“The lazy river was incredible!”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Tennessee
“The lazy river was incredible!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The grounds of this hotel are stunning. There are elaborate gardens and pools, and the lazy river is fantastic. We could not believe the size of the suite. It was impressive.

The aspects that we didn't like were the lack of night time entertainment, the early closing of the pool, the huge size of the resort, and the remoteness of it.

Although I had read that this hotel was not near town, I was not expecting it to seem so far from things. We like to experience the local culture, and the long bus ride (2 connecting buses) to get to Puerto Vallarta seemed to take more than an hour each way.

I like the Puerto Vallarta area, but if I visit again, I will stay closer to Puerto Vallarta rather than staying in Nuevo Vallarta.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank HHTn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
VanCouver
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom grand master suite -- it had two separate bedrooms, a living room and full kitchen ( minus an oven). Kitchen had toaster, blender, cooking utensils ( no scissors), plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, and wine glasses. There was no plastic for little kids, so we ended up breaking a couple glasses.

The bedrooms were big, one with a trundle bed that slept two, and the other with a liitle loveseat and chairs for a sitting area. Both beds were kings. Two more trundles in the living room slept 4 more. More than enough space for our group of 8 (4 adults, 4 kids).
Plusses: 1) rooms were great, suited our needs, maids were great, deck was nice, with dunk pool. 2). Grounds were amazing; lush with plants and trees, pools were fantastic, especially for kids -- lazy river, wave pool, kids club area, ceramic painting station, activities centre.
3) beach was amazing, you could walk for miles, they had boogie board rentals and other activities. 4). There's a turtle sanctuary you should check out for any rescued baby sea turtles. 5). We stumbled on the new train station one night before it officially opened and it is stunning.

Minuses: 1) they nickel and dime you. After spending so much for the room, you have to pay ++ more for in - room wifi. Not even available for free in lobby. They had an Internet cafe on site, which was more reasonable (buy 30 or 60 minutes for 50/80 pesos and can carryover any unused minutes to the next day for the length of you stay), but you had to ask about this yourself, nobody told us. Also have to keep very close track of your towel, with a card exchange system, otherwise you get charged. 2). You have to sit down with the concierge and ask for lists of kid - friendly activities specifically aside from kids club. We stumbled upon them, they 're not exactly advertised. 3). Lots of rules not consistently enforced. Example: we had friends from home also on vacation in pv, and they wanted to come visit us for an afternoon. We asked the concierge 3 separate times if this was ok and how to go about it. The day our friends came, after getting the ok from e concierge for the visit, and after our friends had driven for 45 minutes to get there, they were told in the lobby they weren't allowed to be there! "nothing we can do" they kept repeating. It was maddening! We finally just left with our friends and took them to the pool anyway, but an hour later the security guard found us (after searching our room no less) and told us our friends couldn't be in the pool without a special wristband. So we got out of the pool walked to the lobby and asked for a wrist band. "no problem" the guy said and readily handed over 4 wristbands for our guests. wtf? I understand the need for security in these places but really, wtf? At any rate, we were made to feel like common criminals and this totally tainted our view of the place. 4) the place is pretty remote - not near any towns, you can 't walk to do groceries, taking 6$ cab ride to walmart for big shop is only option. Prices in restaurants not that cheap. 5). There were no ocean view rooms when we checked in- we were told they give owners first priority. We stayed over golf course which was fine - quiet. 6). There is a general feeling of paranoia or mistrust of the staff, at least within my own party, in part bred by the trip advisor reviews warning about the time share pressure, in part bred by the way we were treated there, and this feeling kind of hung in the background the whole time, such that I never felt totally carefree.

Bottom line, our trip was still great, the kids (4 boys age 4-9) all had a great time, the youngest two even learned to swim in the dunk pool which was a high light for us! But I don't thi k I'd go back.

