2,955 results
All reviews azul restaurant personal concierge jose ramos parlor suite french restaurant neck massage room service four seasons all inclusive resort kids club our honeymoon moment you arrive infinity pool riviera nayarit pool service pool side dinner reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My hubby and I came here for our two year anniversary. We initially were looking at adult only resorts but while reading the reviews, it didn't seem like screaming children would be an issue here. While the pool was absolutely beautiful and amazing, about 70% of the guests had small children. There was not an adult only area that we could lounge at except for the jacuzzi area so my hubby and I had not choice but to lounge there. With such a large pool, I'm really surprised that Grand Velas never thought this would be an option.

The buffet food was mediocre although the selection changed daily which was nice. We dined at all four restaurants and found that Frida was the best of the three. All three restaurants had dress codes that didn't allow shorts, t-shirts, or sandals which we didn't mind. What we did mind was while dining at the Italian restaurant, the table next two us literally had 10 small children running around screaming without any parental supervision. It was really difficult for my hubby and I enjoy our meal let alone enjoy the live piano playing the back ground. I can tell that the other guests were just as annoyed with this romper room of a dining experience. The acoustics in the restaurant allowed live music to sound beautifully but it also amplifies screaming, crying children. Perhaps, the restaurant can section off families with small children so that couples who are trying to enjoy their romantic dinner don't end up suffering. They even allow children in the evening entertainment lounge bar so there's really no escaping them. The only restaurant that didn't allow children under 16 was the French restaurant so we really enjoyed the ambiance there.

Overall, the experience was nice but we probably won't be going back. Instead, we will enjoy an adult only resort in the future. I felt the need to emphasize this since our decision to come here was based on the tripadvisor reviews. Couples who want a romantic vacation should really think twice before coming here.

Room Tip: Opt for the High Floor, Ocean view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wina K
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for expressing your feelings regarding your recent stay with us.
Of course it is never pleasant to hear one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay. We are committed to excellence without exception and our guest’s satisfaction is the most important point.

We would really appreciate that you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 20, 2012

After many trips to Vallarta, this is by far the best Hotel / Spa I have stayed. The service is excellent since you arrive at the hotel. Everybody provides a personal and superior service at every level.
Food is very good.
And of course the SPA is on of the best in Mexico
If you want to relax and be pampered, this is the place to be.

1  Thank AGMX1
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that you enjoyed every minute at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit I really hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future.

Please if there is anything else I could do for you let me know.

Sincerely!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here on August 4th through the 8th. This time around, my husband, my son and I traveled with 3 other families. Between all of us there were 8 adults and 6 boys, ranging from 10 to 3 years-old. We had a wonderful time.
The service was great as usual. From the concierge, Ixchel, to "Castaway", the guy who lead the activities around the pool. The servers around the pool work so hard. The bartenders at the bar were very pleasant and fun.
Food: During this stay, my little family ate breakfast everyday at Azul. We ate lunch there on the last day of our stay. We were happy with the food there during these times. We had dinner there once on our arrival day and we were not too happy with the buffet items. So I would suggest you make reservations before you arrive at the other restaurants. Also, bring some long pants, closed toe shoes, collared shirts for men. Little boys can wear shorts, closed toe shoes (ours wore their Crocs), and collared shirts. Men and boys have to wear these at all restaurants except Azul. On the next night, a Sunday, our entire group made reservations and ate at Frida, the Mexican restaurant. I don't know if the chef was off that day, but many of us did not like our entrees. The duck looked like prison food, or bad hospital food. The man with the guitar who entertained us sang some Spanish songs beautifully. Monday, we ate at Lucca, the Italian restaurant. This place, we all loved. It had a great piano man that night. Tuesday, we got 2 babysitters to watch all the kids. We fed the big kids at Lucca, ordered room service for the little ones and left them all in the room to watch a movie. The kids liked the babysitters. At Piaf (adults only), the French restaurant, we all loved the the food. They had amazing wine and a spicy martini that everyone loved. They had a trombone player. I don't know about that one. But he seemed very nice. We loved our main waiter, senior Sergio.
The Grounds: The landscaping around the hotel property was very lush and green. It rained most everyday so maybe that's why all the plants looked happy. The white walkways around the pool looked dirtier that I remember it last time (Last time I was in awe about how white everything was). I think the tile under the swim up bar and around the steps around the pool need a power wash.
The Beach/Pool: Most of the time we stayed by the middle pool under a coconut tree. We pretty much can get a tan in the shade :)) The 3 infinity pools are just so beautiful. The little kids loved the baby pool too. There were lots of kids during this stay compared to 3 years ago but it was not crazy crowded. Everyone can find a lounge chair any time. It's fairly quiet. There is some music but its not too loud. Sometimes they play Spanish music, Madonna, or some Armenian music (there was a large group when we were there). They try to please everybody. The beach is not the Caribbean so you can't see your toes. You just have to pray you don't step on anything weird. We saw some baby sting rays in the shallows many times. One of the boys in our group and I felt a stinging sensation around our ankles at separate times. Maybe a jelly or a ray.... The sand on the beach and in the water was pretty smooth. There were hardly any rocks. The water was super warm. We rented Yamaha wave runners from vendors on the beach. We also jumped on a banana boat and got towed around a couple of times. There is a vendor who does parasailing also. My husband found a couple of ladies giving massages right on the beach for $70 a couple. They were pretty good. All the adults in our group took advantage of this and all of us were very happy with our experience. My husband and I got massages twice. The hotel has boggy boards to lend and can be found near the towel hut near the restaurant bar area. There also had kayaks. None of us used those. There are vendors walking along the beach selling the usual jewelry found in most Mexican resorts.
One Gripe: Why is WiFi not free? It's 2012 people. You have to buy a card from a vending machine. A couple of our friends needed to attend to their businesses and needed to buy WiFi. It costs $18 a day and the quality is not very good. I wanted to download a book on my Kindle and it would have cost $18.00. Yikes! That's something to work on.
Overall: Still a very good hotel and would bring Grandma and Grandpa here any day.

