“A wonderful wedding venue”

Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 24 May 2017

RMR was chosen as the host hotel and reception venue for a wedding. Right from the start the staff was professional, experienced in planning and most helpful in creating a memorable wedding experience. There was nothing left to chance - all aspects of the rehearsal dinner and wedding reception were very well planned and looked after. The front reception staff was so pleasant and accommodating. The Food and Beverage Manager was always on hand making sure all the setup was looked after. The chef created a very tasty buffet that caused some guests to say - best roast beef ever! Even the general manager of the resort was on hand to make sure that everything was going along as it should. I would not hesitate in recommending this venue as a great place to host any event! Well done staff!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed 23 May 2017

While planning for our third family stay at the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort I was hesitant. My hesitation resulted from reading several reviews of this property which had raised concerns regarding the pool area, cleanliness, and staffing. My hesitations proved unfounded:
*while the pool was closed for the first half of our stay when it re-opened it was much improved over past years;
*while not pristine, the rooms we occupied where clean as were the dishes, sheets, and bathrooms;
*where this resort shone was in the professional, courteous, and helpful care provided by the staff--kudos folks.
Bottom line, would I recommend this resort to friends, yes but ask for a renovated suite/unit.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated suite/unit
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2017

2 bedroom suite was fine. Clean and well cared for. The only drawback was the water pressure grew weaker as the water temperature increased. Nice walk into town along highway, or a very long walk along Tunnel Mountain Highway which has fantastic views of the Bow Valley.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2017

The "1 bedrm suite" was very small....the bedroom didn't have enough room even for a small suitcase, let alone a surface to put it on. The double closet doors just barely cleared the side of the bed when they were opened, and in general it was just shabby and very tired looking.....
We were upgraded, (for an additional chg.) to a larger suite which was actually pretty good, but again the furniture well used and the carpeting in need of replacement. Also, it was on the second floor of the "block", and the outside stairs were very well worn and strewn with small pebbles and rocks. They needed a good sweeping. If a person slipped on one of the rocks, it was a long way down and ends up on a cement landing. Not Good!!

There was also a "smell"...a combination of the wood smoke from the wood burning fireplace, and a 'mildewy' odor, that we noticed upon entering the suites (both of them) upon entering them. The place has been around since 1988, and is (at the core) a good facility, but it needs some upgrading. Even something as minor as new lampshades would make a big difference . It appears that the bathtub enclosure was more a recent addition in our suite, , which was nice.
There's also a "bistro" off the lobby, but it wasn't very inviting....very dark and drab looking. Nice outdoor seating available, however, unfortunately at this time of year too cool to take advantage of.

The front desk staff were great, but the property really is in need of some TLC!! It would give them more to work with!!
We met friends there who came from Northern Alberta for a visit, and it was on my recommendation that we chose this accommodation. I felt quite badly, since was my idea....It's not a place we would recommend, unfortunately.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

So we booked a loft suite (double plus a sofa bed) in hope that this would allow myself and my partner to both get a good night sleep (most nights we sleep apart due to his snoring. Can't be helped - but even with ear plugs and other preventative measures, he keeps me awake the majority of the time). The loft suite, costing more than the one bedroom suite (same number of beds; just the bedroom is separated by walls and a door) is useless for keeping the noise down as there are no separating walls it's all open and so sound echoes. Even the tv kept me awake when he had that on in the lounge area. Also, you can hear the other guests through the floor. Crying baby and microwave dings every two seconds. Great.

Not the cleanest rooms - furniture covered in dust and found long black hair in my bed - gross! Wouldn't stay again. Also this hotel is on the outskirts of town and far from any civilisation and barely walkable especially in the winter months. Free shuttle in to town is great but not always reliable as it gets full and can run late.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I stayed here for two nights on business. Loved the upgrade to a loft suite; much better than the rather ordinary ground-floor the last time. Staff were friendly and room was reasonably clean. A bit noisy with passing trains in the night, but what place in Banff isn't? Would stay there again if in a loft suite.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I rented a two bedroom suite in the month of September 2016. I had just gone through major stomach surgery and wanted a place to get away and relax. Unfortunately, it was the complete opposite. We were placed in a run down two bedroom suite. Everything was dirty and breaking down. But the worst was the bug bites we were getting from the couch and beds. The first night I spend the night scratching and getting off the bed to walk around most of the night. I thought maybe I was just feeling things that weren't there. But the second night, I was being bitten on my scalp and body. At one point, in the middle of the night, I jumped off the bed, headed to the bathroom to take a shower, and while pulling my pyjamas top off, a bug jumped off me and into the sink. That was it for me. One of my biggest fears, was that these bugs, (which we suspected to be bedbugs), were going to get into my open wounds. That morning at around 7 am, my fiancée and I headed to the front desk to speak with the manager. He offered us a newer suite and we accepted. He also promised that all our belongings would be moved to our newer suite, while we went into the city for a post op appointment that I had. When we returned around 5 p.m., all our belongings we're still in the bug infested suite. My fiancée had to move everything by himself. Once in the new suite, we checked everything carefully and found a questionable substance on the tv in one of the rooms. That was taken care immediately by the hotel. No one at the hotel offered any kind of compensation or even to help us disenfect our clothes, so we don't carry these bugs elsewhere. Needless to say, we opened our suitecases, removed all the clothes, put them in a plastic bag, and spend lots of money and time washing and disenfecting all,our belongings. It was the worst 6 days I have spend anywhere. We left a day early, cause our trip was already ruined and I just couldn't get myself to relax. The whole ordeal was overwhelming. I will never return to Banff Rocky Mountain Resort.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Angela M
Management_RMR, General Manager at Banff Rocky Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

There is no chance you encountered bed bugs during your stay 8 months ago. These occurrences are very rare at Rocky Mountain Resort and although all hotels experience this from time to time, hotels maintain structures, protocols, and logs to quickly and aggressively fix it. Our logs indicate no such activities for at least the last 14 months.

That being said, I am very sorry that you had a negative experience with us and I invite you to contact me directly to discuss it further. Due to the length of time between your stay and your review, I can not recall the other details of your stay.