Room Tip: Our check in notice said 5pm check in, but we disregarded and checked in at 1pm which was fine. Ther...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Mofo40
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We enjoyed our 5 day trip here. Stayed in the hotel style room which is not our usual but we didn't want to take time to shop and had a $200 resort credit to use so we figured we'd just eat at their restaurants. Prices on food and drink were a little high for this caliber resort, but with the $200 credit, our food and drink bill was reasonable.
We LOVED the pool over by the Grand Bliss.The fountain in the pool and the view of the ocean and mountains are just perfect...what more could you ask for! The gardens on the walk over to this pool are gorgeous. The lazy river was so relaxing. The pools by the Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan were a bit crowded and hectic for us, so we were happy to find the "fountain pool". There are far fewer people here, very few kids and no one saving seats with towels. Not sure why it was so quiet, but was happy on all counts.
All in all, we enjoyed the scenery and service here. Knew that we were far from PV so didn't think we would go there anyway. We were happy to just relax and read.
Next time, I would stay a week and get a suite with kitchen. Usually it's just breakfast in the room but that beats a $30 breakfast buffet everyday...FYI cheaper b4 8am.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank missthesunbad
Denver, CO
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Great:

-The beach is great and faces west. It is probably over a mile long. My wife and I sat out there almost every night to watch the sunset. There seems to be plenty of beach chairs to go around.

-The rooms are very nice and are kept very clean. It has an almost full kitchen (no oven). There is a cool plunge pool on the back patio. We cooked almost every evening.

-The Wal-Mart grocery store is a 70 peso cab ride away. They have everything you need and they take plastic.

-Great tennis courts. You have to reserve them at the Golf Pro Shop. If you are staying in the Mayan Palace or Sea Garden you will get charged $5 per hour. If you are staying at the Grand Mayan or above it is included.

-Great workout facility. If you are staying in the Mayan Palace or Sea Garden you will get charged $5 to use it.

-There is an OXXO convenience store by the Sea Garden. They sell drinks and basic convenience store stuff at a much cheaper rate then the shop at the resort. They take dollars and will give you change in Peso's.

-They have some great pools that are close to the building. There is a lazy river, water slide and wave pool. They have a great Kiddie pool. To use these pools you are supposed to have a Grand Mayan (or above) wrist band, but I didn't see anyone actually monitoring it.

-Eddies Place Nopal Beach. This is a great place to eat. Leave the property, turn left at the OXXO and walk about a half mile. Greatest Chili Relleno ever. See my review for his place.

The Not so Great:
-Many of the owners downgrade to the Grand Mayan to be closer to the pool. They end up getting the ocean view rooms. This pushes the Grand Mayan owners to the back side of the building. They are doing a lot of construction on this property and I think I may have learned how to weld by watching all of the work going on. They are working very hard to add things to this property.

-You do a lot of walking here. I would guess it is at least a 10 minute walk to the beach from the lobby.

-I tried to move to an ocean front room, but wasn't able to. I stopped in at the lobby every day, and called every night and never got one. If you really want one get it at check-in.
-You will get approached by people trying to sell you stuff on the beach. If you don't like it you can go to the pool in front of the Mayan Palace and they won't come in there.

The Bad:
-The timeshare (sorry...fractional ownership) presentation. If you don't want to go to this...just say no. and then say no again, and again, and again.

-Taxi back to the airport is over $20.

All in all this is a great place. Really, really great Beach. If I would have had an Ocean View room I would have given them a 5.

Room Tip: Get a Ocean View room at check-in.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank bkmDenver
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had a great time. The grounds and the hotel was beautiful. Frank Basanez at Vida was very helpful. We would highly recommend this to other travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GailE E
Campbell, California
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed in a hotel room at the Grand Mayan in February 2012. The room was very clean and well appointed much better than I expected. When you stay at the Grand Mayan you have access to several other properties owned by the same organization. The grounds are expansive and very well maintained.
Because I was in a hotel room I could not cook and had to eat out every meal, this can prove a bit expensive because you are basically captive to the resort and they do not give the food away. I however did take taxi cabs and eat at nearby restaurants that were much less expensive.
One thing that bothered me was the way each day people would put a towel of l some of their property to save spaces by the pool, this practice is selfish. Many of the saved spaces were never occupied that day. The Grand Mayan should insist that is not allowed and penalize offenders
I would caution any one arriving at the Grand Mayan not to sign up for a timeshare presentation.
The pleasant matronly woman who was my sales person changed from happy to down right surly once it became apparent that I was not going to invest in a timeshare at the Grand Mayan. Included in the presentation was a buffet breakfast that was quite healthy and enjoyable, I was offended when she asked me to leave a 500 peso to for the waiters which would have been alright if she too had left something which she did not.
To summarize the Grand Mayan is well worth visiting, avoid timeshare presentations and take a nice early morning walk the sunrises were incredible.

Room Tip: You will save quite a bit of money by getting a room with kitchen facilities.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Martin C
Ramsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

What a fantastic time we had in this paradise on earth. We rented a suite and we have been lucky enough to have had everything work smoothly for us. So the stay was such a dream that we wanted to stay forever!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple