the spa because i think it is overpriced.

Internet: You have to pay for internet/Wi Fi service and it is per device. I think it's 150 pesos per 24 hours, or 360 for 72 hours. You can also purchase by week. We purchased 3 days for one device. Once you logged in, your device is locked in, and only that device has internet access. So choose your device carefully before you log in. If you are thinking about using a wireless router, it will not work. We had to bow to their technology....

Food: all the restaurants have pretty good food. We especially liked shrimp corn dog and chicken tenders at Insu, wings, hot dogs and fish and chips at Lemongrass, short ribs and onion soup (lunch) at Omaggio. We had the Italian menu at Omaggio one night, and we were not very impressed. Dessert is definitely not their strong point. Omaggio does have different menus, so check before you decide where to go for dinner. I agree with other reviews that it was annoying at the end of every meal, your check would have a $0 total with gratuity line open.

Service: I was a bit disappointed about the service. It was not bad, but after reading so many rave reviews about the service, it didn't meet my expectation despite the extra tipping. Did I not tip enough after paying a bundle for the all inclusive package? A lot of time we had to get things ourselves or look for someone. Carlos at the pool did offer great service. Once I was at Lemongrass trying to order some snacks and drinks since no one came to our cabana to ask if we needed anything. No one came forward to help me as i stood at the counter. I had to ask some one who I should place order with. After I placed my order, I stood there waiting, Carlos who served us earlier came up to me, asked me where I was seated and offered to bring my order to me. That is what I called good service. The waitress at Insu also gave good service when we had dinner there. Sorry I forgot her name, but she served the big table at the center of the lounge.

Excursions: things to watch out for:
they can't book tour after 5pm. You have to make arrangement a day ahead. You can only book one tour a day, and no tour on the day you check out. And the 2 tours we took, we were not able to take any pictures on our own. You do take taxi on your own to Vallarta Adventures office where all tours begins (at least for us). It is a 7 minutes drive and cost 70 pesos one way for 5 - 8 people. For 1-4, I think the price is 35 pesos.

So we ran into some reservation problem during check in. By the time we were settled, it was too late to book excursions. We went to the concierge first thing in the morning and was told the tours need 24 hour advance notice. That left our first day completely open. Since Sea Lion Encounter was only 30 minutes and it was a short drive away, I wanted to book another tour to fill up the day. Can't do that. Our flight leaves at 6 pm on check out day, so I wanted to book a tour in the morning. Can't do that. In the end, we could only booked 2 tours. I don't think you could call this "unlimited" tours.

One of the tour we took was the zip line tour. I highly recommended it. What the concierge failed to inform us was the included tour was Canopy Park Adventure (I don't even think Vallarta Adventure sell this package). Most of the people there was for Extreme Zip line Adventure (which include UTV, waterslide and Mexico's longest zip line). During check in, they would ask if you want to upgrade for $39/person. If you don't want to upgrade, you'll be waiting for the other people to be done with the extra activities which takes about 1 hour. The tour itself was great. They did rush you a bit. I don't know if they were trying to get things done in time or they didn't want to give you time to second guessing yourself. The tour included several zip lines and one rappel. The last zip line (the longest and fastest zip line in Mexico) is a must do. The guides let us went without upgrading (no UTV off road, though). It was so relaxing and exhilarating. At the end of that was a 30 second waterslide. I heard it was a bit scary because you were in an enclosed tube which you couldn't see anything. I opted to walked down since I didn't bring change of clothes. It was about 5 minute down hill walk. My sons did do the waterslide. You went fully clothed including your shoes and helmet. So if you didn't bring change of clothes, you'll have a wet ride home (a 45 minute ride). The photo package was by person. We ended up getting the $149 package for 6 people that includes CD (you can choose as many pictures as you want and you can have multiple copies of the CD) and 12 printed pictures (2 per person). You definitely need insect repellent. My sons refused to put insect repellent on. Boy, did they get bitten. I think they each had more than 30 bites on their exposed arms and legs. My husband who did use insect repellent also got many bites on his back through his well ventilated T-shirt. Something to think about.

The second tour was Sea Lion encounter. Although it was fun and interactive, most of the time was focused on taking pictures. Surprisingly, the package here was more expensive than the zip line tour. $250 for 6 people. We decided not purchase any here.

Overall, this is a really good hotel. I was afraid it was a bit boring since we didn't get to do much, but both of my sons said they had a pretty good time. :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank lasergod88
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your vacation. Undoubtedly, your "two cents" are very much appreciated, and we hope you'll give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I really liked this place , especially their rooms , I played golf 3 times and went on the sea lion and dolphin encounters also visited Yalpa by boat and snorkeled too, and it was all included .
the service could be a little better if the waiters could take their time and really understand the order , the best service was at the beach club and umagio but the pool servers are not very good. Overall I had a great time and would recommend this place .

Room Tip: room 309 had 3 different views
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Salamondo
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting your review of our resort on this web site. We value your comments, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The entire resort was spectacular. The service and staff was by far the best I have ever experienced in any part of the customer service industry. When I had misplaced my wedding ring, the staff worked very hard to find it and ultimately did. the food is wonderful, the rooms are amazing, and the drinks were awesome. I really want to come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank jschill34
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing a review of our resort. It is uplifting to hear you fully enjoyed your vacation experience, and would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Amazing all inclusive resort!

Great food at all restaurants. Lunch at air conditioned Omaggio was a good break from the sun with excellent food. Don't forget to try Lemmon Grass for dinner. Although its outdoors, the fans make a nice breeze and the food is definitely worth it. Best dinner service of the week by Eduardo and Omar.

Great service in the restaurants and poolside. Thanks to Carlos and
Wensenslao for the non stop poolside drinks and food. My kids couldn't get enough!

Access to the beach is easy via golf cart, but doesn't allow my kids to go back and forth from the pool like they do at other beach-side resorts.

The sister resort is a little run-down, so although the facilities and restaurants are included, it doesn't make things very appetizing after spending most of our time at the residences.

Huge rooms. Beautiful living area and full kitchen. More like a 1500 sq ft condo than a hotel room.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank wlchow13

Dear Traveler
Thank you for an insightful review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.