“Do not go here”

Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Do not go here”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This spa was horrific. It was a hole in the wall with very cheap and old facilities, very small and cramped. In the massage room, you can hear the receptionist talking the whole time, and someone walked into my room while I was getting massaged!! The masseur did not use any massage techniques, it felt like my husband was giving me a back rub. Even worse, my husband's masseur regailed him with tales of his recent cancer surgery and how he thought maybe this winter was the last winter he would ever live to see! How relaxing, I'm glad we paid 85 bucks a pop for that. To top it off, the plunge pool was closed, which is one of the reasons why I booked there in the first place. I have been to many spas before and have never experienced anything like this before. I felt ripped off. Even a student spa with kids who are learning to be massage therapists would have been better than this. Don't waste your time and money.

4 Thank Steph S

Rosemary, AB
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Relaxing and conveniant venue”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We booked a couples massage during a weekend getaway. It is convieninetly located at the Banff Upper Hot Springs public pool facility.

You should show up at least an hour early to take advantage of the complimentary access to the public hot springs, then you can also use the spa steam room (excellent) and plunge pool (out of order that day).

The spa tratment rooms are small and as previous review indicated, not sound proof. There are several massage rooms so when other clents are arriving/departing you can often hear some clatter. The therapists were very proffesional with my wife and I. The massage was very relaxing. I prefer a deep tissue massage and indicated this, and while the therapist didn't say she wouldn't , the massage was basically a relaxation massage. For the purpose of the trip this was fine, however if I was sore from skiing, hiking etc, I wouldn't have been satisfied with the style of massage.

I will use this spa again, but will be very clear when booking what type of massage is requested.

1 Thank Andrew R
Edmonton, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“very nice”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I really wanted a massage and soak at the Banff Upper Springs. The spa has a package deal with the Springs. I hour massage and an all day pass to the hot springs all for under $100. I made the appointment for the afternoon and they recommed you arrive about 45 min before your massage to go in the spings and relax. I was running a little late and they let me sit in the sauna for 10 min before the massage. They provide you with a towel, robe, sandals, and use of their lockers. The masseuse did a wonderful job. I wanted her to concentrate on my neck and back and she did for the first 1/2 hr and then asked if I wanted anything else done but said no the back was great. She had me turn over on to my back when she continued on my neck and shoulders. I felt like a loose rubber-band. I then went to the hot springs (the spa provides you with a voucher to get into the pool) and I soaked for 1 1/2 hrs. Freezing my hair as it was -15 C but you just duck down into the water and solve your problem. The view was amazing with the trees thick with snow and frost from all of the humidity. A great aftermoon spent just for me!!

1 Thank cobalt753
Nsw
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice massage and hot spring, very old facilities”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My wife and I booked into the spa for a massage (me) and a facial (her).

BOOKING:
We were greeted very pleasantly on the phone when we booked, and we're given a wide choice of times available for the next day (they are open well into the evening) and so we booked in for an hr treatment each at night. They kindly encouraged us to arrive early and check in with them, and informed us we could get changed in the day spa and use a locker up there while we used the hot springs for a while before we had our treatments. (cost of entry is $7 pp to the hot spring on top of the day spa treatment). We took them up on this offer and it was very convenient.

FACILITIES:
As everyone else has pointed out, the facilities really are very old. I'm not normally very fussy, but what everyone else has said is right. The changing area is just a hallway with sme curtained cubicles off it, the curtains are quite old. They give you a bath robe, which is very old, thin and fading blue robe, nothing like the nice plush white ones you'd expect to get at a 4-5star hotel.

On the bright side The massage bed was quite comfortable and the room was dimly lit for ,y massage, which is an improvement over other reviews here. Also I didn't hear any voices/talking during my massage which is also an improvement.

MASSAGE:
The staff were very friendly. Rochelle asked before starting about particular focus areas, any injuries I had and also the firmness of massage that I wanted. She did a great job of finding and relieving knots in my back and was able to push quite firmly. She was very friendly and checked every so often if the firmness of the deep tissue massage was just right.

My only complaint here would be that the oil they used seemed rather "dry" for lack of a better word, and wasn't as smooth or moisturising as I'm used to at other day spas.

FACIAL:
My wife says her 1hr facial was great and didn't deviate from normal facial routines. She left feeling very relaxed with great skin and says the face and head massage were great and the staff were very nice.

Overall, much cheaper than willow tree at the Banff Springs Hotel, and a good use of time to combine a massage and the hit springs on our busy schedule. The massage was good, and the hot springs were nice to soak in. The facilities are old and feel quite cheap. Hopefully they get new robes soon.

2 Thank Sarandir
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Time”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Booked a couples massage at 1pm for 5pm the same day and staff were more than accommodating. Upon arrival there was no issues and we were given our SANDALS with robe and locks for our lockers. The change rooms are unisex but not a big deal there are change rooms. The massage was great however at one point you could hear people in the hall talking which was distracting. The masseuse exited the room and returned within a minute and the people stopped talking. It was relaxing and staff were very friendly and professional. Would deff. go back.

Visited November 2011