2  Thank SBATustin
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We are a well traveled family of seven with two teenagers,, this place is immaculate, the staff cannot do enough for you.. Checkin you sit and get a neck massage while the staff checks you in. The suites are gorgeous. The pool was clean and our server Angel was by far the best we have ever had he called us by name and tended to all our needs daily, at Azul resturant Israel was the man he carried our plates if needed to our table, I mean a scented wet cloth came around, sunglasses cleaned,, the Spa clean and beautiful. At night the Lobby Bar we had two amazing servers Oscar and Daniel. These are the few of many people that made our stay perfect, The restaurant Azul was great for breakfast, I enjoyed all of them my favorite was the Mexican, but the french and Italian were also good. Please venture to the town and if you can make a reservation to one of the best restaurant's i have ever been to called " El Palomar de los Gonzalez this is a family owned home converted to a restaurant on a hill lookinng over the city, the food was just delicious and the sunset was beautiful. The only down side no night life at the resort, on the last night we asked the Lobby Bar staff to pump up the Music and we danced the night away, to bad we didnt know that sooner in the week. But please understand this is just one beautiful resort

Room Tip: Any Suite is good
4  Thank froggie_8
Ixchel M, Public Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments about your recent visit to our resort. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed along with your family your stay with us since your check in. It is very pleasant to know that we did a good job and that we as a team accomplished our main goal.

Reviews like yours, gives us the certainty that we are heading on the right direction. Please rest assures that I will personally congratulate Angel, Oscar, Daniel and Israel.

It was our pleasure to host your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Once again thank you for your preference.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel has very nice suites we stayed with our two kids in the same room with total privacy because the king bed can be completely closed from the living room it has 2 tv's which is a must with kids, the kids club has very good activities for them from 9am to 9pm the food in the 3 dinner restaurants is amazing (very elaborate if you like this type of food like me) We only had an issue with the host of the Frida restaurant because they are a reservations only basis and on our first night we didn't know and we showed up with an empty restaurant and she refused to give us a table (we try to complain with the manager and it was impossible only the concierge took a note of it), the breakfast is very good the only food we got tired of it was lunch there are only 2 restaurants and they are not very exiting!! if you like good brands of alcohol this is the place and with no limit because they are inclusive in the plan, the service and the people are exceptional and very nice coming from an all inclusive hotel. The Spa and pool are great too!!

Room Tip: Take an ocean view room on the 7 or 8 floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andre G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to our resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stayed at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. We are also glad to know that you enjoyed our suites, the kids club, the restaurants, the pools and the Spa.

We sincerely thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination; we are looking forward to welcome you again in your home away from home.

Best Regards!