“If you want bargin and free breakfast, that's the choice for you”
Review of Banff Voyager Inn

Banff Voyager Inn
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Thailand
“If you want bargin and free breakfast, that's the choice for you”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The mattress is old, and has no air-conditioning. The breakfast is great with cereal, bread, muffin and fresh fruits cocktail.

Room Tip: Open the window for better air circulation and bring your own body lotion.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank strawberrythailand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We made reservations online. Sometimes you win and in this case, you lose. The room was very very small, no air conditioning in any rooms, no fridge, no microwave. The rug was stained and dirty and the door to the balcony did not lock. The balcony opened to no view whatsoever but a short cement wall in the parking area. We had reserved for two nights but ended up leaving right away and found a great place nearby for a couple of bucks more.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lottie543

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

Moose Jaw, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The first thing I have recognize is that Voyager Inn doesn't have rubber bath mats. As far as I am concern it is not safe at all when you jump in to the tub or getting off the tub without rubber bath mats. I slipped and fortunately did not have any injuries. Another thing is Voyager Inn does not have fridge in the rooms or don't offer fridge services at all. It is not convenient at all for a more than one night stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TagaPilipinas
Okanagan Falls, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2011

we booked this hotel as it was the least expensive in touristy Banff
were greeted by a friendly Aussie lass , thats where the good part ended
we could not get into our room ...the punchcard keys did not open the door
luckily a cleaner went by and used his master key to let us in ..
wife went down to the front desk and explained about the keys she said that we
'were doing it wrong' and try again ...we did and of course nothing
called her and she sent a worker up who fiddled with it for sometime to find ...the keys didn't work !
room spartan but okay , we went out for a walk returning some hours later
to find that the temp was around 30+c / 90F the thermostat did not work so I called again ...the AC did not work I was told ...what will we do ? she said that she would call the manager ...after an hour she related that the manager offered a 'special deal for us ...give another $20 and they would upgrade us to the hotel next door which did have AC ( Spruce grove )
we had a dinner appointment so we told her to tell the mgr that this was not acceptable ...arriving back alter the night desk clerk said that they agreed to move us this time for no extra cash , it was minight by then , we had to pack up all our stuff ...the clerk gave us the keys and told us where to drive to , when we did the keys would not let us into the parking garage ...had to leave the car
go back while he fiddled then came up with another set which finally did work
got our stuff up the elevator , we were dripping wet with sweat and stopped by the cold vending machine scraped up 2 bucks for water only to have it eat our
money and give nothing ...we kind of lost it and banged the machine hoping it would cough up the dough , but instead we woke up the people who were in the room across the hall ..they were pissed !
we apologized and went into the room , which was cool at least we called the desk clerk again he promised to reimburse us ...the wife went down to the car and actually met the clerk coming back , he apologized saying that the machine had been broken for a couple of days but no one had put the sign up ...all in all
a real unpleasant experience , not relaxing at all
we would not return or recommend this place

to find the room about 30+c , lowered the thermostat

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank laurenceposh
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2011

(this even happened a little earlier than April 2010) While traveling through Alberta I made the mistake of staying at this hotel. I figured since it was on the edge of town it would be cheaper, and I didn't mind walking if it gave me some extra money to prolong my Western adventure. Big mistake! I should have paid the extra money and stayed somewhere (anywhere!) else.

The young lady at check in was the one saving grace of this awful place. She was very pleasant and curious as to why I was in Banff, and even pointed out a few places I should check out in town (non touristy things, like the Tunnel Mountain trail).

My first impression of the room was the smell, it was awful! Supposedly a non-smoking room but the smell told me otherwise. The bathroom looked like the cleaning staff had put in a good effort, but it's hard to make 70's era equipment look clean. The beds were made up nice but the covers were very faded and ratty looking. Torn up bits of carpet along the baseboards and holes in the walls completed the decor. I have to give the housekeepers credit, they were very friendly and greeted me every time I encountered them in the hall, but they're fighting a losing battle.

I checked out the restaurant to see what they offered for breakfast. The buffet looked like a decent spread but I wanted something a bit more filling so decided to look elsewhere. While I was looking around I overheard a large man with a greasy looking mullet (a manager of sorts, by his conversation) complaining about one of the cooks to a waitress, going on about various personal problems that he was having (which I won't repeat here) in full hearing of everyone in the restaurant! How awful, when you can't even depend on your manager not to air your dirty laundry in public. He looked over and saw me glaring at him and had the audacity to wink at me! I hightailed it out of there as fast as I could.

So if looking for a "cheap" place to stay in Banff, please save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else in town. Every single one of the hostels in Banff are better than this dump, and the managers are not even close to creepy!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank lilirish_gypsy
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2011

As frequent Banff visitors, my friends and I will NEVER stay at the Voyager Inn again! We were there for a few hours and we stepped onto the balcony for a smoke, we came back into the room and house keeping was in there. They accused us of breaking into the room (over a huge balcony..) after we showed them our IDs and Room Keys they brought us to the lobby in front of everyone and the manager yelled at us, told us we were sketchy and said she had no record of us being in the room. After she realized she was wrong - instead of apologizing to us - she yelled at housekeeping, trying to put the blame on them. When we checked out a few days later we spoke with another manager explained what happened and told her how embarrassed we were, she sluffed it off and said she needed to speak with housekeeping to get their side of the story. We never got an apology, the way this whole situation was handled was VERY unprofessional and I would NEVER recommend this hotel to ANYONE!!! It's no cheaper than the other hotels in Banff and it's far from downtown. Unfortunatly this was NOT the only incident we had with this hotel but I'm not going to drag this on any further. They honestly ruined the only thing they could have had going for them - friendly staff. I hope this will help you when choosing a place to stay on your trip!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank floyd_ispink
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2011

room was chilled at 15 C asked the staff very late response and gave a portable heater said this is a common problem in winter as the hotel is old and has water heating which is not effective. room lacked cleanliness, half of the lights were not working, poor bedding, worst cable signal on tv. internet was down most of the three days stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank aulakhs
BanffVoyagerInn, Guest Services Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this review, 7 April 2011
Thank you for your comments.

The problems with this unit have been addressed. We have updated our procedures to make sure this situation does not happen in the future.

On behalf of staff and management we apologize for the issues that occured during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on cleanliness and are sorry this unit was not to our standards. We appreciate the feedback and we will work hard to ensure we meet your standards in the future.